Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Doug Marrone to coach Buffalo Bills
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
jsnydes wrote:
So anyway, who do you guys think he will bring in as assistants. Doug Marrone that is. Not Lovie Smith. Laughing
Sorry, I'm done hijacking your thread. Laughing

I imagine most of his staff will be made up of his college staff.

Shafer and Hackett, his college coordinators are probably coming with him. Shafer I'm actually pretty good with, he's a great DC and I think can do wonders with the talent we have here.

Hackett I'm not sure of, think he might do well, or we might kick the tires on an OC with a bit of an NFL pedigree. Though it's not set in stone yet.

Who he picks for his assistants will go a long way in how successful he'll be right off the bat, I'm not expecting world beating or anything, but I hope we can at least hit .500 for the first time since 04'.

Still wish we got Lovie, but it's been a day, I'v mulled it over. I'm not OKAY with it, but he's our new HC and I'll just have to have faith.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
jsnydes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
jsnydes wrote:
So anyway, who do you guys think he will bring in as assistants. Doug Marrone that is. Not Lovie Smith. Laughing

Shafer and Hackett, his college coordinators are probably coming with him. Shafer I'm actually pretty good with, he's a great DC and I think can do wonders with the talent we have here.

Hackett I'm not sure of, think he might do well, or we might kick the tires on an OC with a bit of an NFL pedigree. Though it's not set in stone yet.

Who he picks for his assistants will go a long way in how successful he'll be right off the bat, I'm not expecting world beating or anything, but I hope we can at least hit .500 for the first time since 04'.

Still wish we got Lovie, but it's been a day, I'v mulled it over. I'm not OKAY with it, but he's our new HC and I'll just have to have faith.

My understanding is that Marrone is a pretty good offensive mind. That makes me a little concerned about his defensive staff. Do either of those guys have any NFL experience?

TommyC376^^^
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnydes wrote:
Thelonebillsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
jsnydes wrote:

My understanding is that Marrone is a pretty good offensive mind. That makes me a little concerned about his defensive staff. Do either of those guys have any NFL experience?

Neither have NFL experience, Shafer has extensive college experience but that's it.

That's my main concern if he brings them with him, is how they'll adapt and handle the NFL.

Though Shafer sounds like negative-Wannstedt:

Quote:
"We're an attack defense; scheme is overrated. All schemes can work if you tackle and keep the ball in front. We're an aggressive defense, force the offense's hand. We're going to stop the run on early downs and force the pass. We'll get situations where when we are forcing the pass, we hit the quarterback, forcing him to throw the ball into coverage

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
Gene

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:

Quote:
"We're an attack defense; scheme is overrated. All schemes can work if you tackle and keep the ball in front. We're an aggressive defense, force the offense's hand. We're going to stop the run on early downs and force the pass. We'll get situations where when we are forcing the pass, we hit the quarterback, forcing him to throw the ball into coverage

You forgot the "said every D Coordinator ever." on the end of it.
jsnydes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
jsnydes wrote:
Thelonebillsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
jsnydes wrote:

Neither have NFL experience, Shafer has extensive college experience but that's it.

That's my main concern if he brings them with him, is how they'll adapt and handle the NFL.

Quote:

Sounds like Greg Schiano and Tampa. I believe in that philosophy to some extent.

TommyC376^^^
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is still the possibility that schaffer could take over at HC
swolfdab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
jsnydes wrote:

One of them might stay behind to take over as the Syracuse HC.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't just the Bills...

Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers met with Doug Marrone Saturday evening before the ex-Syracuse coach reached a deal to take the Bills' coach reins.
The Bolts' brass was "extremely impressed" with Marrone, but it wasn't technically an interview. A source categorized the meeting as a chance to get to know Marrone well enough to determine if an interview would be forthcoming. The Chargers are reportedly "ready for a change" with their new head coach, which suggests it won't be a retread this time around. They're expected to make on a decision on Jimmy Raye III or Tom Telesco for the GM position "in a day or two."

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
jsnydes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said today that his coordinators will have "extensive NFL experience." Can we start the Lovie for DC campaign?

TommyC376^^^
EccentricFan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnydes wrote:
He said today that his coordinators will have "extensive NFL experience." Can we start the Lovie for DC campaign?

I've been secretly hoping for this since Marrone was announced, as unlikely as I know it is to happen. Although if we really want that to happen, we need to figure out some way to convince all the front offices for the remaining HC options not to sign him for the big job.

Maybe he'd prefer a DC role to no job at all. It's a long shot, but I can dream.
BrotherlyLove

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
It wasn't just the Bills...

Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers met with Doug Marrone Saturday evening before the ex-Syracuse coach reached a deal to take the Bills' coach reins.
The Bolts' brass was "extremely impressed" with Marrone, but it wasn't technically an interview. A source categorized the meeting as a chance to get to know Marrone well enough to determine if an interview would be forthcoming. The Chargers are reportedly "ready for a change" with their new head coach, which suggests it won't be a retread this time around. They're expected to make on a decision on Jimmy Raye III or Tom Telesco for the GM position "in a day or two."

Eagles and Browns had interest as well

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/01/05/kelly-interviews-with-eagles-browns-meet-with-marrone-for-2nd-time/#.UOj3nSa7Lv4.twitter

I think Marrone is a much better hire than most seem to think around here. Studied under Payton, then went and turned around an abysmal Syrcuse program that got ran into the ground by Greg Robinson. I think he'll maximize the talent the Bills have and turn this team around, though assembling a solid staff, especially the coordinators, will be key.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good article from PFT.

Quote:
Now with former Saints offensive coordinator Doug Marrone, who worked for the Saints from 2006 through 2008, running the show in Buffalo, Marrone could be trying to make a run at Carmichael.

Marrone trying to get Carmichael?

Not sure if I see it happening but it would be really cool if we could get Carmichael from NO. But theres this QB named Brees who is pretty good there i think, so I dont see him leaving.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that fact that he is a former OLineman. Hopefully he has the "run to set up the pass" mentality and uses CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson in the right way.

I am excited to see who he brings in as DC. He stated he wanted his DC to have NFL experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnydes wrote:

Quote:
@RichCimini: Confirmed that Bills have requested permission from Jets to speak with DC Mike Pettine for same position, as reported by @footballscoop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: