Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Free Agent Wide Receiver Options
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is your ideal Free Agent WR for the Vikings?
Mike Wallace
33%
 33%  [ 15 ]
Dwayne Bowe
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Greg Jennings
42%
 42%  [ 19 ]
Danny Amendola
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Wes Welker
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 45

BrotherShine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Our Free Agent Wide Receiver Options Reply with quote

Ok so it's no secret we need at help at receiver. Besides Percy we did not, i repeat did not have a WR have more than 500 yards (including Kyle Rudolph). We ranked 31st!! in the NFL for passing!! What does this mean? Obviously we have sub par talent at the position along with the combination of Christian Ponder who had 3 games of 58, 63, and 91 yards passing... Rolling Eyes
I don't think our long term QB situation can be solved this year (which is fine because I want Teddy Bridgewater next year Pray )

Luckily in the draft we have a great opportunity to take a talented Patterson or Keenan. Free Agency is what really intrigues me this year though. There's possession receivers, deep threats, and overall consistent #1's. Personally I want Greg Jennings because of his consistency to run routes, find the open space in defense and make big plays. Who do you guys think is the best fit?? Who's the most realistic considering cap space??
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Jennings would be my top choice.

Brian Hartline is my more realistic choice.
eman9416

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me Jennings easily.

From what i've heard about Bowe is that he is a garbage time receiver only and not worth the money. Wallace seems like a head case even with all that talent.

A receiving core of Terrence Williams, Percy Harvin, Greg Jennings, Jarius Wright and Michael Jenkins or Jerome Simpson sounds like a top 10 core, possibly even top 5.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eman9416 wrote:
Give me Jennings easily.

From what i've heard about Bowe is that he is a garbage time receiver only and not worth the money. Wallace seems like a head case even with all that talent.

A receiving core of Terrence Williams, Percy Harvin, Greg Jennings, Jarius Wright and Michael Jenkins or Jerome Simpson sounds like a top 10 core, possibly even top 5.

Looking at the Chiefs over the year, of course he will be forced to play in a lot of garbage time. Cant fault him for that.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Our Free Agent Wide Receiver Options Reply with quote

BrotherShine wrote:
We ranked 31st!! in the NFL for passing!! What does this mean?

It means that we are a run-first offense
Zephiel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallace is what this team needs: a deep threat.

He would be exactly what we need, so I hope that if he does hit FA, we show some interest.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see any of the big name WR's coming here. I think Spiel sticks to his philosophy. In the end it think we will keep Harvin, grab a mid tier guy like Mohammed Massaquoi (who I really like) or Ramses Barden and pair them with a rookie. Having two outside guys and sticking Harvin would do wonders for our offense. Just like the CB position last year, you bring several guys into camp and see what sticks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put some real talent at the WR position, you might not have a QB issue.

Honestly, I don't think a single QB in the league, except for maybe Tom Brady could have consistent success with the lack of talent we had at WR. It was truly pitiful.

I'd sell out for Greg Jennings. He's a fantastic route runner, he can play on the inside or outside, and he can still be a downfield threat.

He's not that old, but he'll demand top dollar. I think you can still get 4 great years out of him.

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
Robb_K

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get Jennings, if he'll be willing to come. Adding him, together with grabbing a high-end WR with the 21st choice, will go a long way to help out Ponder, and the passing game. That, and added help in the defensive secondary and linebacker, will help this team to be able to go farther in the playoffs, and win the NFC North.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robb_K wrote:
I'd get Jennings, if he'll be willing to come. Adding him, together with grabbing a high-end WR with the 21st choice, will go a long way to help out Ponder, and the passing game. That, and added help in the defensive secondary and linebacker, will help this team to be able to go farther in the playoffs, and win the NFC North.

If MN signs Jennings and keeps Harvin, I wouldnt draft a round 1 WR. If Harvin is then traded after signing Jennings, then the first rd pick could be used on a WR.

Id love to get Jennings and draft Cordarrelle Patterson, who can fill the void left by Harvin at KR and some of the underneath stuff Harvin does, with Wright largely in the slot. Jenkins and Simpson fill out the roster as reserves.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ideal scenario would be to sign Greg Jennings, I think he's the best option for what we need, then I'd like to see the team draft either Keenan Allen or Cordarrelle Patterson.

Even if Harvin stays, this team needs a major overhaul at the position.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
Thanatos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallace. He's a true deep threat and he has gotten better with his route running. Wallace would truly open up the underneath stuff for Harvin and the running lanes for AP. I am a little bit worried about Jennings because of his age and I think that Bowe would be the ideal choice but he has too many issues and it would be better to pass on him.

Even with Wallace selected, I want the Vikings to take a WR in the 2nd round or late 1st. That way it prepares in case Harvin does want to leave and it allows for a more talented core rather than 3 good WR's and the rest are crappy. WR does take a back seat to the needs at MLB and DT if Wallace signs with the Vikings.

I do see the Vikings going with Massaquoi and Barden instead of Wallace. I think the Vikings are going to play stingy with their cap space and build through the draft. That might not be the wrong way to build the franchise at this point though. If that route is chosen, the Vikings better make sure that they bring in a #1 WR through either those FA signings or the draft or we are going to see the same thing we saw this year.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
My ideal scenario would be to sign Greg Jennings, I think he's the best option for what we need, then I'd like to see the team draft either Keenan Allen or Cordarrelle Patterson.

Even if Harvin stays, this team needs a major overhaul at the position.

I agree, Jennings is the best combination of personality, skill, production and ability for this team.

If Harvin stays, combined with Wright and Jenkins, I only see at true need for 1 WR. If Jennings or a lesser free agent like Hartline is added, I think the Vikings can fell good about the WR position and ignore WR until round 3 or 4.

If Harvin is traded, which I think could be necessary if the team doesnt feel comfortable with Wright or Harvin on the outside, then it opens up the need for another early rd WR (assuming a free agent is added).

I wouldnt trade Harvin if a legit starting WR isnt added in free agency.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping Harvin and adding someone like Jennings is a good start but this team still needs more help at the position. Jenkins doesn't add anything of substance to the passing game, sure he's a great run blocker and he'll catch the occasional first down, but mainly he's just another body out their that can't get separation. This team still needs someone who can play on the outside, even if they sign Jennings/Wallace/Bowe, because Harvin simply can't do it. He shouldn't have to do it, it's not where he's the most dangerous.

Going into training camp with;

1. Greg Jennings - a true WCO receiver, and veteran leader. Not only will he bring his talents to the field, but he'll be a guy who can help teach the younger receivers the true benefit of running routes and how to find zones in coverage. Not to mention the help he will provide Ponder.

2. Percy Harvin - the X factor. Harvin isn't a conventional receiver, but he's a dynamic player maker. Harvin is an always will be best utilized out of the slot and backfield. It's hard to count him as a receiver.

3. Allen/Patterson - Big explosive players that can get downfield, go over the middle, attack the high ball, and run after the catch. Rookie wide receivers generally don't make huge impacts in their first year, but with Jennings and Harvin commanding the attention of defenses, these guys will be able to do a lot of damage as they will see a lot of simple coverages. Also, by having two other receivers, the rookies won't have to step into the fire.

4. Jarius Wright - a perfect 4th otion, who can get deep, but is alos very pesky on the underneath routes.

5. Stephen Burton - Great special teams player, good run blocker, your perfect 5th receiver.

6. Greg Childs - starts season on PUP.

All of a sudden the Vikings find themselves with an upper tier wide receiving corps. Added to a dynamic running game, and a vastly improving offensive line, this offense now has the personnel to attack any defense in the league, and should be able to keep up with high powered offenses.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
marshpit23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
Keeping Harvin and adding someone like Jennings is a good start but this team still needs more help at the position. Jenkins doesn't add anything of substance to the passing game, sure he's a great run blocker and he'll catch the occasional first down, but mainly he's just another body out their that can't get separation. This team still needs someone who can play on the outside, even if they sign Jennings/Wallace/Bowe, because Harvin simply can't do it. He shouldn't have to do it, it's not where he's the most dangerous.

Going into training camp with;

1. Greg Jennings - a true WCO receiver, and veteran leader. Not only will he bring his talents to the field, but he'll be a guy who can help teach the younger receivers the true benefit of running routes and how to find zones in coverage. Not to mention the help he will provide Ponder.

2. Percy Harvin - the X factor. Harvin isn't a conventional receiver, but he's a dynamic player maker. Harvin is an always will be best utilized out of the slot and backfield. It's hard to count him as a receiver.

3. Allen/Patterson - Big explosive players that can get downfield, go over the middle, attack the high ball, and run after the catch. Rookie wide receivers generally don't make huge impacts in their first year, but with Jennings and Harvin commanding the attention of defenses, these guys will be able to do a lot of damage as they will see a lot of simple coverages. Also, by having two other receivers, the rookies won't have to step into the fire.

4. Jarius Wright - a perfect 4th otion, who can get deep, but is alos very pesky on the underneath routes.

5. Stephen Burton - Great special teams player, good run blocker, your perfect 5th receiver.

6. Greg Childs - starts season on PUP.

All of a sudden the Vikings find themselves with an upper tier wide receiving corps. Added to a dynamic running game, and a vastly improving offensive line, this offense now has the personnel to attack any defense in the league, and should be able to keep up with high powered offenses.

Love this post! I completely agree that Jennings would bring a veteran presence and help both the young receivers and Ponder develop. I also like your take on Harvin and drafting a WR like Allen or Patterson. This scenario would be extremely exciting to see on the field next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: