Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Nzd's Mock Offseason - V2.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you rank this offseason?
A... this would be a great offseason!
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
B... Pretty good except for a few things.
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
C... It's okay.
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
D... I would've done it differently.
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
F... This is horrible!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

Nzd07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Nzd's Mock Offseason - V2.0 Reply with quote

Comments appreciated!

Players Leaving:

QB Joe Webb
WR Devin Aromashodu
OL Joe Berger
OL Charlie Johnson
OL Troy Kropog
LB Erin Henderson
LB Tyrone McKenzie
CB Brandon Burton
CB Marcus Sherels
S Andrew Sendejo

Players Resigning:

FB Jerome Felton -- 3 years
WR Stephen Burton -- 1 year
WR Michael Jenkins -- 1 year
WR Jerome Simpson -- 1 year
OG Geoff Schwartz -- 1 year
OT Phil Loadholt -- 4 years
DE Jared Allen -- 4 years (restructure)
DT Kevin Williams -- 2 years (restructure)
LB Marvin Mitchell -- 2 years
LB Jasper Brinkley -- 1 year
CB AJ Jefferson -- 3 years
S Jamarca Sanford -- 1 year

Free Agency:

Jon Beason, MLB -- 4 years

A veteran LB who was playing well before he got injured; the addition of young stud Luke Kuechly forces Carolina to cut him. Desperate for an upgrade over Brinkley, Spielman lures Beason to Minny with a solid contract. He'll start over Brinkley and should solidify the linebacking corps.

D.J. Moore, CB -- 1 year

A cheap corner buried beneath a top-notch Chicago secondary, Moore is brought in to provide competition and depth. He played nickel in Chicago and could be Antoine's future replacement.

Jason Jones, DT -- 2 years

Jones will be brought in as a reliever for Kevin Williams on passing downs. He could also serve as a backup DE.

Matt Moore, QB -- 2 years

Bringing in Moore shows Ponder that he needs to improve and still needs to earn his job next year. He's also a solid backup in case Ponder goes down.

TRADE: Vikings trade Percy Harvin and pick 151 to Houston for pick 28.
Unable to come to terms on a new deal, Spielman pulls the trigger to send Harvin and a late pick to Houston for their first rounder. The deal makes sense for both sides: Houston feels Harvin puts them over the top; Minnesota feels confident in emerging receiver Jarius Wright.

TRADE: Vikings trade pick 119 and a 2014 conditional pick to Philadelphia for WR Jeremy Maclin.
Maclin is a decent #2 reciever, and more of a luxury player. The Eagles, looking to rebuild, feel like trading Maclin is their best option. Enter Minnesota, who has concerns about Jenkins being able to start on the outside, and a deal gets done to send Maclin to Minny.

NFL Draft:

Round 1 [23] -- Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

| Height: 6'3" | Weight: 205 lbs. | Proj. 40 time: 4.45| http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx6pGFvDqt0
My favorite receiver from the draft. Patterson has all the measurables you can ask for in a WR. He reminds me a lot of TO: a great YAC receiver, but also has the ability to make the big play downfield. When Patterson gets the ball in his hands he does a great job of following blocks and breaking tackles. This is probably because he returns kicks, and is damn good at it. He's a little raw and will need experience to fully adjust to the game, but Patterson will make a fine WR in the NFL.

Round 1 [28] -- Matt Elam, SS, Florida

| Height: 5'10" | Weight: 200 lbs. | Proj. 40 time: 4.53 | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8AYhBZOLJk
Matt Elam is a physical safety who isn't afraid to come up and make a tackle in the run game. He shows good coverage skills and does a great job of staying in his zone, which is very important for a cover 2 safety. The biggest knock on him is his poor footwork and overpursuit of ball carriers; both can be fixed with good coaching. The final starting piece is solved, and for the first time in a while I can feel confident about Minnesota's secondary.

TRADE: Minnesota trades pick 54 to New England for picks 61 and 94.
After taking a CB in round 1, New England gets desperate for a receiver. After eyeing Robert Woods for a while, the Pats trade up with Minny, fearing the talented receiver won't be around for much longer. The Vikings are able to obtain more picks after trading some away; Spielman pulls his draft magic once gain.

Round 2 [61] -- Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky

| Height: 6'3" | Weight: 345 | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTVRFZiNhhU
One of my favorite guards in the draft, Warford will be a welcomed upgrade over Charlie Johnson. He did very well this season considering he plays on a terrible team against college football's best defenses. He's strong, athletic for a guard, and plays very intelligently. I always see him finish a block then quickly turn upfield and look for someone else to block. The offensive line is now in great shape after being utterly putrid just 2 years ago.

Round 3 [87] -- Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas State

| Height: 6'1" | Weight: 230 | |Proj. 40 time: 4.62 | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V28z8J3QbtY
A good coverage LB with incredible athleticism; Arthur Brown reminds me a lot of Lavonte David. Like David, he's a little undersized, but would still make a great WLB in the NFL. His coaches praise him for being a film room junkie and having a great work ethic. This will also bring in some healthy competition, as both Brown and Marvin Mitchell will be battling for the vacant WLB spot.

Round 3 [94] -- Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State

| Height: 6'1" | Weight: 296 lbs. | Proj. 40 time: 5.06 | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFZ2PKWJ8s
With Kevin Williams' career winding down, we'll need a DT to take his place. Though Guion and Ballard are solid rotational guys, we don't know how they'd handle a starting role. Hill, a prototypical 3-tech, has a great motor and knows how to get to the quarterback. If he can bulk up a bit and spend a year behind a veteran line, I like Hill as Kevin's replacement next year.

Round 4 [101] -- Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State

| Height: 6'2" | Weight: 238 | Proj. 40 time: 4.74 | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFPQNY8zdho
Chad Greenway is already turning 30 this year... boy does time fly. I'm not saying replace him now, but it would be a good idea to draft a future replacement for him this year. Hodges is young, athletic, and raw. He has great instincts and is a great play maker. In a few years' time, Hodges will be ready to step in and replace Greenway.

Round 6 [168] -- Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon

| Height: 6'3" | |Weight: 218 lbs. | |Proj. 40 time: 4.53 |http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnBirD6HR4
A small school WR, Mellette dominated at Elon. He's definitely got the physical traits, but he'll need good coaching and a year or two to adjust to the NFL. The Vikings take a chance on him, hoping to find a late round gem at WR.

Round 6 [181] -- Theo Riddick, RB, Notre Dame

| Height: 5'10" | |Weight: 200 lbs. | |Proj. 40 time: 4.52 | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRyYxih4kaU
The draft just wouldn't be the same without a golden-domer! Riddick is a versatile back, he even lined up at WR sometimes. He'll compete for the 3rd RB spot with Asiata and Todman.

Projected Starters/Contributors:
Red = Rookie Blue = Free Agent

Offense:

QB Christian Ponder
RB Adrian Peterson / Toby Gerhart
FB Jerome Felton
WR1: Cordarelle Patterson
Slot: Jarius Wright
WR2: Jeremy Maclin
TE1: Kyle Rudolph
TE2: Rhett Ellsion

LT: Matt Kalil
LG: Larry Warford
C: John Sullivan
RG: Brandon Fusco / Geoff Schwartz
RT: Phil Loadholt

Defense:

LE: Brian Robison / Everson Griffen
NT: Fred Evans
UT: Kevin Williams / Jason Jones
RE: Jared Allen

SLB: Chad Greenway
MLB: Jon Beason
WLB: Arthur Brown

LCB: Josh Robinson
FS: Harrison Smith
SS: Matt Elam
RCB: Chris Cook
NCB: Antoine Winfield
perrynoid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! But, how did we pick up an additional 3rd round pick?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell of a lot of nice cookies in this draft. sort of like the rest of the NFL decided to help us out.

sweet one, though.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Nzd07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrynoid wrote:
Looks great! But, how did we pick up an additional 3rd round pick?

Quote:
TRADE: Minnesota trades pick 54 to New England for picks 61 and 94.
After taking a CB in round 1, New England gets desperate for a receiver. After eyeing Robert Woods for a while, the Pats trade up with Minny, fearing the talented receiver won't be around for much longer. The Vikings are able to obtain more picks after trading some away; Spielman pulls his draft magic once gain.

It might seem a bit unrealistic but Woods is pretty good value at that spot.
Nzd07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
hell of a lot of nice cookies in this draft. sort of like the rest of the NFL decided to help us out.

sweet one, though.

I remember in the Percy Harvin trade value forum a Texan fan (i think it was a mod, too) saying he'd give up a low 1st for Harvin.

The New England trade is a little unrealistic but if they get desperate enough for a WR I could see them doing that.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

sweet one, though.

I remember in the Percy Harvin trade value forum a Texan fan (i think it was a mod, too) saying he'd give up a low 1st for Harvin.

The New England trade is a little unrealistic but if they get desperate enough for a WR I could see them doing that.

New England didn't become a dynasty by giving up their draft picks out of "desperation".

No way Brown lasts into the third round.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be ecstatic if this happened. Patterson is also my favorite WR in this draft. What are people's thoughts on Beason? Very very good when healthy, would more then solidfy the middle for us!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beason is a player i love and a player who is likely to be relased since the Panthers cap situation is a disaster. The injury history is concerning, but he is a damn good player when healthy.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Beason is a player i love and a player who is likely to be relased since the Panthers cap situation is a disaster. The injury history is concerning, but he is a damn good player when healthy.

My thoughts exactly, if memory serves me right he was drafted in '07 with AD and Willis?? So age isn't really a concern either.
Nzd07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
Nzd07 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

sweet one, though.

New England didn't become a dynasty by giving up their draft picks out of "desperation".

No way Brown lasts into the third round.

Well they aren't overpaying that much... they traded up twice last year too. Again, Woods is a good value there so they aren't really losing that much.

Brown is ranked all over the place. On CBS he's ranked around 60... on WalterFootball he's ranked in the 80s... I guess we'll get a clear ranking for him after the combine.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I like the end result of the offseason --- very much yes.

Do I like the chance of 80% of this actually happening -- not very much

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Do I like the end result of the offseason --- very much yes.

Do I like the chance of 80% of this actually happening -- not very much

Could you tell me what's so unrealistic so I can change it?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:
Could you tell me what's so unrealistic so I can change it?

i think us picking up four FA's, even though they are all sensible ones to target, isn't too likely. given Spielman's method of doing business and their collective price.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that only two free agents at most making more than $3M per yr will be brought in.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave this a B.

Good overall, but I didn't like bringing back Brinkley when we also get Beason - I'd rather keep McKinley who is cheaper and a good special teams guy. This makes even less sense with the additions of Brown and Hodges.

I'm also not a big fan of Elam with the extra 1st. I really like the guy, but I'm not sure that he's a big upgrade over the safeties we could probably get in the 2nd - McDonald, Jefferson, and Reid. I'd rather look at OG with that 1st (or even the 23rd pick if Warmack is there) and Safety with the 2nd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: