Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Biggest Questions heading into the Off-season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halradio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Biggest Questions heading into the Off-season Reply with quote

After a season where the Rams exceeded expectations on virtually every front there are questions heading into the off-season. The answers to these questions will go a long way to deteriming if the Rams can take the next step from also ran to contender.

1. How will the Rams go about creating cap space.

As per the St Louis Dispatch article below the Rams are only 2 mil under the projected 2013 cap space

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-have-tough-calls-to-make-on-free-agents/article_d60bba43-a90d-5dc6-9596-70f69bc70303.html

In short forget about going after the likes of Jake Long - the Rams are going to have a tough enough time keeping Danny Amendola in the fold.

As the above article pointed out the obvious answer is to re-structure the contacts of SJAX and Mikel. However, there is no guarantee that will work out and cutting either one will create a major hole on their respective side of the ball.

2. What to do about Steven Jackson

There are no easy answers for ths one. For many a season SJAX was the one bright spot on many a dismal Rams squad.

On the other hand there is no denying the fact injuries and age are taking their toll. He only topped 100 yards in two contests this season and managed to find the end zone all of 4 times.

Granted suspect run blocking and game calling did affect his production. That being said, the question remains whether SJAX can be a true 20+ carry workhorse RB.

3. Who is the highest priority Rams FA after Amendola.

IMO resigning Bradford's favorite target is a no brainer. However, after Danny the Rams will have to make some hard choices.

Brandon Gibson - He accounted for a significant part of the 2012 Rams passing offense and scored the most receiving TDs (5)

Barry Richardson - He held down the RT spot and was better than expected.

William Hayes - He was third in sacks with 7

Rob Turner - As pointed out in the St Louis Rams Dispatch played a key role in patching holes in the Rams o-line as injuries took their toll.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Questions heading into the Off-season Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
1. How will the Rams go about creating cap space.

As per the St Louis Dispatch article below the Rams are only 2 mil under the projected 2013 cap space

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-have-tough-calls-to-make-on-free-agents/article_d60bba43-a90d-5dc6-9596-70f69bc70303.html
Other places are reporting $10mil as our current cap space for 2013. That sounds more correct, $2mil almost sounds like what is left from this season.

Just saying, its still not alot, but its not in dire circumstances either.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Questions heading into the Off-season Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Other places are reporting $10mil as our current cap space for 2013. That sounds more correct, $2mil almost sounds like what is left from this season.

I just went through the Cap Hits for the 2013 season, and we are looking at a total of about $114~115 million. And unless there is some hidden bonuses that amount to another $4~5 million the $2 million number is off. From what I remember in years past, Jim Thomas has never been good about the cap and reporting accurate numbers for the Rams. I just dont think he has a guy/source that keeps tract of all that.

I think that number is coming from an article that Mike Florio put up about Cap left for 2012, during discussions about trading DeAngelo Williams and how it would effect the Panthers this season & next season.

I also think in the new CBA, that you are allowed to roll up some of the extra cap from this year to next, which would move the $7ish mil to $9ish mil and make that $10 million number seem more likely. And these potential/obvious cuts would give us more room;

Steven Jackson: $8.89 Million
Wayne Hunter: $3.95 Million
Chris Williams: $1.25 Million
Matthew Mulligan: $725,000

Just those 4 guys would add almost another $15mil to the cap space we already have. So even if the low number is correct, we are still looking at like $17mil, but its probably closer to $25mil
Halradio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams and Hunter are probably not going to be retained.

Steven Jackson is going to be a harder decision and IMO will go a long way in determining the course of this off season
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Questions heading into the Off-season Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:

I just went through the Cap Hits for the 2013 season, and we are looking at a total of about $114~115 million. And unless there is some hidden bonuses that amount to another $4~5 million the $2 million number is off. From what I remember in years past, Jim Thomas has never been good about the cap and reporting accurate numbers for the Rams. I just dont think he has a guy/source that keeps tract of all that.

I think that number is coming from an article that Mike Florio put up about Cap left for 2012, during discussions about trading DeAngelo Williams and how it would effect the Panthers this season & next season.

I also think in the new CBA, that you are allowed to roll up some of the extra cap from this year to next, which would move the $7ish mil to $9ish mil and make that $10 million number seem more likely. And these potential/obvious cuts would give us more room;

Steven Jackson: $8.89 Million
Wayne Hunter: $3.95 Million
Chris Williams: $1.25 Million
Matthew Mulligan: $725,000

Just those 4 guys would add almost another $15mil to the cap space we already have. So even if the low number is correct, we are still looking at like $17mil, but its probably closer to $25mil

There is some dead money. About 4 million. So he's right. But we can open up more than enough cap room with cuts.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Hoj398

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williams hayes, amendola will be resigned in my opinion.

Hayes - 3 years 7 million
Amendola - 4 years 16 million
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Questions heading into the Off-season Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
There is some dead money. About 4 million. So he's right. But we can open up more than enough cap room with cuts.
Even if there is, we can bring the leftover cap over (I think it was up to $5m or something like that, and we only have about $2m from '12).

And all this is before figuring out the Quintin Mikell Situation, which could save us at the least $3m, possibly $9m, while more likely somewhere in-between with a restructure.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Questions heading into the Off-season Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
IMO resigning Bradford's favorite target is a no brainer. However, after Danny the Rams will have to make some hard choices.
At what cost? Can we afford to give big money to a guy who can't stay healthy?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with letting Danny go, I hope the Rams don't pay him #2 WR money.

IMO, resigning William Hayes is far more important
S-jax39

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honeo see us resigning Hayes. Some team is going to give him a decent payday imo.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:

I dont know if the word I would use is "fine", but there are scenarios that I can see where we let him walk and I can understand it.

If we can fit him in, and the contract makes sense then good. But I feel if that were the situation, we would have extended him at this point, or atleast heard of talks.
MISTA314

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:

X2

Although i love Danny's heart and passion for the game, his durability is a serious concern. If he can get #2 money somewhere else I'd be happy for him and send him on his way. Chris Givens has proven that he's more than capable of being Bradford's new security blanket. Besides i think he's better suited for the slot anyway.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
holt_bruce81 wrote:

I dont know if the word I would use is "fine", but there are scenarios that I can see where we let him walk and I can understand it.

If we can fit him in, and the contract makes sense then good. But I feel if that were the situation, we would have extended him at this point, or atleast heard of talks.
Agree. Les Snead wasted no time with Chris Long and James Laurinaitis. If Danny is searching for the big bucks, he won't get them here.

If he wants to be part of a raising franchise and accept respectable money, I have no problem with him staying.

chris00cm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MISTA314 wrote:
holt_bruce81 wrote:

X2

Although i love Danny's heart and passion for the game, his durability is a serious concern. If he can get #2 money somewhere else I'd be happy for him and send him on his way. Chris Givens has proven that he's more than capable of being Bradford's new security blanket. Besides i think he's better suited for the slot anyway.

Eh, I like Chris Givens on the outside. He's kinda got that Mike Wallace dynamic to him. Just need to get another big guy to play on the opposite side of him.

S-jax39

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:
holt_bruce81 wrote:

Agree. Les Snead wasted no time with Chris Long and James Laurinaitis. If Danny is searching for the big bucks, he won't get them here.

If he wants to be part of a raising franchise and accept respectable money, I have no problem with him staying.

I think he stays, I dont think many teams will be THAT interested in him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: