Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason Discussion: Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
topwop1


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 5062
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:


I think it's a reach to say that. The Bears other 3rd rounder was 7 or so picks after that one, who's to say Miami wouldn't have asked for more in addition to that and that Emery wouldn't have gave in and pulled the trigger?

Also, if Martz were never hired and Jerry Angelo didn't trade Greg Olsen who's to say that the Bears couldn't have been more successful that year and Jerry Angelo was never fired, etc, etc. Everything happens for a reason and is a matter of circumstance.


Then what is the point of your Greg Olsen 'what if' complaint?


Just pointing out that you shouldn't make these random assumptions. We don't know what could have happened if Greg Olsen was never traded. Maybe they wouldn't have traded for Marshall, maybe they still would have, nobody knows. Either way all that I know is that in the end it worked out in the Bears favor so no reason to go back and think what if...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5349
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:


I think it's a reach to say that. The Bears other 3rd rounder was 7 or so picks after that one, who's to say Miami wouldn't have asked for more in addition to that and that Emery wouldn't have gave in and pulled the trigger?

Also, if Martz were never hired and Jerry Angelo didn't trade Greg Olsen who's to say that the Bears couldn't have been more successful that year and Jerry Angelo was never fired, etc, etc. Everything happens for a reason and is a matter of circumstance.


Then what is the point of your Greg Olsen 'what if' complaint?


Just pointing out that you shouldn't make these random assumptions. We don't know what could have happened if Greg Olsen was never traded. Maybe they wouldn't have traded for Marshall, maybe they still would have, nobody knows. Either way all that I know is that in the end it worked out in the Bears favor so no reason to go back and think what if...
It's not really a random assumption. If we kept Olsen we still have a huge hole at WR. Our need for a #1 receiver trumps our need for safety depth.

It's like saying if I picked up that penny on the ground maybe we wouldn't have traded for Marshall. It was still likely to happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dabears32


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 2308
Location: Cradle of Coaches, Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:


I think it's a reach to say that. The Bears other 3rd rounder was 7 or so picks after that one, who's to say Miami wouldn't have asked for more in addition to that and that Emery wouldn't have gave in and pulled the trigger?

Also, if Martz were never hired and Jerry Angelo didn't trade Greg Olsen who's to say that the Bears couldn't have been more successful that year and Jerry Angelo was never fired, etc, etc. Everything happens for a reason and is a matter of circumstance.


Then what is the point of your Greg Olsen 'what if' complaint?


Just pointing out that you shouldn't make these random assumptions. We don't know what could have happened if Greg Olsen was never traded. Maybe they wouldn't have traded for Marshall, maybe they still would have, nobody knows. Either way all that I know is that in the end it worked out in the Bears favor so no reason to go back and think what if...
It's not really a random assumption. If we kept Olsen we still have a huge hole at WR. Our need for a #1 receiver trumps our need for safety depth.

It's like saying if I picked up that penny on the ground maybe we wouldn't have traded for Marshall. It was still likely to happen.


Not sure which side of the argument I'm coming in on here, I got a little lost somewhere in between.

But I don't think the "If we kept Olsen we still have a huge hole at WR" statement is really a valid one.

Say we kept Olsen and don't have the Carolina 3rd rounder. You think that Miami was super specific and just said "We want two third round picks"? I personally doubt it. The 2 3rd-rounders were the product of negotiation. I'm pretty sure if Emery was locked on to Marshall he could have found another way to acquire him without using that 3rd rounder.
_________________
I'm a Bears fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
topwop1


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 5062
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'll say that Greg Olsen was probably the best TE the Bears have had in a while, but IMO he is not an elite TE in the NFL; so while the team, and more importantly Cutler could have used his abilities to create mismatches the past two years I don't think they're in that bad of a situation moving forward with all the talent available at the position in FA and the draft coming up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MemphisBear


Joined: 11 Feb 2011
Posts: 266
Location: Memphis, TN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets go after OJ Atogwe. amirite? Dancing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5349
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabears32 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:


I think it's a reach to say that. The Bears other 3rd rounder was 7 or so picks after that one, who's to say Miami wouldn't have asked for more in addition to that and that Emery wouldn't have gave in and pulled the trigger?

Also, if Martz were never hired and Jerry Angelo didn't trade Greg Olsen who's to say that the Bears couldn't have been more successful that year and Jerry Angelo was never fired, etc, etc. Everything happens for a reason and is a matter of circumstance.


Then what is the point of your Greg Olsen 'what if' complaint?


Just pointing out that you shouldn't make these random assumptions. We don't know what could have happened if Greg Olsen was never traded. Maybe they wouldn't have traded for Marshall, maybe they still would have, nobody knows. Either way all that I know is that in the end it worked out in the Bears favor so no reason to go back and think what if...
It's not really a random assumption. If we kept Olsen we still have a huge hole at WR. Our need for a #1 receiver trumps our need for safety depth.

It's like saying if I picked up that penny on the ground maybe we wouldn't have traded for Marshall. It was still likely to happen.


Not sure which side of the argument I'm coming in on here, I got a little lost somewhere in between.

But I don't think the "If we kept Olsen we still have a huge hole at WR" statement is really a valid one.
Say we kept Olsen and don't have the Carolina 3rd rounder. You think that Miami was super specific and just said "We want two third round picks"? I personally doubt it. The 2 3rd-rounders were the product of negotiation. I'm pretty sure if Emery was locked on to Marshall he could have found another way to acquire him without using that 3rd rounder.
I disagree with the bold. If we keep Olsen we still had an injured Knox, Hester and Bennett as our starting WRs. He had a huge need.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dabears32


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 2308
Location: Cradle of Coaches, Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
dabears32 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:


I think it's a reach to say that. The Bears other 3rd rounder was 7 or so picks after that one, who's to say Miami wouldn't have asked for more in addition to that and that Emery wouldn't have gave in and pulled the trigger?

Also, if Martz were never hired and Jerry Angelo didn't trade Greg Olsen who's to say that the Bears couldn't have been more successful that year and Jerry Angelo was never fired, etc, etc. Everything happens for a reason and is a matter of circumstance.


Then what is the point of your Greg Olsen 'what if' complaint?


Just pointing out that you shouldn't make these random assumptions. We don't know what could have happened if Greg Olsen was never traded. Maybe they wouldn't have traded for Marshall, maybe they still would have, nobody knows. Either way all that I know is that in the end it worked out in the Bears favor so no reason to go back and think what if...
It's not really a random assumption. If we kept Olsen we still have a huge hole at WR. Our need for a #1 receiver trumps our need for safety depth.

It's like saying if I picked up that penny on the ground maybe we wouldn't have traded for Marshall. It was still likely to happen.


Not sure which side of the argument I'm coming in on here, I got a little lost somewhere in between.

But I don't think the "If we kept Olsen we still have a huge hole at WR" statement is really a valid one.
Say we kept Olsen and don't have the Carolina 3rd rounder. You think that Miami was super specific and just said "We want two third round picks"? I personally doubt it. The 2 3rd-rounders were the product of negotiation. I'm pretty sure if Emery was locked on to Marshall he could have found another way to acquire him without using that 3rd rounder.
I disagree with the bold. If we keep Olsen we still had an injured Knox, Hester and Bennett as our starting WRs. He had a huge need.


You're assuming that having Olsen = not having Marshall.

That is what I am saying is a false assumption.
_________________
I'm a Bears fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10653
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
For what it's worth, I'll say that Greg Olsen was probably the best TE the Bears have had in a while, but IMO he is not an elite TE in the NFL; so while the team, and more importantly Cutler could have used his abilities to create mismatches the past two years I don't think they're in that bad of a situation moving forward with all the talent available at the position in FA and the draft coming up.

Not elite, but had 69/843/5 this year. That's pretty darn good.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7114
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MemphisBear wrote:
Lets go after OJ Atogwe. amirite? Dancing

Matt Jones, Marvin Harrison, and Hank Baskett are all starting-caliber WRs on the street! Plus Matt Jones is tall!
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Athelite


Joined: 01 Aug 2012
Posts: 1254
Location: #1 Russell Wilson fan #HOF
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
MemphisBear wrote:
Lets go after OJ Atogwe. amirite? Dancing

Matt Jones, Marvin Harrison, and Hank Baskett are all starting-caliber WRs on the street! Plus Matt Jones is tall!
hahaha that list , the Angelo Stone Age days
_________________

^Takeonme^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10653
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
MemphisBear wrote:
Lets go after OJ Atogwe. amirite? Dancing

Matt Jones, Marvin Harrison, and Hank Baskett are all starting-caliber WRs on the street! Plus Matt Jones is tall!

None of that is worse than the outcry when Brandon Rideau didn't make the 53 man roster. Or the widespread belief (or at least hope) for an entire offseason after a good 4 game stretch that Devin Aromashodu was going to be a #1 receiver, only to be benched and dog housed in the first game of that next season.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7114
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
MemphisBear wrote:
Lets go after OJ Atogwe. amirite? Dancing

Matt Jones, Marvin Harrison, and Hank Baskett are all starting-caliber WRs on the street! Plus Matt Jones is tall!

None of that is worse than the outcry when Brandon Rideau didn't make the 53 man roster. Or the widespread belief (or at least hope) for an entire offseason after a good 4 game stretch that Devin Aromashodu was going to be a #1 receiver, only to be benched and dog housed in the first game of that next season.

Rideau and Aromashodu were so overhyped, even more so by the belief that tall receivers are inherently superior. David Ball, Mike Hass, Dane Sanzenbacher...
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18597
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
MemphisBear wrote:
Lets go after OJ Atogwe. amirite? Dancing

Matt Jones, Marvin Harrison, and Hank Baskett are all starting-caliber WRs on the street! Plus Matt Jones is tall!

None of that is worse than the outcry when Brandon Rideau didn't make the 53 man roster. Or the widespread belief (or at least hope) for an entire offseason after a good 4 game stretch that Devin Aromashodu was going to be a #1 receiver, only to be benched and dog housed in the first game of that next season.

Rideau and Aromashodu were so overhyped, even more so by the belief that tall receivers are inherently superior. David Ball, Mike Hass, Dane Sanzenbacher...
Who are the Chicago Bears undrafted WRs of the 21st Century?

Obscure names only Bears fans would know for $1000 Alex
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5349
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabears32 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
dabears32 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:


I think it's a reach to say that. The Bears other 3rd rounder was 7 or so picks after that one, who's to say Miami wouldn't have asked for more in addition to that and that Emery wouldn't have gave in and pulled the trigger?

Also, if Martz were never hired and Jerry Angelo didn't trade Greg Olsen who's to say that the Bears couldn't have been more successful that year and Jerry Angelo was never fired, etc, etc. Everything happens for a reason and is a matter of circumstance.


Then what is the point of your Greg Olsen 'what if' complaint?


Just pointing out that you shouldn't make these random assumptions. We don't know what could have happened if Greg Olsen was never traded. Maybe they wouldn't have traded for Marshall, maybe they still would have, nobody knows. Either way all that I know is that in the end it worked out in the Bears favor so no reason to go back and think what if...
It's not really a random assumption. If we kept Olsen we still have a huge hole at WR. Our need for a #1 receiver trumps our need for safety depth.

It's like saying if I picked up that penny on the ground maybe we wouldn't have traded for Marshall. It was still likely to happen.


Not sure which side of the argument I'm coming in on here, I got a little lost somewhere in between.

But I don't think the "If we kept Olsen we still have a huge hole at WR" statement is really a valid one.
Say we kept Olsen and don't have the Carolina 3rd rounder. You think that Miami was super specific and just said "We want two third round picks"? I personally doubt it. The 2 3rd-rounders were the product of negotiation. I'm pretty sure if Emery was locked on to Marshall he could have found another way to acquire him without using that 3rd rounder.
I disagree with the bold. If we keep Olsen we still had an injured Knox, Hester and Bennett as our starting WRs. He had a huge need.


You're assuming that having Olsen = not having Marshall.

That is what I am saying is a false assumption.
That's the opposite of what I'm saying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7114
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
MemphisBear wrote:
Lets go after OJ Atogwe. amirite? Dancing

Matt Jones, Marvin Harrison, and Hank Baskett are all starting-caliber WRs on the street! Plus Matt Jones is tall!

None of that is worse than the outcry when Brandon Rideau didn't make the 53 man roster. Or the widespread belief (or at least hope) for an entire offseason after a good 4 game stretch that Devin Aromashodu was going to be a #1 receiver, only to be benched and dog housed in the first game of that next season.

Rideau and Aromashodu were so overhyped, even more so by the belief that tall receivers are inherently superior. David Ball, Mike Hass, Dane Sanzenbacher...
Who are the Chicago Bears undrafted WRs of the 21st Century?

Obscure names only Bears fans would know for $1000 Alex

What was super-irritating about those guys were the fans who acted like the sky was going to fall if they didn't make the roster. Like their extra-special mediocrity could have compensated for the rest of the rosters full-on mediocrity at WR.
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 13 of 67

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group