Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offensive Coordinators and QB's Coach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Offensive Coordinators and QB's Coach Reply with quote

It was brought to my attention by none other than BTB, and I thought it was a very interesting take on the possible change that could be coming. There are 4 constants since 2007 on the offensive side of the ball.

Jerry Jones - not going to fire himself, so leave that out of this talk
Jason Garrett - OC / HC / Play caller
Wade Wilson - QB's coach
Tony Romo - QB

With all the recent talk about Romo still being the guy in Dallas for several more years and Jerry stating he still has complete trust in both Romo at QB and Garrett as HC and that his job is safe. So, lets focus this thread on the Offensive Coordinator and the Quarterbacks Coach.

Again, the Offensive Coord. has been Jason Garrett, the position he has retained since 2007. Here is the offensive production under his tenure as play caller:

2007: 3rd overall / 4th in passig / 17th in rushing
2008: 13th overall / 9th in passing / 21st in rushing
2009: 2nd overall / 6th in passing / 7th in rushing
2010: 7th overall / 6th in passing / 16th in rushing
2011: 11th / 7th in passing / 18th in rushing
2012: 6th overall / 3rd in passing / 31st in rushing

Here is what I'm looking at and that while he maintains an above average offense and a top 10 passing game, we can really see a decline in his run game offense. Only 1 time (in 2009) do we see that we had a very good ground game. The rest of the time, we are below average. This is where I see the need for a new play caller. Garrett has underutilized our run game over the course of his tenure as OC. Sure, we have had issues here and there at RB and on the Oline, but that is no excuse. We are a constant sub 15 in the league in rushing. There is no excuse for that. A good run game will help take the pressure off of Romo and will help close out games. This is a major failure on his part as an OC.

Over to the next constant, and that is QB's coach Wade Wilson who has also been at that position since 2007. He has been the main guy to tutor and mentor Romo for the last 5 years. Sure, he has helped Romo to become a top tier QB (statistically), but he hasn't been able to get Romo to focus in the big games. He hasn't been able to get Romo over that perverbial hump. Has he hit a wall with Romo's development and progression? Maybe it's time for a change.

With all that being said, Lets start taking a look at some possible candidates for OC (not named Turner) and possible replacements for QB's Coach. I was trying to look at some guys this morning for my mock offseason, but I was hitting a road block, because I don't watch enough college games or other NFL games (outside of NFC east) to really know who is out there that could come in (who is available) and help out our Offense to become more balanced and who can get Romo over this hump.

Thoughts? Who are your guys and why? How can we benifit from their additions? would they change the dynamic of our Offense? What's their background?

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with replacing Wade Wilson. What exactly has he done? Romo seems to have plateaued and Stephen McGee never developed at all. Why not bring in someone that can actually groom a young QB?

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of lifeís problems.
textaz03

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
I have no problem with replacing Wade Wilson. What exactly has he done? Romo seems to have plateaued and Stephen McGee never developed at all. Why not bring in someone that can actually groom a young QB?
yeah, that is something that I thought about too, that i forgot to add into my OP. Pair that with this, when we eventually start looking for a replacement for Romo wether that be this year, or next year, do we really want Wilson to be the same QB coach who has not been able to get Romo over the hump coaching and mentoring our replacement for Romo? Seems like that would be a major progress stopper IMO.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
htfryar wrote:
yeah, that is something that I thought about too, that i forgot to add into my OP. Pair that with this, when we eventually start looking for a replacement for Romo wether that be this year, or next year, do we really want Wilson to be the same QB coach who has not been able to get Romo over the hump coaching and mentoring our replacement for Romo? Seems like that would be a major progress stopper IMO.

I think he is more on the hook for Mcgee. I don't know that you can give a guy the ability to deal with pressure situations. I just think there are people who thrive and then there is Romo. I do put some of the crap with Romo taking the play clock down to 1 every down on him. I know Romo thinks he gets to see the D reveal it's true self that way, but the D line also gets to tee off on our weak O line. Even if he has nothing to do with that. Wade and Garrett("I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead.") should have been addressing it.
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's find a coordinator/play caller who is going to recognize what we have in Murray and that we need to have some balance between passing and running. Of course we will need to address our O Line.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned his name before and I'd axe Wilson in a heartbeat if meant getting John Ramsdell. Guys track record with QBs is impeccible (see Rivers, Warner, Green, and Marc Bulgar).

Wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack at OC either. 30yrs in the biz, with the past 15 working under/with guys like Turner, Martz, Cameron, and Chudzinski.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8819948/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-wise-transfer-play-calling-duties-jason-garrett-bill-callahan

Very interesting read for this topic. It pretty much discusses everythign we are talking about. I was leary of the thought of Callahan being the o coordinator early this offseason, but this article makes me willing to at least give him a chance.
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8819948/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-wise-transfer-play-calling-duties-jason-garrett-bill-callahan

Very interesting read for this topic. It pretty much discusses everythign we are talking about. I was leary of the thought of Callahan being the o coordinator early this offseason, but this article makes me willing to at least give him a chance.

I don't know how it would work with Callahan calling the plays. He is more of a West Coast Offense guy with short timing passes. Our current offense is more Coryellesque with more vertical passing plays and fewer timing routes. Would Callahan be calling plays from our current system or would he implement his own system? Niether option is all that attractive.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of lifeís problems.
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:

Here is what I took from the article:

"Callahan put the ball in the hands of his best players while still establishing a physical mindset with his running game."

Whether it's Callahan's west coast, or the Cowboys Coryell like offense, or a blend of the two maybe Callahan deserves a shot. Everyone has an ego including Garrett and Callahan. Could the two exist with Callahan suddenly promoted to calling the plays?
TVScout

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring in Norm Chow.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:

I don't know how it would work with Callahan calling the plays. He is more of a West Coast Offense guy with short timing passes. Our current offense is more Coryellesque with more vertical passing plays and fewer timing routes. Would Callahan be calling plays from our current system or would he implement his own system? Niether option is all that attractive.

With our OL play, it might not be a bad idea to introduce some WCO. Our WR's are versatile enough to play in either scheme. I think Romo has the ability to play in a WCO as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: