Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jeff Ireland Safe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
skatewood2


Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 5749
Location: Kent, WA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChosenOne3188 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:
ChosenOne3188 wrote:
The only reason Tannyhill is in Miami is because of Sherman, not Ireland. You could even argue that Ireland didn't draft correctly by not trading back instead of what was thought to have been a reach.

Also, for those who argue about how we have so much cap room and so many picks...the only reason we have those are because we are losing our star/best players for crumbs and in some cases for nothing. If you guys would rather have a 2nd round pick, 2 3rd round picks, and cap space for Brandon Marshall, vontae Davis, and essentially all the free agents we will lose (jake long, Reggie bush), then Ireland has done a great job. In my mind, he has scrapped our best players for pennies and is still some how employed...We knew jake long wouldn't be good in a zone blocking scheme, why didn't Ireland know better enough to trade him while he had the chance to?
You are completly wrong for saying the only reason we have Tannehill is because of mike sherman


You honestly don't believe that the Dolphins reached for Tannehill because of Sherman? If Sherman wasn't giving the front office rave reviews, we might have Flynn under center right now. We have no idea why we stopped going after Flynn other than speculation about how philbin didn't think he was that good.


You do realize that our HC was Flynn's OC last year right? I think Philbin has more pull than Sherman does so if Philbin though that Flynn was starting material don't you think he would be here? Oh and how did Flynn do this season in his first year as a starter in Seattle? Oh wait, he got beat out by a 3rd round rookie so how does your argument hold any water? Tannyhill is here and our starter because our HC wanted him or agreed with Sherman that he was a better prospect than Flynn. As for not trading back, you have to one have a trade partner that would keep you in range to still get him and two didn't the Browns covet Tanny as well so we could have possibly lost out on Tanny if we traded back.
_________________



NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishfan4life


Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 2009
Location: santa rosa california
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChosenOne3188 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:
ChosenOne3188 wrote:
The only reason Tannyhill is in Miami is because of Sherman, not Ireland. You could even argue that Ireland didn't draft correctly by not trading back instead of what was thought to have been a reach.

Also, for those who argue about how we have so much cap room and so many picks...the only reason we have those are because we are losing our star/best players for crumbs and in some cases for nothing. If you guys would rather have a 2nd round pick, 2 3rd round picks, and cap space for Brandon Marshall, vontae Davis, and essentially all the free agents we will lose (jake long, Reggie bush), then Ireland has done a great job. In my mind, he has scrapped our best players for pennies and is still some how employed...We knew jake long wouldn't be good in a zone blocking scheme, why didn't Ireland know better enough to trade him while he had the chance to?
You are completly wrong for saying the only reason we have Tannehill is because of mike sherman


You honestly don't believe that the Dolphins reached for Tannehill because of Sherman? If Sherman wasn't giving the front office rave reviews, we might have Flynn under center right now. We have no idea why we stopped going after Flynn other than speculation about how philbin didn't think he was that good.
Peter King has stated before how he ran into Jeff Ireland at a Texas A&M game back in Oct with Ireland telling him how good he thought Tannehill could be in the NFL this was long before sherman was in the picture. Now granted Sherman helped with some insight after he was hired. I am not saying your wrong on your opinion of Ireland of if he is a good GM or not just some insight that Ireland had liked him for awhile. The Ireland debate is sorta complex to me and how much people think he had say in the decisions of the bill parcels era or not. I think he has been solid since and has a solid vision with philbin and this off season is the make or break of his career
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ovaw8lover


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 9105
Location: Dolphins Stadium
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff Ireland Safe Reply with quote

ChosenOne3188 wrote:
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afceast&id=53271

Ugh, here we go again! Thought it would finally be time for him to go and Ross keeps him around yet again....players don't want to play for him and they expect us to get better? Expect him to pull off some seriously dumb trades this offseason just like last. I don't understand how everyone can see how obviously bad he is except for Ross...[/list]


Why would any player play for the GM? Question It is fine to bash Ireland on his trades, drafts or free agent pickups but it is not fair to bash him for players not wanting to play for him. Unmotivated players are energized by their coaches. Sometimes the business side can affect performance but I have yet heard of any Ireland v. player riffs i.e Vincent Jackson v. Chargers GM.

Sometimes I think people just want to make changes for the sake of making changes. It is important for many of you to realize change is not good in professional sports. There is a restart period that takes place that involves bringing in the right guys all over again. For the sake of stability, I want Ireland in control.
_________________
"Yesterday Is History, Tomorrow Is A Mystery, And Today Is A Gift. That Is Why It Is Called The Present.""
Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alant_8


Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 182
Location: UK
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Irelands biggest fan, but i'm not complaining with the decisions hes make post Sparano, he had a good draft and has cleared tons of cap space and got picks for players who weren't a fit for Philbins Miami. This offseason Philbin has a much clearer idea of A, the talent level of the roster and B, areas or positions that need an upgrade.

Granted, a first rounder or whatever would have been great if (and it looks that way) that we arent resigning Long, and even though his play wasnt the best, i bet Tannehill felt a whole lot comfortable with Long protecting his blindside. Imagine if long was traded and he got smashed around like NE all season?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WaterBear56


Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 3166
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of Sherman but I don't think we saw his full playbook this year. I do know that Sherman is the motivator on the team and if we let him go then we need another one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dalunatic16


Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Posts: 60
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see Ireland can screw this offseason up. There is so much talent available at the positions we need. Its ok if he doesn't sign back one of our big name free agents as long as he fills the need.

If you let Smith walk. Go get Brent Grimes or Derek Cox and draft Banks/Rhodes/Poyer/Trufant.

If Hartline walks. Get Bowe/Wallace/Jennings and draft Allen/Patterson/Williams/Rodgers.

Starks walk. Odrick slides inside and you draft Werner/Moore/Jones/Jordan/Okafor/Jenkins.

And then plenty of upgrades possible at safety, guard and tackle.

He just needs to figure out what combination of players to keep,let go, draft, and go after.

Too many picks and money to not be able to adress every need.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12839
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Chiefs are expected to hire Packers director of operations John Dorsey.



I think we will regret not going after Dorsey. He has worked with Philbin previously in GB and I suggested we look into him a few months ago. I'm betting he gets the Chiefs to the playoffs before the Dolphins make it under Ireland.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dolphinemidget


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 3883
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Well by my count there have bee 7 head coaches fired today.
Some of those franchises will bring outsiders in as replacements & that means new schemes & a whole
crapload of players being cut cause they don't fit the new scheme.

Add to that we have 5 pks in rnds 1 - 3, wre 45 Mill under the cap & if you have some what of a creative/visionary mind ....

Somewhere in that malee we have to come out with a starting:
LT - LG - TE - WR & DE.


I always blamed Irelands primary failure being a man of little vision outside of meat n potatoes/trenches.

Now we have a new HC whom is Hell Bent on scoring an avg of 24 pts/gm via a West Coast Off that can go vertical.

Man ... were in great shape from where I'm sittin, just as long as LT turns out to be our #1 improvement.

sug


I have never been big on Ireland but Drafting Pouncey and Tanney, and now we have 5 picks in 3 rounds (as long as we dont trade away for stupid stuff, I want new players build through the draft, Jeff) Ireland can really help turn our club around this draft, or he could send us backwards depending on what he does with those 5 picks. My gut tells me we end up with 3 picks (I have a feeling we will trade up somewhere and use a pick getting a player, I hope I am wrong again I want picks)
_________________


Adopt a Phins 14, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
(14 Season Week-13 )
66.5% CMP - 2817 yards -20 TD's - 9 INT's - 92.1 Rat /RUSH 289 Yards 45 Atmts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ovaw8lover


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 9105
Location: Dolphins Stadium
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Quote:
The Chiefs are expected to hire Packers director of operations John Dorsey.



I think we will regret not going after Dorsey. He has worked with Philbin previously in GB and I suggested we look into him a few months ago. I'm betting he gets the Chiefs to the playoffs before the Dolphins make it under Ireland.


I dont. We have to admit part of drafting is dumb luck.
_________________
"Yesterday Is History, Tomorrow Is A Mystery, And Today Is A Gift. That Is Why It Is Called The Present.""
Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12839
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Quote:
The Chiefs are expected to hire Packers director of operations John Dorsey.



I think we will regret not going after Dorsey. He has worked with Philbin previously in GB and I suggested we look into him a few months ago. I'm betting he gets the Chiefs to the playoffs before the Dolphins make it under Ireland.


I dont. We have to admit part of drafting is dumb luck.


Whatever luck has to do with it, a monkey throwing darts at a draft board would have been about as successful as Ireland thus far. We are a weak team because of poor drafting. Virtually everyone on the roster is here because of Ireland. This is his team now and his team is a losing one....again. The definition of insanity...
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ovaw8lover


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 9105
Location: Dolphins Stadium
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Quote:
The Chiefs are expected to hire Packers director of operations John Dorsey.



I think we will regret not going after Dorsey. He has worked with Philbin previously in GB and I suggested we look into him a few months ago. I'm betting he gets the Chiefs to the playoffs before the Dolphins make it under Ireland.


I dont. We have to admit part of drafting is dumb luck.


Whatever luck has to do with it, a monkey throwing darts at a draft board would have been about as successful as Ireland thus far. We are a weak team because of poor drafting. Virtually everyone on the roster is here because of Ireland. This is his team now and his team is a losing one....again. The definition of insanity...


Dude, his picks contribute. It is not as if we have high rounders that do not even play. I do not even blame the PatWhite pick on him as Parcells admitted to that debacle. This all stems around the QB position. Chad Henne was not a bad selection at the bottom of the second round. He played the way a second round QB should. Vontae Davis was not even a bad pick. He played well in Miami. Odrick contributes and although he is not a game changer, so does Misi.
_________________
"Yesterday Is History, Tomorrow Is A Mystery, And Today Is A Gift. That Is Why It Is Called The Present.""
Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12839
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Quote:
The Chiefs are expected to hire Packers director of operations John Dorsey.



I think we will regret not going after Dorsey. He has worked with Philbin previously in GB and I suggested we look into him a few months ago. I'm betting he gets the Chiefs to the playoffs before the Dolphins make it under Ireland.


I dont. We have to admit part of drafting is dumb luck.


Whatever luck has to do with it, a monkey throwing darts at a draft board would have been about as successful as Ireland thus far. We are a weak team because of poor drafting. Virtually everyone on the roster is here because of Ireland. This is his team now and his team is a losing one....again. The definition of insanity...


Dude, his picks contribute. It is not as if we have high rounders that do not even play. I do not even blame the PatWhite pick on him as Parcells admitted to that debacle. This all stems around the QB position. Chad Henne was not a bad selection at the bottom of the second round. He played the way a second round QB should. Vontae Davis was not even a bad pick. He played well in Miami. Odrick contributes and although he is not a game changer, so does Misi.


Of course they contribute. The entire team is made of players he selected. 5 years in and our team is a losing team. Virtually all the players on the team are his. Do they contribute? That doesn't mean we are good. And I never said Ireland didn't stumble upon a pick that works out from time to time, but his body of work is not solid. His draft classes have been mediocre at best. Picking out a small handful of decent players and saying see, he can do the job, is not evidence. Any guy with a computer can read up and if given the reigns to a NFL club make selections that occasionally are successful, well, other than Matt Millen, maybe. But the point is, if you are the GM of a club and want to keep your job you need to be better than average. Ireland has not been that, and he has made some REALLY stupid moves. Its pointless to argue. The proof is in the pudding. The Dolphins continue to lose and continue to have mediocre drafts and 5 years is more than enough time.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ovaw8lover


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 9105
Location: Dolphins Stadium
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Quote:
The Chiefs are expected to hire Packers director of operations John Dorsey.



I think we will regret not going after Dorsey. He has worked with Philbin previously in GB and I suggested we look into him a few months ago. I'm betting he gets the Chiefs to the playoffs before the Dolphins make it under Ireland.


I dont. We have to admit part of drafting is dumb luck.


Whatever luck has to do with it, a monkey throwing darts at a draft board would have been about as successful as Ireland thus far. We are a weak team because of poor drafting. Virtually everyone on the roster is here because of Ireland. This is his team now and his team is a losing one....again. The definition of insanity...


Dude, his picks contribute. It is not as if we have high rounders that do not even play. I do not even blame the PatWhite pick on him as Parcells admitted to that debacle. This all stems around the QB position. Chad Henne was not a bad selection at the bottom of the second round. He played the way a second round QB should. Vontae Davis was not even a bad pick. He played well in Miami. Odrick contributes and although he is not a game changer, so does Misi.


Of course they contribute. The entire team is made of players he selected. 5 years in and our team is a losing team. Virtually all the players on the team are his. Do they contribute? That doesn't mean we are good. And I never said Ireland didn't stumble upon a pick that works out from time to time, but his body of work is not solid. His draft classes have been mediocre at best. Picking out a small handful of decent players and saying see, he can do the job, is not evidence. Any guy with a computer can read up and if given the reigns to a NFL club make selections that occasionally are successful, well, other than Matt Millen, maybe. But the point is, if you are the GM of a club and want to keep your job you need to be better than average. Ireland has not been that, and he has made some REALLY stupid moves. Its pointless to argue. The proof is in the pudding. The Dolphins continue to lose and continue to have mediocre drafts and 5 years is more than enough time.


Miami's mediocrity is the result of not seeing the bigger picture. They win meaningless games and continue finding themselves just outside the draft when high potential players drop off. Miami is like many other teams. They do not draft based on film. They do so by physical attributes. Miami will never be good without a franchise QB. So for all these idiots on here that claim I am not a fan because they win in vain, remember that come draft time when the player you covet is picked one spot ahead. This year will be no different. There was no reason Miami put forth effort to beat Buffalo. Ireland is the scapegoat because many want to rid the Fins of any residue left by Bill Parcells. I get that. Miami drafts have been safe. Risky players have a higher degree of return than safe ones. Odrick & Misi are what they are.
_________________
"Yesterday Is History, Tomorrow Is A Mystery, And Today Is A Gift. That Is Why It Is Called The Present.""
Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group