Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should Julius Peppers get cut?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Bears cut Julius Peppers to save cap space?
Yes
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
No
92%
 92%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 41

PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Should Julius Peppers get cut? Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4681838/peppers-set-for-16m-cap-hit-in-2013

I hope not, Peppers is an awesome player and I really don't think the Bears D would be nearly as good with out him, what do you guys think about this?

Cool information I found here about Peppers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Peppers

NFL awards and honors
NFL Rookie of the Month (10/02)
2002 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie Team (2002)
2004 NFL Alumni Defensive Lineman of the Year
2004 NFC Defensive Player of the Year
NFL 2000's All Decade Team
100 Sacks Club
2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 NFC Pro Bowl
2004, 2006, 2010 All-Pro First Team
2008, 2009, 2012 All-Pro Second Team
Four time NFC Defensive Player of the Month (11/2004, 10/2006, 11/2010, 11/2011)
Five time NFC Defensive Player of the Week (11/13/06, 11/9/08, 11/1/09, 11/18/10,12/23/12)
[edit]Panthers franchise records
Most career sacks (81)
Most career forced fumbles (30)
Longest Interception return: 97 (vs. Denver Broncos 10/10/04)
[edit]NFL records and accomplishments
Most interception return yards by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 178 yds
Most interception return yards in a single season by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 143 yds
Longest interception return by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Most interception return yards in a single game by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Most combined interception and fumble return yards by a defensive lineman in a single season since NFL merger in 1970: 203 yds
Eighteenth most sacks in NFL history: 111.5
Tied for tenth most forced fumbles in NFL history: 37
Tied for second most interceptions by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 8
Third most passes defensed by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 59
Second most blocked kicks in NFL history: 13
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that the only yes votes you'll get here are from fans of other teams, b/c obviously not. 11 1/2 sacks w/ plantar fasciatis is pretty damn good.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Badger75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Wink
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
I have a feeling that the only yes votes you'll get here are from fans of other teams, b/c obviously not. 11 1/2 sacks w/ plantar fasciatis is pretty damn good.

I agree.

Just curious, is there any defensive player in the NFL you would rather have on the Bears over Julius Peppers?
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

I agree.

Just curious, is there any defensive player in the NFL you would rather have on the Bears over Julius Peppers?
Charles Tillman and JJ Watt

Epyon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wildcard here is how much money he costs...

Even if we cut him this year, we have to pay him something like 9million (if memory serves), so I don't see any way to not keep him... THIS SEASON.

THAT SAID, I'm probably in the minority here, and without having to pay him that much for cutting him, I'd drop him.

Injuries or not, his production was "meh" last season, and he's the single most expensive player on the team by far, and eating up the most cap space.. He's good, but he's not worth the cost right now, and it's only getting worse in the next two years.

That said, I'm extremely bias towards offense, and wouldn't at all mind cannibalizing the defense to a mid tier D, if it meant a 30+PPG offense. You could buy 2-3 FA players offensively for the price of one Peppers (or, if you'd prefer, pay top dollar for an amazing LT)... Easily worth it, imo
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

I agree.

I guess I could see why you would pick J.J. Watt, but lets see if he can keep up his production now that teams will be double teaming him like crazy, I have a feeling he comes back to earth next season much like JPP did this season.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

I agree.

I guess I could see why you would pick J.J. Watt, but lets see if he can keep up his production now that teams will be double teaming him like crazy, I have a feeling he comes back to earth next season much like JPP did this season.
he probably will come down stats wise b/c....damn. But he was really good as rook too. Outstanding player.

Athelite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whaaaa??

^Takeonme^
Bounty91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
PredatorPeppers wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

I agree.

Even if he loses production by being double-teamed, only opens up opportunities for the guy next to him.

I agree - J.J., and then a couple of guys including Tillman, then Pep on my defensive dream team shopping list.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he counts 8.8 million against the cap if he's cut this year. So, you can have a $16.4 mill cap hit and Julius Peppers or an $8.8 mill cap hit and no Julius Peppers.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect the team to ask him to restructure his deal to lower his cap number in exchange for a bonus to free up money to improve the team. I don't see him playing anywhere but Chicago this year.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Should Julius Peppers get cut? Reply with quote

Quote:

NFL awards and honors
NFL Rookie of the Month (10/02)
2002 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie Team (2002)
2004 NFL Alumni Defensive Lineman of the Year
2004 NFC Defensive Player of the Year
NFL 2000's All Decade Team
100 Sacks Club
2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 NFC Pro Bowl
2004, 2006, 2010 All-Pro First Team
2008, 2009, 2012 All-Pro Second Team
Four time NFC Defensive Player of the Month (11/2004, 10/2006, 11/2010, 11/2011)
Five time NFC Defensive Player of the Week (11/13/06, 11/9/08, 11/1/09, 11/18/10,12/23/12)
[edit]Panthers franchise records
Most career sacks (81)
Most career forced fumbles (30)
Longest Interception return: 97 (vs. Denver Broncos 10/10/04)
[edit]NFL records and accomplishments
Most interception return yards by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 178 yds
Most interception return yards in a single season by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 143 yds
Longest interception return by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Most interception return yards in a single game by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Most combined interception and fumble return yards by a defensive lineman in a single season since NFL merger in 1970: 203 yds
Eighteenth most sacks in NFL history: 111.5
Tied for tenth most forced fumbles in NFL history: 37
Tied for second most interceptions by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 8
Third most passes defensed by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 59
Second most blocked kicks in NFL history: 13

I have to be honest with you, when you're making personnel moves (considering signing or cutting) stats and accomplishments mean nothing. What have you done for me lately, what can we expect you to do next year, what is your cap number, what is your cap number if cut, etc. That's what matters.

If you want to take a trip down memory lane and make decisions with your heart you are going to run your team into the ground.

To answer the question, no I think there is about a zero percent chance he gets cut. Now after next season it may be a different story. That will also depend on that defensive scheme they are running and we will start to find that out soon enough.

Resigning Urlacher is a bigger question but not worth asking until coaching staff details get settled.

Last edited by wiscbearsfan on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
PredatorPeppers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tillman is awesome no doubt, but Peppers is more important to the Bears D as well as being the superior player.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PredatorPeppers wrote:
Tillman is awesome no doubt, but Peppers is more important to the Bears D as well as being the superior player.
Pep gets a lot of love and rightfully so, but the one constant in this defense being great has always been Charles Tillman. Peanut has a HOF resume, just not the accolades. He'll retire as the only player ever in the 40int/40FF club. He is quite possibly the greatest creator of turnovers in the HISTORY OF THE NFL. I've said before and I'll say it again, I doubt Peanut gets into the HOF b/c public perception until the last couple years has always been he's not a shutdown CB, but players have recognized his greatness for a long while and he should not be penalized b/c he plays in a scheme that asks him to keep everything in front of him and make the tackle. He's shown that you can line him up man to man on the best WR in the game and he's going to handle his own.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: