Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

now to the offseason...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
And Jimmy Johnson, who coached Aikman called Ponder the worst QB in the NFL. Let's ignore that

http://www.zimbio.com/Christian+Ponder/articles/zqq8bRI6JaC/Fox+Analyst+Jimmy+Johnson+calls+Christian

and not long after that was saying how Ponder had improved and was managing his duties well enough to help the team win. you can focus on what you want to, but you're guilty of less than a full story reporting too.

not to mention Jimmy J tweeted how Marc Trestman was going to be hired by the Bears over the weekend. both Trestman and the Bears denied the story to be true.

what else ya got?

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is about the offseason, we dont need another discussion about Christian Ponder, he has his own thread.

Ponder isnt relevant to the offseason discussion anyway since his isnt at risk of losing his job.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fine.by.me.

thank you.

Webmaster wrote:
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point is;

We need to have an open QB competition this year.

Cut Webb and our third stringer, bring in a guy like Matt Moore, draft a QB in the middle round, and then have an open competition and whoever wins, wins.

We also need to see about replacing our QB coach and our WR coach.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
Point is;

Cut Webb and our third stringer, bring in a guy like Matt Moore, draft a QB in the middle round, and then have an open competition and whoever wins, wins.

I dont think its likely based on what Spielman and Frazier have indicated. An open competition sounds good in theory, I think the job will be handed to Ponder. The backup spots could be open for a competition between Webb, a free agent, MBT and/or a rookie. I wouldnt spend a lot of money or picks on that player, someone like Matt Moore could command $4-5 million per year, is it really worth it? That is basically a mid tier free agent starter at WR, DT or LB.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Heck, the Vikes might as well move up in the draft to get Bjoern . . . now that's a Viking name! Cool Oh, wait a sec, he's a DE that might, or might not crack the 2nd string this year, but at the cost of a top-10 pick? The point of the offseason is to improve the team in feasible fashion, so, maybe a mid-round gem at QB would improve the team . . . not sure about that, but if the Vikes moved up into the latter part of the 3rd Rd to get a guy they believe will be capable of stepping into the starting role should Ponder get injured, then sure . . . but there are other positions to consider.

I for one, do not condone the Vikes bringing in a QB with 3-8 years experience "to compete with or push Ponder." I think the behind the scenes stuff with Sage was what got him sent packing.

Now, if MBT really can play, let him show it. If some guy with real intelligence and a cannon is sitting there in the 4th or 5th, maybe he's worth a serious look.

In reading up on some of the draft prospects, there are some really good young WRs coming out. There are some beheamoth NTs coming out. And the LBs have some studs too. Given the depth of these positions expected, I think the Vikes can draft wisely and get major upgrades at the positions they most need to upgrade. Even CB or OG could be the Vikes first round pick this year . . . Wink

I'm waiting until the All-star games and the combine are finished before I rack and stack and put my thoughts down on who goes where, but it promises to be exciting.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a breakdown, with current 2013 cap numbers in parentheses, plus a list of 14 players who finished the season on the 53-man roster and are unsigned for next season:

Signed through 2013
DE Jared Allen ($17,063,956)
CB Antoine Winfield ($7.25 million)
DE Brian Robison ($6,666,668)
G Charlie Johnson ($4.35 million)*
WR Michael Jenkins ($3,916,668)
WR Percy Harvin ($2,678,800)
NT Fred Evans ($1.75 million)
P Chris Kluwe ($1.45 million)
CB Chris Cook ($1.25 million)
HB Toby Gerhart ($958,500)
DL Everson Griffen ($710,000)
DE George Johnson ($630,000)
QB Joe Webb ($598,131)
LB Tyrone McKenzie ($555,000)
LB Larry Dean ($555,000)
QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson ($482,500)
RB Matt Asiata ($480,000)

Signed through 2014
DT Kevin Williams ($7.5 million)
DT Letroy Guion ($2.8 million)
QB Christian Ponder ($2,770,554)
TE Kyle Rudolph ($1,262,687)
LS Cullen Loeffler ($1.05 million)
DT Christian Ballard ($687,666)
CB Brandon Burton ($612,937)
OL DeMarcus Love ($590,581)
S Mistral Raymond ($589,612)
G Brandon Fusco ($588,917)
DE D'Aundre Reed ($570,672)
WR Stephen Burton ($555,000)
P T.J. Conley ($480,000)
CB Nick Taylor ($405,000)
DT Chase Baker ($405,000)
RB Joe Banyard ($405,000)
TE LaMark Brown ($405,000)
CB Bobby Felder ($405,000)
TE Chase Ford ($405,000)
OL Tyler Holmes ($405,000)
CB Greg McCoy ($405,000)
OL Kevin Murphy ($405,000)
WR Chris Summers ($405,000)

Signed through 2015
LB Chad Greenway ($8.7 million)
T Matt Kalil ($4,493,318)
S Harrison Smith ($1,622,397)
CB Josh Robinson ($689,250)
WR Jarius Wright ($585,027)
TE Rhett Ellison ($555,146)
S Robert Blanton ($532,763)
PK Blair Walsh ($509,483)
LB Audie Cole ($496,875)
WR Greg Childs ($480,146)

Signed through 2016
C John Sullivan ($4.25 million)
TE John Carlson ($4 million)

Signed through 2017
HB Adrian Peterson ($13.9 million)

Unsigned (14)
WR Devin Aromashodu
OL Joe Berger
LB Jasper Brinkley
FB Jerome Felton
LB Erin Henderson
OT Phil Loadholt
LB Marvin Mitchell
S Jamarca Sanford
OL Geoff Schwartz
WR Jerome Simpson
CB A.J. Jefferson#
OL Troy Kropog#
S Andrew Sendejo@
CB Marcus Sherels@

* Contract through 2015, but voidable after 2013
# Restricted free agent
@ Exclusive rights free agent

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Whos_signed_whos_not_for_2013_Jared_Allens_cap_number_over_17M011613

Webmaster wrote:
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So three real extension options I see on the team/rework contracts, Charlie Johnson, he isn't good but he can back up LT and LG if they replace him as a starter. Kevin Williams, making a lot of money for his production, not terrible value, but give him a longer deal, and Jared Allen, extend him out another four/five years and drop the cap number this year.

http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-team-cap-space-6/

For comparision, Vikings projected cap versus other projected caps. 10 teams have more money than they do, also 10 teams are likely over the cap assuming those numbers are accurate, which leaves 1 team with the same amount of cap space, and 10 teams with less.

Lil Uno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following Greg Childs on Twitter, he hinted that he is already running again a few days ago. Between what he said to reporters last week and what he's been saying on Twitter, I'm starting to get the feeling he could be ready for training camp.

How effective he could be is a whole nother story.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
Point is;

We can have an open competition, but If Ponder wins, all the doubters will just run and say "Oh, well it wasn't a real competition".

I agree. I think going after a guy like Matt Moore and Landry Jones/Tyler Bray/whoever would be a very smart option, but its not going to change people's opinion.

If Ponder wins: "It wasn't a real competition"

If Ponder loses: "He's a bust. Terrible QB".

Its a win-win for the doubters.

and this is relevant to the offseason because its discussing a competition at a position.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VD . . . are those numbers alarming to you? I had no idea Everson Griffin was being paid $150k more than Reed . . . wow. Shocked

All thing considered, that's a lot of personnel to re-sign or part ways with in the next 2 years. I'd love to see Jared sign another 6 or 7 years because he's the type of guy that can produce well into his late 30s -- to the tune of 12 - 14 sacks a year.

K-will could restructure, but I don't see that happening just yet and sadly I can't think of one Vikings DT that started and ended a 10+ year career with the team. Alan Page, Henry Thomas, Keith Millard, John Randle and several others all moved on to other teams after their first couple of contracts expired with the Vikes.

I don't envy the brass trying to figure this out, but with a couple more good drafts and re-signing some/most of the current players, the Vikes roster should remain competitive the next few years -- if not get better.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
VD . . . are those numbers alarming to you? I had no idea Everson Griffin was being paid $150k more than Reed . . . wow. Shocked

Griffen was a 4th round draft pick, his salary scale was low, He has performed great for the Vikings collectively. I hope we can look after him towards the end of the offseason (after we deal with more pressing issues earlier)

I hope we do essentially the same thing with DETs high 4th rounder (like we did with Everson). Take the high potential guy, who dropped. If anything they can be a high flying special teams player, before given opportunities to be a another starter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Following Greg Childs on Twitter, he hinted that he is already running again a few days ago. Between what he said to reporters last week and what he's been saying on Twitter, I'm starting to get the feeling he could be ready for training camp.

How effective he could be is a whole nother story.

I also follow him on twitter...I am really pulling for him. Seems to have the right attittude. However we CANNOT rush him back. Start him on PUP put him on IR whatever. Lots of questions at the WR position....
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Griffen is a player that must be resigned. He is more vital going forward than Brian Robison given the age difference.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He really should not be counted on as anything more then #6 option right now. Build the WR core assuming he wont be available at camp. If he exceeds expectations, and returns (tho I wont rush him) thats an additional benefit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 12 of 90

Jump to: