Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

salary cap situation for 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new weird cap numbers...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
new weird cap numbers...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

I have to believe it still takes into account Seymour's contract.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:

Brisiel and Branch are just overpaid no matter how many chances they get. Honestly Mitchell looked to be just as good a player as Branch every chance he got. The defense did not skip one beat without Branch. I don't see it. Not at an absurd 11 mil cap number. He's a 4 mil player with triple that off the cap.

The problem with restructuring, as so many guys suggest so frequently, is that it doesn't tackle salary or cap issues really. It just delays cap issues until the next year, or year after, or so on. If Palmer or Huff aren't 10 or 15 mil against the cap this year, they will just be 12 or 18 mil on the cap the next year. There's no negotiable way to never suffer from a bad contract without outright release. And even then there is a cap hit for that.

According to Branch's contract infos, he's due a 3.5M roster bonus soon and it is guaranteed. But i've learn over the past few years a guarantee isn't really guaranteed in the NFL, so maybe there's a way to get away from it. If it is really guaranteed, it's gonna be very costly to release him this year.

Everything you said about restructures is spot on. They just delay the moment you're gonna have to count the same amount against your cap and they usually also turn non guaranteed amounts into guaranteed ones. We really couldn't get rid of everyone last year because it would have put us even further above the cap so restructuring was the best way to find some room to field a 53 man roster. Unfortunately, it puts us in a tight situation again this year and maybe we're gonna have to hold onto some guys once agai. The good news is we have a lot of cap room in future years as it stands, enough room to plan on eating some dead money in those years and still be able to pursue players.
Rolni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Rolni wrote:
new weird cap numbers...

yeah it could be the case...
raidr4life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Rolni wrote:
new weird cap numbers...

yeah it could be the case...
It is the case because they cant say what we have until we actually cut or void players, and it doesnt take rocket science to know that Seymour, Mclain, TK and probably a few more overpaid players gone will put us in much better shape.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Rolni wrote:
new weird cap numbers...

It has to be the case. There is nothing to say that we couldn't keep Seymour on the team so why would a cap projection say otherwise? We haven't voided anything yet so there should not be any projections to say that we have.

And this article just shows us the need to part ways with DHB's contract. especially when we have Streater giving us comparable numbers in his rookie year. And we still have Criner waiting in the wings with Ford coming back too. There is no need to keep his $10M cap number on the books for what he is giving us on the field.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Rolni wrote:
new weird cap numbers...

It has to be the case. There is nothing to say that we couldn't keep Seymour on the team so why would a cap projection say otherwise? We haven't voided anything yet so there should not be any projections to say that we have.

And this article just shows us the need to part ways with DHB's contract. especially when we have Streater giving us comparable numbers in his rookie year. And we still have Criner waiting in the wings with Ford coming back too. There is no need to keep his $10M cap number on the books for what he is giving us on the field.

I highly doubt the Raiders will jettison anyone before a new OC is hired. It's a long off-season, everyone wants these guys cut now but nothing will probably happen until June 1.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Rolni wrote:
new weird cap numbers...

I highly doubt the Raiders will jettison anyone before a new OC is hired. It's a long off-season, everyone wants these guys cut now but nothing will probably happen until June 1.

Nothing? It will happen before the start of free agency in most cases. Btw, june 1st isn't a date anymore, it's just a concept. With the new CBA, you can release a player at anytime and designate him as a post june 1st cut to take advantage of the salary cap rules. I think you can only do it with one player though.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do teams generally start making cuts? I can't remember...

PM sig requests.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we let Routt go right around the superbowl time and then let Boss and Wimbley go in March. But that was pretty quick imo since Reggie had just gotten here. Although he didnt have a Coach to discuss most of it with.
NickButera

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember about how much cap room we had to work with last year, after all the cuts? Wasn't it around 6 million or so?

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated numbers:
http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2013/
Rolni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Updated numbers:

looks good!
we have to work from this. espn also posted this...

Sey should be in this with his 10+M deal right?
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Updated numbers:

looks good!

The hell?

oakdb36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Updated numbers:

looks good!

And i guess with the 4.5M cap roll over we would be at 0. I think Seymour is still counted until his contract is officially voided which should happen at some point after the SB, i guess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: