Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will the Raiders play a 3-4 scheme in 2013?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt it. Long term our D will be fine IMO once we get out of a lot of these bad contracts.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

La_Vader wrote:
5 yr former tight end Jordan.. hmm I just don't see the potential

He's played an outside linebacker / defensive end hybrid positon at Oregon over the course of the past three years. I'd also assume he was a two way player in high school so it's not like playing defense is new to him.

Are you seriously questioning a players NFL potential because of the positon he played in high school and during his freshman season in college?

I'd be willing to bet you haven't even seen much of Jordan's tape.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
La_Vader wrote:

He's played an outside linebacker / defensive end hybrid positon at Oregon over the course of the past three years. I'd also assume he was a two way player in high school so it's not like playing defense is new to him.

Are you seriously questioning a players NFL potential because of the positon he played in high school and during his freshman season in college?

No, you heard him. Dion Jordan just doesn't have potential. I'm sure all the Duck fans in here like Zoom and BP agree.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
La_Vader wrote:

No, you heard him. Dion Jordan just doesn't have potential. I'm sure all the Duck fans in here like Zoom and BP agree.

Go Ducks. Chip Kelly is back (I might drive the bus over Allen if things don't improve for a shot at him in 2014)!!

Jordan didn't make a lot of flash plays at Oregon, mainly because he's asked to cover in their defense. He excels there. When blitzing, he puts pressure on. He will need some refinement and learn to work his rush moves, but a good coach can get that out of him.

End of the day, he's a slightly raw prospect with great upside. He's the type teams like the Giants take and then explode as a playmaker in that setting. IMO, you are getting a guy that will have limited impact year 1, but will do some nice things for your team. Year 2 and on as he's had a full offseason program and bulked up a little, sky is the limit for him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
La_Vader wrote:

Go Ducks. Chip Kelly is back (I might drive the bus over Allen if things don't improve for a shot at him in 2014)!!

Jordan didn't make a lot of flash plays at Oregon, mainly because he's asked to cover in their defense. He excels there. When blitzing, he puts pressure on. He will need some refinement and learn to work his rush moves, but a good coach can get that out of him.

End of the day, he's a slightly raw prospect with great upside. He's the type teams like the Giants take and then explode as a playmaker in that setting. IMO, you are getting a guy that will have limited impact year 1, but will do some nice things for your team. Year 2 and on as he's had a full offseason program and bulked up a little, sky is the limit for him.

But he doesn't have potential.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo, Jordan is similar to Julian Peterson. A guy who's gonna be able to do a bit of everything from the OLB position. I've seen people talk about him as a DE and i just don't see it.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Imo, Jordan is similar to Julian Peterson. A guy who's gonna be able to do a bit of everything from the OLB position. I've seen people talk about him as a DE and i just don't see it.

Where do you seem him fitting in on a team like ours? I like him as a prospect but I just am not sure where he fits on our defense. Sounds like he can cover for the most part and could be used as an effective blitzer with some work. WLB? SLB? 3-4 OLB? His versatility could be real nice to have. Depending on possible trade downs and various offseason and draft scenarios, I could see us picking him. Allen did say he thought Burris could play MLB. He was even at MLB before Curry got hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

Where do you seem him fitting in on a team like ours? I like him as a prospect but I just am not sure where he fits on our defense. Sounds like he can cover for the most part and could be used as an effective blitzer with some work. WLB? SLB? 3-4 OLB? His versatility could be real nice to have. Depending on possible trade downs and various offseason and draft scenarios, I could see us picking him. Allen did say he thought Burris could play MLB. He was even at MLB before Curry got hurt.

In a 4-3, SLB. A 6-6 guy who can cover seems like a perfect fit to matchup against the new TEs. It doesn't mean he has to be limited to that though. He can blitz or he can put his hand down on some obvious passing situations.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

In a 4-3, SLB. A 6-6 guy who can cover seems like a perfect fit to matchup against the new TEs. It doesn't mean he has to be limited to that though. He can blitz or he can put his hand down on some obvious passing situations.

That's what I thought at first. But given he's already solid in coverage and so big, I was wondering how well he would keep up with those TE's like Graham and Gronk. Is he fast enough? I have to watch some tape on him.

If he is like a Julian Peterson at the next level with that size, he could be real special. I loved Peterson's game especially back in his SF days.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jordan would best suit 34 OLB - a guy his size who can cover - there could be no ceiling. I don't really see him as a DE (I think he could learn to play it and be really quite good - just that it doesn't maximise his talents).
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would've been happy with trading back and taking Dion Jordan but then I read he was a five year tight end and has no potential so I hopped off the bandwagon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Raiders do switch to a 34 as the base defense it would be a testament to Traver's progression. I've said this numerous times, but imo Allen is a glorified DC disguised as HC and Traver is a glorified position coach (LBs).

Off topic, I'm not big on defensive HC primarily because traditionally their respective offensives are pedestrian. My fear is that in the mold of a defensive mind, is that Allen will hire another conservative OC to limit his defensive exposure.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
I would've been happy with trading back and taking Dion Jordan but then I read he was a five year tight end and has no potential so I hopped off the bandwagon.

Let Myers walk and use Jordan to replace him?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:

Let Myers walk and use Jordan to replace him?

He's not a playmaker at Oregon so there's no way he could playmaker in the NFL. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: