Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If we had the #1 overall pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Some need to quit the witch hunt on one of our young players and give him at least one year to prove himself knowing he is going to be the full time starter from September on.

This is a completely ridiculous and laughable comment. There is no witch hunt for Worlids at all.

If you are fine with a guy who has never shown the ability to stop the run or beat an OT being a full time starter, then so be it. But dont act like its people hating on Worlids just because they dont want to see it.

You guys are acting like Worlids hasnt been here long and has had no opportunities.

NEWSFLASH...he is going into his 4th year and has shown very little progression and nothing in terms of being a future starter.

How would you characterize James Harrison? I know people are going to say things like he was a UDFA, but until he was given a chance there wasn't much faith in James Harrison. Especially after J. Porter was released fans where having the Steelers draft or acquire every OLB possible.

Harrison always showed the ability. Even LeBeau stated as much. It was his inability to follow directions. The would tell him to do one thing, and he would do another.

You keep bringing up these players who turned things around. Fair enough, but this is the problem and Ive said it before....for every Harrison type that turns it around , there are 10 Alonzo Jackson's.

Bottom line: Could Worlids step up? Sure, but based on what he has shown to this point, Steeler fans should be scared of him being a full time starter, and he is much closer to Alonzo Jackson than James Harrison.

Worilds is 10x's the player Jackson was your just trying your hardest to make Worilds look worse then what he is and that's a 2nd string OLB capable of playing both OLB positions.

The reason I keep bringing up the Steelers feel good stories is because Worilds matches them. A player who through the first 2-3 yrs of his early careere was a ST player and primary backup. The great player leaves who's in front of him and he carries on tradition like he's suppose to.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Some need to quit the witch hunt on one of our young players and give him at least one year to prove himself knowing he is going to be the full time starter from September on.

This is a completely ridiculous and laughable comment. There is no witch hunt for Worlids at all.

If you are fine with a guy who has never shown the ability to stop the run or beat an OT being a full time starter, then so be it. But dont act like its people hating on Worlids just because they dont want to see it.

You guys are acting like Worlids hasnt been here long and has had no opportunities.

NEWSFLASH...he is going into his 4th year and has shown very little progression and nothing in terms of being a future starter.

How would you characterize James Harrison? I know people are going to say things like he was a UDFA, but until he was given a chance there wasn't much faith in James Harrison. Especially after J. Porter was released fans where having the Steelers draft or acquire every OLB possible.
exactly! You can say the same for Haggans, Towsend who you mentioned, Keenan Lewis last year and brown the year before.

Until Worilds is a full time starter we won't know exactly what we have there. That time is NOW!

The only player that compares in anyway to Worlids is Lewis, and only from the standpoint that Lewis was basically handed the starting job out of necessity.

However, unlike Worlids, Lewis had shown moments of pure brilliance prior to this season. He just got in Tomlin;s doghouse, but still showed the ability.

This is the question you guys keep avoiding...WHAT HAS WORLIDS SHOWN? Answer the question...PLEASE!
10 games started, 10 sacks and 45 tackles. It's promise, it's something to work with and develop. If he gets more practice reps in the offseason and starters reps in the offseason and during the season he will only be better. He deserves a shot at starting if Harrison is gone just like anyone else would, just like Kennan did when Gay way gone, just like Harrison did when Porter was gone just like Brown did when Wallace was gone and people questioned if he should start because they had Ward. Just like Foote in front of Timmons, a lot of people thought Timmons was going to amount to nothing until he started playing more over Foote.

Players need to be given opportunities, Worilds had a few and showed some good plays and some things he needs to work on, but he's shown something. I refuse to accept some ken saying that in 3 years the guy has made ZERO good plays for this team and he doesn't have skills to build upon to be an effective starter because nothing could be further from the truth.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Harrison always showed the ability. Even LeBeau stated as much. It was his inability to follow directions. The would tell him to do one thing, and he would do another.

You keep bringing up these players who turned things around. Fair enough, but this is the problem and Ive said it before....for every Harrison type that turns it around , there are 10 Alonzo Jackson's.

Bottom line: Could Worlids step up? Sure, but based on what he has shown to this point, Steeler fans should be scared of him being a full time starter, and he is much closer to Alonzo Jackson than James Harrison.

Worilds is 10x's the player Jackson was your just trying your hardest to make Worilds look worse then what he is and that's a 2nd string OLB capable of playing both OLB positions.

The reason I keep bringing up the Steelers feel good stories is because Worilds matches them. A player who through the first 2-3 yrs of his early careere was a ST player and primary backup. The great player leaves who's in front of him and he carries on tradition like he's suppose to.
exactly, keep the facts coming! Cool it's pretty clear that for whatever reason 43 doesn't like Worilds. I really have no clue why and why he has faith in other reserves to be starters one day but not Worilds. It's mind boggling

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

He's never been a starter for an entire season. All I ask for is one season that the team gives him without Harrison in front of him. Why is that too much to ask?

Turtle, the crazy thing is without any preconceived notions of who Jason Worilds is as a Steeler. If the Steelers could get Mingo, Montgomery or even Jordan in the second round fans would be estatic. Jason Worilds is equivalent to all those players.
yeah. In sure that happened as well. And I know it would happen if any of those players were selected because most people are mocking them to the Steelers and IMO ignoring the teams greatest need, talented youth at the safety position because both starters are old and injury prone.

Quote:
Not going to go back and drag up old history but nobody was knocking the pick of Jason Worilds in 2009. How is a 2nd string player getting this much flack. Only a Steelers 2nd string player would get chastised without even seeing the field.
yeah it's crazy I don't know why some dont want to see him have a shot at starting before determining if he needs to be gone and a new future olb needs to be drafted.

I would say all teams fans get on back ups though and chastise them if they don't like them for whatever reason. Redskins fans do it a lot.

I'm Wondering why we have to prove Worilds has done something but when he plays he does make some plays but others can't prove why he won't ever be anything as a starter without truly knowing the answer to that.

wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had the #1 overall pick I'd have a hard time not trading back and acquiring an additional 1st rounder for next years draft in additional to a couple extra picks this year. With the #1 overall pick, we could really set our draft classes up nicely for the next two seasons.. but if I had to pick someone..I can't argue with Jarvis Jones.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'd always trade back but the point of the thread is more so about who is your #1 want.

As for Worilds issue, I'm resigned to giving Worilds the shot. He's easily demonstrated more than Jackson. I'd roll with him as the starter. I'm prepared for a few years of transition, IMO the longer we wait to commit to it the longer the transition will be.

You have Carter behind him and several potentials with another year of experience. Hopefully we will find a good prospect in the draft to throw in the mix but Worilds has shown he is capable of playing and starting and contributing. Has he shown he is James Harrison capable, not the DPOY Harrison but he showed enough to be 2012 James Harrison at least and its not like Wood actually played/plays any better (sad to say).

...you have a forum resume?
treat88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
10 games started, 10 sacks and 45 tackles.

It's something at least.

There's reason to think he can man the position.

I don't see an impact player in the making, but he might be able to play at starting caliber levels.

Certainly replaceable if the opportunity arises.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
10 games started, 10 sacks and 45 tackles.

It's something at least.

There's reason to think he can man the position.

I don't see an impact player in the making, but he might be able to play at starting caliber levels.

Certainly replaceable if the opportunity arises.

Exactly! Not saying Worilds is the long term answer, but more then just a trash 2nd round pick.

Sacks are everything but combined with pressures can help a defense force turnovers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: