Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What we should expect from the Saints this offseason?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: What we should expect from the Saints this offseason? Reply with quote

One would think with the worst defense in NFL history that the Saints would be in a situation where they are looking for a new defensive coordinator and a mass exodus of defensive personnel is looming. While both could still be possibilities once Sean Payton is reinstated by the NFL, the odds of Spagnuolo losing his job seem slim at best. Steve Spagnuolo was Sean Payton’s handpicked choice to run his defense and I doubt he’ll throw him under the bus before he gets a chance to work side by side with him for a full season. Also, the fact that Payton will be getting a late start in targeting new coaches for his staff likely means the staff he currently has will get a pass on this previous season for the most part.

Having said all that, It’s hard to really tell how much of our defensive woes were due in fact to bad coaching. What I do know is that a lot of coaches under Payton have become complacent under his watch while others have clearly underperformed. While many on here praised Joe Vitt (myself included) for his effort this season as our interim coach and rightfully so but in all honesty his performance as our linebackers coach since his arrival in New Orleans has been adequate at best. Bill Johnson has been abysmal as our defensive line coach while our secondary coach was the only coach Spagnuolo brought over with him from St. Louis and will likely get a pass along with Spags for this season.

The Players on the other hand represent a mixture of age, youth, overpaid, underperforming and in over their head. I firmly believe that this offseason the Saints will absolutely look to cut the dead weight that has been holding this franchise back. Beloved players such as Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith, Pierre Thomas, Roman Harper and Devery Henderson could all be victims of an in house cleaning in an effort to get this roster younger, cheaper and more athletic around Drew Brees. Other players like Sedrick Ellis, Turk McBride, Zach Strief, Johnny Patrick & Will Herring could find themselves simply cut due to poor on field performance.

While most of these guys the Saints will simply want to separate themselves from and have no intentions of trying to attempt to keep, there will be a select few players that will surely be approached this offseason to restructure their contract in order to help the club’s cap situation and if they refuse could also find themselves out the door. Players such as Jahri Evans, Brodrick Bunkley & Jabari Greer could all find themselves in this category.

So what should we expect from the Saints this offseason?

A lot of movement actually…

Now I don’t see them being major players for free agency’s top flight players, I do see the Saints targeting younger players at positions of need and I expect the Saints to make a few surprise signings. I think they will be active in their approach of who they keep and who they let go, I feel Loomis will restructure and terminate more player contracts this offseason than he has in the previous 5 years. I see Payton and Loomis becoming active on draft day and look to acquire more picks while also landing an impact defender on defense.

In a word, AGGRESSIVE is what I expect of the Saints this offseason. As far as whom they will target or what they are looking for… who knows! Still way too early for that but if you listen to the comments of Mickey Loomis about their approach to this coming offseason, it seems that he is fully aware that much is expected this of this franchise during this time from their deprived fan base and he seems to be fully onboard with it and for someone who just negotiated a 5 year deal with Sean Payton… I’m sure some discussions were held about this very topic.

Here’s hoping to a very active and productive offseason… WHODAT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. I want a 3-4 defense so bad.

DE - Akiem Hicks
NT - Brodrick Bunkley
DE - Cameron Jordan

OLB - Dion Jordan
ILB - Curtis Lofton
ILB - David Hawthorne
OLB - Martez Wilson

That just screams youth and potential. PLEASE SEAN PAYTON, PLEASE!

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:

DE - Akiem Hicks
NT - Brodrick Bunkley
DE - Cameron Jordan

OLB - Dion Jordan
ILB - Curtis Lofton
ILB - David Hawthorne
OLB - Martez Wilson

Harp...

That's just the front seven with only our 15th overall pick (Dion Jordan). I think the Saints could then focus on my personal FA fav this offseaon Ravens cornerback Cary Williams to go along with Robinson and White. Maybe trade up into the 2nd round to get a quality SS.

My oh my... the 34 has so much potential in the big easy!!!

Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

DE - Akiem Hicks
NT - Brodrick Bunkley
DE - Cameron Jordan

OLB - Dion Jordan
ILB - Curtis Lofton
ILB - David Hawthorne
OLB - Martez Wilson

Harp...

That's just the front seven with only our 15th overall pick (Dion Jordan). I think the Saints could then focus on my personal FA fav this offseaon Ravens cornerback Cary Williams to go along with Robinson and White. Maybe trade up into the 2nd round to get a quality SS.

My oh my... the 34 has so much potential in the big easy!!!

It sucks that this is such a pipe dream and it wouldn't even be possible until next year if Spags gets fired Sad

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It sucks that this is such a pipe dream and it wouldn't even be possible until next year if Spags gets fired

That's exactly why I've been saying that if it were up to me (and it's not Crying or Very sad ) that I'd fire Spags now. I just feel the 34 gives us the best chance to field a quality defense with the type of players (defenders) coming out of the college ranks these days. I think our current personnel also would benefit from it, or at least our young core defenders.

I also love how people say Lofton and Hawthorne couldent make it inside in a 34 too... Laughing

Hawthorne played for Gary Patterson at TCU and Lofton Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. In both those defenses both players played and exceled in multi front defensive schemes including a 34 look. Both are big backers at 240-245 lbs and 5'11-6'0. I actually feel they both would excel inside in a 34.

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with Spags having another year and staying in a 4-3.

What I expect from the Saints is being ruthless. This D gave up the the most yards in history. Not many people should be safe.

Smith, Ellis, Vilma and Harper simply do not have enough say to stay in this D. Especially with their contracts. We're $14.5M over the cap, they should absolutely be gone.

From there, I hope we go to youth. Get some guys in who are hungry and want to challenge for spots. Also willing to learn and adapt to the system.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
I'm fine with Spags having another year and staying in a 4-3.

What I expect from the Saints is being ruthless. This D gave up the the most yards in history. Not many people should be safe.

Smith, Ellis, Vilma and Harper simply do not have enough say to stay in this D. Especially with their contracts. We're $14.5M over the cap, they should absolutely be gone.

From there, I hope we go to youth. Get some guys in who are hungry and want to challenge for spots. Also willing to learn and adapt to the system.

Young, cheap and athletic is the way to go on defense these days... the league is changing and the read option is yet another wrinkle defense's will have to prepare for. We need young fresh legs that are hungry like you said. Players that are looking to make a name instead of living off of one.

Raves

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for players that spags drafted with the giants and rams that are gonna be free agents being targeted

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Look for players that spags drafted with the giants and rams that are gonna be free agents being targeted

Bring'em in... can't be worse than what we have now, could it? Shocked

Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:

I wouldn't call em an improvement. The only good player that comes to mind is Kenny Phillips, and he can't stay healthy.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:

I wouldn't call em an improvement. The only good player that comes to mind is Kenny Phillips, and he can't stay healthy.

tru dat...

The #1 free agent I want this offseason is CB Cary Williams of the Ravens!

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scared we'll go for Osi.

I can't be the only one who doesn't want him can I?

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
I'm scared we'll go for Osi.

I can't be the only one who doesn't want him can I?

Osi not the same player he once was... but would still be the best pass rusher on our team.

I don't want him because of the money factor.

Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut
Smith, Vilma and Jenkins

Redo contracts with
Harper and Greer

Sign
Connor Barwin
Kedric Golston
D.J Moore

Draft
1. Trade down for a late 1st, 2nd 2014, 3rd

1.Alex Okafor TX
3.John Simon OHS
3. Chris Faulk LSU
4.CB
5.WR
6.RB

most importantly what I haven't heard is mentality. The team need fresh legs and mentality. If every one shows up to camp with the though that they can make the team, or that they can get cut, we should be in good shape. I mean with all the new hires why should'nt we clean house of players that cannot perform?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: