Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
TexasBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-73939091/

Sounds like not only have the Bears not released their assistants but they aren't allowing them to interview for other jobs yet. If they end up keeping Marinelli that could be a best case scenario moving forward.

Also sounds like the Clements interview will be Thursday.
not really a fair move on Emery's part, unless he's dictating to the next HC they have to keep the defensive staff as is, and in that case we probably won't get the candidate we want since he is coming in right away and being told how he has to build his staff. If the new HC wants the defensive staff, that's one thing, but if he doesn't plan on keeping the staff, and these guys are forced to sit and wait until all the other positions in the NFL are filled and then fired it's really a crappy move.

Huh? How is he supposed to know who the head coach wants until he actually hires the guy?

That's life. Buck up.

I feel strongly however that this isn't just a charade. I nearly posted a couple days ago that I believed that keeping Marinelli would be huge given the current personnel and the continuity moving forward.

I also believe these assistants can quit if they wanted too, saving the Bears some money.

Lets be clear, Phil Emery is conducting his business professionally and at a level we've never seen in Chicago. What a breath of fresh air.
the guys on the radio were talking about it, its a crappy move b/c there is a very real possibility that the new HC walks in and fires the entire staff, and these guys are w/o jobs next year b/c all the positions in the NFL have been filled b/c they were forced to wait to get fired. JD said he didn't think Phil Emery would do that b/c of the backlash it would cause for him in the NFL, so my suspicion is that Emery is telling these candidates that the Defensive staff is not to be messed w/ this year, which means probably getting a lesser candidate.

If Rod and the rest thought that the NFL world was just passing them by, they could quit today and void the rest of their contract. These radio people apparently think that Halas Hall is some kind of dungeon and Emery just won't let them leave.
It's Tom Waddle, Jeff Dickerson, and Mark Silverman. Nobody thinks that, they said the impression they got was that Emery would let these guys interview for other jobs, b/c it would cause a backlash on Emery w/ other coaches. If what Pompeii is reporting is true, than the only logical explanation is that Emery is telling the candidates that the defensive staff is remaining in tact, which likely takes us out of the running for the top candidates b/c no coach is going to want to be told who he can hire/fire for his staff.

There is also the very real possibility that an OC looking to take a HC job for the first time would happily keep in place a defensive staff that he knows has been highly successful with the current roster, at least for 2013. I'm sure there would be no mandate to keep those coaches beyond this year, very similar to the Emery/Lovie arrangement.
Of course, you are entirely correct. Any SMART coach will happily takeover a successful defense. It relieves a first time coach of a huge headache and allows him to concentrate on our problem full time.

It is hilarious to watch people trot out all these ridiculous arguments trying to discredit Emery.

NOT one of the coaches we are considering will think twice if told Marianneli has to stay for a year. They won't even blink.

I don't even think it's a mandate. The Bears had a top 3 defense this year with little support from the offense. If I'm Emery I'm asking candidates why they would want to revamp the defense at all versus restocking it with depth.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

[quote="AZBearsFan"]
ChicagoAl wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:

I don't even think it's a mandate. The Bears had a top 3 defense this year with little support from the offense. If I'm Emery I'm asking candidates why they would want to revamp the defense at all versus restocking it with depth.
Like he said he will listen if they are so inclined (or think they have a better DC in mind than Rod) but it will take a hell of a lot to convince him to move away from the 4 -3.

I also find it hilarious that people around here talk about coaches as though these guys have ANY permanence in their lives. Their lives are a kaleidoscope of moves, changes of jobs, locales. They do not hitch their wagons to a star and follow it everywhere.

Should Smith find a job some might consider following him but it is in no way an automatic thing even with those who like him most. They have to think of their families, the relative standard of living in the various locales, the degree of disaster the team going to is at, and other things.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: