Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars Narrow GM Search To Keim, Caldwell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Marc Ross must be the worst interviewer in the world, b/c his resume speaks for itself.
I'm guessing that he turned it down. Like you said, his resume speaks for itself. I think he's waiting on a marquee job to open up.

Hm. NFL execs named it the best job opened.

#JDI
Gene

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Marc Ross must be the worst interviewer in the world, b/c his resume speaks for itself.
I'm guessing that he turned it down. Like you said, his resume speaks for itself. I think he's waiting on a marquee job to open up.

This season, sure. But why not wait for a NE, CHI, SF, GB, etc type job when you're a top tier GM prospect? Jacksonville is not exactly a premier job.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

This season, sure. But why not wait for a NE, CHI, SF, GB, etc type job when you're a top tier GM prospect? Jacksonville is not exactly a premier job.

Most cap.
Two top-33 picks
Get to pick Head Coach.
Get to pick quarterback.
Patient, deep pocketed owner, willing to do whatever is needed to win.
Good weather.
Fan support no matter the record/situation.

#JDI
Gene

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Gene wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Most cap.
Two top-33 picks
Get to pick Head Coach.
Get to pick quarterback.
Patient, deep pocketed owner, willing to do whatever is needed to win.
Good weather.
Fan support no matter the record/situation.

Bad defense.
No QB in a very weak QB draft.
No idea whether the owner is actually patient, since he's new.
Second-most humid city in the US.
and you guys were in danger of having games blacked out just last season, brother. Sad

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2011/12/29/jacksonville-jaguars-nfl-blackout.html
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Corporate-sponsor-helps-Jags-avoid-blackout.html
http://www.news4jax.com/news/Jaguars-Get-Blackout-Deadline-Extension/-/475880/1944250/-/2slb5f/-/index.html
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Who is Marc Ross?

Also, i wish we got Gamble Sad

NYG's Director of College Scouting. Should have a job really.
Scouting director for probably the best drafting team of recent years. Wasn't even interviewed by Ted Philips last year and was a lot of Bears fans favorite (other than Eric DeCosta)

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Source?

Because the roster is devoid of talent for the most part.... ok there is cap space and room to work. What GM wants to turn almost everything completely around? I don't see how that could possibly be the best job considering there are teams who actually have a QB worthy of starting. And teams who aren't being connected to Tim Tebow. Laughing

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Source?

Because the roster is devoid of talent for the most part.... ok there is cap space and room to work. What GM wants to turn almost everything completely around? I don't see how that could possibly be the best job considering there are teams who actually have a QB worthy of starting. And teams who aren't being connected to Tim Tebow. Laughing

Quote:
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
I had more than 1 exec tell me they view Jacksonville as the best GM opening. I was surprised. Cited: Cap situation and rich, patient owner.

I hate the Jaguars
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Source?

Quote:
I had more than 1 exec tell me they view Jacksonville as the best GM opening. I was surprised. Cited: Cap situation and rich, patient owner.

I don't know how we can call Khan patient yet when it has been a season and he already fired the GM and maybe the coach. Laughing

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Source?

Quote:

I don't know how we can call Khan patient yet when it has been a season and he already fired the GM and maybe the coach. Laughing

Team was worse then last year, and instead of firing everyone mid season, let them stay and worked through some of the issues [went to outside sources to get roster input, etc].

This just isn't a homeristic approach, sadly, this is a job most think is a great one, despite the talent issues, but when you have the most cap, and the 2 high picks, it can be turned around quite fast in today's NFL. See, Washington, Indianapolis, Seattle, San Francisco, etc.

#JDI
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Why would those jobs become available?

When they eventually do, they probably won't be premier jobs anymore.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Gene wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Not to mention Chicago just turned over their GM.

#JDI
Gene

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Gene wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

It happens. Sometimes it just takes one bad season for a good team. The Bears job was still premier when it came open last year, The only drawback to it was that the moron 900-year old owner was in love with Lovie Smith, so the GM was required to keep him for one year before getting firing power over him.

2007 Giants (retirement), 2005 Packers (Head Coach couldn't handle both jobs after a while) are other examples of marquee GM jobs opening up.

The 2010 49ers job was a good one, but it happened right before the draft because the last guy's drinking problem got so bad that he was missing meetings at the combine, so I dunno if a real GM prospect from outside the organization could really come into that one. Unfortunately, with him gone, they let Mad Mike Singletary choose Taylor Mays.
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2005 Packers and the 2010 49ers were hardly "premier" jobs.

So he is supposed to stay put and hope that a flashy job opens up where he has some talent to fall back on in case he isn't that good? And he is supposed to hope that team likes him?

Not buying it. This isn't exactly like applying to be a desk clerk. There aren't that many NFL GM jobs available in the world. Only 32, actually. Less, even, if you want to get into technical blah blah.

Gene

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

That Packers job opened up right after the 04 season. They made the playoffs every year from 2001 to 2004, winning the NFC North in 3 of those 4 years. They had a franchise QB, legit offensive personnel around him, and the defense was 5th, 11th, and 12th in the league before dropping off in 2004. It's a huge football town with a crapload of prestige that free agents don't avoid. Added benefit of everyone above the GM not being football people, so no interference from the bosses. That's the definition of a premier job.

San Fran was a young team with a lot of good players in place from their few previous drafts. It's always been a destination free agents are ok with going to. It's another huge football town with that long, prestigious history that just has more drawing power than the Jacksonvilles and Carolinas of the world.

Quote:
So he is supposed to stay put and hope that a flashy job opens up where he has some talent to fall back on in case he isn't that good? And he is supposed to hope that team likes him?

Not buying it. This isn't exactly like applying to be a desk clerk. There aren't that many NFL GM jobs available in the world. Only 32, actually. Less, even, if you want to get into technical blah blah.
When you're the top guy, and I think Ross is one of two (with DeCosta), you can wait. I heard he had one of those DeCosta-type deals anyway, where he makes just as much as a GM so he won't bolt for a less-than-awesome job.
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

That Packers job opened up right after the 04 season. They made the playoffs every year from 2001 to 2004, winning the NFC North in 3 of those 4 years. They had a franchise QB, legit offensive personnel around him, and the defense was 5th, 11th, and 12th in the league before dropping off in 2004. It's a huge football town with a crapload of prestige that free agents don't avoid. Added benefit of everyone above the GM not being football people, so no interference from the bosses. That's the definition of a premier job.

San Fran was a young team with a lot of good players in place from their few previous drafts. It's always been a destination free agents are ok with going to. It's another huge football town with that long, prestigious history that just has more drawing power than the Jacksonvilles and Carolinas of the world.

Quote:

When you're the top guy, and I think Ross is one of two (with DeCosta), you can wait. I heard he had one of those DeCosta-type deals anyway, where he makes just as much as a GM so he won't bolt for a less-than-awesome job.

How is it attractive to go to a team where the old GM is still part of the organization? That clearly hurt them considering they went 4-12 that season. It was as premier as a job could probably get though compared to most, I'll admit that you're possibly right on that point (though it isn't as clearcut as you think since that was a severely aging team with some clear issues that I'm touching on), but it took a special circumstance that led to 3 of the next 4 seasons ending without a winning record.

A lot of teams appear to have young talent. Every team has young talent and potential. There are hardly truly talent-devoid rosters in this era of the NFL. The Colts roster is pretty bare and they went from 2-14 to 11-5 in the playoffs right now.

Isn't DeCosta basically the eventual replacement for Ozzie Newsome? How is that the same situation?

If Marc Ross wants to pass up on a bunch of GM opening in hopes that a rare one opens up that would wish to hire him then that's up to him. I think it's silly and I doubt it's truly the case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: