Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DKDALFan's 2013 personal mock draft thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New mock, not much change from mock 1 with the premium picks but change with the trades and later round picks

Worth noticing re-signs:
Costa, LP, Romo and Phillips.

Carr's contract is obviously restructured

worth noticing cuts/let go:
Jenkins, Spencer, Jones, Ogletree.

Stephen Jones has said that we will be tight up against the cap next year. NFLPA expects the cap to only rise a little. So I see no money for resigning either Jenkins, Spencer or Jones and also not for cutting Free without seeing if he can bounce back. Jerry wants to be sure that he can resign Lee next season and Dez + Carter + Murray in two seasons without having to backload the contracts too much.
Also, who in free agency is worth going after anyway? a guy who doesnt meet up in shape? a OT, who would be way to expensive since you have to remember we will be take a cap hit for Free that you would have to add to the contract to get a real picture of how expensive he is.

Coaching changes:
Callahan is promoted to be the teams OC. He will still have a lot of commitment when it comes to the o line, so that holds us from signing a big name there. Therefor Callahan keeps the o line coach title as well, but Wes Phillips is the primary coach for them.

****TRADE****
Jerry is speaking of changes. One of those I think he wants gone, is Jay Ratliff. Ratliff is overpaid as a 3-4 NT and he has been in argument with Jerry, and after been paying for the leagues most expensive bench warmer for the most of the season Jerry wants him gone, but instead of cutting him and take the cap hit without getting anything in return he gets him traded.
The Oakland Raiders trades for Ratliff, Raiders giving up a 4th and recieves Ratliff + next years 6th. They might need two DT's with Seymor maybe gone next year, and they have a history for trading. They believe, as me, that Ratliff will once again have a serious impact on the field. Trades with starters very rarely happens during draft day, that's why this happen before. The Raiders wants to win to prove that their investment in Palmer was a good choice. This will give them the freedom to draft a OT with one of their first picks.

1) Jonathan Jenkins, NT. 6'3, 350 lbs.
One of the biggest hits for the Cowboys, might be that Brent is going to jail. He would have been able to take over the starting job, as he did a lot this season. After trading Ratliff and expecting Brent to go to the jail, we have to take Jenkins with the first pick since we cannot expect a worthy true NT to be avalible in the 2nd and can not afford to take the chance. Jonathan Jenkins is a big, strong player who easily can fill out two gaps and is able to push the pocket as well. Not the biggest Jenkins fan, but I do think he makes sense here. Lissemore will be the NT on passingdowns. I don't see any reason to continue using the 1 gap NT regular.
- Just think, with Brent on the team we could have draftet Cooper here and gotten two top o line players with premium picks.

2nd) Travis Frederick, OG/OC. 6'4 334 lbs.
OG is something we obviously need to take care of this draft. Travis doenst get the love that he deserves. I defintly see him being as good Zeitler was last season. Cooper, Warmack, Jones, Thomas and Warford could all go before him according to draft sites which I think has a lot to do with Wisconsin moving him around too much while Frederick being surrounded by new guys this year. If he had played at guard I think he would have warranted 1st round consideration. So I defintly think this pick has very good value. He adds strength and bulk to the Cowboys line, but still is a quick agile player.
Travis do have a lot of baby fat, he can lose that and add some muscle instead. Wouldn't affect his movement negative since he would weight about the same, but it would make him even stronger.

***** TRADE *****
Cowboys sees a impact player with starting experience from a 3-4 avalible and with Spencer gone they jump up. The Cowboys offers their own 4th and next years 3rd in order to go up and get the Jaguars 3rd round pick. The Jaguars got some good pieces, but plenty of needs to go with them and are aware that they won't be competing again this year, so they are glad to take the deal since they get pretty good value, just a year later.

3rd) Chase Thomas OLB, Stanford. 6'4 250 lbs.
Without Spencer, Cowboys needs someone with a real chance of being a NFL starter. Butler is only a passrusher, i've never been a fan of Wilber and his very limited role this season so far points to him not being capable of the job next year. Chase has the experience from dropping back in coverage, a good motor and gets pressure on the QB. A good class of passrushers with guys who many might think has more potential, along with Chase not being a great tackler makes him drop here. Very good value, and not too unrealistic IMO. The Cowboys will be very pleased to find starting material for their 3-4 here.

3rdB) TJ McDonald S, USC. 6'3 205 lbs.
Church looked good until his injury but Sensa is probably not a top 35 safety and we don't know what we have in Johnson outside of potential.
TJ McDonald is very starting ready. He has been a starter since 2010 and comes from a defence that looks like an NFL defence after having played under Kiffin, and practising against a pro style offence. Also he has put up very good production vs. NFL talent in games. With TJ on the team, either he or Church will often be in a LB/S hybrid role still with two regular safeties in the backfield. He also has the height and athlecticism to battle the Grahams of this league. Finally a safety with a premium pick, and even a guy who probably would have gone in round two if not for a strong safety class.

4th) Alvin Bailey, OG. 6'5 319 lbs.
Alvin Bailey have declared for the draft, which is a BIG mistake in my mind. If he and the o line could get it turned around after the whole team having a horrible year, he could've been a early 2nd round pick. Bailey is a bit taller then I like a guard, but he has a lot of talent. He is pretty big but moves very well. Would be a great pick here, since he falls because of one terrible season which was shared by the rest of the team so that has to be credited to bad coaching. This is a deep guard class, and because of the latest season I don't see a reason why he should warrant a 3rd round pick or a early 4th, he might be taken shortly before our pick, but that would be very shortly. Will battle in camp for the starting RG spot, but I do believe Livings will win that one. But with some real work from him personaly in the offseason, and some good coaching in TC and OTA's he has a shot.

5th) Joe Kruger, DE. 6'6 280 lbs.
After having him in the 4th round before my edit, I decided to move him down to the 5th after some thinking and consulting with CBS. It's a packed D line class, and he defintly do have his flaws. Have only watched a little of him, so I will take him in the 5th where CBS have him ranked. I do very much like his size and a lot of his play. In best case, he will be a stud as his brother, Paul Kruger from the Ravens. After watching the Ravens play the colts, I really do hope that he will be. Will be able to bulk up to 290-300 lbs. I think that 4-3 teams interest in him will be limited. Lacks some speed for that.

6th) Knile Davis, HB. 6'0 223 lbs.
saying goodbye to one Razorback HB and hello to a new one.
Knile Davis is a big strong back who plays like a smaller back (which is little good, but defintly also a bad thing). He had a great 2010 season, but got injured up to the 2011 season (in the same ankle as he injured in HS). Returned in 2012 but his production along with the whole teams play dropped, but I still think he looked great and over his injury. He has the size and the talent, but falls to here because he has injury concerns, fumble concerns, drop in production concerns and needs to play more consistently as a big power back instead of using some quick moves. With that said, I really do like this prospect and think he has a bright future in the NFL.

We'll try to move Sensabaugh for a 7th round pick deep into TC, if we can't then he will be cut unless one of our top 3 safeties gets injured or simply does not pan out.

After pre season (assuming no UDFA steps up) a veteran OT is added for depth. All the way up to the season, the Cowboys will try to move Free or Parnell for a late round pick. (depends on how Free is looking in OTA's and TC)

Livings will face some competition for his starting job, and if he lose he might get cut or traded for a late round pick. If Arkin Isn't atleast very close to earning a starting job, he is cut.

Marcus Trufant is signed to add depth after Jenkins departure. Scandrick has zero ability on the outside, Trufant has.

when a player is listed as xxx/xxx it's because I expect a lot of competition for that position. The player listed first, is IMO the favorite to win the battle.

WR Dez Bryant, Danny Coale/Cole Beasley
TE Jason Witten, John Phillips/James Hanna
LT Tyron Smith
LG Travis Frederick
C Phil Costa, Kevin Kowalski
RG Nate Livings/Alvin Bailey/David Arkin/Ronald Leary
RT Doug Free/Jermey Parnell
WR Miles Austin, Dwayne Harris
QB Tony Romo, Kyle Orton
FB Lawrence Vickers
RB DeMarco Murray, Knile Davis/Lance Dunbar

LDE Marcus Spears/Sean Lissemore/Tyrone Crawford
NT Jonathan Jenkins, Sean Lissemore, Robert Callaway
RDE Jason Hatcher, Joe Kruger
LOLB Chase Thomas, Victor Butler
LILB Sean Lee, Dan Connor, Alex Albright
RILB Bruce Carter, Ernie Sims
ROLB DeMarcus Ware, Kyle Wilber
CB Brandon Carr, Orlando Scandrick
FS TJ McDonald/Matt Johnson, Danny McCray
SS Barry Church, Charlie Peprah
CB Morris Claiborne, Marcus Trufant, Sterling Moore

I think that if Spears can hold Lissemore and Crawford away from the starting job, he still would only recieve nearly less then 50 % of the snaps since both Kruger, Lissemore and especially Crawford would cut into his snap total.

I have believe in this o line to play above average. IMO, we are one guard from playing some good football. I think that Livings was solid, and I have believe in Costa who also did prove himself to play better and stronger in his limited time. Both Free and Parnell played well towards the end of the season. Offcourse, next draft we would hopefully once again look to the early part of the draft for o line in order to try and build a dominant o line.

Finally we might be able to run the ball in short yardage situations. Frederick, Costa and Bailey (if he starts) are all stronger then what we had last year along with Knile Davis being a big back. Add Vickers to the mix and we really look good for that.

Last edited by DKDALfan on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed the previous mock a bit. While also adding pictures to make it a bit prettier.

- What do you think of these trades?
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
I've changed the previous mock a bit. While also adding pictures to make it a bit prettier.

I think ht will be very upset that you used a draft pick on Knile Davis.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
J_Rowskee_DC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can live with that draft. I like using at least 3 picks on the trenches. I'm fine with using a 3rd on a safety. There's a lot of talent, thankfully, in the safety class, and just thinking of adding talent to help Carr and Claiborne in the secondary get's me slightly pumped.

thanks to Joe_is_the_best
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:

I think ht will be very upset that you used a draft pick on Knile Davis.

yeah I saw that he had a post where he stated that he shouldn't be drafted. I disagree, since he provides upside that no one to my knowledge can in the 6th round.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the Raiders trading for Ratliff at all, especially since they'll like take Star with the #3 overall pick. A team like New Orleans might be more interested in Ratliff.

The mock draft is o.k. It's not exciting, but it addresses many of the team's needs. Not excited by the Kruger pick, and I would rather see grab either a QB prospect to develop or a CB to add depth.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
I don't see the Raiders trading for Ratliff at all, especially since they'll like take Star with the #3 overall pick. A team like New Orleans might be more interested in Ratliff.

The mock draft is o.k. It's not exciting, but it addresses many of the team's needs. Not excited by the Kruger pick, and I would rather see grab either a QB prospect to develop or a CB to add depth.

I see Letolelei being gone even before the Raiders has a chance to draft him. They got plenty of needs, so I don't see why they shouldn't want to trade for Ratliff in? Not that it matters anymore anyway, I doubt that we will trade him if we shift back to a 4-3 which I could see happen after the firing of dear Rob Ryan. Could point to that they want to see him in a 4-3, and keep him on the team. Anyway, Raiders had 0 pressure on the QB, just check their sack stats. They would need to use a pick on a OT as well along with a DE, if not for getting a DT they wouldn't be able to adress one of these positions with a premium pick. Remember, they got no 2nd round pick and the chances of finding a player who can start from day one in the 4th round would be very limited, so I think that they would take Ratliff.

Not a fan of drafting a QB this year with the trenches and safety being obviously very deep and a big need.

Brought in Trufant in FA, would say that Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Trufant and Moore isn't bad depth at all. Trufant is still a very decent player.

- There will probably be a new mock up maybe already tonight, focusing on a shift to the 4-3.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that Star will be gone by the time the Raiders pick, but I wouldn't make an absolute statement. They'll take one of Star, Jones, or Moore at #3, and any of these players would instantly upgrade their pass rush.

Ratliff has little to no trade value given his injuries this year, his age, and declining production. A team might give up a 6th-round pick - a fourth is optimistic.

I missed you including Trufant as a FA signing. I don't think he would come to Dallas to be a backup. If he is going to be a backup, I think he'll stay in Seattle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
It's possible that Star will be gone by the time the Raiders pick, but I wouldn't make an absolute statement. They'll take one of Star, Jones, or Moore at #3, and any of these players would instantly upgrade their pass rush.

Ratliff has little to no trade value given his injuries this year, his age, and declining production. A team might give up a 6th-round pick - a fourth is optimistic.

I missed you including Trufant as a FA signing. I don't think he would come to Dallas to be a backup. If he is going to be a backup, I think he'll stay in Seattle.

I don't think they would mind giving up a 4th for Ratliff and a 6th (but it is the max price). It's not like they are one passrusher away from fixing the D line. And as I said, they only have two premium picks to use on a starter.

- But let's just agree to disagree on this one then.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shift to the 4-3, but focusing o line early
Worth noticing re-signs:
Costa, LP, Romo and Phillips.
Carr's contract is obviously restructured

worth noticing cuts/let go:
Jenkins, Spencer, Jones, Ogletree, Butler and Coleman.

Stephen Jones has said that we will be tight up against the cap next
year. NFLPA expects the cap to only rise a little. So I see no money
for resigning either Jenkins, Spencer or Jones and also not for
cutting Free without seeing if he can bounce back. Jerry wants to be
sure that he can resign Lee next season and Dez + Carter + Murray in
two seasons without having to backload the contracts too much.
Also, who in free agency is worth going after anyway? a guy who doesnt
meet up in shape? a OT, who would be way to expensive since you have
to remember we will be take a cap hit for Free that you would have to
add to the contract to get a real picture of how expensive he is.

Coaching changes:
Offensive coordinator
Callahan is promoted to be the teams OC. He will still have a lot of
commitment when it comes to the o line, so that holds us from signing
a big name there. Therefor Callahan keeps the o line coach title as
well, but Wes Phillips is the primary coach for them.

Defensive coordinator:
After the recent firing of Rob, Cowboys decides to shift back to the
4-3 since they don't like the chances of retaining Spencer and
wouldn't like to be forced into drafting two starters for the front 7
with premium picks (NT, OLB). Old man Monte Kiffin who is 72 years old
is hired. Has a lot of experience and success from being an NFL
coordinator, and it even earned him a superbowl. Last time he was a
play caller in the NFL was 2008, so the game shouldn't have changed to
much since then. He will keep Ryans former staff, who is tired of
changing team and would like to continue developing this group. Matt
Eberflus will study under Kiffin, in the hopes that he can take over
the defence when Kiffin retire.

1) Jonathan Cooper, OG. 6'3, 300 lbs.
My number 1 rated guard will be the pick here. I still think it's a
little to early to take either Okafor or Ansah here. Cooper is
excellent in both passblocking and runblocking. Great technique and
very quick feet. He won't overwhelm the opponent with strength, but
mirrors the defenders well and a able to get the DT away from the ball
carrier with his feet and technique. Cooper really stands out by
getting to the 2nd level consistently and does well finding out who to
block and to do it effectively. Hopefully, Cooper can add some
strength, because right now he looks to be able to be a very
outstanding player. Our left side of the line have just been secured
for the next decade.

2nd) Sean Porter, OLB. 6'2 230 lbs.
Sean Porter is very natural in zone coverage at reading the QB and
sensing the players surrounding him while being good in man as well.
But what really makes him stand out in the bunch of 43 LB's is his
ability to rush the QB. Porter actually beat Chance Warmack for a sack
with 3:50 left of the game in effort to protect a 5 point lead in the
Texas' redzone. The sack was a good showing, that he can get sacks
without only having to use his speed around the edge. Passrush is
always a good thing, and to have both him and Carter on the field at
the time time gives us some extra options to blitz, Lee and Connor can
add pressure as well.
Sean is not expected to be the starter, but Connor will be rotating
out a lot since he has troubles in pass coverage, where Lee will move
inside with Carter and Porter as the OLB's.

***** TRADE *****
Cowboys are still not satisfied with the trenches on the offensive
side of the ball, so they jump up. The Cowboys offers their own 4th
and next years 2nd rounder in order to go up and get the Patriots 2nd
round pick. The Patriots loves trading around and collect some future
value. Jerry wants change, so he better do something to make it
happen. He wants to be back in the SB again before his time is over.

2ndB) Travis Frederick, OG/OC. 6'4 335 lbs.
OG is something we obviously need to take care of this draft. Travis
doenst get the love that he deserves. I defintly see him being as good
Zeitler was last season. Cooper, Warmack, Jones, Thomas and Warford
could all go before him according to draft sites which I think has a
lot to do with Wisconsin moving him around too much while Frederick
being surrounded by new guys this year. If he had played at guard I
think he would have warranted 1st round consideration. So I defintly
think this pick has very good value. He adds strength and bulk to the
Cowboys line, but still is a quick agile player.
Travis do have a lot of baby fat, he can lose that and add some muscle
instead. Wouldn't affect his movement negative since he would weight
about the same, but it would make him even stronger. Frederick is
better at getting to the 2nd level then you should think considering
his size.

3rdB) TJ McDonald, S. 6'3 205 lbs.
Church looked good until his injury but Sensa is probably not a top 35
safety and we don't know what we have in Johnson outside of potential.
TJ McDonald is very starting ready. He has been a starter since 2010
and comes from a defence that looks like an NFL defence after having
played under Kiffin, and practising against a pro style offence. Also
he has put up very good production vs. NFL talent in games. With TJ on
the team, either he or Church will often be in a LB/S hybrid role
still with two regular safeties in the backfield. He also has the
height and athlecticism to battle the Grahams of this league. Finally
a safety with a premium pick, and even a guy who probably would have
gone in round two if not for a strong safety class. The pick makes even more
sense, since I mocked Kiffin to be our DC.

5th) Michael Buchanan, DE. 6'6 240 lbs.
Looks like a bit of a tweener for the NFL. Don't think that he really
fits at OLB, and needs to add weight to be a real contributer at DE.
If he weights in at the combine a good amount heavier or displays
great movement skills he will send his stock on the rise. at 20 pounds
heavier, he probably could be a 3rd rounder.
Buchanan will contribute on passingdowns. He is very good at
passrushing, using his height and speed to beat OT's. But he needs to
add weight and strength to be able to have a shot at being the
starter.

6th) Knile Davis, HB. 6'0 223 lbs.
saying goodbye to one Razorback HB and hello to a new one.
Knile Davis is a big strong back who plays like a smaller back (which
is little good, but defintly also a bad thing). He had a great 2010
season, but got injured up to the 2011 season (in the same ankle as he
injured in HS). Returned in 2012 but his production along with the
whole teams play dropped, but I still think he looked great and over
his injury. He has the size and the talent, but falls to here because
he has injury concerns, fumble concerns, drop in production concerns
and needs to play more consistently as a big power back instead of
using some quick moves. With that said, I really do like this prospect
and think he has a bright future in the NFL.
We'll try to move Sensabaugh for a 7th round pick deep into TC, if we
can't then he will be cut unless one of our top 3 safeties gets
injured or simply does not pan out.

After pre season (assuming no UDFA steps up) a veteran OT is added for
depth. All the way up to the season, the Cowboys will try to move Free
or Parnell for a late round pick. (depends on how Free is looking in
OTA's and TC, who will go)

Livings is cut in order to save a couple of bucks.

Marcus Trufant is signed to add depth after Jenkins departure.
Scandrick has zero ability on the outside, Trufant has. Not quite sure
on Seahawks intentions to re-sign him, but if they do this will
obviously be someone else.

We keep Sensa and tries to move him for a 7th rounder all the way through most of camp, if we are not succesfull to do so we will cut him depending on the performance of the other safeties on the roster

when a player is listed as xxx/xxx it's because I expect a lot of
competition for that position. The player listed first, is IMO the
favorite to win the battle

WR Dez Bryant, Danny Coale/Cole Beasley
TE Jason Witten, John Phillips/James Hanna
LT Tyron Smith, cheap vet FA/UDFA
LG Jonathan Cooper, David Arkin
C Phil Costa/Kevin Kowalski
RG Travis Frederick, Ronald Leary
RT Doug Free/Jermey Parnell
WR Miles Austin, Dwayne Harris
QB Tony Romo, Kyle Orton
FB Lawrence Vickers
RB DeMarco Murray, Knile Davis/Lance Dunbar

LDE Tyrone Crawford/Hatcher/Wilber
DT Jason Hatcher/Sean Lissemore
DT Jay Ratliff, Brian Price
RDE DeMarcus Ware, Michael Buchanan
SOLB Sean Lee, Ernie Sims
MLB Dan Connor, Alex Albright
WOLB Bruce Carter, Sean Porter
CB Brandon Carr, Orlando Scandrick
FS TJ McDonald/Matt Johnson, Danny McCray
SS Barry Church, Charlie Peprah
CB Morris Claiborne, Marcus Trufant, Sterling Moore

Dan Connor played well when starting in the Carolina 4-3 defence, he
is stellar against the run but has a lot of troubles against the pass.
That's why he will be rotating in and out a lot, when on the sideline
Lee will play on the inside with Carter and Porter on the outside. All
of those guys has the ability to rush the passer or drop into
coverage. The starting trio listed, would probably be one of the
leagues best against the run, and when Connor sitting on the bench
they could probably be among the best vs. the pass as well.

This is a o line with a lot of potential. They should be able to play
above decent this season, and could be dominant the season after for
years if Free can return to his former self. I'm one of the few who is
a fan of Costa on this forum, and if he plays like he did in his
limited time this season our o line looks very good. Smith, Cooper,
Costa and Frederick will have atleast a decade to build chemestry (if
we can retain them), chemestry might be the most underrated thing when
it comes to o line.
- Finally we might be able to run the ball in short yardage
situations. Frederick, Costa and Cooper are all stronger or just as
strong then what we had last year along with Knile Davis being a big
back. Add Vickers to the mix and we really look good for that. Also,
both Cooper and Frederick are much better at getting out and block
LB'ers. This o line can do more then just open holes at the LOS, they
can open big holes for big plays

Last edited by DKDALfan on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking, anyone wants to explain me why Warmack is so much more hyped then Cooper? I just don't see it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: