Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking Ahead: 2013 NFL Prospects Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevermore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is Ozzie set him up so his draft stock would fall.

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still prefer Arthur Brown either way if we go ILB in te first round.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we've talked safeties before but let's say Ed Reed isn't with the team next season because he either retires or signs somewhere else and the Ravens take a safety in the first round. Out of Eric Reid, Kenny Vaccaro, and David Amerson (projecting him to convert to FS) who would you want them to go after?

Generally I'm not a fan of CB-to-FS conversions but if there was ever a guy you wanted to do that with it's Amerson and he would be my pick to replace Reed. The other two just don't seem like a good fit next to Pollard. I want a true play-maker playing that position and Amerson might be the best at doing that in this draft. If you project him as a CB I wouldn't want Amerson in the first round but as a FS I'm all for it.

I like Elam too but I don't think he's a first round pick at the moment. Phillip Thomas and Baccari Rambo also interest me.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd answer your question, but I don't like any of the prospects you listed as first rounders... Especially not Reid. He's just so ordinary IMO. No way either of these three are as good as Matt Elam... Maybe Amerson, but that's only because he's athletic and has ball skills. But so does Elam, yet he hits like a truck. Elam is going to be an instant Probowl safety at the next level. Reid I think is simply going to be a filler safety. A guy you plug into the safety position that is of enough quality to not be considered a bust, but not enough quality to actually be considered a good/great player. He's not an impact player. I wouldn't touch him in the draft at all. He just looks so ordinary. I didn't see impressive tackling ability, only solid. I didn't see a great playmaker- only decent. I didn't see great athleticism, just pretty good. His instincts were also only pretty good and not great to elite IMO. I'd pass on him.

Vacarro, IIRC (it's been awhile since I last saw his tape) has good athleticism, has very nice ball skills that impressed me, but couldn't lay the wood at all. He looked like Ed Reed- only his shoulder isn't hurt and he's supposed to be in his prime. He wouldn't be a bad option if he fell to us in the late 2nd, but I doubt it. He struck me as a guy too good to fall that far, but not good enough to be worth a first round selection. Unlike Reid, I'd actually like him in the draft.

Amerson, I need to look more at, I just remember him getting torched against Tennessee. I'd need to see some more of him before I'm comfortable with him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amerson got torched quite often early in the season and I wouldn't take him if he would be put in a position to be playing a lot of man-coverage. In Reed's role though that shouldn't be much of a problem. His tackling would be my biggest worry.
aussie_raven77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question on Te'o for you guys, lets say he slips all the way down to us how would we all feel about drafting him? I mean he wasn't the most elite athlete which we really need in coverage, despite him making the second most picks in the country. He's been productive but his draft stock has been massively boosted by his intangibles and this story seems to have destroyed a lot of them, is he worth taking?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story doesn't affect his on-field intangibles at all. That's still going to probably be his biggest strength. His off-field decision making is what's in question and we don't even know what really happened at this point. I would hope the Ravens take Te'o if by some miracle he's still on the board.
drd23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to c0's question on safeties, I don't think I'd want any of them at #29-32. Surely there'd be a better player that any of them that would still be able to contribute to this team (?Arthur Brown, Lane Johnson, Oday Aboushi, ?Kevin Minter, one of the OLB prospects etc).

Matt Elam is probably the best safety in this class, but like c0 I think he's more of a SS type that is able to be put into deep zone coverage rather than a true centerfielder that Bernard Pollard would better fit next to. Plus Elam's recklessness is a bit worrying given the trend away from big hits against receivers.

I'd only be comfortable taking one of Amerson, Reid or Vaccaro if we traded down to about pick 40

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I know we've talked safeties before but let's say Ed Reed isn't with the team next season because he either retires or signs somewhere else and the Ravens take a safety in the first round. Out of Eric Reid, Kenny Vaccaro, and David Amerson (projecting him to convert to FS) who would you want them to go after?

Generally I'm not a fan of CB-to-FS conversions but if there was ever a guy you wanted to do that with it's Amerson and he would be my pick to replace Reed. The other two just don't seem like a good fit next to Pollard. I want a true play-maker playing that position and Amerson might be the best at doing that in this draft. If you project him as a CB I wouldn't want Amerson in the first round but as a FS I'm all for it.

I like Elam too but I don't think he's a first round pick at the moment. Phillip Thomas and Baccari Rambo also interest me.

I think I'd rather look at TJ McDonald or Tony Jefferson in the 2nd round--better value in my opinion.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
In answer to c0's question on safeties, I don't think I'd want any of them at #29-32. Surely there'd be a better player that any of them that would still be able to contribute to this team (?Arthur Brown, Lane Johnson, Oday Aboushi, ?Kevin Minter, one of the OLB prospects etc).

Matt Elam is probably the best safety in this class, but like c0 I think he's more of a SS type that is able to be put into deep zone coverage rather than a true centerfielder that Bernard Pollard would better fit next to. Plus Elam's recklessness is a bit worrying given the trend away from big hits against receivers.

I'd only be comfortable taking one of Amerson, Reid or Vaccaro if we traded down to about pick 40

While this isn't necessarily not true... I don't think its exactly true. If their is one safety in this class that I think can do it all- then that is Matt Elam (and if I had to name a second it would be TJ McDonald). I think Elam has some Troy Polamalu in him... and so naturally, you'd say his best fit is at SS... however, Troy Polamalu at his prime could do it all (same with Reed). And I honestly feel like Elam is that next elite caliber safety- I think he can do it all. Cover, hit, lead. I think he can play both free and strong... and would be as good as a free safety as any other safety in this class in that capacity. He has great burst, speed, and instincts to succeed in a more cover oriented role.

And two more things:
1. I think its worth noting that Ed Reed has generally played the roaming role for most of his career until we drafted Pollard- it was what made him so dangerous... and that freedom allowed him to be more ambitious without killing the defense. It's only recently that Reed has been delegated to just more of a deep cover kind of safety. Pollard is signed with the team through 2015... by that time Elam would be heading into his prime. We could then easily switch him over to the role of roaming safety and draft/sign a safety that would excel as a cover option.

2. I don't think we should be shooting for someone to exactly replace Ed Reed as well. Ed Reed is the GOAT. You don't try and replace a talent like his. You just try and select the best possible replacement. Matt Elam is that guy. I honestly think Elam is as good and maybe a better safety prospect than Mark Barron from last year. I think he's that good.

My only problem with taking Elam in the 1st is need. We will likely need a LT just as badly as FS (assuming Reed is gone)... only its a higher priority position... and given Flacco's struggles with pocket presence... and considering how deadly he looks when he has time... a LT would likely be a better pick.

Oday Aboushi being a really good fit.

And of course we'll be needing another pass rusher once Kruger leaves, so there's always that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need: (the first 3 rounds)
Safety
Inside linebacker
Pass rusher

The players we draft just depends on the order the board falls
If a great pass rusher falls we get them in the first or if a safety is bpa then draft him in the first but as long as we can address these 3 positions I think we will be the best off
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say BPA not including QB, RB, TE, and I probably wouldn't go with a C either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I really don't understand why this Manti Teo story is such a big deal ? So he had a relationship with an online gf. Yea it is a little weird I really don't get why his draft stock should go down because of this. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't see why we should care other than to get a good laugh if you find it funny.

If he was your BPA I'd draft him regadless.
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nucky wrote:
I really don't understand why this Manti Teo story is such a big deal ? So he had a relationship with an online gf. Yea it is a little weird I really don't get why his draft stock should go down because of this. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't see why we should care other than to get a good laugh if you find it funny.

The question is whether or not that's true. If he was in on it he perpetrated one of the biggest frauds in sports history.

FTR I believe him. Mostly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Nucky wrote:

Its mainly a big story because of how weird it is.

Society has have this picture in their collective minds that the star football players are the "big men on campus" and thus have their pick of all the available girls on campus. That Te'o seemingly became involved in an online relationship for over a year with a girl he never met and never saw (beside pictures on facebook and twitter) doesn't fit with that picture.

The inconsistencies in the story between what he is saying now ("I never met the girl. I was duped etc") and certain things he's said (and his family has said) in the past further creates intrigue on a human interest/curiosity level considering how large a part Manti playing on after her "death" added to the mythology.

As for the football side of this, it comes down to 2 things imo.
1) If he was in on this the whole (or even most of the) time and was using it to further his Heisman chances, that makes him a sociopathic liar and somebody that can't really be trusted. And
2) If he really is that naive that he was truly the victim of this hoax, how will he fit into a professional lockerroom with lots of older, wiser, more cocky men who are probably prone to bullying behaviour?

Either or both of those things go against his leadership and character, 2 things that are/were thought to be among his biggest strengths.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 14 of 38

Jump to: