Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Jennings not expecting GB return in '13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiotPunch wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:

Yeah, you tag Jennings because you're willing to pay him the $10m for the 2013 season, and you listen to offers just like you listen to offers on everybody else. Maybe Jennings gets traded, maybe not, maybe Jennings gets extended, maybe not.

But I do think he will be tagged, in large part because it would be a mistake not to tag him.

I agree with this. Worst case Ontario, you have Greg for one year at the tag amount. By then he is almost 31 years old and you have Cobb and hopefully a rookie that much more ready to go for the future.

I don't buy the argument that no one would trade a 2nd for Jennings though. There would be very strong interest for him on the trade market.

But 11 million is a helluva lot to tie up on an aging receiver when you have your replacement busting at the seams.
British

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unballed Melon wrote:
Seeing as Brandon Marshall was traded for a pair of 3rds, I don't think 2nd + 3/4/5 would be that difficult to fathom. Especially seeing what the addition of a good receiver has done to the Bears offense that has been lacking one since...forever.

And Brandon Marshall is a childish head case. Jennings is a high character leader type who knows what it takes to win the Owl.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
But 11 million is a helluva lot to tie up on an aging receiver when you have your replacement busting at the seams.

I don't buy for a minute that Jennings is "aging". He'll be on the wrong side of 30, so you don't want to give him a six year deal, but it's not like receivers regularly don't continue to play well into their 30s.

Moreover, it's not like Jennings's game isn't going to age well either, since his effectiveness as a receiver is largely predicated on his skill and precision in route-running.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
CentralFC wrote:

I don't buy for a minute that Jennings is "aging". He'll be on the wrong side of 30, so you don't want to give him a six year deal, but it's not like receivers regularly don't continue to play well into their 30s.

Moreover, it's not like Jennings's game isn't going to age well either, since his effectiveness as a receiver is largely predicated on his skill and precision in route-running.
I agree with that, I don't think you even notice him losing a half step with how he plays until he's 33-34.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
CentralFC wrote:

LIS, the issue is not "if" Jennings cand play it's "where" he'll plays best. His game is going to age well. But it's going to age far better inside than it is outside. With a young star slot like Cobb on the roster I just can't see TT holding the bank premium.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
CentralFC wrote:

LIS, the issue is not "if" Jennings cand play it's "where" he'll plays best. His game is going to age well. But it's going to age far better inside than it is outside. With a young star slot like Cobb on the roster I just can't see TT holding the bank premium.

So what do you do with him if you are the GM?
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same any good GM would. If the money is fair I sign him. If not, I wish him the best of luck with his new team.

LIS, there is a good chance another team will see far more value in Jennings than TT will with Cobb around. They will see the Jennings that was working the slot when Cobb went down at the end of the season.

Last edited by palmy50 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
jiggad369

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
The same any good GM would. If the money is fair I sign him. If not, I wish him the best of luck with his new team.

Agreed. The pros just outweigh.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Dear Jay Cutler,
Sorry you got diabetes.
Love, Cookies.
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is gone.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Jennings-has-long-lasting-relationships-in-GB/7cda8943-ba8e-4306-a3ca-2e71c79f423d
A.J. Hawk Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPackers79 wrote:
This guy is gone.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Jennings-has-long-lasting-relationships-in-GB/7cda8943-ba8e-4306-a3ca-2e71c79f423d
WOW. he came off as a giant d bag in that interview. Smh.

3-Peat Footballs Future Elite Baseball League Champion
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.J. Hawk Fan wrote:
GBPackers79 wrote:
This guy is gone.

WOW. he came off as a giant d bag in that interview. Smh.

I think he was extremely frustrated with this season. He didn't get an extension before the season started, then he got injured, and then when he returned he wasn't a featured receiver.

Only way he returns is under the franchise tag. I think it would tender some feelings but it's in the Packers best interests to franchise tag him. Look at what the Pats did with Wes Welker. Tag him and see if you can't get a decent draft pick for him. And if nothing develops, you've got yourself another playmaker for 10 Million. He'll have another contract year. Packers hold the cards here.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or is the core of this team just getting.....full of themselves? Jennings comes off so disrespected in that one quote where he mentions Favre/Driver.

Sig brought to you by Justo
A.J. Hawk Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
Is it me or is the core of this team just getting.....full of themselves? Jennings comes off so disrespected in that one quote where he mentions Favre/Driver.
what did he say?

3-Peat Footballs Future Elite Baseball League Champion
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne

Jennings:"The Packers are going to do what's best for the Packers. That's not going to change whether you're No. 4, No. 80, No. 85, No. 77."

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne

Asked 85 what the most difficult part about leaving GB would be -- "I don't know if there's a difficult part. I'm excited for the future."
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to have this figured out so early. At least we can move on with the knowledge that we won't see GJ anymore.

Now, what style do week in the draft? Something similar to Jennings or a perimeter guy with some size? Interested to see if TT sees that as a "value" position come April.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: