Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ranking the Ravens' playoffs wins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Ranking the Ravens' playoffs wins Reply with quote

To be updated soon, of course Wink

1. Super Bowl XXXV (34-7 over NY Giants) - A defense and special teams masterpiece. Every rewatch is more beautiful and enjoyable than the last.

2. Super Bowl XLVII (34-31 over San Francisco) - Even though it was closer, I have to put this one behind the pure dominance of Super Bowl XXXV. Still an incredible game. I'm even okay with nearly choking it away - a little added drama never hurts.

3. 2012 Divisional (38-35 over Denver) - As promised, this gets pushed up with the Super Bowl win. An all out thriller with highly memorable plays on both sides. Bonus points for being the rare double overtime game and, of course, the monumental upset.

4. 2000 Divisional (24-10 over Tennessee) - The defining matchup of the defining rivalry of the NFL before realignment. Two truly iconic plays.

5. 2000 AFC Championship (16-3 over Oakland) - Goose! To completely shut down Oakland's offense the way we did illustrates the pure, unpasteurized dominance of the 2000 Ravens defense.

6. 2012 AFC Championship (28-13 over New England) - This one definitely might deserve to be higher, but we have so many good ones at this point. It reminds me a lot of the 2000 Tennessee game, where we just outwilled the other team in the second half. The Ravens played like a team that wouldn't be denied and there was nothing the Patriots could do to stop it, even if they were supposedly the better team. The revenge factor helps.

7. 2008 Divisional (13-10 over Tennessee) - A fun sized version of the Denver game. Still an exhilarating game, but about 100 times weirder. Two things I will never be able to comprehend: 1) how we forced a million turnovers in the red zone and 2) how Matt Stover's long game winning field goal, which looked like it was never high enough to go over the crossbar at any point in its trajectory, somehow was good.

8. 2000 Wild Card (21-3 over Denver) - Hard to place a win from the Super Bowl year this far down. This was special for its own reasons, being the first playoff win. The crazy Shannon Sharpe touchdown helps.

9. 2012 Wild Card (24-9 over Indianapolis) - Ray's final home game. The dances. It would have been so much fun to be there.

10. 2009 Wild Card (33-14 over New England) - To dominate the Patriots like that on the road...it's hard to grasp. An incredibly weird game for all of the obvious reasons.

11. 2001 Wild Card (20-3 over Miami) - A reassuringly dominant road win for the defending champions, who had seemingly underachieved all year. That reassurance was short lived, of course, but this was a fun one that doesn't get the remembrance it deserves.

12. 2008 Wild Card (27-9 over Miami) - Ed Reed. He's pretty good.

13. 2010 Wild Card (30-7 over Kansas City) - Much more frustrating than anyone seems to remember. The 1st half was ugly and Jamaal Charles appeared literally unstoppable. That cooled down and the Ravens steadily built a big lead over time.

14. 2011 Divisional (20-13 over Houston) - I don't think anyone was actually happy after this game.

Last edited by GaTechRavens on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:06 am; edited 5 times in total
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list is definitely

Flacco Approved

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco

Last edited by RavensfanRD on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way this game should be outside the top 3... personally if we get this thing done and win a Superb Owl, I put this above all of the other games... assuming of course we don't have another game in this run that is even more intense and great and spectacularly awesome (I don't even...)

But really, the only thing that's keeping it at #3 IMO, is the TBD... this game simply flat out had more. The Super Bowl vs the Giants was great for us, but it wasn't necessarily a 'great game' IMO, we simply eviscerated the competition. For some... that obviously takes the cake, but for me I like my teams to show that they can deal with adversity. I like them to show heart. This game showed that. And for them to have to battle another team that was equally giving it their all, a team that wasn't overpowered or overmatched, a team that was being led by IMO the GOAT QB... and to beat them knowing this could be Ray's last game... knowing that with a loss this ride would be done... and for the win to come from the feet of our rookie kicker who replaced the guy who kept us from being able to go to OT last year... this was special.

This team has come through so much adversity. Art Modell's death, Tevin Smith's motorcycle accident/death, Suggs Achilles tear, Lewis triceps tear, Webb going down, Suggs bicep injury, Ellerbe going down, firing Cam (his whole tenure was our players fighting through adversity offensively), first year in quite awhile where our defense isn't top 10, and what about that locker room riot... Laughing Laughing

Point is, all of this culminating. I think I remember those Super Bowl years most because of the adversity we faced with our offense not getting it done for about a month and Stover literally having to go HAM... And the adversity we faced throughout the season with Ray's legal issues. When I look back at the game, I remember the confetti falling and I remember the domination, but I also remember thinking... Trent Dilfer? Really?

There was also so many players who weren't "ours"... I feel like if this team gets it this year... we have so many home grown Ravens (some that will likely not be back- Kruger, perhaps Ed Reed) and one that we know won't be back... the heart and soul (Ray Lewis). But we have this year still. We have two possible. We have Elm Street, T-Sizzle, Ngata, Reed, Rice, Flacco, and Ray. We have so many home grown guys that this ring will matter more for me because these guys have been waiting so patiently for their chance and are still fighting.

This game, I feel, is... and will be no matter what a time capsule of the team we've had this season. This team sometimes has a liability of a defense, sometimes the defense plays fifty shades of amazing; sometimes the offense is dominating fools, and sometimes its sputtering out... and the special teams has even joined the fray recently, but no matter what... we've just seemed to play for each other. When one unit doesn't get it done, the other unit goes in... and sure enough, they get it done more times than not. Look at our stats for the regular season... pretty darn average across the board last I checked... and yet we made the playoffs with a game to spare (and could've clinched quite sooner). I honestly don't blame the media much for not picking us because like I said earlier in the season, there's seemed to be two themes to this team this season..
1. The Dark Knight Rises- We've seen adversity, we've seen thing crumbling beneath our feet and it looks so many times like we can't get it done, but we overcome... we find a way to give it our all.. we find a way to get it done. We Rise.

2. Haters gonna hate. This team has been trolling everyone. Media, fans, etc. They've never been able to make things look easy enough for people to feel "comfortable" getting behind them. Early on in the season, I just didn't feel like I was getting into it. Players down, the expectations were low with starting so many inexperienced defensive players, etc. Then we played and couldn't stay consistent, the defense was being gashed every week. It just paled in comparison to 2011 that seemed, to me, to be a team of destiny the whole way down... until it wasn't. So when this team would come in and keep making wins look as difficult as they could be, when we kept winning ugly- I notice the reality that winning is all that matters, but there was a lot left to be desired... BUT then I noticed the pattern that was and if you embrace it, it comes back to one thing... haters gonna hate. Salters gonna salt. But Tuckers gonna Tuck... and that's all that matters.

This game just put into perspective all that we've seen all season long... and IF we can get to.. and win the Super Bowl this season, it becomes much more... it becomes a validation of who this team was this season. They're a team that can't be pinned down by predictions either way, they are talented, but not overly so, they get banged up but fight on warrior style... and they have the kind of heart and will that makes up for their flaws elsewhere in other facets of the game... and then they win ugly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go

1. XXXV
2. Yesterday
3. @ Titans 2000
4. @ Titans 08
5. @ Patriots 09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I'd go

1. XXXV
2. Yesterday
3. @ Titans 2000
4. @ Titans 08
5. @ Patriots 09

My picks.
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't watching the Ravens when we won the Superbowl. I'd put this game at the very top of the list.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmvoss wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I'd go

1. XXXV
2. Yesterday
3. @ Titans 2000
4. @ Titans 08
5. @ Patriots 09

My picks.

Same. I ALMOST want to put yesterdays game at #1, but I feel as though looking back at the game a few years from now, it still won't weigh up to a Super Bowl victory - regardless of how exciting it may have been.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good lists. It's obviously impossible not to put XXXV at No. 1.

The game at Adelphi Coliseum in 2000 has a special place in my heart, so that's probably my #2 for now (as RTID said above, it is probably magnified by the fact we went on to win it all that year) so Saturday's game could very well surpass that come February 3rd.

Until the Ravens/Steelers rivalry heated up, I didn't think it was possible for two teams to hate each other more than the Ravens & Titans did in the 2000 season. Between Ray Lewis & Eddie George going back and fourth, and Ray ripping the ball away from Eddie and taking it to the house it didn't get much better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wyzzinator wrote:
*Ramble*Ramble*Ramble*

Lol, last I heard, Mr. Wyzz became a mod and got too cool for school on us Ravens fans over here. Razz

Good to see you back in the trenches. Laughing

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
The Wyzzinator wrote:
*Ramble*Ramble*Ramble*

Lol, last I heard, Mr. Wyzz became a mod and got too cool for school on us Ravens fans over here. Razz

Good to see you back in the trenches. Laughing

Yeah... who does he think he is, Ferris Bueller?!

But yeah, I did a double take. It's good to see him back.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a little update.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ranking the Ravens' playoffs wins Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:

2. Super Bowl XLVII (34-31 over San Francisco) - Even though it was closer, I have to put this one behind the pure dominance of Super Bowl XXXV. Still an incredible game. I'm even okay with nearly choking it away - a little added drama never hurts.

I have to disagree with your last statement there. It does indeed hurt. Specifically my heart. I still don't think its gone back to beating normally yet. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me XLVII is number 1. I was 13 when we won it in 2000. I had only been watching for a few years. There were no previous heart breaking ends to the season. And it's felt like an eternity since.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our post season was amazing. We took out Brady & Manning, three of the top two seeds, and won with thrilling ends in two of the four games. I'm still hung over but man, what a way to cap it off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: