Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3rd round pick (76th overall) OG Brandon Brooks
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
texans_uk


Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Posts: 28071
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
I heard and interview from Myers and he was asked about Brooks. I can't find the transcript but he basically said, this guys 60 pounds heavier than him but moves just as well. Also he said he see's him put guys on their butts and that's hard to do in this league. Also kinda hinted that he thought he'll be the starting RG next season.



I fully expect Brooks to be the starting RG next season and Derek Newton to be the starting RT as well. I'm glad you posted this, it's good to hear a players opinion of a rookie and I like positive news regarding our O-line. I'm hoping Brooks gets the majority of the snaps in Sundays game with New England due to Jones getting tossed around by Wilfork a month ago. This might be wishful thinking but with Brooks in the lineup I expect a better running game out of Foster.


Jones had the brains and in a few years might prove to be the next Chris Myers (undersized but it doesn't show) but right now he is getting tossed around like a rag doll consistently. I cringed watching him against Wilfork and Suh.
_________________
DallasInHeart wrote:
Buddy if you lived in Europe or ever gone to visit Europe you would know that over there Football is totally on a different level

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4237
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
I heard and interview from Myers and he was asked about Brooks. I can't find the transcript but he basically said, this guys 60 pounds heavier than him but moves just as well. Also he said he see's him put guys on their butts and that's hard to do in this league. Also kinda hinted that he thought he'll be the starting RG next season.



I fully expect Brooks to be the starting RG next season and Derek Newton to be the starting RT as well. I'm glad you posted this, it's good to hear a players opinion of a rookie and I like positive news regarding our O-line. I'm hoping Brooks gets the majority of the snaps in Sundays game with New England due to Jones getting tossed around by Wilfork a month ago. This might be wishful thinking but with Brooks in the lineup I expect a better running game out of Foster.


Jones had the brains and in a few years might prove to be the next Chris Myers (undersized but it doesn't show) but right now he is getting tossed around like a rag doll consistently. I cringed watching him against Wilfork and Suh.


To be fair, he wasn't brought in to be a starting guard. But with Caldwell being made of glass, he was the best option with Brooks still adjusting to nfl caliber opponents that he didnt face in the MAC where Jones played in the best conference in the college (stab at Apollo) and was more ready. He's the heir apparent to Myers and will be a more than capable swing guard.
_________________
^Kempes on the sick sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
treece300e


Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 381
Location: Nampa, ID
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to hear this for two reasons: 1.) Any good news about our team, especially on the right side of the o-line makes me happy since it's paramount that our ground game is effective. 2.) I was very high on Brooks at the time of the draft; freakishly athletic for a big guy. I was hoping he'd be plug and play at the RG position, but that didn't happen. It does seem like there's a one to two year learning curve for the ZBS. He's looked a lot better in games I've watched lately, manhandling the D-line at times, but still has a propensity to miss a few blocks which results in a loss. If he can clean that up, which is mostly all in his head, I think he'll be a beast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wolf6151


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 2759
Location: Pearland, Texas
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 starting O-line:

LT-Duane Brown
LG-Wade Smith
C-Chris Myers
RG-Brandon Brooks
RT-Derek Newton

OG/C depth-Ben Jones
OT/OG depth-Andrew Gardner
Swing OT depth-2013 draft pick Dallas Thomas, Kyle Long, Ricky Wagner, Xavier Nixon, etc...
OG depth-2013 draft pick Gabe Jackson, Alvin Bailey, Braden Hansen, etc... (This guy will be Wade Smith's replacement in 2014)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4237
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks, who came into camp at 355 and was called out by Kub finished the season around 335. He now supposedly is down to 325 and says he feels great and that he hasnt lost any strength. From what i've read he had a diet consisting of fast food all throughout college. Him staying around 325 should do wonders for his stamina, especially since he's pegged to take over the RG position full time this year. I'm excited to see his continued development!
_________________
^Kempes on the sick sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pastor Dillon


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 7463
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Brooks, who came into camp at 355 and was called out by Kub finished the season around 335. He now supposedly is down to 325 and says he feels great and that he hasnt lost any strength. From what i've read he had a diet consisting of fast food all throughout college. Him staying around 325 should do wonders for his stamina, especially since he's pegged to take over the RG position full time this year. I'm excited to see his continued development!


i wouldnt pencil him the starter over Ben Jones. Jones was starting towards the end of the season and Kubiak is a very loyal guy....Having said that it will be a battle between the two and i expect they split the time again and Ben Jone probably moves to C or LG if there are any injuries

its actually nice to have young talent at the guard position, and we did invest a 3rd and 4th round picks there last year, so the plan has to be to eventually have them both starting
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wolf6151


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 2759
Location: Pearland, Texas
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Brooks, who came into camp at 355 and was called out by Kub finished the season around 335. He now supposedly is down to 325 and says he feels great and that he hasnt lost any strength. From what i've read he had a diet consisting of fast food all throughout college. Him staying around 325 should do wonders for his stamina, especially since he's pegged to take over the RG position full time this year. I'm excited to see his continued development!


i wouldnt pencil him the starter over Ben Jones. Jones was starting towards the end of the season and Kubiak is a very loyal guy....Having said that it will be a battle between the two and i expect they split the time again and Ben Jone probably moves to C or LG if there are any injuries

its actually nice to have young talent at the guard position, and we did invest a 3rd and 4th round picks there last year, so the plan has to be to eventually have them both starting



I saw this same story posted on another site and it's very good to hear. I fully expect Brooks to be the starter at RG next season with Ben Jones as the primary backup at all the interior O-line positions. I also think we'll draft an OG in the 3rd-5th rounds to be a backup to Wade Smith and rotate at LG with him next season and then replace Smith in 2014.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group