Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rtnldave's greatest draft that will never happen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Rtnldave's greatest draft that will never happen Reply with quote

Ok, first of all let me start off by saying you all know how I feel about the age difference between our starters and our up and coming stars. It is somewhere in the area of 5 to 7 years.

Which means, in my opinion, by the time our young players "get it" and can stay healthy, our veterans will be at the tail end of thier careers.

This means the window of opportunity at that point is like 1 MAYBE 2 years and then we will be in trouble again. It is my belief that we need to build young and strong in the trenches now so that by 2015 we will be primed for a series of championship runs.

Please try to keep in mind this is all hypothetical and many of you will have differenet opinions even IF you did decide to entertain this suggestion.

So, with that said, you have to ask yourselves a very tough question: "Would I do it?"

Here it is, the Mock that will never happen!

Cowboys sign Norv Turner as the OC

FA signings: OG Luis Vasquez.

Players Dallas cuts/lets walk:

1. Free
2. Jenkins
3. Jones
4. Bernardau
5. Coleman
6. Poppinga
7. Connor

to name a few

Players Dallas Resigns

1. A. Spencer
2. LP Ladoucer
3. Sims

Players Cowboys trade

1. D Ware traded to Hou Tex for a 1st, 3rd and a 1st in 2014
2. T Romo traded to Ariz Cards for a 2nd this yeara and a 1st in 2014
3. M Austin traded to N.O. Saints for a 3rd round pick

Cowboys draft picks 2013:

1st round:
18- J Matthews OT Tex A & M
29- B. Jones C/G Ala (via Hou)

2nd round:
38- J Williams NT Ala (via Ari)
49- B. Jenkins OLB Fla St

3rd round:
77- Le'Von Bell RB Mch St (via NO)
82- Marcus Davis WR Virg Tech
92- T.J. McDonald S USC (via Hou)

4th round:
113- Jordon Hill DT Penn St

5th round:
146- Zac Dysert QB Mia OH

6th round:
177:-Braxton Cave C N.D.

Roll with Orton for a year at QB.

AND, next year you will have three, THREE 1st round picks to move up and take the player of your choice. You want a QB? You got him! You want another OLB? You got him! You want a WR or RB? You can trade up to take whoever you want!

And, we will be built for the long haul. A brand spanking new O line, a legit NT and new DT along with a solid OLB and S.

A big bruising RB and a QB to groom, who just happened to beat all of Big Ben's records at Mia OH.

And like I said, if you don't like a player, we will have three 1st round picks next year.

Again, this is all hypothetical and will never happen, but I can dream can't I? So ask yourselves: "Would I do it?"
waremd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, but no I would never do it.

^---Props to thesickness89 for the sig ---^
playa-hater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If building is the plan, why then would Dallas resign Spencer ?
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playa-hater wrote:

Well, you need to have SOME veteran experience at the OLB position in a 3-4. And since Spencer is up for a new contract and he wouldn't garner as much on the trade market, we keep him.
Hiero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re-signing spencer and trading Ware would be bad, so would Orton with no backup for a year

Props to IDOG_det on the sig.
atran35

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Well, you need to have SOME veteran experience at the OLB position in a 3-4. And since Spencer is up for a new contract and he wouldn't garner as much on the trade market, we keep him.

It's no point in keeping Spencer if you are going to blow up the team like that.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

It's no point in keeping Spencer if you are going to blow up the team like that.

Agree. I'm only for franchising him again, even if we keep the team in tact. He will be 29 this month. After his second franchise, he's 30. Let him walk. If we were to start unloading older talent, we'd be better off still to franchise Spencer, lower the trade price down from 2 -1sts, and get something out of him.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, no one even addressed the idea of getting two 1st's, 2nd's and two 3rd's this year and three 1st's next year!

As far as Spencer is concerned, we can tag him this year and move him next year if needs be. that would lead to at least multiple 2nd round choices in 2015.

Keeping him adds some stability to an OLB core that runs a 3-4 with our new OLB B. Jenkins.

As for not having a back up QB, we can always sign a FA back up, i should have included that in my FA signings.

But no one is intrigued by the idea of drafting O line, D line, S, OLB and QB, WR and RB that could be groomed with the prospect of three 1st rounders for next year and the opportunity to take the player of our choice AND possibly trade Spencer to further advance our picks?

This would make us instantly younger and primed for a long series of championship runs, if we hit on most of our draft picks. But given J.G. drafts, the odds favor us there.

The age gap would then go from like 5-7 years to like 2-4 years. Thats pratically in half.
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would the salary cap implications be for such a house cleaning?

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
What would the salary cap implications be for such a house cleaning?

Not sure but considering Ware and Romo make a nice a chunk of change along with the other cuts, we should be alright.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: