Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JPN's Island Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: JPN's Island Mock Reply with quote

The steelers offseason :
Going to be difficult to retain all these free agents with our cap situation. From what i can gather once we resign all RFA and make figured cap moves we'll have about 10 mill room, not a lot to work with with all these guys up for free agency. 

If Mendy goesfor Michael Bush type contract he's worth the signing considering all our other concerns and a very questionable depth chart at the position, which for me appears average and lackluster. Otherwise we need to seriously consider drafting a RB in either the 2nd round most likely. 

Free agents leaving:
Mike Wallace
Keenan Lewis
Ramon Foster
Max Starks 

Free agents retained: 
Larry Foote
Rashard Mendenhall
Will Allen
Doug Legursky-
Jonathan Dwyer
David Gilreath
Brandon Johnson
Steve McClendon
Isaac Redman
Emmanuel Sanders
Stevenson Sylvestor
Josh Victorian
Byron Leftwich

Veteran cuts/letgo:
Willie Colon
James Harrison - think he will be brought back at much lower contract but injuries will keep him from making opening roster.
Casey Hampton
Brett Kiesel - came on at end of the year but too much decline.
Charlie Batch
Ryan Mundy
Leonard Pope
Greg Warren
Plaxico Burress
DaMon Cromrartie-Smith
Marshall McFadden
Alameda Ta'amu
Al Woods
Justin King
Max Starks -hard to imagine we wont see him again..

New free agents signed:
Roy Miller-DT- Tampa Bay
Mike Kafka-QB-Philadelphia

2013 Draft

1. DeAndre Hopkins -WR-Clemson -6'1 -205.Hasn't announced but should. Just believe his talent will be better and his floor and ceiling are higher than most available defensive prospects. Plays like 6'3-6'4, always able to separate to the ball unlike any of our current receivers. Great hands away from body, high points and has a lot of big game experience and rises to the occasion.
2. Darius Slay-CB- Mississippi St - 6'1 -190..may end up being the better actual corner of the two Miss St prospects.
3. Joe Kruger -DE-Utah -6'7 280 - generates great push in pass rush, although he is athletic his lateral movement is a concern
4. Tony Jefferson -SS-5'11 -212 - he should fall, although it was probably a good idea to leave. His speed is more strong safety like, good tackler have concerns about long speed, start stop and change of direction quickness.
5. Vince Williams - LB- Florida St 6'1 250.. Appears to be very underrated, very good lateral quickness..sideline to sideline, good instincts, can bring it.
6. Ivory Wade-OL-Baylor 6'3-310.. Versatile, 4 year starter, plays OT/G/C
7. Zach Sudfeld -TE - Nevada -6'6 -255 - hard worker good hands goto guy
7. Emeka Onyenekwu-OLB-La.Lafeyette -6'3 250 - probably haven't heard of him but I'm sure he'll garner some attention at some point. Needs to work on moves/skills but athleticism and effort is there.

Sorry for the drab presentation.
I dont think WR is a priority but I do believe talent is. Hopkins can make a big difference and Slay should start eventually wherever he goes, very likely an upgrade for us.

I believe OLB is a high priority perhaps the biggest, just that other better available parts fall into our laps in this mock. Williams is an ILB. I would have my eye on a few tight ends available also. If we dont sign Mendy I'm a big fan of Ball and Lacy but think they both may end up in 1st or early 2nd, I like both better than Richardson last year, just me and Jim Brown I guess.
Taylor is nice in the 3rd perhaps but lacks explosiveness although so did Tampa's Martin at Boise, but like Taylor always so consistent.

...you have a forum resume?

Last edited by JustPlainNasty on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like 1st round WR.

I think w Brown, Sanders and Cotch we can add another cheap FA WR and maybe Plax.

Too many other needs IMO

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
I don't like 1st round WR.

I think w Brown, Sanders and Cotch we can add another cheap FA WR and maybe Plax.

Too many other needs IMO

What if Heath can't come back til the middle of the season? Who's going to be Big Ben's reliable target?
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mike is gone, this offense is in desperate need of playmakers. I wish that was not the case so we could simply emphasize the D with our early picks, but sadly that is the situation. So, I get the thought process and I like Hopkins. Not my first option here, but I won't argue at all.

I will admit my familiarity with many of the prospects this year is still rounding into form so, at this point, I can't comment specifically on the remainder of your names.

I will say I am not a huge proponent of either CB or DE early. With the lack of emphasis on DL penetration and CB press man coverage in this scheme I simply wouldn't expend premium picks on those spots absent a huge value dropping.

That said, I am going to be a strong advocate for RB in the 2nd/3rd. The drek we trotted out this year limited the playbook and made the OL look worse than they actually were.

Part of me says damn the torpedoes and just stock up on offensive skill positions. Give Ben the weapons he needs and just try to outscore our opponents. Let the chips on D fall where they may with later round picks on under the radar FA's. I'm not quite convinced that's the route to go yet, but maybe.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you don't like WR, neither do I really but I do like talented players that will make a difference and he would immediately. What I'm not a big fan of is project LB's drafted in the 1st round that have a high probability of failing just because we have a need.

My 2nd choice is Larry Warford -OG, then Eiffert-TE, Warmack if he falls down here and considerations for Matthews-OT, Hankins-DT, and Jordan and Maybe Thomas.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
If Mike is gone, this offense is in desperate need of playmakers. I wish that was not the case so we could simply emphasize the D with our early picks, but sadly that is the situation. So, I get the thought process and I like Hopkins. Not my first option here, but I won't argue at all.

I will admit my familiarity with many of the prospects this year is still rounding into form so, at this point, I can't comment specifically on the remainder of your names.

I will say I am not a huge proponent of either CB or DE early. With the lack of emphasis on DL penetration and CB press man coverage in this scheme I simply wouldn't expend premium picks on those spots absent a huge value dropping.

That said, I am going to be a strong advocate for RB in the 2nd/3rd. The drek we trotted out this year limited the playbook and made the OL look worse than they actually were.

Part of me says damn the torpedoes and just stock up on offensive skill positions. Give Ben the weapons he needs and just try to outscore our opponents. Let the chips on D fall where they may with later round picks on under the radar FA's. I'm not quite convinced that's the route to go yet, but maybe.

Im actually with you on that Treat and if Ball is available in the 2nd id run up to the podium. I think he is being very undervalued and could see Green Bay sprinting to the podium in the 1st. Lacy could go to Detroit in the 2nd or earlier. Giovanni is not quite what we need and both he and Austin will be very good accent pieces for some upper echelon teams late in round 1.

Id strongly consider Eiffert in 1st and Fauria in 2nd, Ertz fell in my liking but came back slightly, I see him as a 3rd round value for us. I didn't really like Toilolo coming out as i feel he could use another year to improve and improve his stock, he loses money IMO. His ceiling could be high. A player no one mentions and I value as a sneek in 3rd rounder is Mychal Rivera-Tennessee. Michael Williams is a great blocker, limited in passing but capable, 3rd-5th value. Not a fan of Dion Sims and Escobar drops way too many balls.

I like Keenan Allen a lot but feel his brother actually hindered his development with his horrible QB play. He should have a good career, terrance Williams is very good, Patterson is better after the catch. I wasn't a fan of Hunter's but he is coming more into favor with me. Hopkins to me separates himself though from this crowd with his leaping and separation ability.

turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Max Starks and Ramon Roster will be retained on the left side of the OL. James Harrison, I agree he'll be released and re-signed.

Brett Kiesel I disagree with you about. He had a solid year and I think he'll be back. He also isn't terribly expensive. Ryan Mundy, Leonard Pope, Greg Warren, DaMon Cromrartie-Smith, Marshall McFadden, Alameda Ta'amu, Al Woods and Justin King will all be retained IMO with chances to make the team. I do not see how you have that much turnover in personnel in one offseason.

I like the mock draft.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dcash4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know much about the guys in general, but i do like it.

Very big on the idea of giving our Top end quarterback another weapon - but only if it comes as the best player available. I agree with what JPN said about having a player making an impact immediately rather than a project.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna write about how the Steelers don't need a WR, but Hopkins is everything the Steelers need. The Steelers have never kept a 1st round WR pass there rookie contract. Troy Edwards, Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes I don't like that track record. If Hopkins is the pick I'd live with it, but I'd rather have Eifert.

New a little bit about Slay from watching Banks thought he got picked on but played well. Williams is the most intriguing because he's not talked about but every time I watched Xavier Rhodes. It was V. Williams name popping up every time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Warmack is available, should we take him? Do we need another 1st rd OL? Defence is a greater need but isn't it slim pickings on D this year?
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said this and will say this again.

No O-line in 1st round. Doesn't make any sense, financially at least.

Of course, those players will make everyone other and each other look so good, eventually they will be overvalued. Why draft a player in 1st round if you will lose him in future? Confused

I'm pretty much on same page as JPN. People have been saying a 1st round WR is not necessarily, while that's true but how many tall WRs who has such good separation you can find in later rounds? None. I'm skeptical only because it is our 17th pick, if we trade down I'll be more than comfortable having a 1st pick; a receiver. We don't have to like it but we does need the wide receiver more. Especially the physicality in Haley's offense.

I'm still high on Keenan Allen. Remind me a lot of Terrell Owens/Brandon Marshall minus the bonehead attitude. Of course those receivers aren't the quality of likes as fitzgerald, AJ Green, Andre Johnson, etc. but some prospects are just damn good. They can give you a good boosts, allowing Antonio Brown playing #2 where he excels.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if our first 4 rounds has offensive players. WR/TE and RB. Yes we have a good depth, but like wide receivers; no one you can really rely on consistent on every Sundays. I just pray Eddie Lacy is there in 2nd if declared! Pray
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont even care anymore.

As long as we get a player that improves our team in some way, Ill be happy.

The only positions I wouldnt dream of touching in the first round are OL, running back and 34 DE (Given how Heyward cant even get on the field, despite looking good).

Every other position Im open to.

As for Hopkins...I dont know him well enough (yet) to say anything one way or another, so Ill just bite my tongue for now. However, Id prefer to get a 6'3 and 6'5 guy, which I think Ben could work well with. Doesnt have to be early in the draft, but Id like to see it.
gatek99

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Krugers little brother is coming out for the draft this season?

Heck yes I want him. Would he play DE at 275 or would he lose a few pounds and play OLB?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I dont even care anymore.

As long as we get a player that improves our team in some way, Ill be happy.

The only positions I wouldnt dream of touching in the first round are OL, running back and 34 DE (Given how Heyward cant even get on the field, despite looking good).

Every other position Im open to.

As for Hopkins...I dont know him well enough (yet) to say anything one way or another, so Ill just bite my tongue for now. However, Id prefer to get a 6'3 and 6'5 guy, which I think Ben could work well with. Doesnt have to be early in the draft, but Id like to see it.

I'm the same...they need playmakers...I don't care where.

Do I prefer some positions later on where I think better value can be had such as ILB or OG...yea but they need guys that can change the course of a game.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krugers two brothers are coming out. He is entirely a DE prospect. He explodes into blockers and gets great push, focuses on pass rushing and needs to work on lateral awareness. Dave Kruger appears to be more technically sound but not as physically gifted. Joe has a nastiness about him. No guarantees though, could disappoint severely but a heck of project to work with in the 3rd rd. He could also see the field year one especially in passing situations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: