Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sam Shields & the Packers future @ CB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palmy50

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
PacAttack04 wrote:
I wouldn't mind looking at a bigger corner to draft his year pretty early. Someone like a Talib or a Nnamdi type guy, someone with great length and can press from time to time, defend the run decently well. The two guys that would fit are Rhodes and Millner, a big guy that can play the outside well, but obviously they will go pretty high. But we seem to have a lot of smaller and quicker CBs, no one who is a big physical guy. Really, a better Bush. Bring in some competition for House and Shields on the outside, always have a young guy to push these young players to get better if they wanna play
I'll take 6' 4.5 over 6'4 4.55 any day. Tall guys like that usually wind up toasty.

Clearly a 6'4 CB will have issues more times than not. But I'll give up a great deal of speed for the length at CB more times than not. Look at Al Harris. Man ran 4.6 in his predraft and played how long in the NFL. I mean, what was he running at the end there? Long CB's that know how to use it can play for a long time in the NFL. Many gains to that body type IMO.

Other way around on the other side of the ball. I love length at CB but I'm not a big fan of the long ones at WR more times than not. I would sure as hell give up some size for the speed there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
Wouldn't House have to stay healthy long enough at corner in order to be even considered at safety ? He will take even more punishment there.
That being said, you dont usually move a guy that has the skills to play corner - to safety.

Definitely agree with that second point. In today's NFL cornerback is definitely one of the most important positions to have solid depth in.
packattack86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
PacAttack04 wrote:
I wouldn't mind looking at a bigger corner to draft his year pretty early. Someone like a Talib or a Nnamdi type guy, someone with great length and can press from time to time, defend the run decently well. The two guys that would fit are Rhodes and Millner, a big guy that can play the outside well, but obviously they will go pretty high. But we seem to have a lot of smaller and quicker CBs, no one who is a big physical guy. Really, a better Bush. Bring in some competition for House and Shields on the outside, always have a young guy to push these young players to get better if they wanna play
I'll take 6' 4.5 over 6'4 4.55 any day. Tall guys like that usually wind up toasty.

I wonder how Seattle is able to not get burnt all day long with their giant CB's and Safety. I don't have their combine #'s but Sherman, Browner, and Chancellor are huge and I doubt they ran 4.4.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

packattack86 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
PacAttack04 wrote:

I wonder how Seattle is able to not get burnt all day long with their giant CB's and Safety. I don't have their combine #'s but Sherman, Browner, and Chancellor are huge and I doubt they ran 4.4.

It's a odd group at large but it sure works well for them. Sherman is a STUD. Browner, not so much. Get's a ton of help out there. Chancellor is in a ideal system for his set but a very good football player. All of them are damn lucky to have a safety like Thomas that covers about as much grass as any walking earth. He is the glue that holds that thing together!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do get burnt, but Sherman is savvy enough to keep guys from getting past him (plus some well placed holds sure don't hurt) and as Palmy said, Thomas makes the entire defensive world go round. IMO Thomas is the best player in that secondary, which is scary.
SDN40

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea they rarely get burned. That revolutionary hand to the facemask of the wide receiver takedown technique without ever being flagged makes it kind of hard to get by them.
There's a difference between playing physical and being thugs, they are thugs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
Yea they rarely get burned. That revolutionary hand to the facemask of the wide receiver takedown technique without ever being flagged makes it kind of hard to get by them.

also tripping db's when they're not looking and not getting flagged helps too.

they're dirty bunch of thugs. only a matter of time before that catches up and they suck
Bucks
Badgers
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

they're dirty bunch of thugs. only a matter of time before that catches up and they suck
The thing I can not figure out is how in the world they don't get called for illegal contact?? They openly mug WR's down the field, if Sam Shields looks at a WR wrong he gets a PI called on him, heck if Sammy gets shoved by a WR they call it on him. I saw about 8 plays where they had an obvious hold or IC on a Redskin WR and nothing was called but they would call the same or lesser penalties on the Redskins, it was so stupid.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best

Conductor of the Gerod Holliman Hype Train
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
They do get burnt, but Sherman is savvy enough to keep guys from getting past him (plus some well placed holds sure don't hurt) and as Palmy said, Thomas makes the entire defensive world go round. IMO Thomas is the best player in that secondary, which is scary.

Best football player I guess could be up for debate with Sherman, though I would agree with you. Thomas is easily the most talented though. He is the one player in that group that would be a star no matter the fit. If Thomas was playing in New York every kid in America would be sporting his Jersey. My lord is he ever a fun watch!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
ECPackers wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

The thing I can not figure out is how in the world they don't get called for illegal contact?? They openly mug WR's down the field, if Sam Shields looks at a WR wrong he gets a PI called on him, heck if Sammy gets shoved by a WR they call it on him. I saw about 8 plays where they had an obvious hold or IC on a Redskin WR and nothing was called but they would call the same or lesser penalties on the Redskins, it was so stupid.
IMO, it goes with the territory. If you are perceived as a physical defense, the refs tend to let you be more physical. If you're perceived to be soft on the defensive side, the calls become more ticky-tack. It's just something that I've observed over the years.

#JDI
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Read something that NFL teams scout refs like they do teams. Have a binder with calls the refs has made or not made in past games. There any truth to this?
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Read something that NFL teams scout refs like they do teams. Have a binder with calls the refs has made or not made in past games. There any truth to this?

Yes, I have done it! If you are on payrole, in-season every week you will have "self scout", "future play", and "ref read". The only ones that don't are contract scouts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Yes, I have done it! If you are on payrole, in-season every week you will have "self scout", "future play", and "ref read". The only ones that don't are contract scouts.
cool, cool, cool. Wasn't sure where I read but came across it at some point.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:
SDN40 wrote:

Come on this is football. I would take that group over ours any day of the week. I love the way they play. Going against a group of WR's like ours and they were in our heads the entire game. Sherman and Thomas are studs that cover a lot of ground and Browner and Chancellor are perfect enforcers. They may play a bit dirty, but I don't mind it in the slightest, would love to see our secondary get more physical. They played very well last week against Minny, hope they keep it up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: