Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Contract for Will Beatty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Contract for Will Beatty Reply with quote

Will Beatty 28 LT

Finding a capable LT is no easy proposition in the NFL today. Selected in the 2009 2nd Round, Will Beatty battled injuries and took numerous seasons to develop. Last year, he suffered a detached retina and was not part of the Super Bowl run. Returning in 2012, PFF ranked him 11th Overall Tackle.

Giants have a strong relationship with his representation- SportsStars Inc. They've selected SportsStars clients James Brewer, Matt McCants & Mitch Petrus in the past few drafts.

Giants salary cap dilemma is compounded by the raise Beatty will command. Read a Mock Offseason, and Beatty was projected to receive a 5 Year 25.0 M contract.

Open Market Rate for Offensive Tackles:
Arizona: Levi Brown 5 Years 30.0 M (12.0 M Guaranteed)
Philadelphia: Demetress Bell 5 Years 34.5 M (12.0 M Guaranteed)
Dallas: Doug Free 4 Years 32.0 M (17.0 M Guaranteed)- 2011
Tampa Bay: Donald Penn 6 Years 48.0 M (20.0 M Guaranteed)- 2010

Beatty is a better player than Levi Brown & Demetress Bell. While not of the Ryan Clady caliber, he's one of the top available Left Tackles.

Beatty (If Not Franchised) will command 5 Years 35.0 M (18.0 M Guaranteed). He's a 7.0-8.0 M AAV player, not 5 like some hope.

The same trend is apparent in Kevin Boothe's projected contract, PFF 22nd Guard for 2012.
dkebones

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing working in the Giants' favor is the fact that Beatty has really only played and performed for one season. while that's certainly no comfort that some team won't go ahead and splash the cash at him, given his track record he is a bit of a risky prospect.
ESKY008

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 5 year $30 is fair enough. IMO he is not a top 10 tackle. That's similar money to what D Diehl extension was.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything over $6 million annually is too much IMO (I think my mock was the one you were referring to, BTW). No doubt, he had a great season for the Giants, but this was his first year really being productive after multiple seasons of injuries and ineptitude. I don't think another team would give Beatty anything more than $6 million per because of not producing until his contract year and the fact that he has been injured in every single season he has been in the NFL. Something like 5 year, $30 million would be ideal, as long as the Giants have provisions in it to decrease the salary if he remains and injury concern. The Giants are usually good about making both player and team friendly contracts.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I agree, a contract 4-5 years at $6m/year, $12m Guaranteed is on par with his play vs. market value. With a potential glut of FA LT, his demand won't be as high. We should be able to get him back at the rate. I used Tyson Clabo as an example (5ys, $25m) in my mock. A player who is below the level of top players. Bell's contract was basically a 1 year deal and Free was signed by the Cowboys, so they aren't great comparisons.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to take into account when thinking of Beatty's possibility of getting a new contract with the Giants is the very deep FA class for offensive tackles. Possible free agents include Ryan Clady, Andre Smith, Brandon Albert, Jake Long, Sebastian Vollmer, Gosder Cherilus, Phil Loadholt, Jermon Bushrod, Sam Baker, Will Svitek, Jamaal Brown, and Bryant McKinnie. This list doesn't include players who have yet to be cut, so there could be even more possibilities. Could soften up the contract demands a little bit if the Giants let Beatty test the market. Could lose him that way, also...
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos will not allow Ryan Clady to test the open market. They'll put the Franchise Tag on him. I sincerely doubt the Chiefs allow Albert to hit the open market.

Cherlius, Loadholt, & Andre Smith Jr are all Right Tackles.

So the open market LTs are Sebastian Vollmer, Jermon Bushrod, Jake Long, & Sam Baker.

I think Beatty compares favorably to that group besides Jake Long.
ESKY008

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think vollmer is a RT as well bro. I'd prefer to resign Beatty, sign Vollmer and draft Jones. Add a restructured Snee and Baas to that mix and you have a pretty good oline
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Broncos will not allow Ryan Clady to test the open market. They'll put the Franchise Tag on him. I sincerely doubt the Chiefs allow Albert to hit the open market.

Cherlius, Loadholt, & Andre Smith Jr are all Right Tackles.

So the open market LTs are Sebastian Vollmer, Jermon Bushrod, Jake Long, & Sam Baker.

I think Beatty compares favorably to that group besides Jake Long.

I agree with Clady. He is too good of a pass protector for the Broncos to let him hit the open market. As for Cherilus, Loadholt, and Smith, they all may be RTs but the Giants sorely need a RT. Unless you are willing to take a chance on Brewer or keep going with Diehl, the Giants need to get a RT for next year.

I prefer the Giants to keep Beatty, but if they can sign one of those RTs and use a 1st round pick on someone like Eric Fisher, that would solve a ton of issues on the offensive line.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point Hakeem. If negotiations with Beatty get out of control and he's commanding 7-8 million a year, signing one of the Right Tackles and then drafting the LT of the future is a logical solution.

Cherlius intrigues me. I also think that if Beatty does command 8 million a year, it's worth considering Jake Long.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Great point Hakeem. If negotiations with Beatty get out of control and he's commanding 7-8 million a year, signing one of the Right Tackles and then drafting the LT of the future is a logical solution.

Cherlius intrigues me. I also think that if Beatty does command 8 million a year, it's worth considering Jake Long.

Anything over $6 million annually is too much for Beatty, IMO. He played great this year, but has just been too inconsistent over the course of his career to invest that much into. I think the Giants go the RT route because it is going to be more cost-effective. Only 5 RTs in the league command over $5 million annually. So unless you are a top notch RT (Andre Smith is IMO), you won't be getting a monstrous payday.

What is really unfortunate is that Jake Matthews and Taylor Lewan decided to return to school. The OT class had a ton of great high-round prospects but those two returning really made it harder for the Giants to assure themselves of a great OT prospect. Eric Fisher has a 50/50 chance of being there at 20, but there are concerns about how he can translate to the next level after playing against worse competition.

Also, I forgot to mention Brandon Albert in my previous post. You said you can't see the Chiefs let him go, but I feel the exact opposite. Albert has been a solid but unspectacular OT for his entire career, and I don't see the Chiefs giving away big bucks for him because: a) they already have tons of money tied up into Eric Winston, who they signed last year to play RT; and b) they drafted their LT of the future last year in Donald Stephenson. You don't use a high round pick (early 3rd) on a LT if you plan on paying the one you already have. Maybe the Chiefs franchise Albert so he stays another season, but I highly doubt he signs a multi-year deal to return to his team.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Fisher now being the real #2 LT prospect, we would probably more likely to look at Lane Johnson- Oklahoma. He has played pretty well and is one to watch in the Senior Bowl/Combine. Other canidates include Jordan Pugh- Syracuse and Oday Aboushi- Virginia.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oday Aboushi reminds me of Will Beatty to an extent. I think the 1st is a reach for him though.

Another intriguing FA is Sebastian Vollmer, but the history of back issues could scare away Giants brass.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: