Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Cap room
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: 2013 Cap room Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/70083/looking-at-afc-south-2013-cap-situations

according this this we are going to have about 12 million in cap room to spend and we have 3 key guys that are unsigned in Barwin, Quin, and Casey

most likely we resign all 3, but i think Barwin worked himself down into a 4-5 million dollar contract, casey and quin should be 3 or less, which means we wont really have any cap money, but we should see big losses either.

hopefully we are to a point that we can build through the draft

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Barwin worked himself down into a 4-5 million dollar contract

If he gets that much money he robbed us. Let him walk or come back for a 1 mil. There is no reason to pay a guy that much when they can pay a guy much less to produce the same.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Cap room Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/70083/looking-at-afc-south-2013-cap-situations

according this this we are going to have about 12 million in cap room to spend and we have 3 key guys that are unsigned in Barwin, Quin, and Casey

most likely we resign all 3, but i think Barwin worked himself down into a 4-5 million dollar contract, casey and quin should be 3 or less, which means we wont really have any cap money, but we should see big losses either.

Plus we should cut Kevin Walter and save about 3 million, and maybe look at cutting a guy like Cody....
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Cap room Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

Plus we should cut Kevin Walter and save about 3 million, and maybe look at cutting a guy like Cody....

Cody is a FA anyways.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Cap room Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:

McCain is also a FA, and given what we have see from Brandon Harris, I'm not too sure we're in a spot to let McCain walk. His deal won't be a backbreaker, but something to note.

Given this, this is how I see things playing out:

Barwin - Allowed to walk. I know that people look at his season and figure this is a foregone conclusion, given what we have in the reserves with Whitney Mercilius and Brooks Reed. I'm sure that Barwin would be willing to take a pay cut from the Texans, but I don't even think that is warrented now. We want our best, youngest players on the field, and that would be this years' 1st round pick and last years' 2nd rounder. Barwin will find a BIG payday from Pittsburgh or NY Jets, so don't shed too many tears for the guy.

Casey - Resign. He won't be getting Vonta money, and that's sad; Guy is just as good as our former FB. Might not be the road grader at the spot, but is much more versatile, able to line up at multiple spots. A three year deal at about $1.5MM/yr would get the job done, as Casey won't command much on the open market, IMO. How many times do you see FB/TE hybrids make "mad bank"?

Quin - Resign. I think this is the biggest name we have to consider; How many FS/SS/CB hybrids hit the market? Quin doesn't have sexy statlines, but he does so much - plays in the box, comes down to cover slot WRs in man coverage, can play over the top in coverage, provides great options in run and pass blitzing - he's an unsung hero, and while the casual fan doesn't take note of these little things, defensive coordinators have taken note. The team needs to be ready to tag Quin if something isn't reached by the time FA starts, losing him would be a big blow for the D.

McCain - Resign. Guy had a fantastic 2011, but slowed down this year prior to breaking his foot. The odds of him getting some big deal from anyone is slim, as he's always been undersized and never considered to be anything more than a very skilled NB. His value was kind of low prior to the foot injury, and that only drops it further. I could see a two year deal, with very heavy stat and PT incentives tied to it; Something that wouldn't be too cumbersome if the injury proved to be more than we expected and/or if Harris starts to show some improvement at the spot (he did look OK in the Bengals game, but it takes more than one game to win me over. The other 5+ games, the guy was outclassed in the biggest way).

Outside of keeping house, don't be too shocked if we look for more adequte depth at ILB. Bradie James, Barrett Ruud and Tim Dobbins might not be here next year (Dobbins might be able to stave off The Turk with his ST skill) and there is a need for youthful, talented depth behind Brian Cushing and Daryl Sharpton. There are a few names that stand out (IIRC, the backup to Patrick Willis and NaVarro Bowman is a FA; Those two are every down guys, so a chance to break into a rotation with Sharpton would be welcomed). Who knows what happens with Ben Tate (this COULD be the year in which Tate is shuffled off for draft picks) but I can see Forsett brought back, as he did well in his short time here. Also - look for Cushing to get an extension this offseason. His injury brings his stock down a bit, but there's no question that Cush is the glue of this unit, so keeping him here for the duration of his career is important.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt Cushing resigns this year, I doubt Smith will offer him full blown money after his injury and Cushing has no reason to accept less
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
I highly doubt Cushing resigns this year, I doubt Smith will offer him full blown money after his injury and Cushing has no reason to accept less

True to both accounts, but I also feel as if each side knows what's at stake; If Cush leaves, the Texans D takes a massive hit, and it isn't as if ILBs of his calibur find themselves as FAs or draft eligible. There's no need to create a need for Smith. Also, Cush knows that the Texans were quick to get his back following the hCG suspension; Bob McNair pumped in a lot of money for that "study" on Overtrained Athletes Syndrome a few years back. It's a business, but no need to burn a bridge by asking for big bucks...

Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Cap room Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

KW actually counts for 4.5 mil against the cap next year, but I'd be shocked if he didn't take a pay cut to remain with the team like he did this year. I think he's a useful player for 2 million or so, but no more than that. If KW was cut, the Texans would have 2 proven receivers on staff, which is not a viable option for a Super Bowl contender.

Sig by matthouston91
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Cap room Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
If KW was cut, the Texans would have 2 proven receivers on staff, which is not a viable option for a Super Bowl contender.

Same thing was said last year, when Jacoby Jones was a question mark. If KW is cut (I'm 50/50 on it, but he's too hot/cold for me at catching passes) I'd like to think we'd hedge our bets with a high round WR, or two mid round WRs (like Keshawn Martin and DeVier Posey last year).

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not dismiss the massive contract due Jesse Nading. Where would we be without his 22 snaps this year - oh yes, maybe we would have enough linebackers to field a team by mid-season or would have a special teams unit capable of not letting Deji Karim run straight up the middle untouched for a 101 yard kickoff return in a game that meant home filed advantage throughout the playoffs. I think we've paid off whatever value the pictures Nading must have of Kubiak or his sons by now...

Next up, Alan Ball must give Wade Phillips great foot rubs or something...

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather cut KW and Nading and try to sign a proven wide out, give me a guy like Bowe over any of the draft prospects
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
I would rather cut KW and Nading and try to sign a proven wide out, give me a guy like Bowe over any of the draft prospects

Agreed. WRs also take a long time to adjust usually, especially if they are not a top pick. I would be fine with having Andre, Bowe, Posey, and Martin start the season. WRs usually take 3 years to develop and we already have given a year to Posey and Martin. Picking in the late 20s we could end up with an AJ Jenkins. And be in the exact same situation. You never know.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Agreed. WRs also take a long time to adjust usually, especially if they are not a top pick. I would be fine with having Andre, Bowe, Posey, and Martin start the season. WRs usually take 3 years to develop and we already have given a year to Posey and Martin. Picking in the late 20s we could end up with an AJ Jenkins. And be in the exact same situation. You never know.

Not if we don't overdraft Big 10 WRs with marginal production against secondaries devoid of NFL talent (quick quiz, what do Jenkins, Posey, Martin /and Nick Toon/ all have in common?). Hell, throw Michael Floyd in that same bunch of busts as Notre Dame might as well be a Big 10 team. Let's also write off the combine wonders as Brian Quick and Stephen Hill proved yet again. Let's also stop placing a 6' 3" requirement on WRs as Kendall Wright, Ryan Broyles, TY Hilton, and Chris Givens showed.

Would it be too much to ask to just draft a WR that put up good numbers in college in a reputable passing conference (Big 12, Pac12, SEC, ACC) while also exhibiting an ability to separate at an NFL level without some rationalization about how a year off due to some minor injury (Jean) or disciplinary action (Posey) would be forgotten with some skill set that no other team seemed to see. I agree that free agency or trade may be the best avenue considering Kubiak can't draft young skill position talent and Schaub can't throw to it. Hell, following the Dreessen, Casey, and Garrett timelines, they start getting PT in year 3 and maybe a couple throws per game and a spot start by year 4 just in time to hit FA.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Cap room Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

McCain is also a FA, and given what we have see from Brandon Harris, I'm not too sure we're in a spot to let McCain walk. His deal won't be a backbreaker, but something to note.

Given this, this is how I see things playing out:

Barwin - Allowed to walk. I know that people look at his season and figure this is a foregone conclusion, given what we have in the reserves with Whitney Mercilius and Brooks Reed. I'm sure that Barwin would be willing to take a pay cut from the Texans, but I don't even think that is warrented now. We want our best, youngest players on the field, and that would be this years' 1st round pick and last years' 2nd rounder. Barwin will find a BIG payday from Pittsburgh or NY Jets, so don't shed too many tears for the guy.

Casey - Resign. He won't be getting Vonta money, and that's sad; Guy is just as good as our former FB. Might not be the road grader at the spot, but is much more versatile, able to line up at multiple spots. A three year deal at about $1.5MM/yr would get the job done, as Casey won't command much on the open market, IMO. How many times do you see FB/TE hybrids make "mad bank"?

Quin - Resign. I think this is the biggest name we have to consider; How many FS/SS/CB hybrids hit the market? Quin doesn't have sexy statlines, but he does so much - plays in the box, comes down to cover slot WRs in man coverage, can play over the top in coverage, provides great options in run and pass blitzing - he's an unsung hero, and while the casual fan doesn't take note of these little things, defensive coordinators have taken note. The team needs to be ready to tag Quin if something isn't reached by the time FA starts, losing him would be a big blow for the D.

McCain - Resign. Guy had a fantastic 2011, but slowed down this year prior to breaking his foot. The odds of him getting some big deal from anyone is slim, as he's always been undersized and never considered to be anything more than a very skilled NB. His value was kind of low prior to the foot injury, and that only drops it further. I could see a two year deal, with very heavy stat and PT incentives tied to it; Something that wouldn't be too cumbersome if the injury proved to be more than we expected and/or if Harris starts to show some improvement at the spot (he did look OK in the Bengals game, but it takes more than one game to win me over. The other 5+ games, the guy was outclassed in the biggest way).

Outside of keeping house, don't be too shocked if we look for more adequte depth at ILB. Bradie James, Barrett Ruud and Tim Dobbins might not be here next year (Dobbins might be able to stave off The Turk with his ST skill) and there is a need for youthful, talented depth behind Brian Cushing and Daryl Sharpton. There are a few names that stand out (IIRC, the backup to Patrick Willis and NaVarro Bowman is a FA; Those two are every down guys, so a chance to break into a rotation with Sharpton would be welcomed). Who knows what happens with Ben Tate (this COULD be the year in which Tate is shuffled off for draft picks) but I can see Forsett brought back, as he did well in his short time here. Also - look for Cushing to get an extension this offseason. His injury brings his stock down a bit, but there's no question that Cush is the glue of this unit, so keeping him here for the duration of his career is important.

I agree on Casey and Quin, but disagree on Barwin and McCain. Casey should be a fairly cheap re-sign and Quin does so much for this defense and should be a priority to re-sign. Also a SS without alot of interceptions shouldn't be to terribly expensive so a team friendly contract should be possible while still giving Quin a very good pay raise. On Barwin, I think he signs a 1 yr. extension with hopes of having a better 2013 season and then a big contract in 2014, or he signs a 3 yr. deal with a good pay raise but still a fairly team friendly contract. He may not get the sacks/stats but like Quin, Barwin does so many of the little things that are important to the defensive success of the team. McCain, I think we make him a good faith offer but I think he walks for the money offered elsewhere, even mediocre CB's can get expensive. Harris gets promoted to the nickle spot and we draft a mid round CB for depth, hopefully Johnny Adams-CB from Mich. St..

As for KW he might take a pay cut to stay with the team but honestly how many times are you going to slap a guy in the face and expect him to put forth full effort. Yes he was overpaid 2 yrs. ago and a pay cut was warranted this year but I can't imagine you'll get his full effort if he's cut again, and we have no one on the team ready to step up into his shoes at #2 WR and KW probably knows it. Posey has shown some late season potential but that's a long ways from every down starting #2 WR. Martin has shown potential for #3/slot WR, and Jean has been with us for 2 yrs. now and hasn't shown anything and should be fighting with a 2013 draft pick, Quinton Patton I hope, for a roster spot in training camp next year.

I think we save some money by allowing Cody to walk in FA, replaced hopefully with a 1st round rookie, Kawann Short or Jesse Williams would be nice. I also hope we keep Dobbins as depth at ILB, behind a rookie next year and let James and Sharpton walk.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ryan is out in Dallas, and rumor has it they are switching to a 43. Anthony Spencer could be on his way out, we should def. take a look, and considering the Cowboys traded back into the first round to draft him, I bet Wade will be all over him if he becomes available.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: