Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-73939091/

Sounds like not only have the Bears not released their assistants but they aren't allowing them to interview for other jobs yet. If they end up keeping Marinelli that could be a best case scenario moving forward.

Also sounds like the Clements interview will be Thursday.
not really a fair move on Emery's part, unless he's dictating to the next HC they have to keep the defensive staff as is, and in that case we probably won't get the candidate we want since he is coming in right away and being told how he has to build his staff. If the new HC wants the defensive staff, that's one thing, but if he doesn't plan on keeping the staff, and these guys are forced to sit and wait until all the other positions in the NFL are filled and then fired it's really a crappy move.

Huh? How is he supposed to know who the head coach wants until he actually hires the guy?

That's life. Buck up.

I feel strongly however that this isn't just a charade. I nearly posted a couple days ago that I believed that keeping Marinelli would be huge given the current personnel and the continuity moving forward.

I also believe these assistants can quit if they wanted too, saving the Bears some money.

Lets be clear, Phil Emery is conducting his business professionally and at a level we've never seen in Chicago. What a breath of fresh air.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

Sounds like not only have the Bears not released their assistants but they aren't allowing them to interview for other jobs yet. If they end up keeping Marinelli that could be a best case scenario moving forward.

not really a fair move on Emery's part, unless he's dictating to the next HC they have to keep the defensive staff as is, and in that case we probably won't get the candidate we want since he is coming in right away and being told how he has to build his staff. If the new HC wants the defensive staff, that's one thing, but if he doesn't plan on keeping the staff, and these guys are forced to sit and wait until all the other positions in the NFL are filled and then fired it's really a crappy move.

Huh? How is he supposed to know who the head coach wants until he actually hires the guy?

That's life. Buck up.

I feel strongly however that this isn't just a charade. I nearly posted a couple days ago that I believed that keeping Marinelli would be huge given the current personnel and the continuity moving forward.

I also believe these assistants can quit if they wanted too, saving the Bears some money.

Lets be clear, Phil Emery is conducting his business professionally and at a level we've never seen in Chicago. What a breath of fresh air.
the guys on the radio were talking about it, its a crappy move b/c there is a very real possibility that the new HC walks in and fires the entire staff, and these guys are w/o jobs next year b/c all the positions in the NFL have been filled b/c they were forced to wait to get fired. JD said he didn't think Phil Emery would do that b/c of the backlash it would cause for him in the NFL, so my suspicion is that Emery is telling these candidates that the Defensive staff is not to be messed w/ this year, which means probably getting a lesser candidate.

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
topwop1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for keeping Marinelli in the fold as DC if he wants to be here and the new coach also wants him. Only problem I can see from keeping Marinelli is that some of the players may respect him more than the new head coach and might undermine his authority in that sense. I just hope that if Marinelli were to stay that he and the new head coach can coexist and have a mutual respect for each other.

Not that there have ever been any indications that Marinelli is a tough guy to get along with. Just saying he might view the new head coach (especially if he's a first timer) as a guy who might not know what he's doing and won't have the utmost respect for him like he did with his good pal Lovie.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

Quote:

the guys on the radio were talking about it, its a crappy move b/c there is a very real possibility that the new HC walks in and fires the entire staff, and these guys are w/o jobs next year b/c all the positions in the NFL have been filled b/c they were forced to wait to get fired. JD said he didn't think Phil Emery would do that b/c of the backlash it would cause for him in the NFL, so my suspicion is that Emery is telling these candidates that the Defensive staff is not to be messed w/ this year, which means probably getting a lesser candidate.

First of all they are under contract with the Bears for 2013 meaning they are going to get paid regardless. Second, only 2 head coaches have been hired so far with quite a few job left to fill including OC's that have been let go. It's too early for people to start calling him out on something like this.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
Quote:

First of all they are under contract with the Bears for 2013 meaning they are going to get paid regardless. Second, only 2 head coaches have been hired so far with quite a few job left to fill including OC's that have been let go. It's too early for people to start calling him out on something like this.

Its never too early for the Chicago radio hacks.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
TexasBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

That's life. Buck up.

If Rod and the rest thought that the NFL world was just passing them by, they could quit today and void the rest of their contract. These radio people apparently think that Halas Hall is some kind of dungeon and Emery just won't let them leave.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

TexasBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

That's life. Buck up.

If Rod and the rest thought that the NFL world was just passing them by, they could quit today and void the rest of their contract. These radio people apparently think that Halas Hall is some kind of dungeon and Emery just won't let them leave.
It's Tom Waddle, Jeff Dickerson, and Mark Silverman. Nobody thinks that, they said the impression they got was that Emery would let these guys interview for other jobs, b/c it would cause a backlash on Emery w/ other coaches. If what Pompeii is reporting is true, than the only logical explanation is that Emery is telling the candidates that the defensive staff is remaining in tact, which likely takes us out of the running for the top candidates b/c no coach is going to want to be told who he can hire/fire for his staff.

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
TexasBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
TexasBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

That's life. Buck up.

It's Tom Waddle, Jeff Dickerson, and Mark Silverman. Nobody thinks that, they said the impression they got was that Emery would let these guys interview for other jobs, b/c it would cause a backlash on Emery w/ other coaches. If what Pompeii is reporting is true, than the only logical explanation is that Emery is telling the candidates that the defensive staff is remaining in tact, which likely takes us out of the running for the top candidates b/c no coach is going to want to be told who he can hire/fire for his staff.

Or, it means that he was honest with them and said that if the coach he brings in wants to keep them, then they will stay and if they new coach doesnt' want them it's adios. Plenty of teams are still looking for head coaches, and I doubt any team would want to interview someone like Marinelli for that position, after his 0-16 debacle. On the other hand, he's proven himself to be a very capable defensive coordinator with a top 10 defense. I guess I don't know as much about it as some folks, but I doubt any competant coach would want to fire a good d-coordinator just because.

However, at the end of the day, we don't actually know anything about anything, because of how close to the vest Emery plays it. I seriously doubt that he'd handcuff himself in his head-coaching search because he couldn't stand to part with Lovie's coordinators. Does that sound like something he'd do? Has he shown that level of incompetence thus far?

If I had to guess, I'd say that Pompeii is trying to gin up a controversy where there is none with rumor and inuendo, because he's a no talent hack who can't peddle his papers and opnions without it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
TexasBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

That's life. Buck up.

There is also the very real possibility that an OC looking to take a HC job for the first time would happily keep in place a defensive staff that he knows has been highly successful with the current roster, at least for 2013. I'm sure there would be no mandate to keep those coaches beyond this year, very similar to the Emery/Lovie arrangement.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
TexasBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

That's life. Buck up.

There is also the very real possibility that an OC looking to take a HC job for the first time would happily keep in place a defensive staff that he knows has been highly successful with the current roster, at least for 2013. I'm sure there would be no mandate to keep those coaches beyond this year, very similar to the Emery/Lovie arrangement.
I would suspect that to be the case, but I also think that if a candidate is choosing between 2 jobs and 1 gives him full control of his coaching staff, and the other doesn't for a year, then he's choosing job a.

OneBadCat wrote:
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
TexasBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

That's life. Buck up.

I would suspect that to be the case, but I also think that if a candidate is choosing between 2 jobs and 1 gives him full control of his coaching staff, and the other doesn't for a year, then he's choosing job a.

...if he has defensive coaches in line he knows would improve upon the status quo.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:

...if he has defensive coaches in line he knows would improve upon the status quo.
Coaches are fickle w/ big egos AZ, how many times have we seen a coach try to fix something thats not broken

OneBadCat wrote:
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

That's life. Buck up.

Before weeping too long and lengthily over the heartless Emery daring to think of his team first, you should recall that the coaches WILL BE PAID for the year, if canned. That is why the contracts were extended, to give the new coach some options and to protect the old coaches.

Most people would be happy with such a deal.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

TexasBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
TexasBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

That's life. Buck up.

Or, it means that he was honest with them and said that if the coach he brings in wants to keep them, then they will stay and if they new coach doesnt' want them it's adios. Plenty of teams are still looking for head coaches, and I doubt any team would want to interview someone like Marinelli for that position, after his 0-16 debacle. On the other hand, he's proven himself to be a very capable defensive coordinator with a top 10 defense. I guess I don't know as much about it as some folks, but I doubt any competant coach would want to fire a good d-coordinator just because.

However, at the end of the day, we don't actually know anything about anything, because of how close to the vest Emery plays it. I seriously doubt that he'd handcuff himself in his head-coaching search because he couldn't stand to part with Lovie's coordinators. Does that sound like something he'd do? Has he shown that level of incompetence thus far?

If I had to guess, I'd say that Pompeii is trying to gin up a controversy where there is none with rumor and inuendo, because he's a no talent hack who can't peddle his papers and opnions without it.
That describes almost all the reporters.

Emery made a lot of people mad by daring to fire St. Lovie. They are grasping at any straw to discredit him.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
TexasBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

That's life. Buck up.

Of course, you are entirely correct. Any SMART coach will happily takeover a successful defense. It relieves a first time coach of a huge headache and allows him to concentrate on our problem full time.

It is hilarious to watch people trot out all these ridiculous arguments trying to discredit Emery.

NOT one of the coaches we are considering will think twice if told Marianneli has to stay for a year. They won't even blink.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: