Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Culture Change in Buffalo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beast M0de

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: The Culture Change in Buffalo Reply with quote

Ralph Wilson - 94 years old
Buddy Nix - 73 years old
Chan Gailey - 60 years old
Dave Wannstedt - 61 years old

Average age = 72

Russ Brandon = 45 years old
Doug Whaley = 41 years old
Doug Marrone = 48 years old
Nate Hacket = 33 years old
Mike Pettine = 46 years old

Average Age = 42

Our brass is much younger and innovative and I believe this regime is the start of the turnaround for the Bills. Russ Brandon wasn't lying when he said there would be culture changes and I believe these guys can get the job done unlike Wilson, Nix, Gailey and Wannstedt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Younger doesn't mean smarter. Just remember that when we're 4-12 next season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age doesnt mean a thing the part that sicks out that I like is that the coaching staff is all about discipline and being aggressive, where the old regime was laid back and played conservative. I am a bit scared with the Pettine hirer since he is a 3-4 guy and this team failed miserably last time they tried making the transition. Paying mario williams a huge contract and to make him upset and uncomfortable moving to the 3-4 could cause an issue in the locker room. I like that he is an aggressive blitzer unlike wanny who didnt believe blitzing was the way to a defense.

Thanks Max
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:

when you look at our opponents for next season, we will be lucky to win 6 games again, doesn't matter who could have been HC. remember that.

I'm all about my BILLS, I'm on my Stevie Johnson .... I mean Sammy Watkins.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
swolfdab wrote:

when you look at our opponents for next season, we will be lucky to win 6 games again, doesn't matter who could have been HC. remember that.
Glass half empty kinda guy, huh?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:

It could also potentially result in a winning season.

That has happened before.
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say... after 15 years of making changes every 2-3 years, I'm out of kool-aid. I'll believe it after the Bills start winning again.

^Jamison.
Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?
When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us
Maxmw22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to mention from a statistical standpoint,

Russ Brandon is still here, why is he no included in your first average?

Why is Nix and Wilson not counted in the 2nd group? He is still here from what I gather?

Curtis Modkins was 42, why is he not in group 1?

Seems like you tried to make it fit your model. Not to mention that Wilson is an outlier in your data.

Adopt-A-Bills:
RB C.J. Spiller - 927 yds, 4.6 ypc, 33 rec, 185 yds, 2 TD
DE/OLB Jerry Hughes - 46 tckls, 10 SCK, 2 FF
hargreaves2326

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
The age doesnt mean a thing the part that sicks out that I like is that the coaching staff is all about discipline and being aggressive, where the old regime was laid back and played conservative. I am a bit scared with the Pettine hirer since he is a 3-4 guy and this team failed miserably last time they tried making the transition. Paying mario williams a huge contract and to make him upset and uncomfortable moving to the 3-4 could cause an issue in the locker room. I like that he is an aggressive blitzer unlike wanny who didnt believe blitzing was the way to a defense.

Our 4-3 defense set records with yards allowed this season, who cares what scheme we run as long as its more aggressive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb_gobills wrote:
I gotta say... after 15 years of making changes every 2-3 years, I'm out of kool-aid. I'll believe it after the Bills start winning again.

My position as well. I'v been critical of the moves we've made so far, and if I'm wrong GREAT. I WANT to be wrong. But it's been 15 years and we've gotten no better. I'm not holding my breath until we actually make the damn playoffs.
BillSabre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The culture in Buffalo is of losing. It's being optimistic year in and year despite positive results. Hiring new people, regardless of age, hasn't brought a culture change. Only different results and a winning team will bring a culture change. Lets not put the cart before the horse. Baby steps fellas, baby steps. Not trying to be negative, I'm hoping Marrone and his staff can come in and light a fire.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Who got that sack? Cameron Jordan? Jordan Cameron? Michael Jordan? Cam Cameron? IM SO CONFUSED!
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@BrentAxeMedia: I have heard from some reliable sources tonight that Tyrone Wheatley is likely to go to Buffalo to be on Doug Marrone's staff.

Well looks like you guys poached our running backs coach and best recruiter....... Awesome....:.

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

Beast M0de

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxmw22 wrote:
not to mention from a statistical standpoint,

Russ Brandon is still here, why is he no included in your first average?

Why is Nix and Wilson not counted in the 2nd group? He is still here from what I gather?

Curtis Modkins was 42, why is he not in group 1?

Seems like you tried to make it fit your model. Not to mention that Wilson is an outlier in your data.

Nix is still here but he's out after the draft. Wilson isn't counted in the second group average because he promoted Brandon and gave him full control unlike before so the show and decisions run through him. Hence why I didn't include Brandon in the first one because he didn't have as much freedom as now. I guess I should've been more in depth in what I meant. For example, Marrone was sought out by many other teams but he CHOSE to come to Buffalo and he is well respected around the league. How many other HC opportunities did Gailey/Jauron have when they interviewed here years ago? The answer is only us; they were weak hires.

Pettine has been under Rex Ryan for pretty much his whole coaching career. In culture change I should've meant that we, IMO, have more respected coaches around the NFL now. We usually retrend hire but we landed a sought after HC who ran a top Saints offense under Sean Payton. We land a DC whose defenses have consistently been in the top 10; and also with the reports coming out today that the Lions ST coordinator and Browns RB coach are leaving their teams to come here is a nice change as well. According to the Browns fan above me, it seems like he was a highly respected coach to that team.

Curtis Modkins was young but he had terrible credentials and didn't deserve the job; the only reason he got it was because he was buddy buddy with Gailey at DAL, GT, and KC.

The culture change I should've said is in this regime we have respected HC/coordinators who have success in this league. Not retrend, old hires like Gailey and Dave Wannstedt who haven't had success in this league in over 10 years. There's a reason Gailey will never be a HC again or why Wannstedt/Modkins will never be a DC/OC again in the NFL.

It's nice getting praise on the hiring from players such as Brees, Witten, McCallister, Jahri Evans and Mawae and coaches like Tom Coughlin, Sean Payton, Jon Gruden. Where was all this when we hired the legendary Gailey or Jauron? I was wrong, the culture change isn't about age but more of recent success and respect around the NFL. Something the Bills never get.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: