Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tell me a lil about Andy Reid...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiefer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Tell me a lil about Andy Reid... Reply with quote

Hey there Iggles fans! We just hired you're old coach and I come asking with your wealth of knowledge what kind of coach is it I should be expecting?

I'm expecting tons of negativity after these last two years, but that's okay because it honestly can't be any worse then Crennel so be as brutally honest as you want. I mean his nickname is "Big Red" how much more perfect of a fit is that then the Chiefs? The only reason we snagged is we brought out the BBQ anyways. Laughing

Tell me about his offense(What type of offense is it? I've heard an offshoot of WCO, but also heard not so much), defense(particularly interested here because we run a 34 and he's a 43 guy, is he willing to change? I find the answer here will be no...), special teams, draft strategies, and of course his Jedi maneuvering skills when it comes to Free Agency and the like. I have an idea, but a little more info would be fantastic.

Thanks again, Chiefer.

Last edited by Chiefer on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Reid will build the Chiefs into a good team. But he isn't a perfect coach, and some of his attributes either make him successful or a failure.

Let's cut straight to the chase. Andy likes being the father figure of his team. He will be the meat shield for all his players. That makes his players love him.

He also gives chances to guys who would otherwise not have a chance in the NFL. This also makes his players love him.

The pro: His players typically play hard for him throughout the season.
The con: His players might be undersized and lacking skill, and Andy will stay loyal to them.

Expect to have a strong back up quarterback and a good, pass catching RB who can block.
If your RB can't pass block, he won't be on the Andy Reid team. But we've had Westbrook and McCoy, so Andy knows his running backs.

He loves to pass. Expect your QB to grow as a passer. If Andy can do one thing, he can develop a passer. But again, Andy is too loyal and will stick with a guy through thick and thin.

His drafts are average. Let someone else draft for him.
I don't know if Andy has any preference for defense, but I don't think he would ever employ a 3-4.

Expect blown time outs. Andy will take the TO over risking a bad situation. Which is sometimes good, but often bites you in the behind.

Expect failed challenges. Andy is bad with challenges and will throw the flag if his players tell him to.

What else? I'm sure the guys around here can help.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't he been pretty decent with Challenges the past at least 2 years?

He's and offensive minded HC, he will hire a DC and let him decide if you stay with the 3-4 or change to 4-3. I think his only relations is with 4-3 DC's though.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
birdman0069

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys will win a lot of games.
The media will hate him.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Blahman88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time's Yours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Roughly a 70/30 pass run ratio
-Charles will get limited touches in the run game (will be more involved in the pass game)
-Burns timeouts at the worst time possible
-Always loses challenges
-Likes small, fast players (undersized)
-Highly values 'character' guys (not necessarily a bad thing)

Those are some negatives about Andy. A little harsh, but he certainly has some massive deficiencies. A thing that always bothered us Eagle fans was his failure to make in-game adjustments. With that being said, Big Red is a great coach. The past two years have left a sour taste in our mouths, but Andy's 14 years as a whole were highly accomplished. He really changed the culture of the Eagles franchise and put us on the map. He should be able to help lure in free agents and such.

A critical thing about Reid is that he's a master at developing QB's. He got a lot out of Vick, made Kolb seem like a potential franchise QB, and really helped shield some of McNabb's flaws. If you guys draft a guy like Geno Smith, he'll certainly be in good hands.

It's interesting to note though that Andy failed to win a playoff game after the death of Jim Johnson in 2009 (after 2008 season). In regards to your questions about the defense, it all comes down to who Andy hires. I think he should stick with the 3-4, but he'll probably bring one of his own guys in to run a 4-3. You guys should be fine in that regard, as long as Juan Castillo's not coaching the D lol.

^Thanks to McNabbNo5 for the sig, Phire for the avy
UKEaglesFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll look to primarily build his team in a way to beat the other teams in the division first.

He's pretty pass happy, and it's pass to set up the run, with short passes, screens and shovel passes in his eyes all being part of the running game.

He'll also make some completely out of left field coaching hires if recent years are anything to go by.

Juan Castillo is an offensive line coach, if he gets another job, that's wrong. You want to hope he hires and experienced D'cordinator and he'll give him full control.

You don't want Tom Heckert.
Jeezla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy doesn't have a defense. His coordinators starting with Jim Johnson have all used the 4-3 with different wrinkles here and there, but aside from drafting defensive players as a GM, Andy doesn't really touch that side of the ball. He leaves it in the hands of his defensive coaches and sticks to the offensive side of the ball.
As an offensive coach Andy started out with a very traditional WC offense utilizing the TE's, quick routes, and screen passes. Our RB's have always been able to catch out of the backfield and block. He also prefers shifty big-play backs like Charles over workhorse north/south guys like Turner and Lynch, but if Charles cant block, Andy won't be happy. Over the years, our traditional WC offense has evolved into more of a vertical passing offense with an emphasis on play action fakes and big plays deep down field to speedy WR's. When the OL can hold it's own, Andy likes to use the TE's up the seams and underneath, but if his qb is taking hits, like ours were all year, then the TE will basically be asked to help block all game and you lose a dimension of your O. There's really no telling which offense Andy will begin with in KC or if he'll even call his own plays. I also can't recall us ever having good special teams under Andy. We may get the occasional DJax home run (none this year), but our coverage units have always been sketchy and he never seemed to really care about having a great punter, so our field position was always a losing battle. He's not a very good drafter aside from RB. He ignored the LB position for about 12 years. You will never learn anything from his press conferences. You will pass 70 percent of the time no matter how good your rb is and how bad your qb is.

Kilty Sig '15 Wish List: L Collins, D Perryman, D Greenberry, C Davis, T Coleman, E McCarthy. Fire BillyD!?

Last edited by Jeezla on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
JayAp07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Jeremiah Trotter said will certainly give you some insight:

Remember that this guy played for Andy for 7 years and was one of our best defensive players and a team leader.

Quote:
“If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent’s team would win if it came down to coaching,” Trotter said on 97.5 The Fanatic, via Philly.com. “Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games,” Trotter continued. “Time outs, running the football, you know.”

Trotter said Reid’s offensive style made things different for the defense and the late defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, who ran the defense in Philadelphia until his death in 2008.

“As a defense, we understood we passed the ball too much. You know, there’s times we’re sitting over there like, ‘Man, listen. Just get us a couple of first downs so we can get a break.’ And I’m sure it frustrated Jim Johnson also,” Trotter said

2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://media.nbcphiladelphia.com/images/467*350/ANDYreid.13jpg.jpg
[/img]

~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
1,628 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 82.0 Passer Rating
green24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAp07 wrote:
I think what Jeremiah Trotter said will certainly give you some insight:

Remember that this guy played for Andy for 7 years and was one of our best defensive players and a team leader.

Quote:
“If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent’s team would win if it came down to coaching,” Trotter said on 97.5 The Fanatic, via Philly.com. “Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games,” Trotter continued. “Time outs, running the football, you know.”

Trotter said Reid’s offensive style made things different for the defense and the late defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, who ran the defense in Philadelphia until his death in 2008.

“As a defense, we understood we passed the ball too much. You know, there’s times we’re sitting over there like, ‘Man, listen. Just get us a couple of first downs so we can get a break.’ And I’m sure it frustrated Jim Johnson also,” Trotter said

I love Trotter. One of my favorite non-Jets ever.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys got a lot of useful information.

So there are some good positives, but a lot of negatives, I figured as much.

We're already used to faster, smaller players here in KC(Charles, McCluster, Arenas, Wiley, etc) so I guess we're not that far off base.

Will Reid look to keep Dwayne Bowe? He's not a small guy, nor is he the fastest, but I think he'd be a good fit in the WCO. He's deadly with YAC and on Slant routes. KC doesn't have a deep threat per se, Jonathan Baldwin could be but seems more like another big possession guy, so will we be targeting guys like that in the draft or look to FA like Mike Wallace?

How is he with leaving players in general? Does he look to keep them, KC has key ones, Bowe already mentioned, Branden Albert a damn good LT, Colquitt the punter. I feel since he's a player coach he'll try to get them to buy in and keep them as much as possible but since this is a new team maybe not.

As for the passing thing, I'm definitely fine with it. Us Chiefs fans wonder what a pass even looks like, particularly coming out of a competent QB's hands so it'll be nice change of pace.

Charles makes the most out of nothing continuously, he's had to deal with overloaded run blitzes and stacked defenders in the box for years and will still hit the Homerun. Limited touches will be frustrating(especially since I bought a Charles jersey lol), but I'm fine with it. Especially if Charles for once in his career has a passing attack that can open things up for him. I can only imagine how great he'll play. He's gotten a lot better at blocking over the years, but I'm sure Reid will be on him to get better. He's also a solid pass catcher, so good fit all around.

As far as drafting goes, will he really skip the QB at #1 overall? KC hasn't drafted one in the first for so long its hard for me to stomach that with the first pick we'll go a different direction. Most people seem to think that he'll go to a linemen in the first, and QB 2nd. I'd rather he go QB 1 and 2 personally...

I've heard John Dorsey from the Packers will be the next GM, at least that's the big rumor, Heckert may even join as well. The defensive will really be up in the air at that point, I've heard he tried to target Todd Bowles in Philly so maybe he brings him to KC for the 34...

All in all seems like a vastly upgraded version of Romeo Crennel(Players coach, bad in game adjustments, clock management, TO management, but you know he's actually a Great HC and has proven to be great one opposed to Crennel) So that's great to hear.

Last edited by Chiefer on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite all his flaws, I think Andy's going to make a contender out of Kansas City without question. Might not be immediate, but by season 2 you should be around .500.

Depends what happens are QB. I could see Andy taking Geno. Andy loves quarterbacks.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Jeezla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Despite all his flaws, I think Andy's going to make a contender out of Kansas City without question. Might not be immediate, but by season 2 you should be around .500.

Depends what happens are QB. I could see Andy taking Geno. Andy loves quarterbacks.

How good they are will depend entirely on how good their D coordinator is. KC needs to hope Andy finds another JJ to carry his erratic O.

Kilty Sig '15 Wish List: L Collins, D Perryman, D Greenberry, C Davis, T Coleman, E McCarthy. Fire BillyD!?
Phire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
Phire wrote:

How good they are will depend entirely on how good their D coordinator is. KC needs to hope Andy finds another JJ to carry his erratic O.

Andy found a guy like Johnson once, he can do it again.
And I love how Jim Johnson is enshrined by everyone. His defenses had problems too.

RainbowCarebear wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: