Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Romo Stat, Holmgren only Cowboys, Running Game, White
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt79511

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDsportsfan wrote:
Saban didn't do squat in Miami nor do them any favors. I can live without having him here....and Gruden for that matter.

I think Saban would do great with a second chance in the NFL, but that's derailing the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I track plays from Cowboys games, Iím basically conducting an analytical form of self-scouting. My goal is to quantify the aspects of the game that others see on film, potentially lending credence to or discrediting certain ideas. One new aspect of my film study for 2012 is tracking each run route on each play. I did this primarily to judge Tony Romoís accuracy when throwing to different areas of the field. Here are the results:

Angle: 0-for-1
Back Shoulder: 8-for-13 for 95 yards, 5 TD
Check Down: 34-for-39 for 261 yards, TD
Comeback: 17-for-27 for 206 yards
Corner: 4-for-11 for 75 yards
Curl/Hitch: 86-for-108 for 741 yards, 2 TD, INT
Dig/In: 18-for-29 for 320 yards, 2 TD, 5 INT
Drag: 22-for-31 for 218 yards, INT
Fade: 0-for-6
Flat: 32-for-44 for 237 yards, INT
Go: 13-for-37 for 482 yards, 5 TD, 4 INT
Hitch-and-Go: 2-for-3 for 50 yards, 2 TD
Out: 54-for-75 for 468 yards, INT
Out-and-Up: 1-for-4 for 66 yards
Scramble Passes: 19-for-36 for 235 yards, 5 TD, INT
Screen: 19-for-24 for 123 yards, TD
Seam: 6-for-11 for 122 yards, TD
Slant: 52-for-72 for 637 yards, TD
Smash: 3-for-4 for 24 yards
Swing: 14-for-19 for 83 yards, TD, INT
Wheel: 1-for-5 for 33 yards
Note that the stats above are very close to Romoís final season totals, but not exactly the same due to a few passes that were thrown away or spiked. The play against the Bears on which Romo had the ball knocked from his hands but was credited with an interception is also not included.

You can see that a big portion of Romoís interceptions came over the middle of the field. Romo threw five interceptions on dig routes alone, despite attempting only 29 such passes all year. That 17.2 percent interception rate is over seven times as high as Romoís 2.3 percent interception rate on all other throws! We see similar struggles on drag routes; Romo managed only 7.03 YPA, no touchdowns, and one pick. And despite outstanding efficiency on post routes, Romoís interception rate of 9.1 percent on such throws is much too high.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Tony-Romos-2012-Passes-Broken-Down-by-Route-186033762.html
Hiero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:
If there is a coach that Jason Garrett follows more than any other, itís Nick Saban.

Itís not Jimmy Johnson. Itís not any of the other coaches he played for in the NFL, from Jim Fassel and Sean Payton and Jon Gruden.

Itís Saban.

If youíre tired of hearing about Garrettís ďprocessĒ talk, blame Saban. Thatís where Garrett got it from. He was Sabanís quarterbacks coach in Miami for two years and he likes to say he has notebooks filled with information of all the things he learned from Saban.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4704461/jason-garrett-trying-to-follow-nick-sabans-process

I think the world of Saban as a coach, so I'm good with this.

I'm fine with it as well. I'm not fine with his inability to adjust his playcalling and properly prepare a proper game plan for the team to follow on Sundays. It's clear that we play hard for Red Pubes, but I'm not confident that he has the skill of being an efficient head coach. We'd need to see how the team performs if/when he isn't the one calling the plays on offense to really determine his value as a head coach.

it's hard to adjust playcalling with Murray out and no offensive line, that isn't all on Garrett. hopefully this year we address that.

Props to IDOG_det on the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: