Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3 Dark Horse selections for the 15th pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLOODx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: 3 Dark Horse selections for the 15th pick. Reply with quote

First of all, I got bored. I figured we don't have many threads in this forum, so instead of putting it into the off season thread I made a separate one. The following players are not my predictions, or favorites to be selected 15th, and all of them would probably be considered reaches at 15. I can't predict a trade back, but if we were to use a first round pick on one of these players, I'd hope that it would be after we moved back. I am not totally educated on these players. I watched a few of their games this season, and I've been forced to resort to film on YouTube. The following guys are in no particular order:

1. Xavier Rhodes [CB; Florida State]
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

(via WalterFootball.com)
We all know Spags covets big, man coverage corners. Assuming he keeps his job, he may look to add another Seminole opposite Patrick Robinson. At 6'2 and 215 lbs, Rhodes has tremendous size for a CB. He has the ability to jam smaller WRs at the line of scrimmage, which makes up for his lack of speed. For a corner his willingness and ability to tackle is exceptional. Johnny Patrick really regressed this season, and can't seem to stay healthy. You can never have enough depth at Corner. Rhodes has the ability to make the transition over to FS at the next level. After the pitiful season Malcolm Jenkins had last year I would not be opposed to drafting his possible replacement.

2. Matt Elam [S; Florida]
Height: 5-10. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

(via WalterFootball.com)
I can't name one Saints player on the defensive side of the ball that opposing teams fear. Elam has to be accounted for on every play. He's a big hitter that plays with great instincts. Although, he may not be as good as Harper down near the line of scrimmage he can still hold his own. Not to mention, he's shown much better coverage skills. If you go back and watch the film against LSU this guy was all over the place wreaking havoc. I've got to admit, even as an LSU fan, Elam is of my favorite players in college football.

3. Kawann Short [DT; Purdue]
Height: 6-3. Weight: 310.
Projected 40 Time: 5.05.
Projected Round (2013): 1

(via WalterFootball.com)
The Saints lack depth at the DT position. Sedrick Ellis is worthless, and so far Bunkley has been a disappointment. Tom Johnson has been serviceable, and Akiem Hicks looks like a future stud. The Saints need another playmaker on the inside of their D-Line. Kawann Short has the ability to push the pocket and disrupt plays in the backfield. In 2011, Short totaled 54 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, and a forced fumble. This past season Short recorded 42 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, six sacks, four PBUs, four blocked kicks, two fumbles recovered and one forced fumble while battling an ankle injury.

Honorable Mention- Barrett Jones [OL; Alabama]

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 Dark Horse selections for the 15th pick. Reply with quote

I like Rhodes but not at 15... he would def be a target if the Saints were able to land a trade partner and move back to say late 20's.

Matt Elam has been one of my favorites in this class and I do believe he's a top 20 pick and I would be elated with his selection because it would b]mean the Saints actknowledge that the entire defense lacks playmakers.

SHort has been on my radar for a while (I believe I made a post about him a while back) but he's another I feel would be a reach at 15 but a steal say between 30-40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 Dark Horse selections for the 15th pick. Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
I like Rhodes but not at 15... he would def be a target if the Saints were able to land a trade partner and move back to say late 20's.

Matt Elam has been one of my favorites in this class and I do believe he's a top 20 pick and I would be elated with his selection because it would b]mean the Saints actknowledge that the entire defense lacks playmakers.

SHort has been on my radar for a while (I believe I made a post about him a while back) but he's another I feel would be a reach at 15 but a steal say between 30-40.

Elam is definitely someone I wouldn't mind taking at 15. I agree the other two would be a reach at 15.

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 Dark Horse selections for the 15th pick. Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:

Elam is definitely someone I wouldn't mind taking at 15. I agree the other two would be a reach at 15.

Agreed,

In Elam I see a young Brian Dawkins with more ball skills... I also like Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson a lot too.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 Dark Horse selections for the 15th pick. Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:

Agreed,

In Elam I see a young Brian Dawkins with more ball skills... I also like Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson a lot too.

I'd have Jefferson as the second Safety. Not sure why Vaccaro is shooting up boards, I'm not impressed.

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 Dark Horse selections for the 15th pick. Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd have Jefferson as the second Safety. Not sure why Vaccaro is shooting up boards, I'm not impressed

Completely agree...

Elam
Jefferson

Clearly top two, Reid of LSU and Williams of Georgia are two physical players I think could be special in the right scheme. Im not sold on Vaccaro at all!

FLOODx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Reid is strictly a SS at the next level to me. Has all the tools, just needs to go to the right team.

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Yeah, Reid is strictly a SS at the next level to me. Has all the tools, just needs to go to the right team.

agreed,

I know Jenkins wont be going anywhere, but Reid would be a solid replacement for Harper at SS.

I'd love to see the saints trade back, get a 2nd rounder and land a pair like Reid and Rhodes.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still need a pass rusher though Crying or Very sad

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Still need a pass rusher though Crying or Very sad

True but I really believe Galette could be a 10+ sack guy as a fulltime starter. Some will say i'm nuts but the guy has posted 5+ in the last two seasons while playing second fiddle to Will Smith. I could see Galette getting around 10 per year.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Galette, but I see him more of a rotational guy that can come in different packages.

Adopt-a-Saint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: