Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Glennon Scouting Report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Mike Glennon Scouting Report Reply with quote

Mike GlennonQB
North Carolina State
6í5Ē 235lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uygMU8GbWPE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URoXVwlayj8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682RFNg_DN0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEn_9QvOCfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avFKFcJJ6Xc

Preview:
Mike Glennon is a guy that seemingly came out of nowhere and is getting a lot of media hype from draft ďexperts.Ē I wanted to put some time into scouting him thoroughly so I watched several of his games (Tennessee 2012, UNC 2012, Miami 2012, Clemson 2012, Louisville 2011, Clemson 2011, Maryland 2011, and even the2008 HS All America Game).
First and foremost it has to be said Glennon suffered from a terrible receiving core in 2012. According to Optimum Scouting, NCST had the MOST drops of any team in college football. So donít confuse his low accuracy (59%) with him just being plain inaccurate. With solid receivers, heíd easily be around 65%. Have to give him credit for getting frustrated by all the drops. He just keeps playing. Additionally, NCSTís running game ranked 111th in college football so Glennonís supporting cast was less than some of the other top prospects like Geno, Barkley, and Wilson.
Glennon was a top HS recruit and earned his teamís MVP in the 2008 HS All America Game. He got stuck behind Russell Wilson for 2 years and kind of fell to the background. Then, in 2011, Russell Wilson was pushed out of NCST by his coach because he wanted to be a two-sport athlete. Wilson transferred to Wisconsin. Some suggest the presence of the highly rated Glennon waiting for a chance made this an easier decision.
Glennon is a classic pocket passer who was a 2 year starter for NCST. In those two years Glennon accumulated a 15-10 record, 7,085 passing yards, 6.95 YPA, 60% completion, 62 TDs, 29 INTs (>2:1 TD/INT ratio).

Strengths:
Glennon has prototypical size and the frame to add more weight if need be. He has a top 10 NFL and can make all the throws. He comes from a legit pro style offense at NCST. They ran from shotgun and under center. They threw to all areas of the field and didnít resort to many gimmicks of a spread offense like excessive screens. Glennon threw to many NFL routes including short throws (slants, mesh, drag, etc). Most of his throws are 9+ yards downfield which is very unusual in the college game. However, Glennon is not afraid to check down and he shows good accuracy and touch on short to intermediate throws. Arguably Glennonís greatest strength is his ability to work through progressions. Heís not a one read QB like most in college football. He doesnít lock onto receivers but keeps his head on a swivel. He regularly throws to his 2nd and 3rd reads. He excels throwing into man coverage. Glennon has good footwork on drop backs and steps into his throws when thereís a clean pocket. He stays in the pocket and doesnít escape at the first sign of pressure. He stands tall and keeps his eyes down the field. He gets the ball out fairly quickly most of the time. Heís got a decent release which is quick but his release point is a little low. With his height that isnít too big of a problem though. Glennon rarely misses the wide open receiver and when he misses on deep throws he usually misses long. Heís got a good deep pass that doesnít sail but he could be more accurate in this area. Over his two years as a starter, Glennon has proven to be a pretty clutch QB leading several comebacks including coming back from a 27 point deficit to Maryland in 2011.

Weaknesses:
Like I said Glennon is a pure pocket passer. He has very limited mobility so when pressure is in his face, he often throws off his back foot because he canít escape the pocket. This is by far his biggest problem. Many of Glennonís interceptions are a result of these throws. When he has time and can step into his throws, heís an elite QB. He has the arm to fling it out of bounds when this happens but sometimes tries to make the great throw for better or worse. He steps up in the pocket occasionally but must do so more consistently. When he doesnít, he forces himself into throwing off his back foot. Itís either that or he takes the sack. He is decent at rolling out off play action. Heís not a complete stiff as an athlete as he can produce the occasional 10 yard run but he needs to improve his foot speed and agility so he can move around the pocket better. Glennon seems to struggle throwing into zone coverage. Release is fast enough but release point could be higher. Heís prone to fumbling the football which is a problem that heíll need to correct. Oh and he has an abnormally long neck so it's kind of funny to look at.

Outlook:
Glennon compares to Joe Flacco. Heís a tall, strong-armed, slow, and has fumbling problems. Heís not a guy you want starting year 1 because he really needs to clean up his mechanics, especially throwing off his back foot. I donít think his mechanics wilt under pressure because he panics ala Blaine Gabbert. Itís more like he just gets lazy and trusts his arm too much. He takes a hit really well. The main thing Glennon needs to improve on is mechanics under pressure and pocket movement. Those are two major problems though. Heíll need a strong offensive line (especially the interior OL) to compensate for his lack of pocket mobility. However Glennon does have some special things going for him. He can make any throw and he seems to have the mental capacity to handle the complexities of absorbing NFL playbooks and going through progressions. This is a very important and underrated skill. Itís something John Skelton almost lacks completely which is why he still canít read coverages after 3 years. Some QBs just donít have it mentally. I was also impressed with Glennon as a person. Heís no Barkley or Wilson with a strong reputation as a leader but heís very calm and by all reports your typical hard working QB.

I wouldnít want to take Glennon is the 1st round. Heís got some big flaws but so do Barkley and Wilson but he doesnít have their physical limitations. His problems are fixable. Ideally, heís a guy you take in the late 2nd-early 3rd round area ala Osweiler and Mallett. But Iíd be thrilled to have him as our 2nd round selection and have him back up Kolb for a year and get the occasional/inevitable start. Heís my #2 rated QB behind Geno Smith because heís got franchise potential whereas guys like Barkley/Wilson have potential as game managers.

Thoughts?
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't get over the decision making. He makes 2-3 throws a game that even have me anrgy and I don't have any care for NC State at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a Whiz QB if I've ever seen one.

Please, please no.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to favor me conservative QB's for this current team with some more mobility. I'm kinda caught between sticking with Kolb and bolstering the OL for him or rolling with a rookie right away. If we draft a QB early to back up Kolb and Kolb goes down the rook will be thrown in there (previous point Champ made with Dysert). If we keep Kolb I want him to have nearly every snap in TC knowing he's the guy. If he does get injured we could rely on a cheap vet like Hoyer to step in. I want the first 3-4 picks to be OL & a RB allowing us to protect him and run the ball.

Then again a new coach could come in and tell him to get lost. Smile

The Rebuild Has Begun...
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
I just can't get over the decision making. He makes 2-3 throws a game that even have me anrgy and I don't have any care for NC State at all.

I found that most of his bad decisions were the correct reads just terrible throws (usually off his back foot). I didn't see him throw into to bad coverages too often. Then again, the Tennessee game (4 INTs) is more distant in my memory than other games and I haven't seen the Vanderbilt game yet (3 INTs). The 2 INTs in the Miami game though aren't his fault. One was a clear miscommunication and the other was off a last second desperate hail mary.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up Apollo, first and foremost.

Secondly, I watched him in the ACC last couple of years, yes he beat FSU, but they handed him that game on a platter and he almost lost it.

Talent he plays with is poor, but so are alot of schools.

His backfoot throwing and decisions annoy me the most, same as EJ Manuel.

Who is the same player, just playing on different team.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
That's a Whiz QB if I've ever seen one.

Please, please no.

Eh Glennon is just simply a better prospect than Skelton or Lindley though. He's not that big and strong armed but mentally limted QB. He's more accurate than Lindley and a better decision maker than Skelton. Pocket passers with limited mobility need good protection though and he'd struggle behind any OL that Whiz ever put together.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Nice write up Apollo, first and foremost.

Secondly, I watched him in the ACC last couple of years, yes he beat FSU, but they handed him that game on a platter and he almost lost it.

Talent he plays with is poor, but so are alot of schools.

His backfoot throwing and decisions annoy me the most, same as EJ Manuel.

Who is the same player, just playing on different team.

Thank you. Didn't catch the FSU game unfortunately but yeah I'm sure the backfoot throwing showed up a lot. The thing with Glennon is the backfoot throwing and bad decisions are usually one and the same.

And no Glennon is much different than Manuel as a prospect. Glennon is very limited athletically that is obvious but Manuel seems to throw nothing but screen passes all game. Seriously I'd guess 30% of his passes are pure screens. Glennon ran a more advanced offense that projects more to the NFL.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

I found that most of his bad decisions were the correct reads just terrible throws (usually off his back foot). I didn't see him throw into to bad coverages too often. Then again, the Tennessee game (4 INTs) is more distant in my memory than other games and I haven't seen the Vanderbilt game yet (3 INTs). The 2 INTs in the Miami game though aren't his fault. One was a clear miscommunication and the other was off a last second desperate hail mary.

Watch the Virginia game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Watch the Virginia game.

I didn't watch that one. Post a link to it if you can.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel didnt throw 30% screens, maybe 10%, once Thompson went down, they really dropped off.

He can throw downfield and all the NFL route tree.

He actually has a nice deep ball believe it or not.

My problem is as a fan and a NFL scout (i dream) is that he throws off the back foot too much, relies on athleticism too much, locks on receivers and also forces it into double coverage.

There is also the annoying factor between his best game and worst game.

The difference is immense.

Florida game this year was awful (5 turnovers i recall at least, bounced passes, AHHH !), some of the earlier games were pretty good, the NC State game was horrific.

If you can fix the issues, then he is a poster boy pick, unfortunately i dont think you can.
DDOCKETT90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glennon is the #1 guy on lots of lists

matthouston91 made it!
Chg91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDOCKETT90 wrote:
Glennon is the #1 guy on lots of lists

And I have no idea why, he's totally overhyped. Do not want.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Glennon gets a little undersold as Big guy with Big Arm. He is a lot more than that, he knows how to use touch on the shorter throws, he knows how go through reads and progressions. He is not a guy who is going to be running around, but he is not a statue either, he moves his feet in the pocket. He struggles with pressure up the middle in his face, but so do many QB's it is a matter of A] Picking up the pressure or B] Making your hot read and getting rid of the ball before the pressure becomes a factor.

I am a little big worried about his accuracy on outside breaking routes. He consistently overthrows his corner routes and consistently places his out routes too far inside, the latter of which will lead to interceptions at the NFL level.

I am also a little bit worried about his ability to read a defense and make adjustments. I am not sure how much control he has/had at NC State, but there were plenty of times where there were obvious blitzes coming and he stuck with the 7 step drop called play and ends up in a mess in the pocket. Go to the hot route, get the ball out of your hands and live to play the next down. He also tends to throws confidently into double coverages, almost like he is expecting single coverage. One play vs Clemson that sticks out is a 9 route down the left hand side of the field that should have been an INT but wasn't. He throws one up there for grabs as if it is 1 v 1 coverage.

I see a lot of Flacco anytime I watch Glennon, but I also see some some John Skelton, particularly with regards to reading a defense.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
PacAttack04

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also seems like an Bruce Arians QB if he comes here. All the QBs in Pittsburgh, both starters and backups like Leftwich, Roethlisberger, Luck, all have been primarily big, strong armed pocket QBs, ones that can throw all over the field

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: