Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers Name Mike McCoy Head Coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Chargers Name Mike McCoy Head Coach Reply with quote

Quote:
@AdamSchefter: Mike McCoy informed the Broncos this morning that he is accepting the San Diego Chargers head coaching job.

One of the most sought after Offensive Coordinators, could be a starting point for the rest of the Head Coaches to be hired.

#JDI
mgoblue44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan of going with another offensive coach, but I like McCoy.

New direction is always good. Hopefully it turns out well.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impressed with what he accomplished in the past two seasons. I hope he is able to bring some successful ideas how to get the offense back on track. If Knowshon Moreno and Willis MaGahee could revive their careers maybe there is hope for Ryan. Also what he did with all the different QBs is a plus.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring Denver's OL coach! And get us a good OC! Laughing

I'm fine if he steps back and helps Rivers and the O, but isn't Norv like. I like getting a young guy.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now hopefully he keeps Pag's on D.
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard about this. Great hire for you guys. Much better than than Norv Turnover
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good hire. I thought he was the best fit out of the names I had heard for them.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said this in the Broncos forum but I will repeat it here.

This is a good move by San Diego and a good move for Mike McCoy. The Chargers need a lot of help on offense and Rivers, who used to be a borderline elite QB, will benefit from a infusion of new blood in the franchise.

I think McCoy will make a good head coach. In fact, I believe he will be a better head coach than he was an offensive coordinator. Let me explain why.

The lazy "analysis" you will hear from the media is that McCoy made things work with Tebow and then turned around and made things work with Peyton and so as such he became a hot coaching commodity and took the best job that offered to him. (I can virtually hear the talking heads at ESPN and NFLN saying exactly that). That is all true but it misses the point as to why McCoy will be a good head coach and misses what were probably the driving forces behind Telesco hiring him.

-McCoy is a former-player. That gives him a unique ability to put himself in his players' shoes and thus makes it easier for him to relate to them as both his players and as people.
-He has coached at various levels in the NFL for 13 seasons, working his way up the ranks from an "Offensive Assistant."
-He has coached under three different head coaches - George Seifert, Josh McDaniels and John Fox. That gives him exposure to different approaches, has taught him what not to do (Mac) and has afforded him the opportunity to be his own man, drawing upon influence from the afore mentioned three as well as developing a style unique to himself.
-He's not a control freak who will want to have his hand every single aspect of the team. Like most great coaches, he will let his coaches coach.
-He's the right age (40); not too old to be stuck in his ways but not too young to be green and wide-eyed and in over his head.
-He knows the AFC West well having coached against the Chiefs and Raiders and for the Broncos for the last four seasons.
-He knows how to play the game with the media, not say too much but not say too little that gets the media thinking their being mis-lead to hidden from the truth. As a reporter myself, when someone does that my first instinct is to begin investigating what they're hiding and begin digging for the truth.
-He isn't extraordinarily charismatic but he has a genuine aura about him and will quickly earn the trust and respect of his players.

Again, San Diego will ultimately be happy with this hire. McCoy should be successful there so long as Telesco can provide him with a good talent base.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any News as to who he has connections to that he could bring in for position coaches and coordinators. At this point, i'm assuming Pags will be kept, but thats a decision that will almost assuredly come from McCoy himself.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
New Chargers coach Mike McCoy reportedly wants to keep holdover John Pagano on board as defensive coordinator.
Pagano is under contract for one more year after improving the Bolts' defense from 22nd in 2011 to 16th in 2012. Pagano's unit surrendered fewer big plays, created more turnovers, and rushed the passer more consistently than Greg Manusky's defense the year before.

YAHTZEE!!!!

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
New Chargers coach Mike McCoy reportedly wants to keep holdover John Pagano on board as defensive coordinator.
Pagano is under contract for one more year after improving the Bolts' defense from 22nd in 2011 to 16th in 2012. Pagano's unit surrendered fewer big plays, created more turnovers, and rushed the passer more consistently than Greg Manusky's defense the year before.

YAHTZEE!!!!

By the way Drew. I have you lunch for you.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Brady Phelps:
@LobShots wrote:

Philip Rivers on @DSmithShow, when asked about Magic Mike: "This is the guy I was hoping for.." #Chargers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to see Philip is over Norv. Laughing
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:

YAHTZEE!!!!

By the way Drew. I have you lunch for you.

I will gladly eat crow for the entertainment the troll job I did brought me. Even the thought of Arians got you guys mad.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He just said in his press conference, that he wont be calling the plays, that will be a job for his OC! He's winning me over in a serious way in this press conference. Maybe he just knows how to win over a crowd, and none of this is true, but he's doing it well.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: