Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Lombardi - New VP of Player Personnel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
Took awhile but i found it

Speak to the hand

Can't see it from my work comp... is it the blowing brains out emoticon?

I bet it is

I know it is

#JDI
Entropy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
Entropy wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
brownie man wrote:
I'm still hoping we bring in a GM..

Halsem in his intro repeatedly referred to hiring Lombardi as GM, I didnt hear him say VPofPP once... I wouldnt expect another 'gm' to be hired.

it sounds like a group of ppl will act as the GM. It sounds like responsibilities of the GMs job has been broken up and been given to other ppl. I think thats best

I especially liked how Banner said that if 2 people really like a guy and 2 others really don't, they should be looking at someone else.

If there was a person with final say, he could potentially pick someone that few others (even nobody) really wanted.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what has happened many times in the past with the Browns as well as in the NFL.

Don't forget that Lombardi didn't like Haden. So he votes no, Banner votes no and we don't have Haden. And this is what worries the heck out of me about this philosophy. Lombardi has proven to be a hack when it comes to evaluating talent. We could miss out on good players because he doesn't think they're good

In your hypothetical, how do you know who would have been picked for the 2010 Browns in the 2010 draft? Lombardi was a media analyst with no real inside info into the Browns, so how do you know what his opinion would be if he had instead been a person really responsible for a pick and not just another person with an outside opinion trying to earn a paycheck for garnering interest in his column?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
Took awhile but i found it

Speak to the hand

Can't see it from my work comp... is it the blowing brains out emoticon?

I bet it is

I know it is

You know me to well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Lombardi's first round draft picks:

with Browns
1992 Touchdown Tommy Vardell
1993 Steve Everitt
1994 Antonio Langham
1995 Craig Powell

with Philly
1998 William Thomas

with Oakland
1999 Matt Stinchomb
2000 Sebastian Janikowski
2001 Derrick Gibson
2002 Phil Buchanon
2003 Nnami Asomuga
2004 Robert Gallery
2005 Fabian Washington
2006 Michael Huff
2007 Jamarcus Russell

So here are a total of 14 drafts that Lombardi either ran or had a say in the picks. Out of these picks, one was a first round fullback, one was a first round kicker, six were defensive backs, 3 OTs, one center, one QB and one linebacker.

Here are the Browns first round picks since coming back into the NFL
1999 Tim Couch
2000 Courtney Brown
2001 Gerard Warren
2002 William Green
2003 Jeff Faine
2004 Kellen Winslow II
2005 Braylon Edwards
2006 Kamerion Wimbley
2007 Joe Thomas
2007 Brady Quinn
2008 No one
2009 Alex Mack
2010 Joe Haden
2011 Phil Taylor
2012 Trent Richardson
2012 Brandon Weeden.

There were 3 QBs taken, 2 RBs taken, 1 OT, 2 centers, 3 DL, 1 CB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 OLB....
The crazy part is I think that the Browns have drafted better first round talent than Lombardi has drafted overall talent wherever he has picked.

Also who the hell drafts a fullback and a kicker in the first round???
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously there never was a real look at GM's(except maybe the Rooney Rule) as there were no known or publicized interviews for this position. Banner made a deal with him many moons ago as he wanted final " say" in personnel. I understand the business part but do not understand the BS behind the "search for GM" and the process which Haslam and Banner stated. I hope I am wrong and they hire a real GM.
buno67

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewWorldOrder wrote:

with Browns
1993 Steve Everitt
1994 Antonio Langham
1995 Craig Powell

with Philly
1998 William Thomas

with Oakland
1999 Matt Stinchomb
2001 Derrick Gibson
2002 Phil Buchanon
2003 Nnami Asomuga
2004 Robert Gallery
2005 Fabian Washington
2006 Michael Huff
2007 Jamarcus Russell

So here are a total of 14 drafts that Lombardi either ran or had a say in the picks. Out of these picks, one was a first round fullback, one was a first round kicker, six were defensive backs, 3 OTs, one center, one QB and one linebacker.

1999 Tim Couch
2000 Courtney Brown
2001 Gerard Warren
2002 William Green
2003 Jeff Faine
2004 Kellen Winslow II
2005 Braylon Edwards
2006 Kamerion Wimbley
2007 Joe Thomas
2007 Brady Quinn
2008 No one
2009 Alex Mack
2010 Joe Haden
2011 Phil Taylor
2012 Trent Richardson
2012 Brandon Weeden.

There were 3 QBs taken, 2 RBs taken, 1 OT, 2 centers, 3 DL, 1 CB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 OLB....
The crazy part is I think that the Browns have drafted better first round talent than Lombardi has drafted overall talent wherever he has picked.

Tra Thomas, one of the best LTs in eagles History, Stinchomb ruined by careers, SeaBass i know he was drafted in the 1st but a huge vital part to the raiders Superbowl team, Derrick Gibson complete bust, Phil Buchanon was a solid DB, gets traded because of Scrabble becoming a legit star. Gallary ruined by coaches, Fabian Washington was a pretty decent player, Huff is a baller IMO, Jamarcus Russell sucked but the Raiders were in a huge need of a QB but every QB drafted that year was awful, so the raiders were just screwed.

I say the comparing drafts are very similar. The one thing I like is ML will be drafting for what looks like a great coaching staff. This will be the best coaching staff he has ever worked with specially if Horton does come to Cleveland. The great thing with having Chud, Norv, and possibly a great DC is they will have an idea of what players they need for their schemes and can relate that to ML and his scouting staff.

I like it that we hired our coaching staff before the "GM" or talent scout because to me that shows they were more important to fill first

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewWorldOrder wrote:

with Browns
1993 Steve Everitt
1994 Antonio Langham
1995 Craig Powell

with Philly
1998 William Thomas

with Oakland
1999 Matt Stinchomb
2001 Derrick Gibson
2002 Phil Buchanon
2003 Nnami Asomuga
2004 Robert Gallery
2005 Fabian Washington
2006 Michael Huff
2007 Jamarcus Russell

1999 Tim Couch
2000 Courtney Brown
2001 Gerard Warren
2002 William Green
2003 Jeff Faine
2004 Kellen Winslow II
2005 Braylon Edwards
2006 Kamerion Wimbley
2007 Joe Thomas
2007 Brady Quinn
2008 No one
2009 Alex Mack
2010 Joe Haden
2011 Phil Taylor
2012 Trent Richardson
2012 Brandon Weeden.

Know what's even more fun than using your imagination to pretend one person was responsible for all of these picks?

Putting yourself in the position to be responsible for making all the first round draft picks without knowledge of how they would turn out years later.

Show us who you would have picked in those situations. And don't use the actual outcome.

It should be pretty fun to criticize picking an offensive or defensive lineman for the 1992 Browns, or reaching for a WR or a QB.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no word that can describe my feelings when I saw MKC's tweets that hour.

I felt like self-immolating
TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
In your hypothetical, how do you know who would have been picked for the 2010 Browns in the 2010 draft? Lombardi was a media analyst with no real inside info into the Browns, so how do you know what his opinion would be if he had instead been a person really responsible for a pick and not just another person with an outside opinion trying to earn a paycheck for garnering interest in his column?

We don't know, but it's the idea behind the whole thing. The possibility of missing out on great players due to poor scouting doesn't sit well with me

I was using Haden as an example
Entropy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
Entropy wrote:

We don't know, but it's the idea behind the whole thing. The possibility of missing out on great players due to poor scouting doesn't sit well with me

But there is no one that removes that possibility. In fact, it happens to every team in every draft.

Seems like a consensus decision can reduce that likelihood more than a single person with final say since more minds will be involved.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
Entropy wrote:

You could use Gordon as an example to. Lombardi thought that was really bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following the BROWNS since 1965 & thought I had seen it all. With this hire of Lombardi, I just don't understand it, with his terrible past record of draft picks. Do they see something the rest of us don't? Will he suddenly get-it(drafting), or is there a motive we don't see? I really like the hires on the coaching staff but the Lombardi hire(they do know this isn't Vince, right?) baffles me.

elfman
Entropy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
TeHDruiD wrote:
Entropy wrote:

You could use Gordon as an example to. Lombardi thought that was really bad.

Yes, when he was working for NFLN and his job was to promote interest in his employer.

It's also true that many other media personalities didn't like the pick, along with some NFL teams. It actually was widely criticized.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me sum up my stance

I do like the group approach to making decisions, I just worry that someone less informed than the others will be able to veto any decision. That way is better than 1 guy saying this is who we're taking whether you like it or not, but the group approach seems like a fight waiting to happen

Lets say for example Chud and Norv absolutely love a WR or TE and they want him badly. The other 2 guys don't like. Lombardi starts pounding the table saying no no no (or vice versa), it just doesn't seem productive. I feel like there will be a lot of power struggles when it comes to personnel decisions which in the end could cost us great players. Or lead to us picking busts

Lombardi is a height/weight/speed guy, that worries the hell out of me as well. I do NOT want this team to be the Raiders
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
Let me sum up my stance

I do like the group approach to making decisions, I just worry that someone less informed than the others will be able to veto any decision. That way is better than 1 guy saying this is who we're taking whether you like it or not, but the group approach seems like a fight waiting to happen

Lets say for example Chud and Norv absolutely love a WR or TE and they want him badly. The other 2 guys don't like. Lombardi starts pounding the table saying no no no (or vice versa), it just doesn't seem productive. I feel like there will be a lot of power struggles when it comes to personnel decisions which in the end could cost us great players. Or lead to us picking busts

Lombardi is a height/weight/speed guy, that worries the hell out of me as well. I do NOT want this team to be the Raiders

Or maybe the guy that Lombardi likes turns out to be the better player. His track record is not good, but we have to hope that the talent evaluation overall will be better. It has to come from the lowest of scouts, all the way up.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: