Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Free Agent Wide Receiver Options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is your ideal Free Agent WR for the Vikings?
Mike Wallace
33%
 33%  [ 15 ]
Dwayne Bowe
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Greg Jennings
42%
 42%  [ 19 ]
Danny Amendola
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Wes Welker
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 45

Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoverInTheCold wrote:
It's the ridiculous undervaluing of the position as a whole by this front office over the last decade that has gotten us into the situation we're currently facing.

Well we've taken 11 WRs in the past decade - including two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd - so I wouldn't call it a ridiculous undervaluing. Guys simply haven't worked out.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't add any WRs. What we are saying is that you have to be smart with your resources.

It would be an unwise investment to resign Harvin longterm, shell out the money for a Wallace, Bowe, or even Jennings, and also draft a WR high in the draft. What I see happening is choosing two of the three: Harvin/FA, Harvin/Rookie, or FA/Rookie (if Harvin traded). Those would be much wiser investments to make in the position.
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
LoverInTheCold wrote:
It's the ridiculous undervaluing of the position as a whole by this front office over the last decade that has gotten us into the situation we're currently facing.

Well we've taken 11 WRs in the past decade - including two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd - so I wouldn't call it a ridiculous undervaluing. Guys simply haven't worked out.

Only 3, maybe 4 of those players were ever expected to be starters. Harvin, Rice, Williamson (bust) and maybe Burleson (who developed nicely, but I doubt the Tice staff envisioned a starting role for him). The rest were only ever expected to be 4/5 spot guys lucky to make the team. At least 3 of them barely even scraped the roster. Heck, they've only taken a chance on two 1st/2nd round guys in Spielman's whole career here. Might as well sign more UDFAs. I'd hardly call late round flyers taking your shots at refueling the position. It would have been one thing if the roster had been stacked prior to his tenure here, but it wasn't. Not even close. I'd call that a gross undervaluing of the position.

The Packers have taken 6 WRs in the 2nd round over the last decade alone. And all but one of them have gone on to or is on their way to stardom.

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
wcblack34

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoverInTheCold wrote:
Klomp wrote:
LoverInTheCold wrote:

Only 3, maybe 4 of those players were ever expected to be starters. Harvin, Rice, Williamson (bust) and maybe Burleson (who developed nicely, but I doubt the Tice staff envisioned a starting role for him). The rest were only ever expected to be 4/5 spot guys lucky to make the team. At least 3 of them barely even scraped the roster. Heck, they've only taken a chance on two 1st/2nd round guys in Spielman's whole career here. Might as well sign more UDFAs. I'd hardly call late round flyers taking your shots at refueling the position. It would have been one thing if the roster had been stacked prior to his tenure here, but it wasn't. Not even close. I'd call that a gross undervaluing of the position.

The Packers have taken 6 WRs in the 2nd round over the last decade alone. And all but one of them have gone on to or is on their way to stardom.

In 2009, we had Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin. In 2010, we were supposed to have Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin, so not drafting a WR early was pretty understandable. Rice got injured, and the powers that be decided he wasn't worth bringing back at a premium price (they've been proven correct in that regard).

In the 2011 draft, the team needed a new Quarterback more than a new WR, and that's where the first round pick went. Rudolph was supposed to be that big-time receiving option in the 2nd. We didn't have a 3rd round pick.

This year, Kalil was the guy. He was a better and safer pick than Justin Blackmon, and he's paid big dividends across the O-line. Charlie Johnson was absolutely pathetic at Left Tackle, and they had to protect the young QB. I don't think after last year's debacle, that anyone can fault the Vikings for going with 2 DB's with their next picks. The secondary was completely atrocious in 2011.

I don't think they've undervalued the position at all. I think they've just had significant needs elsewhere.
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how you slice it, we havent put alot of investment into the WR position. I agree with LITC that we have probably undervalued it a bit too much. Idk if its Spielman trying to be too much like the Hoodie and not put big money into that position, but it is undoubtedly our biggest need now.

I don't disagree with the decision not to give Rice a big contract (though everytime I see Simpson, I rethink it just a bit) because of his durability, but all the saving and penny pinching and moneyball we've played the last few years trying to find stop gap/low risk guys should be done now. If we are serious about improving and taking the next step, we need to seriously upgrade that spot.

If we keep Harvin, I hope we sign Hartline and then if a can't miss steal is available in the draft pull the trigger, otherwise target defense.

If we trade Harvin (ideally for a late 1st-early2nd), I hope we sign Bowe/Jennings, and use a high pick on a WR-Patterson/Williams/Hunter/Hopkins

BTW-LITC, please post more...you've got far and away the best sig on this site...Love me some Ali Brie
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggsohnasty wrote:
No matter how you slice it, we havent put alot of investment into the WR position. I agree with LITC that we have probably undervalued it a bit too much. Idk if its Spielman trying to be too much like the Hoodie and not put big money into that position, but it is undoubtedly our biggest need now.

I don't disagree with the decision not to give Rice a big contract (though everytime I see Simpson, I rethink it just a bit) because of his durability, but all the saving and penny pinching and moneyball we've played the last few years trying to find stop gap/low risk guys should be done now. If we are serious about improving and taking the next step, we need to seriously upgrade that spot.

If we keep Harvin, I hope we sign Hartline and then if a can't miss steal is available in the draft pull the trigger, otherwise target defense.

If we trade Harvin (ideally for a late 1st-early2nd), I hope we sign Bowe/Jennings, and use a high pick on a WR-Patterson/Williams/Hunter/Hopkins

BTW-LITC, please post more...you've got far and away the best sig on this site...Love me some Ali Brie

Bravo. I agree with everything said in this post. Especially the desire for more Ali Brie. Very Happy

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: