Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Here's an idea... Guess this year's Saints draft shocker!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Here's an idea... Guess this year's Saints draft shocker! Reply with quote

We spend a lot of time on here debating what and who the Saints should do or target this upcoming season. After locking up the 15th overall selection, we all kind of figure the Saints to address their defensive efficiencies with that selection in a deep draft class but if there is one thing I have realized after following this franchise throughout the years is that what we want as fans and what our needs are as a team really doesn’t matter to this front office come draft day.

For too long I have been disappointed in the first round by this organization and for too long I have been proven right. Countless of times and player after player from when we drafted players like Robert Meachem when I was screaming that people were sleeping on LaMarr Woodley, trading up for Sedrick Ellis when at the time I preferred to trade back and target Brandon Flowers, Drafting Malcolm Jenkins when it seemed like the football gods were smiling on us with Michael Others free fall, picking Patrick Robinson over Daryl Washington (whom the Saints were said to be really high on), They finally hit on Cameron Jordan but then followed it up with another miss by trading up to take Mark Ingram. The Trade up wasn’t the mistake… the mistake was selecting an offensive luxury when the other defender we were rumored to covet Muhammad Wilkerson was still on the board.

Of course all this is in hindsight but my point is that while we all have our own opinion on what or who the Saints should take or do at #15. History tells us that were all likely to come away from this year’s 1st round shocked and or disappointed to some degree.

So, having said that… we all know who the top prospects are but who is the prospect (based on what you as a fan have come to expect from the Saints scouting dept.) you could see the Saints coming out of nowhere to shock us all as their top pick?

Name your players and explain why he’s your choice…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to think that the Saints will draft some kind of playmaker on the defensive side of the ball. To predict who it will be is so tough, but I think it'll be a Safety. My prediction might change later on, but I see us signing a DE in FA, and possibly a CB. I think this draft is rather deep at DT, so that leaves us two choices at 15; S or OT, IMO. I think we go with a guy like Matt Elam that has good range, and can still stop the run near the LOS. My prediction will probably change once a week lol.. but as of now I'll go with Matt Elam.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
I have to think that the Saints will draft some kind of playmaker on the defensive side of the ball. To predict who it will be is so tough, but I think it'll be a Safety. My prediction might change later on, but I see us signing a DE in FA, and possibly a CB. I think this draft is rather deep at DT, so that leaves us two choices at 15; S or OT, IMO. I think we go with a guy like Matt Elam that has good range, and can still stop the run near the LOS. My prediction will probably change once a week lol.. but as of now I'll go with Matt Elam.

That's ok... it the point of this.

I love the Elam pick! It hits home a lot of points because believe it or not but there is a tremendous amount of Saints fans who actually feel that our safety position is a strgenth and a selection of a Safety at 15 would be a complete shocker to them and their thought process. Also, unless you really follow college football, the normal NFL fan might not know a lot about a guy like Matt Elam.

While most of us on here know the type of impact Elam brings to a football game, I can bet you if he is to be selected at 15 their would be a major uproar in Saintsnation but it would be unjustified.

Porter22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about our first rounder, but I could see us drafting Mathieu way earlier than some people would expect him to go!
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
I'm not talking about our first rounder, but I could see us drafting Mathieu way earlier than some people would expect him to go!

How early are we talking about?

Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Porter22 wrote:

I honestly wouldn't mind taking him in the 4th. He's an idiot but the guy can ball.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Porter22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Porter22 wrote:

I honestly wouldn't mind taking him in the 4th. He's an idiot but the guy can ball.

I wouldn't touch him before the 4th or 5th, but I could see us picking him in the third!
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Porter22 wrote:

I wouldn't touch him before the 4th or 5th, but I could see us picking him in the third!

I just can't see the third... not without a 2nd rounder.

4th im onboard

FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Honey Badger playing the Johnny Patrick role, since he was garbage last year. Maybe Spags will realize how terrible Jenkins is and start Quddus at FS. Elam and Quddus sounds much better than our current starters, IMO.

Adopt-a-Saint
Raves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise pick... well it's going to be one of two player than.

TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee

Eifert gives us a TE tandem on par with New England with better outside weapons while Patterson will give us a legit big deep threat.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Surprise pick... well it's going to be one of two player than.

TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee

Eifert gives us a TE tandem on par with New England with better outside weapons while Patterson will give us a legit big deep threat.

Ya know there T-Raves... I actually could see Payton going after Patterson!

Tall, Long receiver with deep speed. I also see it as a need as well, this is a offensive driven team in a offensive driven league with maybe the NFL most aggressive offensive minded coach.

Colston is getting older and more expensive by the year, Moore is sneaky and sure handed but small and not overly fast, Morgan Has deep speed but not much else, Toon is the eventual replacement for Colston as the big physical slot possession rec and Henderson is as good as gone.

Patterson would give Brees a big time playmaker on the outside to round out his rec core. Sure it would be a shocker but one that would not surprise me if it would happen simply due to the fact of Payton.

Patterson has Torey Smith speed and playmaking ability and while defense needs addressing, he would give us something this offense lacks.

Harper41

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So help me god, if we draft an offensive player in the first round, bad things will happen in my neck of the woods. Bad. Things.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
So help me god, if we draft an offensive player in the first round, bad things will happen in my neck of the woods. Bad. Things.

Laughing epic!

wow_junky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our draft choices the last 5 years are the reason our D stinks, our only worthwhile, productive picks have been Nicks, Morstead, Graham, Jordan & Hicks. Wilson, Robinson & Porter are borderline.

If we picked an offensive player that isnt a tackle in the entire draft I'd be upset, especially if we blew a first on a WR or RB Shocked
FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know who Kiper has us taking in his new mock?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found out. He has us taking Hankins

Adopt-a-Saint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: