Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 Lets Try Something Different Mock - 1/10/2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Jrry32 Lets Try Something Different Mock - 1/10/2013 Reply with quote

I felt like it would be interesting to try something a little different for a change, here's what I came up with:
Rams Re-Sign
-William Hayes
-Wayne Hunter
-Jermelle Cudjo
-Darian Stewart
-Robert Turner
-Joe Barksdale

Rams Cut
-Steven Jackson
-Wayne Hunter
-Chris Williams
-Quintin Mikell
-Harvey Dahl

Major Free Agent Signings

Glover Quin SS
Projected Contract: 24 million over 4 years with 8 million guaranteed

Brian Hartline WR
Projected Contract: 16 million over 4 years with 6 million guaranteed

Explanation: Quin is one of the most underrated safeties in the NFL. He's a former CB who has the cover skills, box skills and instincts that we crave at safety. He's an all around player who will be able to play in and out of the box for us as well as match-up with TEs in the passing game. On Hartline, he'll offer a similar skill-set to Amendola except with more versatility. He has the ability to play outside at WR like he did this year and put up over 1000 yards as well as work the middle out of the slot. He's a good possession #2 WR. And imo, he'd be a free agent bargain for us.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #16 - Chance Warmack LG Alabama
Round 1 Pick #22 - Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
Round 2 Pick #16 - Markus Wheaton WR Oregon State
Round 3 Pick #16 - Stedman Bailey WR West Virginia
Round 4 Pick #16 - Micah Hyde FS Iowa
Round 5 Pick #16 - Nico Johnson SLB Alabama
Round 6 Pick #16 - Latavius Murray HB UCF
Round 7 Pick #16 - Justice Cunningham TE South Carolina

Explanation: The Lane Johnson pick will probably surprise some but he's going to be looked at in that range for sure and could end up going higher with Lewan returning to school. Johnson has elite athleticism to go along with great length, long arms and big, powerful hands. He's a tenacious competitor who plays through the whistle with a mean streak. He played QB at his Junior College and played DE and TE early in his career at OU. Started at RT in 2011 and moved over to starter at LT in 2012. Would offer the versatility to start at RT for us and play LT if Saffold got hurt or we opt not to re-sign him at the end of next year. Has some lapses due to his lack of experience but he's a guy that imo Boudreau could turn into a superstar...all the physical tools, the right attitude and no character red flags.

As for the other picks, I think Hyde has the perfect skill-set to play FS in the NFL. Great wrap up tackler, excellent ball-skills, impressive range and really reads the QB well. Would be an excellent center-fielder type player for us. I love Wheaton...we all know that. As for Bailey, he offers a guy who can play in the slot and outside...he reminds me of Steve Smith from Carolina with his physicality and attitude despite being an undersized WR.

It might surprise some to have Nico Johnson fall that far but I think he's a mid round pick who could fall because he's more of a thumper than a rangy, coverage OLB...but we could use a strong-side thumper. There are other options if he's gone.

Finally, Latavius Murray offers us a big back that can pass protect, catch the ball out of the back-field and has excellent vision and burst to the hole. Justice Cunningham offers us a big blocking TE who can catch the football when he's asked...an upgrade on Mulligan.

2013 Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Daryl Richardson
WR1: Markus Wheaton vs. Brian Quick vs. Brian Hartline
WR2: Chris Givens
WR3: Stedman Bailey vs. Brian Hartline
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Rodger Saffold
LG: Chance Warmack
C: Scott Wells
RG: Rokevious Watkins
RT: Lane Johnson

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Nico Johnson
CB1: Cortland Finnegan
CB2: Janoris Jenkins
CB3: Trumaine Johnson
FS: Micah Hyde
SS: Glover Quin

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Stedman Bailey
PR: Stedman Bailey

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be overdoing it on WRs...lol. If I weren't going to draft Bailey, I'd replace him with Stepfan Taylor or the best safety/OLB.

stlblackshirt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT'S GOLD JRRY! GOLD!!
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you had this going outside the box, and specifically garnering reactions off of cutting Steven Jackson, so...I'll be the first to walk that plank.

The man isn't as productive as he once was, but he is also about as steady as they go. Every year but his rookie year he's had over 1000 yards rushing, and about every year he's averaged about 30-40 receptions with over 300 yards. I still think it's premature to cut someone after a season with 1,000 rushing yards, namely one where most of them came towards the end of the season, not to mention this is the most time he's shared carries with another runningback since his rookie season when Faulk was still around.

Also, this scenario just leaves D-Rich as our guy, with Pead as the backup. Don't get me wrong, I love the way he runs, but I just don't think he has the vision or the receiving skills to be the starter. If there were another runningback in this scenario either signed off the market or drafted, I probably wouldn't have said anything. However, I just don't think the Rams should leave such an important position to chance with two guys that need quite a bit of work. Plus would that entail the Rams selecting a UDFA or a low market FA for the #3 RB spot?

That's my only qualm though...and at least I'm bringing it up in a good manner, rather than grabbing a pitchfork and declaring shennanigans Laughing I honestly had a big smile on my face when I saw Quin show up. IMO he was the Texans version of Chris Long, a very underrated guy that got overlooked because he didn't have the sexy stats. Plus, I have this to say about him.....HE IS THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF CRAIG DAHL! That alone should have fans excited, haha. I also LOL'd at the Hartline pic. Cromartie is standing there, watching in amazement, as if he were watching one of his 32 kids catching a pass.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

We're football fans...reactionary, delusional, and passionate...
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like the idea of Johnson at all... I watched tape and wasnt impressed especially for a first rounder. Thats just my opinion. If that is a route to explore id be more interested in Fluker. He isnt the most athletic tackle but he will never be out muscled.

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
I dont like the idea of Johnson at all... I watched tape and wasnt impressed especially for a first rounder. Thats just my opinion. If that is a route to explore id be more interested in Fluker. He isnt the most athletic tackle but he will never be out muscled.

Well, I couldn't disagree more. Johnson still has room to add bulk and strength to his frame. That said, I've been impressed with his ability to drive block at his size. Also a great second level blocker in the run game. He does need to improve his functional strength as he can get driven back as a pass blocker. But the guy is around 300 to 305. He has plenty of room on his frame. Put him in a NFL S&C program, he can boost his strength and get up to 315 easily. Saffold had a similar issue before Boudreau with the bull rush. It's all about technique.

Let Johnson bulk up and work on his technique and you have a potentially dominant OT.

And don't even get me started on Fluker. I'm not even sure if he'll stay at OT in the NFL. Might end up being kicked inside to OG. Great run blocker and very powerful but he has issues as a pass protector. Doesn't have great feet or balance and can give up too much to the inside against speedy DEs.

Not even comparable imo.

jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsfan28 wrote:
I know you had this going outside the box, and specifically garnering reactions off of cutting Steven Jackson, so...I'll be the first to walk that plank.

The man isn't as productive as he once was, but he is also about as steady as they go. Every year but his rookie year he's had over 1000 yards rushing, and about every year he's averaged about 30-40 receptions with over 300 yards. I still think it's premature to cut someone after a season with 1,000 rushing yards, namely one where most of them came towards the end of the season, not to mention this is the most time he's shared carries with another runningback since his rookie season when Faulk was still around.

Also, this scenario just leaves D-Rich as our guy, with Pead as the backup. Don't get me wrong, I love the way he runs, but I just don't think he has the vision or the receiving skills to be the starter. If there were another runningback in this scenario either signed off the market or drafted, I probably wouldn't have said anything. However, I just don't think the Rams should leave such an important position to chance with two guys that need quite a bit of work. Plus would that entail the Rams selecting a UDFA or a low market FA for the #3 RB spot?

That's my only qualm though...and at least I'm bringing it up in a good manner, rather than grabbing a pitchfork and declaring shennanigans Laughing I honestly had a big smile on my face when I saw Quin show up. IMO he was the Texans version of Chris Long, a very underrated guy that got overlooked because he didn't have the sexy stats. Plus, I have this to say about him.....HE IS THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF CRAIG DAHL! That alone should have fans excited, haha. I also LOL'd at the Hartline pic. Cromartie is standing there, watching in amazement, as if he were watching one of his 32 kids catching a pass.

We need cap room...Jackson is set to count 7 million against the cap in 2013. We need that room.

I think Pead and Richardson can handle it. If not, there are HBs in this draft that can. Murray is, imo, one of them. Can handle 3rd down duties and would offer us a big back.

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont disagree with you with either prospect Im just skeptical of smaller Tackles as LDEs mostly live off power moves and a "slower" OT can lose a little weight and work on his footwork and/or just force the DE to take the long way and not give up the inside. But a smaller OT will likely have a hard time putting on and keeping weight and get killed on power moves that will collapse the pocket and once that happens youre SOL

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
I dont disagree with you with either prospect Im just skeptical of smaller Tackles as LDEs mostly live off power moves and a "slower" OT can lose a little weight and work on his footwork and/or just force the DE to take the long way and not give up the inside. But a smaller OT will likely have a hard time putting on and keeping weight and get killed on power moves that will collapse the pocket and once that happens youre SOL

Johnson will be ok. He has the frame to add weight and he has the strength to hold up fine with better technique.

I'd rather have an OT who can take away both ways than have one who is giving up the long way. That was Richardson's issue. I want a potentially elite OT if I'm using a 1st. Johnson is that. Could even be elite at LT if Saffold goes.

jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also mulling over swapping out Stedman Bailey with Le'Veon Bell and then drafting Jasper Collins in the 7th with Michael Williams at TE in the 6th.

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I was also mulling over swapping out Stedman Bailey with Le'Veon Bell and then drafting Jasper Collins in the 7th with Michael Williams at TE in the 6th.

I was really surprised you didnt show love to your boy Ertz

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

I was really surprised you didnt show love to your boy Ertz

I don't think TE is a big need nor do I think he's the best value at #22. Don't see him making it to our mid 2nd.

kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are we re-signing Wayne Hunter, or are we cutting him? You have him listed on both...

As for the draft, wouldn't mind the 1st round at all. That would round out our O-line nicely. Although I'd like to find a way to keep Harvey Dahl...

Not crazy about going back/back again on WR's...

Overall, I'm so/so on it. I like it, but I wouldn't come away feeling like we got the best value we could out of the draft...

IDOG_det on the sig...
RIP "El Fenomeno" - Oscar Taveras
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand this thought of cutting Dahl. Its a relatively new one that has started to float about through Ram fans, but it is just as unlikely to happen as it is the wrong reaction. He is only $4mil against the cap, as well as a prime candidate to restructure as he has no guaranteed money left.

He is THE guy that Fisher wants on this team. He is a leader and the attitude that they want throughout the entire roster. He has been pretty good for us, and anyone that wants to say he was bad just isnt paying attention. He constantly has to try & overcompensate for Barry Richardson, just like he has do for both sdes of him last year.

Yes he is getting older, yes he got hut, and no he isnt the Monster inside that he once was. But to think they are just going to cut ties with him doesnt seem likely. His current contract has 2 years left at a total of $8 million (including a $500,000 roster bonus next year), I think a restructure as such could happen:

3 years - $11 million ($3mil guaranteed)
Y1- $3m base *guaranteed*
Y2- $3m base + $1m roster bonus
Y3- $3m base + $1m roster bonus

We tack on an extra year & $3mil more of false money to make it look good, that could be earned if he rebounds next year. We commit to him for this year, and guarantee him some money that he has none of right now. and by moving some money around we save us a million that can help with the depth of the team.

If we add a real RT and upgrade with Warmack at LG, this line with Dahl's mentality & leadership would be NASTY.
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly not my favorite mock from you Jrry, which could be attributed to my little research on Johnson, but I think I'd still rather have T.Williams. And then back to back smaller WR's in the 2nd and 3rd, not a big fan of that either.

It is something different though, I'll give you that, though, different doesn't necessarily mean better.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: