Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OAK-DET to coach Senior Bowl.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralTso wrote:
Er, how exactly did Wade Philips get to look at JJ Watt, he didn't coach the Senior Bowl according to this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Senior_Bowl

Posted this in the Lions forum, but after looking at teams' draft records, don't expect much from either Oakland or Detroit. If they draft anyone from the Senior Bowl, it'll most likely be 1 guy in the later rounds, if at all.

Oakland has an entirely new scouting department and GM. You can't really make any remarks regarding them at this stage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so why pass on the chance jacksonville?

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
Nightmare

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
BigMike1b wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
Cali2Wisco wrote:
poor kids

Laughing

Probably would have wanted better coaching staffs for the job, but I suppose it's additional work. Though it's also an amazing way to get more scouting time on players.

It could be worse. Munchak could have been coaching these kids.

Nah. Munchak wouldn't bother coaching. They would just go out there and play with no gameplan. Then when something goes wrong he'll just smile.

Sounds like the Art Shell gameplan. Except replace "smile" with "stare into space".
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
so why pass on the chance jacksonville?

We have no General Manager and now no coaches?

#JDI
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
GeneralTso wrote:
Er, how exactly did Wade Philips get to look at JJ Watt, he didn't coach the Senior Bowl according to this..

Posted this in the Lions forum, but after looking at teams' draft records, don't expect much from either Oakland or Detroit. If they draft anyone from the Senior Bowl, it'll most likely be 1 guy in the later rounds, if at all.

Oakland has an entirely new scouting department and GM. You can't really make any remarks regarding them at this stage.

Mm, my comment is regardless of regime. It's a track record of very few draft picks no matter the coaching staff/front office

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralTso wrote:

Oops, meant East/West Shrine game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_East-West_Shrine_Game

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
titans0021

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
the Viking staff coached in the Senior Bowl last year and said it was very valuable.

they saw S Harrison Smith play in the game but intentionally never showed any public interest in him or interviewed him or tried him out. Smith had no idea he was on the Vikings' radar, which he was all along given they traded up to draft him.

I agree, coaching the senior bowl is a very valuable scouting advantage. That's why they always offer it to the worst teams in the league. I never really understood why teams would turn it down (other than the teams that were firing their coaching staff and didn't have the new staff in yet).The 49ers used the senior bowl in 2007 to get a very close look at Joe Staley and ended up trading back up into the first to pick him up. Two probowls later, its looking like a very good pick.

Yep. Two years ago, Wade Phillips was the coach of the Senior Bowl...and he got a very up close and personal look at this DE from Wisconsin...JJ Watt. Despite the Texans already having a similar player in terms of size, speed and athletic ability in Mario Williams, Phillips' advised on what he saw firsthand from Watt, and dictated that the Texans would select him 11th overall. Wade basically said "I'll figure out what we're gonna do with Mario, but under no circumstances can we let this Watt kid play for anyone else..."

You can go to the combine and watch tape and interview old coaches and go to pro days and interview the kids...all of that stuff can lead to a lot of nothing; You have to actually sit down with the guys, give 'em instruction and see how they execute, how they pick themselves up after a bad play, how they respond to adversity, and how they handle success to gauge whether or not they have what it takes to grow in this league, and coaching this game usually means you're a step ahead of the scouting process vs the remainder of the field.

Thanks for sharing that story. I found it really interesting.

The only problem is that I have zero faith in the Lions ability to properly evaluate talent and make the right selections. Calvin, Stafford, and Suh don't count. Those were all no-brainer's.
The real problem with the story is that J.J. Watt didn't actually play in the Shrine Game. Laughing

Note: At least I'm 90% sure he didn't. I'm a Badgers fan and have no recollection of him being part of it and can find no evidence that he played in it online.

Adopted Titans - Sammie Lee Hill and Jackie Battle
Raiders4sho!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
the Viking staff coached in the Senior Bowl last year and said it was very valuable.

they saw S Harrison Smith play in the game but intentionally never showed any public interest in him or interviewed him or tried him out. Smith had no idea he was on the Vikings' radar, which he was all along given they traded up to draft him.

I agree, coaching the senior bowl is a very valuable scouting advantage. That's why they always offer it to the worst teams in the league. I never really understood why teams would turn it down (other than the teams that were firing their coaching staff and didn't have the new staff in yet).The 49ers used the senior bowl in 2007 to get a very close look at Joe Staley and ended up trading back up into the first to pick him up. Two probowls later, its looking like a very good pick.

Yep. Two years ago, Wade Phillips was the coach of the Senior Bowl...and he got a very up close and personal look at this DE from Wisconsin...JJ Watt. Despite the Texans already having a similar player in terms of size, speed and athletic ability in Mario Williams, Phillips' advised on what he saw firsthand from Watt, and dictated that the Texans would select him 11th overall. Wade basically said "I'll figure out what we're gonna do with Mario, but under no circumstances can we let this Watt kid play for anyone else..."

You can go to the combine and watch tape and interview old coaches and go to pro days and interview the kids...all of that stuff can lead to a lot of nothing; You have to actually sit down with the guys, give 'em instruction and see how they execute, how they pick themselves up after a bad play, how they respond to adversity, and how they handle success to gauge whether or not they have what it takes to grow in this league, and coaching this game usually means you're a step ahead of the scouting process vs the remainder of the field.

Thanks for sharing that story. I found it really interesting.

The only problem is that I have zero faith in the Lions ability to properly evaluate talent and make the right selections. Calvin, Stafford, and Suh don't count. Those were all no-brainer's.
The real problem with the story is that J.J. Watt didn't actually play in the Shrine Game. Laughing

Note: At least I'm 90% sure he didn't. I'm a Badgers fan and have no recollection of him being part of it and can find no evidence that he played in it online.

Nope. Wasn't on the team http://www.shrinegame.com/~/media/NewShrineGame/Files/PastRosters/86_January_22_2011.ashx

NickButera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralTso wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
GeneralTso wrote:

Mm, my comment is regardless of regime. It's a track record of very few draft picks no matter the coaching staff/front office

BP has a point. For the last 50 years, no matter the staff/front office, Al David made the picks. This is the 2nd year of change. You cannot logically connect them and disregard that fact. Our draft history cannot be used to say we will continue to draft poorly. It makes no sense now that Al is gone. Maybe if Mckenzie also had a track record of bad drafts, but he doesn't.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Raiders4sho!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickButera wrote:
GeneralTso wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
GeneralTso wrote:

BP has a point. For the last 50 years, no matter the staff/front office, Al David made the picks. This is the 2nd year of change. You cannot logically connect them and disregard that fact. Our draft history cannot be used to say we will continue to draft poorly. It makes no sense now that Al is gone. Maybe if Mckenzie also had a track record of bad drafts, but he doesn't.

I think he's saying no matter the team, they generally don't draft players from their team

tom cody

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually wouldn't mind Jim Schwartz coaching 1 of my teams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: