Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hypothetical 34 Defense Mock Offseason (Just to See)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Hypothetical 34 Defense Mock Offseason (Just to See) Reply with quote

So say we get the Rob Ryan thing done for him to be the DC, and lets just for fun say he wants to switch us to a 3-4 defense. I dont think it happens, but lets look and see what we would have to get dont in this offseason to pull it off...

Free Agency
Sedrick Ellis Defensive Lineman
-Ellis was highly touted coming out of USC, and just hasnt lived up to that billing. Some thought he could be the all around DT, and while he has been alright against the Run, he just cant rush the passer. Well in this switch over we will really need some Front 7 depth and that starts here. He isnt really big enough to be a full time NT, but could rotate there, but he is a more of a fit at the 5-tech.

Will Svitek Offensive Tackle
-Falcons fans had High hopes for Svitek this season, but he never made it out of Training camp as he suffered an "Upper Arm injury" (what is this Hockey?). But coming back healthy, Svitek is a free agent, and as one of the guys that Paul Boudreau groomed in Atlanta, this seems like a good landing spot for him to rebuild some value and grab himself a long term deal next season.With his size and length, along with more coaching under Bou, I think he can lock down the RT spot this year.

Jasper Brinkley Linebacker
-Alot of people might remember Brinkley beasting at South Carolina about 5 years ago, well he hasnt been that guy in the NFL. He has been decent in the middle of the Viking Defense, but he isnt really the "leader of a defense" type. But what he is, we need with this switch. He is a big, thick, downhill, run stuffer. Putting him in the middle of this new 34 front gives us a good compliment to JL who will be the brains of the D and the coverage LB out there.

Jared Cook Tight End
-It is starting to look like Danny & the Rams could be partying ways this offseason. Its not for sure, but hearing nothing this entire year isnt a good thing. If this happens, that means Sam looses his safety blanket, his favorite target. Well what is the one thing Bradford liked to throw to while at Oklahoma more than his slot man in Ryan Broyles? That would be his monster receiving TE, Jermaine Gresham. Cook hasnt been used well in Tennessee, and likely wants to get out if he can. And if he does he is probably a better weapon than any WR we could add for Sam this offseason. This way we can move Kendricks into more of an H-back, blocking, leak him out of the backfiel, and get up the seam seacret weapon type.

NFL Draft
1) Chance Warmack G Alabama
- We get a great Guard prospect to anchor our line and give it an obvious identity. I know people are down on Dahl, but having these two on each side of a smart technician of Wells, and suddenly the line is ready to run over people.

1) Johnathan Hankins NT Ohio St
-Some are still talking about Hankins in the same breath as Star? That ship sailed awhile ago. I dont think a whole lot of Hankins as he is so one dimensional, but thats because I have been looking at it with out 4-3 in mind. If we are in a 34 we really need a massive NT to anchor this defense. That is something that Hankins does very well. I think he slips into the 20s if the Steelers get the guy they really want, as most teams dont want to spend a high pick on a NT. (if Hankins is gone, Jon Jenkins is the next best, and still very good NT prospect to take here)

2) Tony Jefferson S Oklahoma
-As you can see, Im keeping Quintin Mikell in this mock. Im more unsure than every what his contract stipulates in Owed money left. But regardless of his status we need a real FS back there to help out the rest of the defese. I think that hurt more than just about anything else this season. If we have a real FS in the back of this defense I think we win atleast 2 more games (Lions & SF tie for sure, maybe even the Dolphins game). But a real coverage man back there in Jefferson will allow our Cbs to play thier games and really force those turnovers.

3) Markus Wheaton WR Oregon St
-I really like Chris Givens, but Im not sure he is a #2 WR. He is an explosive weapon who will take the top off most games and have that 40-50+ yard play to change the game. But snap-in & snap-out Im not sure he can be that guy. I do think Quick will become that very reliable, Big #1 target who gives you a mismatch every game. But you need that rock who can do everything for you, and that type of guy is Wheaton. A weapons arsenal of Quick, Wheaton, Cook, Givens, Kendricks, Pettis+ will be great for Sams coming out party.

4) Quanterus Smith OLB Western Kentucky
-This guy just creates havoc, he knows how to get to the QB. He plays against lesser competition so there will be reservations, but what I see, the team that takes a chance should be well rewarded. We stand up both Long & Quinn to be Rush OLBs, but you need the depth there and extra rusers. Also having those guy allows Smith to acclimate himself to the jump (something Quick didnt get the coverage for) But we can just turn him loose at the right times.

5) Michael Williams TE Alabama
-Yep, another TE. Schotty has been really using his Tes this year, but the problem is #2 & #3 are Mulligan & McNiell. This way we have 3 real weapons that can be lined up just about anywhere (Cook at TE & WR, Williams at TE and out of the back field, and Kendricks pretty much anywhere). This brings the dynamic of our offense to a whole new level when it comes to formation possibilities and confusing the Defense.

6) Abry Jones DL Georgia
-I have been a big fan of Jones for 3 years now, he has never reached the potential that I thought I saw in him. But he has been very good in the Georgia rotation of their 3-4 front. He will bring very nice depth to the new defense, something we really need.

7) Skye Dawson WR TCU
-When I watch sky its like having Mike Vick in the old madden where no one can catch him. His speed and COD skills are really impressive. He is very raw as a Receiver, but he has the skills to be one heck of a Returner. Have you seen the difference Trindon Holliday has had this season? Its time to allocate a roster spot to a guy like that.

Last edited by StLunatic88 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depth Chart
QB- Sam Bradford :: Austin Davis
RB- Isaiah Pead :: Daryl Richardson :: Tarrence Gannaway
TE- Jared Cook :: Lance Kendricks :: Michael Williams
WR- Brian Quick :: Austin Pettis
WR- Markus Wheaton "" Chris Givens :: Skye Dawson
LT- Roger Saffold ::
LG- Chance Warmack :: Joe Barksdale
C- Scott Wells :: Robert Turner
RG- Harvey Dahl :: Rok Watkins
RT- Will Svitek ::

DE- Michael Brockers :: Abry Jones
NT- Jonathan Hankins :: Sedrick Ellis
DE- Kendall Langford ::
OLB- Chris Long :: Quanterus Smith
ILB- Jasper Brinkley ::
ILB- James Laurinaitis :: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
OLB- Robert Quinn ::
CB- Cortland Finnegan ::
SS- Quintin Mikell :: Darian Stewart
FS- Tony Jefferson ::
CB- Janoris Jenkins :: Trumaine Johnson
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea on mocking what a switch to a 3-4 would entail. I'm willing to bet it gets misunderstood despite you're disclaimer.

Getting that NT and adding a ILB would be the only real steps we needed to take. Quinn could probably play standing up....

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally dont like Hankins but i understand the pick.

Also think Brinkley is trash but thats my opinion.

I like mostly everything else... I am kind of scared to see Long and Quinn try and do anything in coverage... Yikes.
iRaMs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Jessie Williams? Everything I have read about him leads me to believe that he could be a pretty darn good NT.

StLunatic88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRaMs wrote:
How about Jessie Williams? Everything I have read about him leads me to believe that he could be a pretty darn good NT.
Dont understand peoples infatuation with him, he is always hurt, and his on field production isnt that impressive.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
iRaMs wrote:
Dont understand peoples infatuation with him, he is always hurt, and his on field production isnt that impressive.

How about John Jenkins?

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
jjab360

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how you believe Quick is going to turn into a no.1 receiver but don't believe Givens can be a no.2.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:
iRaMs wrote:

How about John Jenkins?
Yea, I put him in there at the end of my explanation of Hankins. I havent looked enough at the 34 NTs so I went more on the consensus rankings of the position (most have Hankins falling in the 18-25 range while some still hold onto him as a Top 10 guy).

But from what I have seen, I think I like Jenkins better as a NT, didnt know how that would go over with most @22 tho.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
I have no idea how you believe Quick is going to turn into a no.1 receiver but don't believe Givens can be a no.2.
Because I see the qualities and physical attributes in quick, the strength and the ups to be making plays all over the field, not just deep balls and flash screans that Givens made his name on this year.

Once Givens was asked to become that overall WR, to make the intermediate plays, and he started to be covered by #1 &#2 CBs instead of Safeties & Nickle guys he disappeared.

And just being the other outside Receiver doesnt mean he is the #2 guy, if we do retain Danny and the 3 WR set is Quick & Givens outside and Danny in the Slot, that would mean Givens is the #3 guy there. And thats where he can do some real damage.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
iRaMs wrote:

He has a great motor and actually is very athletic for his size, has good instincts as well. Having said that, I think he is a better fit in a 4-3.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
jjab360 wrote:
Because I see the qualities and physical attributes in quick, the strength and the ups to be making plays all over the field, not just deep balls and flash screans that Givens made his name on this year.

Once Givens was asked to become that overall WR, to make the intermediate plays, and he started to be covered by #1 &#2 CBs instead of Safeties & Nickle guys he disappeared.

And just being the other outside Receiver doesnt mean he is the #2 guy, if we do retain Danny and the 3 WR set is Quick & Givens outside and Danny in the Slot, that would mean Givens is the #3 guy there. And thats where he can do some real damage.

No, he didn't. He still has developing to do but he was still making plays for us. Made some big catches on slant routes, caught some intermediate comeback routes and even caught an intermediate out or two.

His route running was still developing but Givens started to show more and more ability to do it all as the year went on.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised with a full off-season, TC and preseason to hone his craft if he comes back and emerges like Torrey Smith, Cecil Shorts and Mike Wallace did as a much better overall WR in 2013. But then again, I wouldn't make my personnel decisions with that in mind. Nor would I make personnel decisions with Quick suddenly developing into a #1 in mind.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: