Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Radical Off-Season Thought Process
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolb gets a paycut

Smith takes about $5 mil.

Not ideal, but we can do it.

2 players costing about $10 (edit left out the mil part !)

Last edited by DJ_Fka on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Next problem: You're doing nothing to try and help the QB position for 2013.

I don't expect us to do that anyway. I don't think we are really going to upgrade with any rookies this year (unless we trade up for Smith, or hit Wilson at #7) and no cost effective Free Agents are out there. Keeping Hoyer in a backup role upgrades where we were with that position at the end of 2012.

I just don't see any realistic options for us picking up a QB that will upgrade this team in 2013.

I'd like to use that 2nd round pick to address it, either through trade or with the pick itself.

So who do you take there. The only guy right now who is going to be remotely worth that pick and possibly available is Dysert who is not a 2013 prospect at QB. You might have a shot at Barkley there...might.

Also, are you really willing to trade a 2nd round pick for another QB?

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Kolb gets a paycut

Smith takes about $5 mil.

Not ideal, but we can do it.

2 players costing about $10 total.

Kolb is not going to take a paycut if we are going to sign another QB to come in and compete for his job.

Smith is not going to come in for 5M.

Good luck getting Kolbs 2013 cap hit to 5M without ruining our 2014 and 2015 cap numbers.

stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

I don't expect us to do that anyway. I don't think we are really going to upgrade with any rookies this year (unless we trade up for Smith, or hit Wilson at #7) and no cost effective Free Agents are out there. Keeping Hoyer in a backup role upgrades where we were with that position at the end of 2012.

I just don't see any realistic options for us picking up a QB that will upgrade this team in 2013.

I'd like to use that 2nd round pick to address it, either through trade or with the pick itself.

So who do you take there. The only guy right now who is going to be remotely worth that pick and possibly available is Dysert who is not a 2013 prospect at QB. You might have a shot at Barkley there...might.

Bolded: Not for a veteran (I don't see anyone worthy) but in a package to get up for a guy like Geno? Sure.

Just because we missed on Levi Brown doesn't mean I'm never taking a tackle in the top 10. You have to address each scenario on it's own individual merrit.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Bolded: Not for a veteran (I don't see anyone worthy) but in a package to get up for a guy like Geno? Sure.

Just because we missed on Levi Brown doesn't mean I'm never taking a tackle in the top 10. You have to address each scenario on it's own individual merrit.

Oh I would use that #2 in a package for Geno, I just don't see Reid letting anyone get near Geno at #1. I love Tyler, but there are issues around his head that worry everyone.

DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolb has little to no leverage

Smith has little to no leverage.

We are talking cap figures vs cash figures.

Easy done

If we have $25 mil free in cap space in your other thread, then this is a walk in the park.

Granted it might not be $10 mil, but say $14 is still doable.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
If we have $25 mil free in cap space in your other thread, then this is a walk in the park.

Huh? Currently we are $1M over the cap limit expected for the 2013 season.

The thing with Kolb is. We still have to have $11.6M of bonus to hit the cap on his current deal. We reneg an entirely new contract that hits the cap in 2013. We have to give him a 4 year deal to allow that 11.6M hit the cap our the course of four years. (3.4, 3.4, 3.4, 1.4).

stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Oh I would use that #2 in a package for Geno, I just don't see Reid letting anyone get near Geno at #1. I love Tyler, but there are issues around his head that worry everyone.

You're probably right on that but I think you owe it to the coaches and to the players and to the fans to at least try. That's kind of where my tanking comment comes from. We're not going to solve all our problems in 1 season but you've got to try. Otherwise it's a tank.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
You're probably right on that but I think you owe it to the coaches and to the players and to the fans to at least try. That's kind of where my tanking comment comes from. We're not going to solve all our problems in 1 season but you've got to try. Otherwise it's a tank.

The way I would view it is that we are looking to upgrade two positions early, one bieng a versatile pass rusher at OLB and the other being an elite guard. We are also pushing resources to enable us to best attempt to upgrade the Quarterback position in the 2014 draft.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

The way I would view it is that we are looking to upgrade two positions early, one bieng a versatile pass rusher at OLB and the other being an elite guard. We are also pushing resources to enable us to best attempt to upgrade the Quarterback position in the 2014 draft.

You don't even know who's going to be in the 2014 draft. Teddy Bridgewater's the gem and he's a true sophomore, what if he doesn't declare? Then it's all down hill. I like David Fales but multiple picks for the guy? Hell no. Same for Boyd. I don't care for Aaron Murray and McCarron's got lots of concerns. Logan Thomas is junk and wouldn't crack my top 8 in this year's class. Nevermind the fact that players do in fact regress year to year (Matt Barkley...). We don't have any idea of what 2014 will even look like a year from now. Planning for that to turn the franchise around is definitely not something I'd endorse.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind the idea if we kept Whiz but we didn't so I would rather go for the gold this year

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCarron would be ok.

Though his ceiling is much lower than some.

But he can make all the throws.

However the negative scout in me says that I would look good behind that line and with that talent around me.

Think about this, assuming Kolb could stay healthy, would he have won 2 NC at Bama with that talent? I think the answer is a resounding YES.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: