Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tom Telesco Hired as New San Diego Chargers General Manager
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy with Hue Jackson as HC. I am reserving judgement on Telesco until I see his moves. I just don't know enough about the guy to have an informed opinion. Glad we didn't roll with Raye though. We need a culture shift as I am pretty fed up with the mediocre product the Spanos have fielded the last 5 years.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
I don't see much reason to bring Lovie in. We'd have to overhaul yet again and fire most of the defensive staff, including a guy showing major potential in Pags.
You are correct and this interview will go no where. Buffalo had him in and he was barely out the door when they announced they were hiring the Syracuse guy.

Smith is the last guy you want as a HC. It would be a total change from the exciting offenses Chargers have had in the past to hire a guy with NO idea of offense.

My crystal ball tells me that Arians will be your guy.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
I don't see much reason to bring Lovie in. We'd have to overhaul yet again and fire most of the defensive staff, including a guy showing major potential in Pags.

What's starting to worry me a bit is that we're seeing defensive coaches being brought in for HC interviews right around the same time as Chud (and, rumored at least, Norv) are getting hired in Cleveland - and Cleveland writers are rumoring Pags as a DC option for them.

Granted, we'd have to give them permission to interview him for a lateral hire because he's still under contract and not a positional coach, but just not liking the way dots are starting to connect.

I'll say this, I truly believe the future of the league lies in the hybrid defenses Seattle and Baltimore have been implementing (less a pure 3-4 and more of a 4-3 under that shows a lot of different looks) and I think that shape fits our personnel pretty darn well too. I've just seen too much evidence to the contrary to suggest that Lovie is so flexible about his scheme that he wouldn't try to overhaul us into a Tampa/Cover-2 4-3.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

What's starting to worry me a bit is that we're seeing defensive coaches being brought in for HC interviews right around the same time as Chud (and, rumored at least, Norv) are getting hired in Cleveland - and Cleveland writers are rumoring Pags as a DC option for them.

Granted, we'd have to give them permission to interview him for a lateral hire because he's still under contract and not a positional coach, but just not liking the way dots are starting to connect.

I'll say this, I truly believe the future of the league lies in the hybrid defenses Seattle and Baltimore have been implementing (less a pure 3-4 and more of a 4-3 under that shows a lot of different looks) and I think that shape fits our personnel pretty darn well too. I've just seen too much evidence to the contrary to suggest that Lovie is so flexible about his scheme that he wouldn't try to overhaul us into a Tampa/Cover-2 4-3.

I'm sure we're going to assure all candidates Pags stays. I struggle to think anyone will be better this year than him.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are getting your hopes up too high. Arians will be the next HC.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better hope they bring in a new HC fast, and that they are set on keeping Pags

Rotoworld wrote:
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski is targeting Chargers DC John Pagano as his defensive coordinator.
Citing a source, the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot confirmed Shefter's report. This move fits the Brown's anticipated shift from a 4-3 to 3-4 base defense. If Pagano does go to Cleveland, he'll likely join former Chargers head coach Norv Turner, who is expected to be named the Browns' offensive coordinator when he returns from his family vacation in Hawaii.

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be furious if they let Pags get away.

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More reports on interviews

Rotoworld wrote:
According to NFL Network's Albert Breer, Seahawks DC Gus Bradley interviewed for the Chargers' head-coaching vacancy Thursday night.
The Eagles will also interview the man described by Seattle coach Pete Carroll as a "brilliant football mind." Bradley joins Lovie Smith, Ken Whisenhunt, and Bruce Arians as candidates on the interview list. The Chargers are reportedly interested in 49ers OC Greg Roman and Bengals DC Mike Zimmer as well, though no interviews have been scheduled.

Rotoworld wrote:
Ex-Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt will reportedly interview for the Chargers' head-coaching vacancy on Saturday.
Whisenhunt will follow ex-Bears coach Lovie Smith, who is interviewing on Friday. The Bolts are also expected to meet with Colts OC Bruce Arians and DC Mike Zimmer, though no interviews have been reported yet. With the Browns out of the picture, Whisenhunt's options are limited.

Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tampering!

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these great names.... and we'll pick Arians. Laughing

#JDI
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
All these great names.... and we'll pick Arians. Laughing

Better not knock him. He's probably the best shot at keeping Pags in there.

Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caplan just tweeted that Roman isn't a HC on a lot of peoples Board because there's been some issues with him handling the lockerroom and that he may have trouble with assigning coaches.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Caplan just tweeted that Roman isn't a HC on a lot of peoples Board because there's been some issues with him handling the lockerroom and that he may have trouble with assigning coaches.

Wouldn't really surprise me. He's still very young. Zimmer would be a nice choice and he could probably bring Hue (who I'd like better in an OC role the more I think) and keep Pags since Zimmer did run a 3-4 in Dallas I believe.

#JDI
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers will interview Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden for their head-coaching vacancy on Sunday.
Gruden also has interviews set up with the Eagles on Monday and Jaguars on Tuesday. The National Football Post's Dan Pompei wrote on Sunday morning that new Chargers GM Tom Telesco is "said to hold Gruden in high regard," dating back to last year when Gruden was a top candidate for the Colts' head coach opening while Telesco was in Indy.

The Chargers will interview Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for their head-coaching vacancy on Monday.
Expect plenty of McCoy news to trickle out this week now that the Broncos have been eliminated from the playoffs. The Bolts have been moving pretty slowly in their search for a head coach, but McCoy joins a list headlined by ex-Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, ex-Bears head coach Lovie Smith, and Colts OC Bruce Arians.

At least they're doing some real work on finding the right guy. My only fear is that they lose the guy they want by taking too much time.

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers will interview Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden for their head-coaching vacancy on Sunday.
Gruden also has interviews set up with the Eagles on Monday and Jaguars on Tuesday. The National Football Post's Dan Pompei wrote on Sunday morning that new Chargers GM Tom Telesco is "said to hold Gruden in high regard," dating back to last year when Gruden was a top candidate for the Colts' head coach opening while Telesco was in Indy.

The Chargers will interview Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for their head-coaching vacancy on Monday.
Expect plenty of McCoy news to trickle out this week now that the Broncos have been eliminated from the playoffs. The Bolts have been moving pretty slowly in their search for a head coach, but McCoy joins a list headlined by ex-Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, ex-Bears head coach Lovie Smith, and Colts OC Bruce Arians.

At least they're doing some real work on finding the right guy. My only fear is that they lose the guy they want by taking too much time.

I'm really not worried about that. Last season only the Rams and Chiefs vacancies were filled by this point and none of the other dominoes (Pagano, Shurmur, Philbin, Mularkey, Allen) fell until after the Conference Championship games had been played.

We're slightly ahead of the curve this season with 4 hires, but there were also more vacancies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: