Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RG3 to undergo full knee reconstruction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
Is there a doctor in the house .. ?? What does "direct repair" mean exactly..Also , says he had a "re-do" of the ACL 2009 surgery .. a "re-do"..?? What does that mean ? a fix up , a complete do over .. aaarrgghh..

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/32064/RGII-expected-to-be-ready-for-2013-season--doctor-says/Default.aspx

Think of a ligament like a string of taffy. If you pull it, it will stay stretched and loose.

So if he's re-doing the knee, what this means is that he's removing the graft from both ends where its attached and placing a new one on.

In some surgeries where you don't do a complete re-do, the tear is near to one side and you can keep the same ligament but simply pull it slightly and attach it. Again, think of a 7 inch long taffy. Cut 1/2 off the end of the taffy. Now pull it slightly to make up that 1/2 inch. In fact, the ligament is better than taffy (just using taffy as a visual aid) in that if it tears near one of the anchor points, the resulting surgery will actually make the knee tighter (even as it causes more bruising,etc... due to the increase invasiveness on the knee and more metal to anchor the one point. The key is being able to stretch the ligament just enough to get to the anchor point without weakening it. Otherwise they have to do a complete replacement of the ligament.

Hopefully this makes sense to you. I know it does in my mind but I'm rushing right now and wanted to get this out to explain it somewhat.

oK,,kinda get that -- so you think they "re-used" the existing ACL ( which was the patella tendon from 2009 ) just "tightened it up" ??
rizzy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
Is there a doctor in the house .. ?? What does "direct repair" mean exactly..Also , says he had a "re-do" of the ACL 2009 surgery .. a "re-do"..?? What does that mean ? a fix up , a complete do over .. aaarrgghh..

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/32064/RGII-expected-to-be-ready-for-2013-season--doctor-says/Default.aspx

Think of a ligament like a string of taffy. If you pull it, it will stay stretched and loose.

So if he's re-doing the knee, what this means is that he's removing the graft from both ends where its attached and placing a new one on.

In some surgeries where you don't do a complete re-do, the tear is near to one side and you can keep the same ligament but simply pull it slightly and attach it. Again, think of a 7 inch long taffy. Cut 1/2 off the end of the taffy. Now pull it slightly to make up that 1/2 inch. In fact, the ligament is better than taffy (just using taffy as a visual aid) in that if it tears near one of the anchor points, the resulting surgery will actually make the knee tighter (even as it causes more bruising,etc... due to the increase invasiveness on the knee and more metal to anchor the one point. The key is being able to stretch the ligament just enough to get to the anchor point without weakening it. Otherwise they have to do a complete replacement of the ligament.

Hopefully this makes sense to you. I know it does in my mind but I'm rushing right now and wanted to get this out to explain it somewhat.

oK,,kinda get that -- so you think they "re-used" the existing ACL ( which was the patella tendon from 2009 ) just "tightened it up" ??

They are usuing the petella from his left knee the one from 2009 is what tore.
NHL-Capitals
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Hennie of NBC 4 just pointed out the way Dr James Andrews' statement was carefully worded. He said rg3 will be back for the 2013 season, he didn't say the beginning if the 2013 season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brian23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently when RGIII got the original ACL fixed, it wasn't meant for long term strength. It was meant to return fast, Andrews redid it wholly to help support long term strength.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Apparently when RGIII got the original ACL fixed, it wasn't meant for long term strength. It was meant to return fast, Andrews redid it wholly to help support long term strength.
thanks Brian, in was wondering about that because someone was trying to contact the doctor who did the first surgery about how he did it but they couldn't get a hold of him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Blknite01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
did you read Shanahan and rg3's lips as Shanahan helped him off the field?

Shanahan said: "I should have taken you out sooner"

Rg3 said: "it's not your fault coach, it's not your fault."

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

At least we don't have to worry about any resentment.
Slateman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will sound weird, but I'm completely okay with him missing the majority of next season. I'm treating this like Strasburg's rehab comeback in 2010.

Play Cousins. If he's shows promise, you have a trade chip. If he sucks, at least you know. Let RG3 get as healthy as possible. He comes back the last four weeks for 4 meaningless games, gets back in to the groove, gets confidence in the knee, and be ready for the 2014 season. We'll be out of cap purgatory and will have a second rounder and Cousins that we can trade to move up and get someone in the first if we need him.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Will sound weird, but I'm completely okay with him missing the majority of next season. I'm treating this like Strasburg's rehab comeback in 2010.

Play Cousins. If he's shows promise, you have a trade chip. If he sucks, at least you know. Let RG3 get as healthy as possible. He comes back the last four weeks for 4 meaningless games, gets back in to the groove, gets confidence in the knee, and be ready for the 2014 season. We'll be out of cap purgatory and will have a second rounder and Cousins that we can trade to move up and get someone in the first if we need him.

Obviously we'll all like to have the same RGIII we drafted --as such a HIGH price,,but I like your scenerio.. ,,except for those "meaningless" games.. I still have hopes to win with K C .. Wink
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article explains a bit more about the surgery. That term I previously quoted "Direct Repair" of the LCL apparently means it was stitched back together and didn't invovled a graft.. This is a big point -- makes rehab easier.
The bad news is a second ACL surgery doesn't bode well.
If I had to bet-- RGIII will NOT have a long career .. Crying or Very sad

http://washingtonexaminer.com/six-to-eight-months-is-best-case-scenario-for-redskins-rg3/article/2518105
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:

i totally agree with this but I also want to bring up something I heard this morning on the junkies 106.7 the fan from one of ther doctor friends and then a caller in that stayed in the same place that Rg3 stayed at when they both were at Baylor after rg3's 09 knee injury.

1st the doctor said rg3 won't have the same explosion that he had before this injury, which doesn't concern me much because I'd like to see him become less and less of a running qb anyways.

2nd the guy who went to school with rg3 at Baylor said after rg3 tore his acl that he saw rg3 dragging tires attached to chains in the parking lot a few months after his surgery so not to worry he will go through rehab as hard as AD and make it back. He also said he noticed that rg3 did not have the same cutting abilities when he came back from the acl injury at Baylor. The caller said he could still run fast straight ahead but he didn't have the same cuts that he had where he used to break down defenders and make them miss in the open field.

Just things to look out for from rg3 in the future as he continues to mold himself into a more polished qb.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
This article explains a bit more about the surgery. That term I previously quoted "Direct Repair" of the LCL apparently means it was stitched back together and didn't invovled a graft.. This is a big point -- makes rehab easier.
The bad news is a second ACL surgery doesn't bode well.
If I had to bet-- RGIII will NOT have a long career .. Crying or Very sad

http://washingtonexaminer.com/six-to-eight-months-is-best-case-scenario-for-redskins-rg3/article/2518105
another point is that the LCL is a hard injury to come back from, it's harder than the MCL to rehab. That's why some reports say it will be a year and not the 6 to 8 months that some are reporting and that AD was able to pull of.

I hope at the least he PUP'd as I said before. I don't want to see him in the preseason at all and not playing till he truly is 100%.
mike23md

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:

Only problem with this is giving St. Louis our pick int he first. Would love to make the playoffs again in order to make their first round pick as low as possible.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:

Only problem with this is giving St. Louis our pick int he first. Would love to make the playoffs again in order to make their first round pick as low as possible.

That da*mn cap penalty is a bigger issue.. Twisted Evil
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:

That da*mn cap penalty is a bigger issue.. Twisted Evil
Yeah and I heard on the radio there is no way we are winning that case back because Dougherty ruled against us and his cases rarely get overturned.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://redskins.espn980.com/news/item/819-doctor-optimistic-after-redskins-rg3-knee-surgery
Quote:

University of Maryland head team physician Craig Bennett said football players typically need seven to 11 months to return from a second ACL reconstruction, but that it often takes up to a year for the ligament to be fully healed.

"Typically your first season back from an ACL reconstruction, there's a tendency to have some struggles from time to time," Bennett said.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: