Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Players who get "overscouted"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burfict was literally put in a situation where they shaped him up and made him who he was.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
MaclinandMCcoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaQuan Bowers wasn't overscouted. He was very average relative to what he should have been his first two years in college and exploded his junior year. He then fell because of some arthritic issue in his knee.
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the nature of the beast I suppose.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
TheKingDP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFL draft define's the legacies of NFL GM's. Their entire livelihood is staked on making the correct picks in the draft. If you pick a guy like Burfict in the 2012 draft, and he makes a complete jacka$$ of himself on the field like he did at Arizona State, shows ZERO interest in prepping for the NFL Combine (the most expensive & important job fair expo in the world), and has a "me-first" attitude, you will be viewed as a GM who took "unnecessary risks".

Most GMs are so afraid to take a risk in the NFL draft, they value stupid crap like "character" over more important things like "ability to play football". Example: Danny Watkins. It's absurd. It actually ends up getting people fired because they go 4-12 with a roster full of choir boys. I would hate for that to happen to my team.. Oh, wait.. Nevermind. It just did.
TheKingDP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaclinandMCcoy wrote:
DaQuan Bowers wasn't overscouted. He was very average relative to what he should have been his first two years in college and exploded his junior year. He then fell because of some arthritic issue in his knee.

DaQuan Bowers was the #1 prospect in high school according to pretty much every recruiting web site available to the public. He was being compared to Reggie White when he entered Clemson, and was being compared to Vernon Gholston by the time he left. His balky, arthritic knee probably cost him close to $15 million guaranteed dollars.
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my top two overscouted guys that I can think of for 2013:

Matt Barkley and TJ McDonald

both were getting first round consideration at this point last year but after a dissapointing year for USC they have both fallen. Was this just the USC hypetrain boosting their values or are they currently being overscouted?

Last edited by Hockey5djh on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
marky_b27

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a result of overscouting, Matt Barkley has gone from overrated to underrated.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
So my top two overscouted guys that I can think of for 2013:

Matt Barkley and TJ McDonald

both were getting first round consideration at this point last year but after a dissapointing year for USC they have both fallen. Was this just the USC hypetrain boosting their values or are they currently being overscouted?

I think McDonald fell into a more realistic range, where as people have 180'd on Barkley.

I do think a lot of the barkley hate is the fact that USC qbs are so bad in the NFL and I don't really see anything special in him to buck that trend. So with Barkley his stock seemed to fall with mark sanchez's bad games and then on top of that you throw in a should injury and he is non-existent.

Matts4313 wrote:
How drunk on you?
miles2626

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about David Amerson for 2013? I remember early 2013 mocks in feb/march of 2012 calling for him to be a top-5/top-10 pick? what's the story on his fall?

^props to Kiltman on the sig

Shady, Mac, 'n Jack...CAN YOU DIG IT??
birdman0069

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is truly no way to over-scout anyone.
Fans and idiots in the media are guilty of overhyping players, that's true. With today's 24/7 coverage it's bound to happen.
You can't have enough good scouts and you can't scout players enough. This is why teams use scouting services along with their own scouting dept. This is why GM's and coaches all talk about these guys until they're blue in the face.
You want to make sure others see what you see and you want to make sure you don't miss anything.
I heard Rich McKay speak when he was the GM of the Bucs. He said the organization spent over 15 million dollars on just scouting players. That may sound like a lot, that was 12 years ago.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: