Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

what's the line on...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: what's the line on... Reply with quote

...our offensive line!

The Vikings went into the 2012 season with new starters at left tackle (Kalil), left guard (Johnson) and right guard (Fusco). Kalil, a rookie, and Fusco, a second-year player, never had started an NFL game.

Five months later, the Vikings have the No. 2 rushing attack and one of the most cohesive lines in the league. They've had the same five starters in all 16 games and Fusco has elevated his play to a point where the Vikings stopped rotating him with backup Geoff Schwartz two games ago.

Felton: "I think Sunday was their best game up front. We didn't have the 80-yard runs, but Adrian still ended up with 199 yards. And look how clean the pocket was for Christian. The key for us this week is the offensive line doing exactly what it did last week."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/185486362.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been very solid, in the schemes we are running.
They are better in run blocking then pass protection, but since we run more run plays then pass plays its a net benefit.
As a whole (for the season), O-Line flags have been reduced.

I prefer not draft O-Line in the 1st 2 rounds.
I could be fine with drafting a LG replacement in the 3rd round if value is there.

The have done a good job in pulling and power blocking schemes.

O-Line likely looks better then in reality due to Felton's great play, and AP being a beast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson leads the league in zero and negative yard gains (50 stuffs), that is partly indicative of mediocre Oline play.

Pass protection has been solid too, much better than last year.

Kalil, Sullivan and Loadholt should be staples to the line.

The OGs could use some work though.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Peterson leads the league in zero and negative yard gains (50 stuffs), that is partly indicative of mediocre Oline play.

Pass protection has been solid too, much better than last year.

Kalil, Sullivan and Loadholt should be staples to the line.

The OGs could use some work though.

AP leads the league in zero/negative yard gains because of the 8-9 man boxs only he sees, more often then not. Also in many of the early games we were known not to throw the ball much, especially if we had the lead.

Dont think they have been mediocre personally.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big reason for the offensive line's success has been that no one lost any time to injury, with all five starters starting all 16 games and ready to start Saturday as well.

Sullivan: "You need time to develop that chemistry and you also need live reps. We started to gel in OTAs and training camp, but then you also just need to get out there during regular-season and live games and get that experience playing together. I think we progressed. We can still play better, and we'll be looking to play our best game this weekend."

"You know we love blocking for the best running back in the league. Our coaching staff puts us in great positions to be successful. It has been an absolute pleasure. It has been a special season so far, but it's not over yet. As soon as we see Adrian break it into the open field, you're figuring he's going for a touchdown. He's a home run hitter. We love blocking for a running back like that."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/185613792.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

That's because he tries to cut back into the defense, instead of following his blocks. He's gotten better at following his blocks this year, but far too often he gets impatient and tries to cut back, only to get tackled for a loss by the LB or DE trailing the play.

There were at least 4 plays that I can remember against the Packers, where if he had just stayed behind Kalil, or Fusco as he was pulling, he would have busted a long run. Instead, he tries to cut back, something defenses have been ready for since his rookie year, and he gets tackled or has to break a ridiculous amount of tackles.

Many of Peterson's runs for 0 or negative yards is mainly his own fault.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

That's because he tries to cut back into the defense, instead of following his blocks. He's gotten better at following his blocks this year, but far too often he gets impatient and tries to cut back, only to get tackled for a loss by the LB or DE trailing the play.

There were at least 4 plays that I can remember against the Packers, where if he had just stayed behind Kalil, or Fusco as he was pulling, he would have busted a long run. Instead, he tries to cut back, something defenses have been ready for since his rookie year, and he gets tackled or has to break a ridiculous amount of tackles.

Many of Peterson's runs for 0 or negative yards is mainly his own fault.

He mentioned that after the game too. Said the last play they ran was one they ran earlier, but he didn't trust his blockers and cut back. That last play, he trusted his blockers.
kparty69

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to sign Brandon Albert this offseason and plug him into his more natural position of LG. That may not be the most realistic option because of cap space, but as an alternative I think we should sign Eben Britton to compete at LG.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kparty69 wrote:
I would like to sign Brandon Albert this offseason and plug him into his more natural position of LG. That may not be the most realistic option because of cap space, but as an alternative I think we should sign Eben Britton to compete at LG.

Albert will surely want top LT money and I cant imagine him wanting to switch to LG, the earning potential is much less.

I cant see the Chiefs losing Albert, franchise tag is worst case scenario if they dont work out a long term deal.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the same type of deal as the Jake Long one. You would be paying a guy left tackle money to pay a different position.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian Peterson said he would talk to general manager Rick Spielman and the team's other decision-makers about the importance of re-signing tackle Phil Loadholt.

Peterson: "I'll probably talk to 'em, just to get that guy in. He's just been improving each year. I'm going to keep my arms around him this offseason as well, just to make sure he's staying on top of this game and he's working out and he's doing the necessary things to make someone want to bring you back as well. So I'll have my toe in somewhere."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22327458/minnesota-vikings-adrian-peterson-stumps-phil-loadholts-return

Webmaster wrote:
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loadholt is a must sign this offseason. The guy have his mental lapses, but he is an absolute beast.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: