Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Mock Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64287
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:
I believe his last name is Nix...
The big NT for Notre Dame?
I think he wears #9.

Does anyone know much about him?
I've only seen ND three times this year, but he was probably the only bright spot (outside of Davaris Daniels) in the National Championship game.
he's a junior so he may consider coming out, all year I thought he was aSophomore Confused Embarassed Laughing

I watch a lot of college football and I know he was the teams most impressive DL who was mainly responsible for keeping Te'o clean from blockers. He did an amazing job all year and as you said in the championship game. Notre Dame is one of the country's best run D, they only allowed 92.42 yards per game and two rushing touchdowns till the championship game. Brian Kelly said Nix will go back to school but I haven't heard Nix say anything yet.

NFL draft scout has him as the 2nd rated DT if he chose to come out so he will be a 1st round pick, possibly top 10. If he's going to be that high, I really can't imagine him going back to school. The guy is good at every facet of the game in a lot of ways he reminds me of Vince Wilfork, a huge space eating DT that moves well and will command double teams in the run game and double teams when he's rushing the passer.

On the year Nix had 45 tackles, including five and a half for loss and two sacks.


Thanks!
I appreciate it.
no problem
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64287
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-safeties/

A lot of good FA safeties.

Byrd is the best. I think buffalo will throw the book at him to keep him
Kenny Phillips, William Moore, Dashon Goldson, Jim Leonard, and Chris Clemons would all be good additions.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-cornerbacks/

Judging by their ratings I'd love to get Chris Houston, but I doubt Detroit will let him walk.

If Pittsburgh is intent on keeping most of their veterans like Harrison, Taylor, Polumalu and Clark, Keenan Lewis will be available because they won't be able to afford him. He's also in the positive in the rating system but not as high as Houston.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-defensive-interior/

Judging by these stats, we have to get Chris Baker more playing time. He's a solid interior DL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-offensive-tackles/

Better to sign Ryan Harris than to keep Brown or Polumbus as our starting RT. By their stats, Polumbus was horrible and shouldn't be starting.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 7914
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-safeties/

A lot of good FA safeties.

Byrd is the best. I think buffalo will throw the book at him to keep him
Kenny Phillips, William Moore, Dashon Goldson, Jim Leonard, and Chris Clemons would all be good additions.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-cornerbacks/

Judging by their ratings I'd love to get Chris Houston, but I doubt Detroit will let him walk.



If Pittsburgh is intent on keeping most of their veterans like Harrison, Taylor, Polumalu and Clark, Keenan Lewis will be available because they won't be able to afford him. He's also in the positive in the rating system but not as high as Houston.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-defensive-interior/

Judging by these stats, we have to get Chris Baker more playing time. He's a solid interior DL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-offensive-tackles/

Better to sign Ryan Harris than to keep Brown or Polumbus as our starting RT. By their stats, Polumbus was horrible and shouldn't be starting.


Not sure if you remember, but the Bills had begun talks with Byrd.

Keenan Lewis would be a good addition but I still think we add someone that does not get injured like Meriweather.

Kenny Phillips cannot stay on the field. He has so many knee injuries that keeps him out of games. Would stay away from him.

If Dashon Goldson is not retained, he is going to ask for a lot of money as he will be the best S in the market, if Byrd is resigned.

I don't see Williams Moore being let go. Falcons love him too much.

Jim Leonard is terrible. Reed Doughty is better than he is.

Chris Clemons would be a nice add, and with the amount of picks that the Dolphins have, they could let him walk if he is too expensive. But the Dolphins may throw some money at him as they would need the draft picks to fill a lot of holes to be successful.

The Lions need to address the secondary big time in this off season as Chris Houston is the only player they have. Delmas cannot stay healthy and Don Carey is not a starter in the NFL. Drayton Florence has been in the league 10 years and they need some youth opposite Houston. I agree I don't see him walking away from Detroit.

I would be weary about signing Ryan Harris. That would leave a draft pick open for other places like CB depth, or WR. Brown is all but gone. He has not had a complete season since he has been here.

One thing to be aware of Ryan Harris is that he has not played a complete season. He is not a natural knee bender and tends to play too tall, losing leverage in his blocks, and lacks the natural bulk and power to engulf opponents.
_________________

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64287
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-safeties/

A lot of good FA safeties.

Byrd is the best. I think buffalo will throw the book at him to keep him
Kenny Phillips, William Moore, Dashon Goldson, Jim Leonard, and Chris Clemons would all be good additions.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-cornerbacks/

Judging by their ratings I'd love to get Chris Houston, but I doubt Detroit will let him walk.



If Pittsburgh is intent on keeping most of their veterans like Harrison, Taylor, Polumalu and Clark, Keenan Lewis will be available because they won't be able to afford him. He's also in the positive in the rating system but not as high as Houston.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-defensive-interior/

Judging by these stats, we have to get Chris Baker more playing time. He's a solid interior DL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-offensive-tackles/

Better to sign Ryan Harris than to keep Brown or Polumbus as our starting RT. By their stats, Polumbus was horrible and shouldn't be starting.


Not sure if you remember, but the Bills had begun talks with Byrd.
that is correct

Quote:
Keenan Lewis would be a good addition but I still think we add someone that does not get injured like Meriweather.
meriweather got injured last year, so did many of our starters we need. He's a low risk high reward, he should be back but also we need to bring in other safeties to compete with him in FA and draft.

Quote:
Kenny Phillips cannot stay on the field. He has so many knee injuries that keeps him out of games. Would stay away from him.
agreed, unless he's really cheap. I'd still draft someone though
Quote:
If Dashon Goldson is not retained, he is going to ask for a lot of money as he will be the best S in the market, if Byrd is resigned.
definitely

Quote:
I don't see Williams Moore being let go. Falcons love him too much.
definitely

Quote:
Jim Leonard is terrible. Reed Doughty is better than he is.
based off of what? He's always been a solid safety. He's opportunistic, makes plays on the ball well. Is a solid tackler and he is a good returner and great special teams player.

Quote:
Chris Clemons would be a nice add, and with the amount of picks that the Dolphins have, they could let him walk if he is too expensive. But the Dolphins may throw some money at him as they would need the draft picks to fill a lot of holes to be successful.
agree again Cool

The Lions need to address the secondary big time in this off season as Chris Houston is the only player they have. Delmas cannot stay healthy and Don Carey is not a starter in the NFL. Drayton Florence has been in the league 10 years and they need some youth opposite Houston. I agree I don't see him walking away from Detroit.

Quote:
I would be weary about signing Ryan Harris. That would leave a draft pick open for other places like CB depth, or WR. Brown is all but gone. He has not had a complete season since he has been here.

One thing to be aware of Ryan Harris is that he has not played a complete season. He is not a natural knee bender and tends to play too tall, losing leverage in his blocks, and lacks the natural bulk and power to engulf opponents.
i agree with this but Harris is an upgrade over Polumbus and is great in the zbs, that's what we need. What I'd do is sign Harris, Re-sign Polumbus and have those 2 compete with Compton and a rookie draft pick in the mid rounds for the starting RT position. The others will be back ups and one of Polumbus or Harris won't make the team.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 20295
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to consider: who was the best free agent secondary signing who was considered the top of the market? As in, player moved from team A team B (not a guy who re-signed with his own team).

I'm curious because I cannot think of someone who was the class of the market, and panned out.

Brandon Flowers might qualify I suppose. Carlos Rogers doesn't since he was a reclamation project that panned out for San Francisco.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dashing


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 4094
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need real starters on the 3-4 as eveident all season long our 3-4 DL is not that good nor can pass rush. Cofield is a hard worker but is not a NT while jenkins had one decent game in against the browns and bowen was just a shadow.

I missed carriker but he wadnt that good either i knoq people will bash me but if seymour or cullen jenkins are free agents you should sign and explore therr value because although they are older they have 2 -3 good years which is good enoigh in a redskins potential sb year.

Idc what it takes we need to make some smart moves and we do lack vet 3-4 players to help i mean imo jay ratliff might be released by dallas and he is a beast at the NT position.

If our DL looked like this

LE-Cofield
NT-Ratliff
RE- Seymour

With carriker-bowrn-baker- as the back ups than our DL would really upgrade things. I know people want youth but we are already young but our D needs pieces and these are moves to be considered i mean think about it we won 7 straight with a pathetic D so this should be the time to push more.

Idk about cb i mean talib is my choice but again to me the DL really needs to upgrade.
_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXTNES_L3s0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJ8_uNMM_I&list=LLRM2s0GoIPWV7foTBLfFMRw&feature=mh_lolz
^^^^I like to I like to I like to ^_^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 20295
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
We need real starters on the 3-4 as eveident all season long our 3-4 DL is not that good nor can pass rush. Cofield is a hard worker but is not a NT while jenkins had one decent game in against the browns and bowen was just a shadow.


Generally speaking, your 3-4 DL isn't there to pass rush (J.J. Watt notwithstanding). They're there to eat up the blockers to free up the linebackers to make the tackles.

Quote:
I missed carriker but he wadnt that good either i knoq people will bash me but if seymour or cullen jenkins are free agents you should sign and explore therr value because although they are older they have 2 -3 good years which is good enoigh in a redskins potential sb year.


Seymour's coming off IR and will be nearly 34. Jenkins just turned 32, and I believe he was released by the Packers because he didn't fit in as a 3-4 down lineman.

I disagree with you on Carriker not being good as a 3-4 end. I also don't think adding a guy who hasn't played a 3-4 end in five years is going to magically make our defensive line better.

Quote:
Idc what it takes we need to make some smart moves and we do lack vet 3-4 players to help i mean imo jay ratliff might be released by dallas and he is a beast at the NT position.


Dallas' 3-4 and ours are two different beasties. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but ours is a two-gap system whereas Dallas has run a one-gap system (which Ratliff has benefited from).

Quote:
If our DL looked like this

LE-Cofield
NT-Ratliff
RE- Seymour

With carriker-bowrn-baker- as the back ups than our DL would really upgrade things. I know people want youth but we are already young but our D needs pieces and these are moves to be considered i mean think about it we won 7 straight with a pathetic D so this should be the time to push more.


So you would take fourth and seventh largest contract players and put them on the bench, sign two more guys (one in Ratliff who would conceivably cost the same as Carriker) and toss Jenkins off the raft.

Even though, most of those parts that you want to discard were able to help us win seven straight.

I'm a bit confused.

Quote:
Idk about cb i mean talib is my choice but again to me the DL really needs to upgrade.


Can someone explain to me this fascination with signing big name free agents? Haven't we done this too many times in the past twelve years, and when we're finally building this team properly and won the division, we want to slip back into our old habits?! Why?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bowilson11


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 108
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First here's my mock Draft:

2nd - Desmond Trufant CB or Phillip Thomas S (whoever's available)
3rd - Robert Alford CB (can play DB and return kicks...goodbye Banks)
4th - Chris Haprer WR (good hands and route runner)
5th - Nico Johnson ILB (played at Alabama...enough said)
5th - Jonathan Cyprien DB (loved his Senior Bowl performance)
6th - Mike Willaims TE (also liked his Senior Bowl)
7th - Ray Ray Armstrong S (low risk/high reward pick)

I say we use whatever extra money we have available this off season and focus on the Offensive Line. Priority number 1 is finding a serviceable RT that fits our scheme. Then we need to add some depth across to the OL. I didn't draft another RB because I think Helu will be able to return from his injuries along with Royster gives us a good balance there. My main reason for drafting secondary position is because it's definitely our weakness and why go out and play some high priced free agent when we have the opportunity to develop our own young players and have them around for a long time. In what's becoming a pass happy league you can never have too many DBs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 15069
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Woz. Lets not sign ANY big name FA's.

1.) We have ZIPPY CAP SPACE!!
2.) They will require too much money
3.) Signing top of the market, big name FA's rarely works out for a team that has a alot of holes to fill (which is what this team is right now). It only works if you're stacked everywhere but that one position (we're not).
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 7914
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowilson11 wrote:
First here's my mock Draft:


Quote:
2nd - Desmond Trufant CB or Phillip Thomas S (whoever's available)


The way its looking now, neither will be available. Trufant was really good at the Senior Bowl and Phillip Thomas may go in the first round because of his speed and ability to play the ball.

Quote:
3rd - Robert Alford CB (can play DB and return kicks...goodbye Banks)


So if we happened to land Trufant, that would leave us with 2 CB's picked in the first two picks of the draft. Thats not good. And we would still have Hall, Wilson, Crawford. Alford had a average week at the Senior Bowl but people are falling in love with him cause of his kick return.

Have to see how the combine goes.

Quote:
4th - Chris Haprer WR (good hands and route runner)

His hands are marginal although he does do well fighting off defenders with his frame to catch the ball. I think he goes later than the 4th. He has a hard time getting seperation from CB's and is not very good at coming out of breaks. His double move is very predictable and he doesnt explode past the CB. He is tough, but he has work to do. Still not a bad option, but I dont see it here in the 4th.


Quote:
5th - Nico Johnson ILB (played at Alabama...enough said)


Just because he played at Alabama, doesnt really mean anything. Nico Johnson had an up and down year and really didnt shine on that defense like a lot of people thought he would. He doesnt shed blocks well and plays reactively instead of instinctively. He is slow to come out of his stance and his hips are not very fluid in changing direction. Does really well in short yardage situations, but in normal yardage situations he can be caught out of position or blocked out of the play. 5th round can be an ideal spot for him, but because he played at Alabama, he will go a bit higher, IMO.

Quote:
5th - Jonathan Cyprien DB (loved his Senior Bowl performance)


Cyprien is a talented player but watching him against Western Kentucky, he was getting manhandled by TE's and it almost seemed as though FIU played in a 46 defense. Cyprien was always in the box. Which would make me question his pass coverage. He doesnt tackle well and when he does, its usually a high tackle trying to muscle the receiver down and he ends up missing.

He had a good Senior Week, but anybody can put it together for a week, when they need to. He could be a solid back up, but IMO, I dont take him here when we could use more OT depth.


Quote:
6th - Mike Willaims TE (also liked his Senior Bowl)


I really like Mike Williams. He is a big TE, but he has some wheels on him and can catch the football. I am not sure how Niles Paul is going to fit into the grand scheme of things but Mike Williams would be a viable replacement.


Quote:
7th - Ray Ray Armstrong S (low risk/high reward pick)


I am sorry, but I am in favor of taking a big pass on this kid. Head is not in the right place and I don't think that Shanahan would want to deal with a guy like this. Reminds me of Taylor Mays..but with out the lights out speed. To big for his own good for the safety position Doesn't wrap up good, looks for the big hit. Lacks pure football instincts. in two years of football only 3 interceptions and 100 tackles both assisted and non assisted.

Quote:
I say we use whatever extra money we have available this off season and focus on the Offensive Line. Priority number 1 is finding a serviceable RT that fits our scheme. Then we need to add some depth across to the OL. I didn't draft another RB because I think Helu will be able to return from his injuries along with Royster gives us a good balance there. My main reason for drafting secondary position is because it's definitely our weakness and why go out and play some high priced free agent when we have the opportunity to develop our own young players and have them around for a long time. In what's becoming a pass happy league you can never have too many DBs.


So in essence you have us taking 4 secondary players. Free Agency IMO, should be used for depth of the trenches and grabbing that 1 or 2 playmakers. There is so much talent in the draft for the OL that with our picks we could find a solid RT replacement for Polumbus. But I wouldnt care if Polumbus starts this year. He played very well last year.

Overall this is not bad, I see what you are trying to get at, but ultimately, our biggest need is FS and I think that we are going to use that 2nd round pick on a S based on the fact that there are a lot of top end talented S's in this class. It is very deep at S. Just cannot see any team taking 4 secondary players in the draft. Doesnt really make sense.

But don't be surprised to see us pick up a Kenjon Barner or Andre Ellington as a scat back because of Helu's injury and to give Morris some breaks in the game when we could use more speed and a better pass catching option out of the backfield.
_________________

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bowilson11


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 108
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
bowilson11 wrote:
First here's my mock Draft:


Quote:
2nd - Desmond Trufant CB or Phillip Thomas S (whoever's available)


The way its looking now, neither will be available. Trufant was really good at the Senior Bowl and Phillip Thomas may go in the first round because of his speed and ability to play the ball.

Quote:
3rd - Robert Alford CB (can play DB and return kicks...goodbye Banks)


So if we happened to land Trufant, that would leave us with 2 CB's picked in the first two picks of the draft. Thats not good. And we would still have Hall, Wilson, Crawford. Alford had a average week at the Senior Bowl but people are falling in love with him cause of his kick return.
Have to see how the combine goes.

Quote:
4th - Chris Haprer WR (good hands and route runner)

His hands are marginal although he does do well fighting off defenders with his frame to catch the ball. I think he goes later than the 4th. He has a hard time getting seperation from CB's and is not very good at coming out of breaks. His double move is very predictable and he doesnt explode past the CB. He is tough, but he has work to do. Still not a bad option, but I dont see it here in the 4th.


Quote:
5th - Nico Johnson ILB (played at Alabama...enough said)


Just because he played at Alabama, doesnt really mean anything. Nico Johnson had an up and down year and really didnt shine on that defense like a lot of people thought he would. He doesnt shed blocks well and plays reactively instead of instinctively. He is slow to come out of his stance and his hips are not very fluid in changing direction. Does really well in short yardage situations, but in normal yardage situations he can be caught out of position or blocked out of the play. 5th round can be an ideal spot for him, but because he played at Alabama, he will go a bit higher, IMO.

Quote:
5th - Jonathan Cyprien DB (loved his Senior Bowl performance)


Cyprien is a talented player but watching him against Western Kentucky, he was getting manhandled by TE's and it almost seemed as though FIU played in a 46 defense. Cyprien was always in the box. Which would make me question his pass coverage. He doesnt tackle well and when he does, its usually a high tackle trying to muscle the receiver down and he ends up missing.

He had a good Senior Week, but anybody can put it together for a week, when they need to. He could be a solid back up, but IMO, I dont take him here when we could use more OT depth.


Quote:
6th - Mike Willaims TE (also liked his Senior Bowl)


I really like Mike Williams. He is a big TE, but he has some wheels on him and can catch the football. I am not sure how Niles Paul is going to fit into the grand scheme of things but Mike Williams would be a viable replacement.


Quote:
7th - Ray Ray Armstrong S (low risk/high reward pick)


I am sorry, but I am in favor of taking a big pass on this kid. Head is not in the right place and I don't think that Shanahan would want to deal with a guy like this. Reminds me of Taylor Mays..but with out the lights out speed. To big for his own good for the safety position Doesn't wrap up good, looks for the big hit. Lacks pure football instincts. in two years of football only 3 interceptions and 100 tackles both assisted and non assisted.

Quote:
I say we use whatever extra money we have available this off season and focus on the Offensive Line. Priority number 1 is finding a serviceable RT that fits our scheme. Then we need to add some depth across to the OL. I didn't draft another RB because I think Helu will be able to return from his injuries along with Royster gives us a good balance there. My main reason for drafting secondary position is because it's definitely our weakness and why go out and play some high priced free agent when we have the opportunity to develop our own young players and have them around for a long time. In what's becoming a pass happy league you can never have too many DBs.


So in essence you have us taking 4 secondary players. Free Agency IMO, should be used for depth of the trenches and grabbing that 1 or 2 playmakers. There is so much talent in the draft for the OL that with our picks we could find a solid RT replacement for Polumbus. But I wouldnt care if Polumbus starts this year. He played very well last year.

Overall this is not bad, I see what you are trying to get at, but ultimately, our biggest need is FS and I think that we are going to use that 2nd round pick on a S based on the fact that there are a lot of top end talented S's in this class. It is very deep at S. Just cannot see any team taking 4 secondary players in the draft. Doesnt really make sense.

But don't be surprised to see us pick up a Kenjon Barner or Andre Ellington as a scat back because of Helu's injury and to give Morris some breaks in the game when we could use more speed and a better pass catching option out of the backfield.
Remember that Alford is a small school product and his performance at the Senior Bowl was on par and better than a lot of big school prospects according to scouts that attended practices. We tend to look at all players at the Division 1 level of preformance, but when a small school kid comes and plays even up with the bigtime Division 1 players lets me know that 1) he has the potential to play at a high level and 2) with some better coaching his true talent will show. I know his kick return caught a lot of attention but I also like the way he played in coverage and tackled. With his speed and Morris coaching his true potential could make him a steal in the 3rd round.

The reason why I drafted so hard in the secondary is because Hall might be a salary cap cut. Williams needs to be cut. We are average at best at both Safety positions. Whether we get Thomas or Trufant in the 2nd round, that still doesn't address the whole problem in our secondary. I like Josh Wilson, but he struggles at time and in a pass happy league you need three (3) viable CBs. I'm hoping that Chase Minnifield's recovery is successful and he gets back to 100%, then we could use the 3rd to draft on a Right Tackle. Right now, I'm looking at our needs as they stand today and Secondary is a HIGH priority.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64287
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Something to consider: who was the best free agent secondary signing who was considered the top of the market? As in, player moved from team A team B (not a guy who re-signed with his own team).

I'm curious because I cannot think of someone who was the class of the market, and panned out.

Brandon Flowers might qualify I suppose. Carlos Rogers doesn't since he was a reclamation project that panned out for San Francisco.
are we talking about in the last 20 years or so?

Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Shawn Springs, Samari Rolle, Walt Harris, Charles Woodson, Ryan Clark, Jonathan Joseph, Nate Clemens, Terrance Newman, Leigh Boden, Jim Leonhard, Aaron Glenn, Eric Allen, Albert Lewis, Daniel Manning, Brandon Carr and imo Carlos Rogers wasn't a reclamation project, he never got the just due he should of in DC. There is more but I can't think of all that.

If you want upgrades though, you have to entertain all avenues to do so.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG


Last edited by turtle28 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64287
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://httr24-7.com/blog/free-agent-safety-corey-lynch/#comment-4594

Great read here in httr24-7's blog post. He brings up FA Safety Corey Lynch and why we should sign him. At first I was like hell no because I never considered him much of a player, but go ahead read this article, httr24-7 will convince you otherwise.

Corey Lynch is definitely on my radar as a FA safety I'd like to see the redskins sign.

Quote:
# 41 S , 60′ 210 Lbs

Birth Date: 5/01/85 (27)

Birth Place: Cape Coral, FL

Experience: 5 Years

College: Appalachian State

Career:

2008- Cincinnati Bengals
2009- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2010- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2011- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2012- San Diego Chargers

Corey Lynch is a player that fits the Redskins profile and he would be an immediate upgrade to the safety position in Washington. He is a young versatile player who is looked at more as a special team player, but when given a chance played very well in the Chargers 3-4 defense. He is coming off a one year $700,000 dollar contract, so he will be cheap and affordable.

Even though Lynch is a Strong Safety, the San Diego Chargers they used him a lot as their single deep safety in cover 1 and 3 defenses. They must trust his pass coverage if they are going to move one of the best free safeties in football out of deep coverage . These screen shots are only a few examples but Lynch plays the deep middle very well. He gave up no big plays and was consistent in defending his area.

_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 7914
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Something to consider: who was the best free agent secondary signing who was considered the top of the market? As in, player moved from team A team B (not a guy who re-signed with his own team).

I'm curious because I cannot think of someone who was the class of the market, and panned out.

Brandon Flowers might qualify I suppose. Carlos Rogers doesn't since he was a reclamation project that panned out for San Francisco.


Brandon Carr
_________________

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 64287
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Dashing wrote:
We need real starters on the 3-4 as eveident all season long our 3-4 DL is not that good nor can pass rush. Cofield is a hard worker but is not a NT while jenkins had one decent game in against the browns and bowen was just a shadow.


Generally speaking, your 3-4 DL isn't there to pass rush (J.J. Watt notwithstanding). They're there to eat up the blockers to free up the linebackers to make the tackles.

Quote:
I missed carriker but he wadnt that good either i knoq people will bash me but if seymour or cullen jenkins are free agents you should sign and explore therr value because although they are older they have 2 -3 good years which is good enoigh in a redskins potential sb year.


Seymour's coming off IR and will be nearly 34. Jenkins just turned 32, and I believe he was released by the Packers because he didn't fit in as a 3-4 down lineman.

I disagree with you on Carriker not being good as a 3-4 end. I also don't think adding a guy who hasn't played a 3-4 end in five years is going to magically make our defensive line better.

Quote:
Idc what it takes we need to make some smart moves and we do lack vet 3-4 players to help i mean imo jay ratliff might be released by dallas and he is a beast at the NT position.


Dallas' 3-4 and ours are two different beasties. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but ours is a two-gap system whereas Dallas has run a one-gap system (which Ratliff has benefited from).

Quote:
If our DL looked like this

LE-Cofield
NT-Ratliff
RE- Seymour

With carriker-bowrn-baker- as the back ups than our DL would really upgrade things. I know people want youth but we are already young but our D needs pieces and these are moves to be considered i mean think about it we won 7 straight with a pathetic D so this should be the time to push more.


So you would take fourth and seventh largest contract players and put them on the bench, sign two more guys (one in Ratliff who would conceivably cost the same as Carriker) and toss Jenkins off the raft.

Even though, most of those parts that you want to discard were able to help us win seven straight.

I'm a bit confused.

Quote:
Idk about cb i mean talib is my choice but again to me the DL really needs to upgrade.


Can someone explain to me this fascination with signing big name free agents? Haven't we done this too many times in the past twelve years, and when we're finally building this team properly and won the division, we want to slip back into our old habits?! Why?
I agree with all that you said Woz and you are right Dallas runs a one gap 3-4 with Ratliff, we run a 2 gap NT. On top of that I don't want Ratliff with his off the field incident after his back up Brent had the same problem and killed their teammate. No way do I want Ratliff.

Yeah, dashing has a fascination with the biggest names and still believes in the old Dan Snyder Way in that the only way you can win is by signing all the big names and spend whatever you need to get them! Rolling Eyes

We only have a few guys like that in the forum anymore, he and Aceinthehouse.

The only thing I'd say with respect to Cullen Jenkins is that he was a Free Agent in GB, and he got offered a huge contract by the Eagles, that's why he left GB. I believe they wanted to retain him but they are smart and weren't going to overpay for a 30 year old DE. In his last season in GB he had 7 sacks from the 3-4 DE so he'd be a nice addition for the right price, meaning he's a reserve! Same with Seymour, if he's signed I see him as a reserve. Either would take Golston's spot on the roster and be rotational guys behind Bowen and Carriker with Jenkins doing that as well.

We need to focus on retaining Chris Baker at NT and getting Chris Neild healthy coming off his ACL injury because I see those two as playing more on run downs in the future at NT and Cofield being in on passing downs, getting more of a rest and possibly playing some DE.

Again, IMO signing Jenkins or Seymour isn't a bad idea but I don't think they deserve starter $ at this point in their careers. They should be viewed as reserves who may start if they play better than our starters but it isn't a given and they shouldn't get huge contracts.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group