Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Franchise Tag & Joe Flacco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Franchise Tag & Joe Flacco Reply with quote

Simply- Regardless of what happens in the Playoffs, Does the Franchise Tag make sense for Joe Flacco in 2013?

Thoughts?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The Ravens will already be close to the cap (Lewis retiring helps in that regard) after they tender their RFAs and EFAs so franchise tagging anybody should be avoided. I really think it's inevitable that Flacco gets a long-term deal in Baltimore so the sooner the better.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't make sense from a cap perspective, but it could very well happen.

With the lack of quality QBs in the draft and free agency this year, there is no way Joe hits the market. But we may need to use the tag to buy more time to work out a deal.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the franchise tag stays at the $14.5m that is projected, then I don't really think it makes much difference. Flacco is going to be getting paid about $14m a season anyway. I think the most the tag will do is buy us some time to work something out long term. But, in the end, I don't think it would serve to lessen our cap blow much and I certainly don't think we use it as a device to "see if Flacco is 'worthy' of paying him long term"... if the Ravens don't know what they have, or believe they have, after five seasons... then they will never know... and in that case, allowing him to walk outright and re-starting the QB carousel is their only other solution.

Prolonging the inevitable with a QB they're not comfortable with isn't going to do them any good in the long term.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flacco made one Great throw today, the 48 yard hookup to Anquan Boldwin. Really changed the game.

The play of Paul Kruger really gives the Ravens a dilemma. He was the most impactful player on a Defense with possibly 4 HOF guys. Exceptional off the edge.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Flacco made one Great throw today, the 48 yard hookup to Anquan Boldwin. Really changed the game.

The play of Paul Kruger really gives the Ravens a dilemma. He was the most impactful player on a Defense with possibly 4 HOF guys. Exceptional off the edge.

No dilemma. Sign Flacco, let Kruger walk. Kruger is an impact player on a hot streak. He's going to potentially get overpaid in free agency on the level of the deal Suggs got a few years ago... Well, not quite, but $10m would not surprise me at all. Teams love to overvalue our above average players. Kruger is dominating because he's seeing single coverage while Suggs and Ngata get the double teams. And as a run defender Kruger is average at best. He's not worth what it would take to bring him back... And while Flacco may get 'overpaid' its the nature of his position. And it would be far more detrimental to this team to fail at QB than to fail at pass rusher in the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flacco has to get paid. Simple as that, really. While he may not be playing at an elite level, week in, week out, the Ravens would be completely boned without him.

I don't like the idea of letting Kruger walk at all, but if it's a choice between him and Flacco, then there is no choice. If Kruger gets offered a boatload of money and decides he wants to take it, then that's what he's entitled to do. I'd like to think he'd at least consider any offer the Ravens make, especially in light of him seeing how wonderfully this organisation treats the players who stay loyal to them, but you never know. And it will be a business decision, unfortunately.

The one that would really annoy me would be seeing Ellerbe walk, because I think he's going to be a starter next season, whether in Baltimore or somewhere else. I'd much rather see McClain traded to someone who desperately needs an ILB.

How much cap space would be needed to get Flacco signed and then use the franchise tag on Kruger? More to the point, how many players would need to be let go to do that? Ray Ray, McKinnie and Bobbie Williams will all be gone. Possibly Ed Reed, Birk and Boldin too. Possibly Jacoby Jones.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Conquest8089 wrote:

No dilemma. Sign Flacco, let Kruger walk. Kruger is an impact player on a hot streak. He's going to potentially get overpaid in free agency on the level of the deal Suggs got a few years ago... Well, not quite, but $10m would not surprise me at all. Teams love to overvalue our above average players. Kruger is dominating because he's seeing single coverage while Suggs and Ngata get the double teams. And as a run defender Kruger is average at best. He's not worth what it would take to bring him back... And while Flacco may get 'overpaid' its the nature of his position. And it would be far more detrimental to this team to fail at QB than to fail at pass rusher in the draft.

I actually noticed a lot that when the Colts were bouncing it outside, it was Kruger who was not setting the edge effectively. I agree with your assessment on him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
Conquest8089 wrote:

I actually noticed a lot that when the Colts were bouncing it outside, it was Kruger who was not setting the edge effectively. I agree with your assessment on him.

That's one of the things I've always been impressed with Sizzle for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: