Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wildcard Weekend Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbens06

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Wildcard Weekend Mock Reply with quote

Rodgers and the offense is getting hot at the perfect time and our defense shapes up giving us a nice run to the Superbowl against Denver, where the Packers win!

Retirements/Cuts/Not Resigned
Donald Driver: Driver has stated he wants to play until he is 40, but with no contract and another Superbowl victory he can ride off into the sunset on a high note. Driver has seen his playing time significantly decrease. Driver may be more inclined to come back if Jennings is gone, but with Nelson, Jones, and Cobb clearly ahead of him he may not want another 5 plays a game season.
Jeff Saturday: He was never the answer to the C position; rather, he was a stopgap, which happened to be shorter then expected.
Greg Jennings: I would love to be able to keep Jennings for a 3-4 year deal, but the money most likely will not be there and with Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji all needing extensions, Jennings is the odd man out. I think that Cobb has shown he can be just as effective in the slot as Jennings and with Nelson and Jones outside he is “expendable”. A tag and trade idea is possible, seeing we could essentially just “rent” him for the year if no trade comes to fruition, but there would be a lot of risk for TT to do that and if we did “rent” him for that year, we would not be able to allocate that money elsewhere until he is off the books.

Resignings
Evan Dietrich-Smith: EDS is a tough and gritty player that has been solid in the relief appearance he has made. He has a lot of versatility, being able to play all interior spots of the line, giving him a lot of value to us. He is a good utility guy to have and gives the line flexibility. It looks like he is going to be given every opportunity to win the starting C position next year.
Sam Shields: Shields is a restricted free agent and I feel will get the highest tender level. The money would not be that much and if someone would bite on him we would be getting a high return on him.
Frank Zombo: Zombo has been injured for most of last year and so far all of this year. If Zombo can come off the PUP list and provide solid depth/special teams I think he will earn a spot for training camp. I think that it will be much like Walden where he is not signed immediately, but after a couple weeks into free agency he will be brought back for league minimum. At worst he is a camp body to bring competition to the roster.
Erik Walden: Initially I did not think he would be back, but so far this year he has been pretty good as a rotational player/spot starter that can play both sides. He can keep guys fresh and provides good depth. Ultimately I think he signs another short and small contract bringing him in for next season.
Brad Jones: Jones has learned inside backer, already knows outside backer and he is a solid special teams guy. He might have earned a little more money by playing pretty well at inside linebacker, but I do not think it will break the bank to sign him.
Tom Crabtree: Crabtree has been a solid blocker and special teams player throughout his career. He has been used more as a receiver this year than any other year.

Free Agency
I am intrigued by some people that could be available, and could come cheap, but Thompson is not a huge player in free agency. As a result, I am not including any major signings.

Draft
I think we do receive at least one compensatory pick; I will put this as a 4th. Flynn may not play a ton, but he did get paid a good chunk for this year. My guess is Wells is offset by Saturday’s signing. Looking back on players that garnered a 3rd were the massive contracts/”superstar” signings like Peppers and probably Williams this year.

Also, I know there will be some question to whether some of the guys last to our pick, but it is still early in the process and I tried to give reasons why a certain player may fall.

1. Jonathan Hankins DT/DE 6’3 330lbs Ohio State

I know this seems like a long shot, especially at 32, but a couple of things come into play making Hankins a possibility at 32. First, guys like Richardson, Floyd, and Logan (assuming all three come out) could/most likely will perform very well at the combine. All three are already considered first round guys and a good combine could really push them up. Second, Hankins is a different type of player then the aforementioned three. Hankins is a bigger player that does not offer as much of a pass rush. With the league a pass first league, pass rushing interior lineman are more valuable than a space eating run stuffer. Talent wise I think Hankins is a top 20 player, but because of the above mentioned reasons I have him available at 32 (even if it is wishful thinking). As for Hankins, he is someone that can contribute to our defensive line immediately and in the future. He is a big body guy that is very good at stopping the run. He is a big body guy that is capable of taking on and holding his ground against multiple blockers. He does a good job at disengaging, locating, and getting to the ball. He has shown surprisingly good feet for a guy his size and has a good first step coming off the ball. Essentially, he is/can be a younger and more active Pickett for our defensive line. His pass rushing is his knock. He is more of a power rusher that will walk his man back into the quarterback. He is not going to do what Worthy, Daniels, or Neal does from a pass rush, but he will occupy blockers and free up guys like Matthews and Perry to make plays or at least have more favorable matchups. I think he can offer a little more than Pickett does in the pass rush, but not head and shoulders above him. A line of Hankins—Raji—Pickett would be a very good run stopping defensive line. Plus we would still have Wilson to rotate in. Also, I think that Hankins can be used in the two lineman sets, much like Raji is, and keep Raji fresher. Overall, Hankins would give us an heir apparent to Pickett and someone to play opposite of him on running downs.

2. Robert Woods WR 6’1 190lbs USC

I have seen his name come up a couple of times in other mocks and like his fit. This is not a overly talented receiving class and guys like Hunter, Allen, Patterson, Austin, and Williams could all hear their names called before Woods. Woods did not have the statistics like years prior, which can be attributed to an ankle injury he fought through and an offense that struggled in replacing Kalil and giving Barkley time to throw. Also, Lee continued his rise as a top receiving threat. However, Woods is still a solid prospect. He has good size and speed to play inside or outside. He does a good job of running his routes and gaining separation on his man. He has good quickness in and out of his cuts and shows a good burst when going after the ball. The thing that fits well with the Packers is he does a good job with the ball in his hands. He sets up his blockers well and has good top end speed to out run guys. He also has good awareness in finding lanes to run through and gain extra yards. I think that our receiving trio of Nelson—Jones—Cobb is solid, but Jones will be on his last year of his contract during the 2013 season and Nelson and Cobb will be in the 2nd to last year of their deals. Also, Woods helps us replenish our depth with loosing Driver and Jennings.

3. Kahled Holmes OC/OG 6’4 310lbs USC

Holmes may not be an elite center prospect, but he his someone that we can bring in and compete with EDS. Holmes senior season was a disappointment compared to how he did as a sophomore and junior. He was beat a few more times this year than years past, but he still has potential at the next level. It looks like Holmes might need to add some more strength/bulk to his frame, which looks like he has room to grow, to be a more consistent blocker. Holmes did do a good job of getting the offensive line set and adjusting calls based on the look given. Also, he has shown a good, quick first step off the ball with the ability to mirror defenders when pass blocking. He was a mainstay blocker for Barkley throughout his career, playing both guard and center over his three year starting career. Holmes is an athletic lineman that has a good frame and skill set to work with. He can fill the role EDS played this year for us, assuming he does not win the job, as a swing interior lineman. Between Sherrod, Newhouse, Lang, EDS, Sitton, Bulaga, Barclay, and Holmes we would have more balanced depth across our line. I think Holmes would be an upgrade in what we have in Van Rotten and be can be someone to push EDS.

4. Michael Buchanan DE/OLB 6’6 240lbs

Buchanan had a good junior year opposite of Mercilus, but his senior year did not live up to expectations. Buchanan has shown good speed and power combination to beat tackles and get after the quarterback. However, he does not consistently play with that speed and power combination. He is a pretty fluid athlete that has some experience in dropping into coverage. He does a good job with his hands, but he does not fight off of blocks too well once the lineman becomes engaged with him. Overall, he is someone we would use as a situational rusher behind Matthews and Perry. He can compete with Moses, Walden and Zombo for a backup spot. If we can get someone that can get a consistent pass rush while Clay takes a breather it could do wonders for our defense. I like the potential Moses showed when Clay was out, but you can never have enough pass rushers.

4. Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB 6’1 190lbs Connecticut

Wreh-Wilson is rising up boards right now and may rise out of the fourth round. He has a good combination of size and speed. He could stand to add a little weight to his frame to handle the physicality of the NFL better. I think that he is someone that can be a corner/safety tweener for us. He does a good job in zone and man coverages, but does have some concerns with the latter. Overall, this is a value pick for a guy that can come in and compete in our secondary. I personally, like the corners and depth of corners on our roster. However, Shields will be on a restricted free agent tender contract and if we cannot get a long term deal done Wreh-Wilson will have had a year of development in our system to absorb the loss. Also, I think that between Woodson, McMillian, Jennings, and Burnett is a solid safety group that is going to continue to develop.

5. Nick Kasa TE 6’5 260lbs Colorado

Kasa may rise up draft boards a little more (based on athletic ability), but he is still raw for a tightend. He transitioned over from playing defensive end and has been a nice target for Colorado. He has great size to create mismatches against safties and he has good speed that usually outmatches most linebackers. He might need a little more time in learning the nuisances of the position, but his athletic ability is intriguing. I feel that Finley’s play the past couple of weeks has kept him on the roster for next season and after that it is up in the air. Kasa is someone that we can work slowly with to develop behind Finley. Kasa has flashed the ability to stretch the field.

6. Chris Harper WR 6’1 228lbs Kansas State

Harper was a consistent and reliable target for Kansas State this year. He is a former quarterback that made the switch a couple of years ago to wideout, so he is still learning the route tree and technique of route running. However, he has good, reliable hands. He is a strong receiver that does a good job blocking. Adding another late round receiver to our core gives us another guy to develop and possibly keep on the practice squad.

7. Washaun Ealey RB 5’11 215lbs Jacksonville State

Ealey started his career at Georgia, and looked to have a promising career, before clashes with the coaching staff and his transfer to Jacksonville State. His play is similar to Knowshon Moreno. He is not the fastest back, but he has good blend of balance, power, and cutting ability. Personally, I think that moving forward with Green/Starks/Harris is not the end of the world. Green has shown promise as a shotgun back; Starks has played well (when he is healthy) as a single back; and Harris has been a nice change of pace back for us. I think that the combination of the three can be effective enough for us to win games.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That my friend is a thing of beauty.

Not the biggest on Holmes, but will be a quality back-up.
Blidi to learn from Bush/Wood, I like it
Kasa is a gamble, but could pay off. As you said, nuances, body control, field awareness, etc.
Harper would be fantastic. Used to be a QB if I remember right.
Easley is the only guy on the list I object to. Rumors of character problems.
rbens06

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:

Kasa is a gamble, but could pay off. As you said, nuances, body control, field awareness, etc.

I debated about going with another prospect because he reportedly clashed with the Georgia staff leading to his departure for Jacksonville State and then he does have 2 arrests. However, the risk is very minimal as a seventh round pick and the reward could be high. He was Georgia's starting running back as a sophomore and performed fairly well, averaging over 5 yards a carrier in the SEC. From years past it looks like TT would stay away from him, but I just thought he would be an intriguing prospect to take a flier on.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

I debated about going with another prospect because he reportedly clashed with the Georgia staff leading to his departure for Jacksonville State and then he does have 2 arrests. However, the risk is very minimal as a seventh round pick and the reward could be high. He was Georgia's starting running back as a sophomore and performed fairly well, averaging over 5 yards a carrier in the SEC. From years past it looks like TT would stay away from him, but I just thought he would be an intriguing prospect to take a flier on.

Maysonet, Jefferson, Winn, Wingo Jr, maybe Marshall if he falls that far?
The Kuhn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed feelings on this mock.

Probably my favorite first 3 rounds so far out of anybody.

Hankins is literally my favorite LDE prospect in this draft (realistically of cousre, as there is no way Lotulelei lasts until our pick). Ideal replacement for Pickett because of the points you highlighted.. You have me praying he lasts until our pick Pray

Woods is a really solid WR pick that will most likely make it to the 2nd half of the 2nd round. That ankle really killed his stock but may have been a blessing in disguise. He relied heavily on his speed up this year and since he was hobbled he had to find other ways to seperate. Not my favorite WR prospect but he's up there and is a steal at 64.

I like Holmes a lot and considered using him in my last mock. With a strong senior campaign he could have been the top C drafted but he fell short. I don't think he beats out EDS and I'm glad you addressed it. 96 is a safe place to take a chance on him.

Don't know much about Buchanan but I don't like that he hasn't produced without Mercilus in the lineup. Don't like that pickup.

I like Wreh-Wilson's height and potential for versatility and thats about it.

Kasa is meh. He has good size, I'll give you that but there really isn't that much to like about him yet. He is someone I'd be fine taking a chance on in the 7th or 6th but I think the 5th is stretching it. I'm nitpicking here but I don't really like Kasa too much.

Harper is underrated and while I like him as a prospect (especially in the 6th) but where does Harper fit on the roster once we give Woods a draft spot? He sure isn't going to take Boykins spot. Unless he can return kicks I don't see him making the roster, then again there are few 6th rounders we pick up that probably WILL make the roster...

I actually dont mind Ealey so much for us. With such a deep roster and practice squad I see TT taking alot more chances on prospects with potentially high ceilings in the 7th (much like he did last year with Datko and Coleman). Ealey has close to the size TT looks for and some reciving ability as well. If he pans out great! If not, no biggie.

I think you started out HOT but the middle and bottom half of your draft left me wanting more. You targeted alot of the needs this team has in pretty good positions. Overall, pretty good effort! Keep 'em coming!
rbens06

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kuhn wrote:
Mixed feelings on this mock.

Probably my favorite first 3 rounds so far out of anybody.

Hankins is literally my favorite LDE prospect in this draft (realistically of cousre, as there is no way Lotulelei lasts until our pick). Ideal replacement for Pickett because of the points you highlighted.. You have me praying he lasts until our pick Pray

Woods is a really solid WR pick that will most likely make it to the 2nd half of the 2nd round. That ankle really killed his stock but may have been a blessing in disguise. He relied heavily on his speed up this year and since he was hobbled he had to find other ways to seperate. Not my favorite WR prospect but he's up there and is a steal at 64.

I like Holmes a lot and considered using him in my last mock. With a strong senior campaign he could have been the top C drafted but he fell short. I don't think he beats out EDS and I'm glad you addressed it. 96 is a safe place to take a chance on him.

Don't know much about Buchanan but I don't like that he hasn't produced without Mercilus in the lineup. Don't like that pickup.

I like Wreh-Wilson's height and potential for versatility and thats about it.

Kasa is meh. He has good size, I'll give you that but there really isn't that much to like about him yet. He is someone I'd be fine taking a chance on in the 7th or 6th but I think the 5th is stretching it. I'm nitpicking here but I don't really like Kasa too much.

Harper is underrated and while I like him as a prospect (especially in the 6th) but where does Harper fit on the roster once we give Woods a draft spot? He sure isn't going to take Boykins spot. Unless he can return kicks I don't see him making the roster, then again there are few 6th rounders we pick up that probably WILL make the roster...

I actually dont mind Ealey so much for us. With such a deep roster and practice squad I see TT taking alot more chances on prospects with potentially high ceilings in the 7th (much like he did last year with Datko and Coleman). Ealey has close to the size TT looks for and some reciving ability as well. If he pans out great! If not, no biggie.

I think you started out HOT but the middle and bottom half of your draft left me wanting more. You targeted alot of the needs this team has in pretty good positions. Overall, pretty good effort! Keep 'em coming!

I know Buchanan did not seize his opportunity with Mercilus gone and it might question his ability to be the guy, but I think he would be drafted not to be the guy, but a situational/spell guy. He can rotate in and add a pass rush, giving Matthews a breather, while he continues to develop. I think the questions about his ability to be a strong rusher without a superior across from him are valid.

I get your feelings on Kasa, I just felt like he would be gone by our 6th and I did not like any of the tight ends I thought would be available in the 6th or 7th.

I think that before the Harper pick our receiving core would be Nelson , Jones, Cobb, and Woods as locks. Boykin and Ross most likely compete for another spot and Harper can either compete with the previous two or be a practice squad guy.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Packers could probably throw in some UDFA WR's on the offense and Rodgers wouldn't miss a beat.
packattack86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hankins would be a great replacement for Pickett if he falls that far. Like the value of Woods. Would like to see a RB drafted earlier, not a fan of a RB w/ character concerns, give me Leveon Bell or Montee Ball.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packattack86 wrote:
Hankins would be a great replacement for Pickett if he falls that far. Like the value of Woods. Would like to see a RB drafted earlier, not a fan of a RB w/ character concerns, give me Leveon Bell or Montee Ball.

I have gone back and forth on a higher runningback. I think that the group we have now, Green/Starks/Harris, are guys that can give us an effective running game. I do not think it is going to be anything special, but it can be just enough. I think that each of the three can bring something a little different to the table and compliment one another. However, by no means is "just enough" very satisfying. I would like to add a guy in the higher rounds that can be someone to make a defense honest and help alleviate the pressure put on the passing game. I actually do not mind either of the two you mentioned, Bell or Ball, but the value was never right for me when I did the mock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: