Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NIH Study: Junior Seau had CTE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: NIH Study: Junior Seau had CTE Reply with quote

Quote:
Junior Seau, one of the NFL's best and fiercest players for nearly two decades, had a degenerative brain disease when he committed suicide last May, the National Institutes of Health told The Associated Press on Thursday.

Results of an NIH study of Seau's brain revealed abnormalities consistent with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/junior-seau-cte-brain-disease_n_2446930.html

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably from getting his brain beat in for 20 years.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He get's money, fame, and one of the best jobs in the entire world. I won't make as much as he did an 1 year in my entire life.

That is the choice he made to have that. He knew NFL was a full contact sport. 1000's possibly 1,000,000's would trade lives with him straight up even knowing how short it was. Part of the NFL IMO.

Sig bet
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with this discussion is that people automatically conclude this is what caused him to commit suicide. There are other factors in his life that could have played in. Additionally, many people do this who have never played sports a day in their life. Just want to point these items out prior to the chorus of "NFL won't be here in 15 years!!!" and "This clearly caused what he did!!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
He get's money, fame, and one of the best jobs in the entire world. I won't make as much as he did an 1 year in my entire life.

That is the choice he made to have that. He knew NFL was a full contact sport. 1000's possibly 1,000,000's would trade lives with him straight up even knowing how short it was. Part of the NFL IMO.

It wasn't an informed choice. No one knew about the long-term impact of concussions (CTE, early onset dementia, long-term mental health problems) when Seau started his career. Sure, he knew his body would get beat up, but no one knew that it literally changed who you are as a person because of its impact on your brain.
bladefd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

It wasn't an informed choice. No one knew about the long-term impact of concussions (CTE, early onset dementia, long-term mental health problems) when Seau started his career. Sure, he knew his body would get beat up, but no one knew that it literally changed who you are as a person because of its impact on your brain.

You don't think people ever suspected concussions could be an issue if you are getting tons of them? I mean it's brain damage if your jelly in head is getting smashed around. You could also pass out from concussions, kill brain cells and go into comas - people knew all that. You would have to be kidding yourself to not know that concussions could have long-term impacts if your jelly was smashed around for years straight. C'mon man, it's simply nothing more than a logical exposition.

Any ex-player stating that they never expected this is straight up lying or is incapable of thinking logically on his own.

Simple example: If your knee is getting hit daily for 10 years multiple times in practice or games, what do you think will happen after 10 years with all the wear and tear? Would somebody have to sit you down and tell you "Hey bob, there is a chance you may have knee damage." C'mon, it should be common sense that after 10 years of constant wear and tear, your knee will start to break down in long-term and weaken up over time. Brain cells are not much different in this aspect.

Last edited by bladefd on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:

I agree with this, and I would trade my life for his previous life in a heartbeat, even knowing that I'd have a CTE in my brain after football was done.
nixa37

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladefd wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

You don't think people ever suspected concussions could be an issue if you are getting tons of them? I mean it's brain damage if your jelly in head is getting smashed around. You could also pass out from concussions, kill brain cells and go into comas - people knew all that. You would have to be kidding yourself to not know that concussions could have long-term impacts if your jelly was smashed around for years straight. C'mon man, it's simply nothing more than a logical exposition.

I don't think anybody realized the long-term impacts, until relatively recently. Sure, they realized it wasn't a good thing, but they probably figured it was like injuries to other parts of the body where maybe you'd be left with long-term migraines and headaches, and maybe start suffering from dementia at 70 instead of 80. I don't think anybody realized it would completely change your brain chemistry to the point where you might have dementia set in when you're 40 or that your brain chemistry could be changed to a degree where you were literally depressed because of an actual chemical imbalance for the rest of your life. Doctors and scientists didn't know these things at the time, but the players were supposed to? What world are you living in?
nixa37

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

I agree with this, and I would trade my life for his previous life in a heartbeat, even knowing that I'd have a CTE in my brain after football was done.

I'm guessing you're either really young, immature, or your life is just sad. I mean my life isn't exactly going great at this point and I've dealt with my fair share of hard times, but I wouldn't even consider trading places with Junior Seau for a second.

I'm getting out of this thread, because I just can't deal with people who are so obsessed with the NFL that they refuse to rationally confront what happens to the players and simply want to blame them for making a choice when they were young, immature, and not fully aware of the long-term consequences.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

I'm guessing you're either really young, immature, or your life is just sad. I mean my life isn't exactly going great at this point and I've dealt with my fair share of hard times, but I wouldn't even consider trading places with Junior Seau for a second.

I'm getting out of this thread, because I just can't deal with people who are so obsessed with the NFL that they refuse to rationally confront what happens to the players and simply want to blame them for making a choice when they were young, immature, and not fully aware of the long-term consequences.

There are plenty of people who can't deal with people saying the players are just helpless victims in this. You get paid handsomely for the risks you take. Yeah, they were young. How come I get held accountable for things I do at their age, but they don't. Sorry, it doesn't work that way where I'm from.

Plus, it's dangerous to assume everything was attributed to CTE and always is in athlete deaths. Case in point, Jovan Belcher. The overwhelming majority of people automatically assumed CTE. What was it? Seems like his guilt got the better of him.

Thanks, Tzimisce
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

I'm fully aware of the long-term consequences. I'm 21 years old and I play college baseball where I'm a pitcher - I know full-well what could happen to my arm at any time, I'll probably tear something and end up getting surgery on my elbow at some time and later in life my arm will be dead. So be it. I know the risks going in and the pay is well worth it.

If I could go back in time and go down the football path in life, I certainly would, no matter what the risks are. I'll take being a millionaire for 20 years and having fame and all that stuff over my life, and so would 95% or more of everyone else!
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

There are plenty of people who can't deal with people saying the players are just helpless victims in this. You get paid handsomely for the risks you take. Yeah, they were young. How come I get held accountable for things I do at their age, but they don't. Sorry, it doesn't work that way where I'm from.

Plus, it's dangerous to assume everything was attributed to CTE and always is in athlete deaths. Case in point, Jovan Belcher. The overwhelming majority of people automatically assumed CTE. What was it? Seems like his guilt got the better of him.

This is where I am at on this issue. And specifically to what you say about rationally discussing the issue, Nixa, isn't part of that avoiding the urge to jump to conclusions? While CTE is a discussion worth having, shouldn't we let further research play out before we make the most blanket of statements? We cannot assume that every time something tragic happens to a player that it is CTE. Further, by yelling CTE every time something happens, I think we devalue the actual discussion that can be had.

This is interesting regarding Seau, though. Didn't initial reports say nothing was found?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

I'm fully aware of the long-term consequences. I'm 21 years old and I play college baseball where I'm a pitcher - I know full-well what could happen to my arm at any time, I'll probably tear something and end up getting surgery on my elbow at some time and later in life my arm will be dead. So be it. I know the risks going in and the pay is well worth it.
If I could go back in time and go down the football path in life, I certainly would, no matter what the risks are. I'll take being a millionaire for 20 years and having fame and all that stuff over my life, and so would 95% or more of everyone else!

LMAO... an arm is a lot different than your BRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

and those of us with kids would NOT agree!

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Last edited by JDLefebvre on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

LMAO... an arm is a lot different than your BRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, and I am also aware of that, just saying that whatever sport you decide to play long-term, whether it's football, baseball, hockey, whatever, you KNOW the risks of playing the game and you still do it anyways because you love the game and you get paid quite well for it. It's not like you're being drafted against your will into the NFL to make millions and be famous Laughing
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok kid....

I'll take holding my grandchildren some day and you take your fortune and fame.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: