Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GM Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:
Quote:
Jacksonville has tabbed Dave Caldwell as their new GM, the two sides are trying to work out a contract

Http://www.twitter.com/jayglazer

The smoke signals that Caldwell will be the GM, and that Greg Roman is being pursued to be the Jags new HC...

If we miss on Greg Roman, I will be so annoyed. What is this new front office doing?????

Roman is not the type of personality they want. He is more of a Pat Shurmur personality wise than anything else. They want someone with a strong personality and strong leadership ability.

Roman,
Kyle Shannahan are not these types.

So Rob Ryan?

[img]http://gifsforum.com/listofgifs/gallery/suicide[/img]

I'm sure that's awesome

Not as awesome as the idea of giving that loonie at HC gig.

I don't want Ryan anyway. But... if you want to debate for the sake of debating lets go...

You may be the best poster on this site and a borderline supergenius with a great sense of humor, but you don't know much at all about women's fashion.

#Burn@i'm>>>>you.pwned/end debate.

fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paton out of GM Search...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/14/paton-out-of-browns-g-m-mix-but-reason-isnt-clear/

Article says he never interviewed. Basic problem we all knew, no "gm" is going to want to come in without final say on roster. We won't have a guy labeled GM.

Get ready to find a guy who evaluates talent but has no say in the final roster. That's what we're about to get.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/14/paton-out-of-browns-g-m-mix-but-reason-isnt-clear/

Article says he never interviewed. Basic problem we all knew, no "gm" is going to want to come in without final say on roster. We won't have a guy labeled GM.

Get ready to find a guy who evaluates talent but has no say in the final roster. That's what we're about to get.

I don't know why it would scare so many off. It works well in Seattle. I don't know if New England has a GM but it works well there with BB having final say.

Jamison on the sig
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:

Considering we already hired people to negotiate contracts and manage the cap, our "GM/DPP/whatever" wouldn't have full GM responsibilities anyway.

Some of us are acting we'd be the only team in the league whose GM doesn't have final say on the roster. That's clearly not the case.

Give me a damn good personnel guy, and I'll be more than happy with the staff that's been hired.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:

Give me a damn good personnel guy, and I'll be more than happy with the staff that's been hired.

Im just happy Lombardi hasn't been hired yet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:

I don't know why it would scare so many off. It works well in Seattle. I don't know if New England has a GM but it works well there with BB having final say.

I think it can work well either way, but if you were really good at evaluating talent and had a good history of it, you might want more prestige.

On the other hand, if you find a good talent evaluator that hasn't quite earned the prestige yet (an up and coming guy), he would tend to be more accepting of less control.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:

I think it can work well either way, but if you were really good at evaluating talent and had a good history of it, you might want more prestige.

On the other hand, if you find a good talent evaluator that hasn't quite earned the prestige yet (an up and coming guy), he would tend to be more accepting of less control.

True.

Until he gets poached for a team who will give him full control.

I'm just saying I'd rather have it the way we had it with Heckert. Right now Joe Banner has final say and from the sounds of it, his player control history isn't much to write home about.

Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:

True.

Well, we can certainly talk about that if and when it happens. Still, even if it did happen, all it would mean is that another team saw the guy as more than we did.
Quote:

I'm just saying I'd rather have it the way we had it with Heckert. Right now Joe Banner has final say and from the sounds of it, his player control history isn't much to write home about.

I was under the impression that Banner has a voice, but not the final say. I think that Chud may have more of a voice than Banner on roster calls. Did you read something that said different?

And yeah, I wanted to keep Heckert because he had shown that he could do a good job with talent selection. I don't think Heckert having final say on the roster is as important to the 2013 Browns as it was to the 2010-2012 Browns.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a random thought, but I've always found it strange that very few fired GM's land as a GM of another team (whether it's right away or down the road).

When a HC gets fired, it's not unusual to see them resurface as a HC either immediately or down the road. It seems like fired GM's never get another chance, except for very few exceptions.

fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:

True.

Well, we can certainly talk about that if and when it happens. Still, even if it did happen, all it would mean is that another team saw the guy as more than we did.
Quote:

I was under the impression that Banner has a voice, but not the final say. I think that Chud may have more of a voice than Banner on roster calls. Did you read something that said different?

And yeah, I wanted to keep Heckert because he had shown that he could do a good job with talent selection. I don't think Heckert having final say on the roster is as important to the 2013 Browns as it was to the 2010-2012 Browns.

I heard it was voice, like a group of them have but with final say.

Maybe I'm wrong.

ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stuff stirring again on the GM front. Banner threw some teasers at the media yesterday.

- 1st wave of interviews almost completed. Browns have interviewed "about" 6 candidates.
- Banner said they have a frontrunner, but obviously declined to say who.
- Wouldn't confirm/deny any individual names (Farmer, Lombardi, etc.)
- Said new hire would likely carry title of GM, but not etched in stone.
- There's a rumor circulating that Mike Mayock was interviewed.
- Said one internal candidate will likely be interviewed.
- Said all current scouting staff is working as usual, including going to the Senior Bowl next week.

I read this from various sources, but most of it came from here:
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_ceo_joe_banne_2.html

Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:

seriously?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More chatter that Farmer is the frontrunner:

Quote:
Keith Britton ‏ @ KeithBritton86
Wasn't buying it 2 days ago b/c of other candidates, but due to latest I've heard, I am now w/ belief Ray Farmer is leader for # Browns GM

Keith Britton ‏ @ KeithBritton86
Once again, I know reports were there early this wk. More info I've gathered, I'd be surprised if Ray Farmer is not # Browns GM by end of wk

https://twitter.com/KeithBritton86/status/291575936950870019
https://twitter.com/KeithBritton86/status/291581301545377793

nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:

seriously?

hahaha

Looks like Farmer

I'm very ok with that.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW the current scouting staff operated fine last year at the senior bowl and combine without Heckert as he was recovering from surgery.

So the Browns should be fine with out a GM at the Senior Bowl if it comes down to it.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: