Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tired of my Boy Jared Veldheer being thrown under the bus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JTagg7754


Joined: 09 Nov 2010
Posts: 12363
Location: Somewhere in Ohio
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
I think it's more about the general opinion on those guys. They were all the respective top ranked players at their position in their draft class, they were regarded as pro bowl material at the next level and they were drafted right in the range they were projected to go. None came close to the expectations.


I can dig that. I guess the term "sure bet" has different meanings as it should. I think of that as Andrew Luck, Joe Thomas, AD, people who are so technically sound and athletically gifted that the possibility of them failing is so low it's almost unimaginable. I never thought that about Gallery but I did think we were safe and he would still be our LT today...... smh......


Well, i wasn't following the draft as much back then but i remember Gallery being hyped as the next great LT and hearing how he hadn't allowed a sack in his last 2 years in college.


I wasn't following it nearly as much either as I was in school at the time but I saw him play often b/c he was a Big 10 player. I thought he had it all but, and what ultimately killed him, his arms just didn't work at our level.
_________________


PM sig requests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THE MAD STORK


Joined: 07 Aug 2012
Posts: 601
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
This will all be a moot point if we trade down anyway.

I would actually rather draft Alabama OC Barrett Jones who could play OG and RT as well. Then we could have him battle in camp with Wiz with the "loser" moving to OG. Of if Wiz wins we could possibly move Jones out to RT with Bergstrom playing the empty OG position.

Bottom line, draft a versatile OL and put your best 5 on the field.

And by the way, Veldheer is just fine where he is. Rolling Eyes


I don't think bergtrom Is ready judging by his last game and limited pt during the year. But hopefully he can improve in the offseason
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 6470
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
This will all be a moot point if we trade down anyway.

I would actually rather draft Alabama OC Barrett Jones who could play OG and RT as well. Then we could have him battle in camp with Wiz with the "loser" moving to OG. Of if Wiz wins we could possibly move Jones out to RT with Bergstrom playing the empty OG position.

Bottom line, draft a versatile OL and put your best 5 on the field.

And by the way, Veldheer is just fine where he is. Rolling Eyes


Wow. There are a lot of moves going on there. It makes me dizzy. Just so I have the narrative straight: Players can routinely move from OG to OT as long as it's on the same side but flip-flopping from LT to RT is a no no, The Raiders need to get the best 5 on the field but Veldheer moving should be out of the question even if Veldheer playing RT accomplishes that goal.
_________________
Nodisrespect wrote:
(on building inside out) teams without highly draft DT's make the playoffs and win the superbowl regularly.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitty


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 3812
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
I think it's more about the general opinion on those guys. They were all the respective top ranked players at their position in their draft class, they were regarded as pro bowl material at the next level and they were drafted right in the range they were projected to go. None came close to the expectations.


I can dig that. I guess the term "sure bet" has different meanings as it should. I think of that as Andrew Luck, Joe Thomas, AD, people who are so technically sound and athletically gifted that the possibility of them failing is so low it's almost unimaginable. I never thought that about Gallery but I did think we were safe and he would still be our LT today...... smh......


Well, i wasn't following the draft as much back then but i remember Gallery being hyped as the next great LT and hearing how he hadn't allowed a sack in his last 2 years in college.


I wasn't following it nearly as much either as I was in school at the time but I saw him play often b/c he was a Big 10 player. I thought he had it all but, and what ultimately killed him, his arms just didn't work at our level.


I remember people sayings
That he maxed out his strength in college and he never got any stronger in the NFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 9152
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
At RT in the power scheme Fluker will be fine as a rookie. Just like all the rest. Of course he will have to improve every aspect of his game like all the rest too. That includes his overall body health and type and footwork. Eric Fisher played some RT so he has history there. And he will not be a top 15 guy. I look for him to be drafted somewhere in the early 20's. And that is right in our wheelhouse for a trade down.


Fluker struggled in pass protection at the collegiate level but I do think if he loses some weight he'll be able to fix that area of his game moving forward.

Eric Fisher's draft stock is on the rise and will only rise more after the combine. And I wouldn't be surprised to see San Diego select him especially if Lewan is already off the board. The general consensus about Fisher is that he is the third best tackle prospect in this years class. If we're going to move back for an offensive tackle in the first round we shouldn't move out of the top twenty. After Joeckel, Lewan, and Fisher there aren't really any offensive tackles worth a first round pick.


Or trade back the 2nd and get a guy like L. Johnson. He is a pretty good OT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkness


Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Posts: 8560
Location: CA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
Darkness wrote:
RaisinBran wrote:
Raidin wrote:
All the people saying Reggie should draft Joekel would be the first calling for his head if he ended up like Robert "cant miss" Gallery. We've got a very good left tackle as it stands, drafting an unknown at that positions seems like a really terrible idea.

Al Davis didn't draft "can't miss" prospects. Otherwise our team would look a lot different than it is today.


Robert Gallery was the most hyped, "can't miss" OT prospect of the decade.


He was considered an elite prospect at the time but I don't think he was the most hyped tackle prospect of the decade. Jake Long and Joe Thomas both received just as much, if not more, praise from scouts and NFL teams as Gallery.

The only reason why Gallery failed as a left tackle in the NFL was due to his extremely short arms for an NFL offensive tackle.


Neither of those OT's received Gallery's hype. He was viewed as the best prospect from his draft class and the best LT prospect in some time. Everyone viewed us drafting him as a no brainer and home run.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZoomWaffle


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 5410
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
Darkness wrote:
RaisinBran wrote:
Raidin wrote:
All the people saying Reggie should draft Joekel would be the first calling for his head if he ended up like Robert "cant miss" Gallery. We've got a very good left tackle as it stands, drafting an unknown at that positions seems like a really terrible idea.

Al Davis didn't draft "can't miss" prospects. Otherwise our team would look a lot different than it is today.


Robert Gallery was the most hyped, "can't miss" OT prospect of the decade.


He was considered an elite prospect at the time but I don't think he was the most hyped tackle prospect of the decade. Jake Long and Joe Thomas both received just as much, if not more, praise from scouts and NFL teams as Gallery.

The only reason why Gallery failed as a left tackle in the NFL was due to his extremely short arms for an NFL offensive tackle.


Neither of those OT's received Gallery's hype. He was viewed as the best prospect from his draft class and the best LT prospect in some time. Everyone viewed us drafting him as a no brainer and home run.


+1

Which was the only reason I was not too mad about us taking him over my first choice (Big Ben). Crying or Very sad
_________________


Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCOUGHMAN


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 15246
Location: Stockton via East Palo Alto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
I think it's more about the general opinion on those guys. They were all the respective top ranked players at their position in their draft class, they were regarded as pro bowl material at the next level and they were drafted right in the range they were projected to go. None came close to the expectations.


I can dig that. I guess the term "sure bet" has different meanings as it should. I think of that as Andrew Luck, Joe Thomas, AD, people who are so technically sound and athletically gifted that the possibility of them failing is so low it's almost unimaginable. I never thought that about Gallery but I did think we were safe and he would still be our LT today...... smh......


Well, i wasn't following the draft as much back then but i remember Gallery being hyped as the next great LT and hearing how he hadn't allowed a sack in his last 2 years in college.


he had that perfect draft rating which was the highest of any o-lineman ever.

sad thing is he started at RT for his first 2 years and only gave up 6.5 sacks. then they moved him and the rest is history. i hated the move which is one of the main reasons i dont like ots switching sides.
_________________


green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you


Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCOUGHMAN


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 15246
Location: Stockton via East Palo Alto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
I think it's more about the general opinion on those guys. They were all the respective top ranked players at their position in their draft class, they were regarded as pro bowl material at the next level and they were drafted right in the range they were projected to go. None came close to the expectations.


I can dig that. I guess the term "sure bet" has different meanings as it should. I think of that as Andrew Luck, Joe Thomas, AD, people who are so technically sound and athletically gifted that the possibility of them failing is so low it's almost unimaginable. I never thought that about Gallery but I did think we were safe and he would still be our LT today...... smh......


Well, i wasn't following the draft as much back then but i remember Gallery being hyped as the next great LT and hearing how he hadn't allowed a sack in his last 2 years in college.


I hated him. Hated him, hated him, hated him. Not even for football reasons either. I was just young and wanted more flash with the pick. I wanted Fitzgerald or Big Ben so bad that draft. Can't say I could imagine them being worse picks.


i wanted vilma or sean taylor

but i wasnt mad at the gallery pick
_________________


green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you


Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver&Black88


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 34533
Location: Boston, MA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
I think it's more about the general opinion on those guys. They were all the respective top ranked players at their position in their draft class, they were regarded as pro bowl material at the next level and they were drafted right in the range they were projected to go. None came close to the expectations.


I can dig that. I guess the term "sure bet" has different meanings as it should. I think of that as Andrew Luck, Joe Thomas, AD, people who are so technically sound and athletically gifted that the possibility of them failing is so low it's almost unimaginable. I never thought that about Gallery but I did think we were safe and he would still be our LT today...... smh......


Well, i wasn't following the draft as much back then but i remember Gallery being hyped as the next great LT and hearing how he hadn't allowed a sack in his last 2 years in college.


I hated him. Hated him, hated him, hated him. Not even for football reasons either. I was just young and wanted more flash with the pick. I wanted Fitzgerald or Big Ben so bad that draft. Can't say I could imagine them being worse picks.


i wanted vilma or sean taylor

but i wasnt mad at the gallery pick


Yea, come to think of it, I really wanted to trade with WAS for their 1st and Samuels and pick Taylor. Tbh I don't even remember how good Chris Samuels even was at that point lol.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bo_Spice


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 9687
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I remember from the 2004 draft was watching it at my aunts house and being disappointed that the Raiders didn't draft Eli Manning. Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver&Black88


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 34533
Location: Boston, MA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
All I remember from the 2004 draft was watching it at my aunts house and being disappointed that the Raiders didn't draft Eli Manning. Laughing


This was the first of a series of drafts where I flipped a shi about our picks.

Gallery was the first

I was really disappointed when we passed on Rodgers but we needed a CB. Then when we picked Routt I was livid.

Huff was real bad. I wanted Cutler real bad. Leinart too but I didn't think he'd last.

Russell I was infuritated with too. Wanted Quinn, Calvin, Thomas or Peterson

DMac was bad too. I wanted Dorsey. Sucked seeing him go to KC.

DHB may have been the worst. The scenario that played out was literally a dream. Monroe, Raji, Crabtree and Oher all there. And we go DHB, lolwut

McClain I hated because I was a Captain Kirk guy. I liked other MLBs better too. I lived with it though because it was supposed to be a safe pick

Then we decided 1st round picks were for suckers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCOUGHMAN


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 15246
Location: Stockton via East Palo Alto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
All I remember from the 2004 draft was watching it at my aunts house and being disappointed that the Raiders didn't draft Eli Manning. Laughing


This was the first of a series of drafts where I flipped a shi about our picks.

Gallery was the first

I was really disappointed when we passed on Rodgers but we needed a CB. Then when we picked Routt I was livid.

Huff was real bad. I wanted Cutler real bad. Leinart too but I didn't think he'd last.

Russell I was infuritated with too. Wanted Quinn, Calvin, Thomas or Peterson

DMac was bad too. I wanted Dorsey. Sucked seeing him go to KC.

DHB may have been the worst. The scenario that played out was literally a dream. Monroe, Raji, Crabtree and Oher all there. And we go DHB, lolwut

McClain I hated because I was a Captain Kirk guy. I liked other MLBs better too. I lived with it though because it was supposed to be a safe pick

Then we decided 1st round picks were for suckers.


i wanted cutler that year hella bad

i wanted to trade down with N.O. for their LT
i wanted ray rice hella bad that year
_________________


green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you


Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pozzi


Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 372
Location: Carson City, NV
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
All I remember from the 2004 draft was watching it at my aunts house and being disappointed that the Raiders didn't draft Eli Manning. Laughing


This was the first of a series of drafts where I flipped a shi about our picks.

Gallery was the first

I was really disappointed when we passed on Rodgers but we needed a CB. Then when we picked Routt I was livid.

Huff was real bad. I wanted Cutler real bad. Leinart too but I didn't think he'd last.

Russell I was infuritated with too. Wanted Quinn, Calvin, Thomas or Peterson

DMac was bad too. I wanted Dorsey. Sucked seeing him go to KC.

DHB may have been the worst. The scenario that played out was literally a dream. Monroe, Raji, Crabtree and Oher all there. And we go DHB, lolwut

McClain I hated because I was a Captain Kirk guy. I liked other MLBs better too. I lived with it though because it was supposed to be a safe pick

Then we decided 1st round picks were for suckers.


Being a fan of this team has definitely taken a good amount of years off my life.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCOUGHMAN


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 15246
Location: Stockton via East Palo Alto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pozzi wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
All I remember from the 2004 draft was watching it at my aunts house and being disappointed that the Raiders didn't draft Eli Manning. Laughing


This was the first of a series of drafts where I flipped a shi about our picks.

Gallery was the first

I was really disappointed when we passed on Rodgers but we needed a CB. Then when we picked Routt I was livid.

Huff was real bad. I wanted Cutler real bad. Leinart too but I didn't think he'd last.

Russell I was infuritated with too. Wanted Quinn, Calvin, Thomas or Peterson

DMac was bad too. I wanted Dorsey. Sucked seeing him go to KC.

DHB may have been the worst. The scenario that played out was literally a dream. Monroe, Raji, Crabtree and Oher all there. And we go DHB, lolwut

McClain I hated because I was a Captain Kirk guy. I liked other MLBs better too. I lived with it though because it was supposed to be a safe pick

Then we decided 1st round picks were for suckers.


Being a fan of this team has definitely taken a good amount of years off my life.


the last superbowl run is the reason i made my son.
life was good back then Laughing

i remember we wouldnt let her watch the games when she was preg cause we always had those heart attack close games. but its been all down hill since then. in life and on the field lol
_________________


green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you


Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group