Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DC.com Articles: 4-3, Ryan, Changes, Keep or Cut
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
I say franchise Spencer again. Gives us insurance, in case we don't feel we have a replacement, or are unable to draft a potential replacement at DE this year. I like the flexibility of the 3-4, but it seems so difficult and expensive to get/keep a true NT and OLB. I like the idea of our best pass rushers being able to not have to worry about coverage. I hope we go 4-3.

You franchise Spencer and you're losing $12-13m in cap space - either sign him or lose him but you'd be hard pressed to franchise him and stay under the cap even with major cuts and restructured.

2012 Franchise 8.8mil
2013- 8.8 * 120% = 10.56mil.

Lamar Woodley:Contract: 6 yr(s) / $61.5mil Average Salary: 10.25 mil
Terrell Suggs:Contract: 6 yr(s) / $62.5mil Average Salary $10.4mil
Amhad Brooks:Contract: 6 yr(s) / $37mil. Average Salary: $6.166mil
Tamba Hali:Contract: 5 yr(s) / $57.5mil. Average Salary $11.5mil
D. Ware:Contract: 7 yr(s) / $79mil. Average Salary $11.285mil
Avg = (49.601/5) = 9.92mil per year.

Unless we can get a deal close to Brooks, we are averaging almost the franchise number. My guess would be he signs for around 8mil/year. At that cost, I'd rather keep him one more year, and eat 2mil in cap space, than dole out that kind of contract to an inconsistent player.

I'm not convinced that Spencer would be amenable to that since he'd be making less next year than he did this year. It would be more likely that he would accept a salary between last year's franchise tag number and this year's which would be roughly $9.7M for 2013.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.

Last edited by plan9misfit on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Spencer wants to remain in Dallas. Fired Roosevelt Barnes last offseason & Hired Willis & Woy Sports Group.

Interesting because Barnes represented Dez Bryant exclusively. Jordan Woy has WR Terrell Owens, DE Kenyon Coleman, DE Jason Hatcher, DL Remi Ayodele, & CB Starling Moore.

Clearly a move that indicates he wants to remain in Dallas. And what are his options coming off such a fantastic year. Does he really want to go to Indianapolis (Purdue is where he played College Ball) or a small market team? I'd remain in Dallas, but thats just me.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess this is a good spot for this.

Valid points from both the article and StephenA/Bayless in the vid

LINKY

Another article, same video

Quote:
"I didn't like the way we were playing in a lot of cases," Jones said in the taped interview that will air in its entirety Saturday night on KTVT-TV in Dallas. "I thought we could play better before the injuries, and so I factored that in. It wasn't like we had a lot of injuries out here when we played Chicago. It wasn't like we had a lot of injuries when we played Seattle. I didn't like the way we played there.

"It's not hard for me to go to those games and say what can we do to improve when we played Seattle and when we played Chicago, and I liked the way we played in subsequent games and I know we didn't have the talent level on the field that we had when we played Seattle and Chicago."

LMFAO!!

Ok, did Jerry just blame the Chicago/Seattle loses on the defense??

Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
TVScout

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan did deserve to get fired because he was totally out coached by Shan. That read option gimmick had Ware totally confused and Ryan had no answers.
waremd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
buckwild wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
I hope we don't bring in 100 year old Kiffin, and I'm not sure what Wannstedt brings other than a great mustache.

This is the father of the 4-3 defense, and - Lebow seems to be doing well running the Steelers defense. Lebow is about 20 years older than Kiffin.

Who do you think taught, Lovie Smith all he knows! Just because he is old doesn't mean that he can't still coach.

Lebeau is 3 yrs older(75) than Kiffin(72). Steelers D wasn't very good this year. Not doubting Lebeau/Kiffin's knowledge, but not sure if they have the energy the job demands. Plus, they have no motivation. They've done everything they have wanted to do in football. Rather have Keith Butler or Lovie Smith.

Not that good? The Steelers were the number one defense against the pass and 7th against the rush until we played them? Then I'm pretty sure they shut down Cinci and Cleveland, I'm positive the problem there was Todd Haley.

^---Props to thesickness89 for the sig ---^
JWingate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
Ryan did deserve to get fired because he was totally out coached by Shan. That read option gimmick had Ware totally confused and Ryan had no answers.

Ware was like that due to injuries, like most of our defense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
TVScout wrote:

A bum shoulder does not line you up out of position or tell you to bite inside every time.

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
me227

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Guess this is a good spot for this.

Valid points from both the article and StephenA/Bayless in the vid

LINKY

Another article, same video

Quote:
"I didn't like the way we were playing in a lot of cases," Jones said in the taped interview that will air in its entirety Saturday night on KTVT-TV in Dallas. "I thought we could play better before the injuries, and so I factored that in. It wasn't like we had a lot of injuries out here when we played Chicago. It wasn't like we had a lot of injuries when we played Seattle. I didn't like the way we played there.

"It's not hard for me to go to those games and say what can we do to improve when we played Seattle and when we played Chicago, and I liked the way we played in subsequent games and I know we didn't have the talent level on the field that we had when we played Seattle and Chicago."

LMFAO!!

Ok, did Jerry just blame the Chicago/Seattle loses on the defense??

Where does he mention the Defense? This interview was before Rob got fired. Jerry was asked about how injuries affect the offseason decisions. It wasn't why was Rob fired because he hadn't been fired.

2011 Dallas Cowboys Pick 'Em Champion
JWingate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
JWingate wrote:
TVScout wrote:

A bum shoulder does not line you up out of position or tell you to bite inside every time.

Does make you bite on o fake because your compensating for lack of mobility.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Tim MacMahon:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8828247/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-too-stubborn-consider-stepping-gm

Quote:
If owner was really serious about change at Valley Ranch, he'd step down as GM

Dadgummit, Jerry ain't standing for a couple of 8-8 seasons! Time for some drastic changes! Almost everything is on the table!

Well, except for the one constant from the Cowboys' 128-128 stretch.

Hmm, let's see, six head coaches, dozens of assistants, hundreds of players, one general manager and one playoff win over 16 seasons. Gee whiz, can anyone figure out the primary reason America's Team is a mediocre mess?!

His words, not mine.

Northland wrote:
ThePlaymaker86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
From Tim MacMahon:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8828247/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-too-stubborn-consider-stepping-gm

Quote:
If owner was really serious about change at Valley Ranch, he'd step down as GM

Dadgummit, Jerry ain't standing for a couple of 8-8 seasons! Time for some drastic changes! Almost everything is on the table!

Well, except for the one constant from the Cowboys' 128-128 stretch.

Hmm, let's see, six head coaches, dozens of assistants, hundreds of players, one general manager and one playoff win over 16 seasons. Gee whiz, can anyone figure out the primary reason America's Team is a mediocre mess?!

His words, not mine.
Well, I think we all agree with that and have for awhile
Tony7188

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
JWingate wrote:
TVScout wrote:

Ware shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. He can't tackle two players at the same time. Who was the QB spy on RG3? Nobody?

That's on Ryan

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
JWingate wrote:
TVScout wrote:

Was he also trying to get on the left side all the time, since his right arm was pretty much useless.
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
JWingate wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
JWingate wrote:
TVScout wrote:

Was he also trying to get on the left side all the time, since his right arm was pretty much useless.

Those are called excuses, and if a DC cant recognize he might have a more suitable option instead of a useless, injured player, he shouldve made the package change.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry is indeed pushing Garrett to give up play calling duties. As I said, Garrett spoke out of both sides of his mouth when he said he wasn't going to do it. Here's the link...from TODAY:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/12/mort-jones-is-pushing-garrett-to-give-up-play-calling-duties/

Quote:
According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, owner Jerry Jones is pushing coach Jason Garrett to relinquish play-calling duties. Per Mort, Jones also may be trying to get Garrett to fire his brother, tight ends coach John Garrett.

Mort says John Garrett is calling around the league regarding other available jobs. Which could indeed means that John Garrett fears his brother will fire him.

It also could mean that the Princeton-educated Garretts sense that Jones is trying to provoke a showdown that will result in Jason Garrett leaving as the head coach without Jones flat-out firing him.

Matts, this was the issue I was talking about the other day. I just can't/don't trust Garrett at his word because we don't know what his position on things really is. He's like a politician and says anything to make anyone who is listening happy.

Northland wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: